LTH Home

Check Please appearances

Check Please appearances
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm
    Post #61 - October 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm Post #61 - October 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm
    Octarine wrote:I had a great time doing this and I highly recommend sending in your suggestions to be on the show. Alpana was funny and gracious and my co guests were really nice. Foodies are good people in general.

I did this a few years ago when Catherine was hosting and can't recommend enough. Everyone was incredibly nice and it was interesting to see the inner workings of how a TV show is made.
  • Post #62 - October 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm
    Post #62 - October 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm Post #62 - October 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:I did this a few years ago when Catherine was hosting and can't recommend enough. Everyone was incredibly nice and it was interesting to see the inner workings of how a TV show is made.

Care to share a link to your efforts? Would love to see how you did and praise it, too!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - October 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    Post #63 - October 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm Post #63 - October 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:I did this a few years ago when Catherine was hosting and can't recommend enough. Everyone was incredibly nice and it was interesting to see the inner workings of how a TV show is made.

Care to share a link to your efforts? Would love to see how you did and praise it, too!

Regards,
    Cathy2

Sure. Feel free to critique. I don't mind :)

https://checkplease.wttw.com/posts/seas ... ling-house
  • Post #64 - October 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    Post #64 - October 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm Post #64 - October 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    Octarine wrote:I had a great time doing this and I highly recommend sending in your suggestions to be on the show. Alpana was funny and gracious and my co guests were really nice. Foodies are good people in general.

They really do a nice job there. When I was on a dozen years ago (with Alpana hosting), I was afraid I was going to come off sounding like an idiot -- I had never been on TV in a sustained fashion like that before -- but the wine helped and the editors did a great job cutting everything into a tight show where all the guests came across well.
  • Post #65 - October 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm
    Post #65 - October 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm Post #65 - October 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

Great job . . . but who was that clown who ordered Pad Thai?! People never fail to amaze and disappoint. :evil:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #66 - October 28th, 2019, 4:31 pm
    Post #66 - October 28th, 2019, 4:31 pm Post #66 - October 28th, 2019, 4:31 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

Great job . . . but who was that clown who ordered Pad Thai?! People never fail to amaze and disappoint. :evil:

=R=

The guy was really nice so I have nothing bad to say. But I remember he kept calling Chicago Cut the cut and well that's enough to form my impression of a person. :)

Best part of this experience is it introduced me to CMJ, which is now easily my favorite restaurant in the city
  • Post #67 - October 28th, 2019, 4:40 pm
    Post #67 - October 28th, 2019, 4:40 pm Post #67 - October 28th, 2019, 4:40 pm
    Binko wrote:They really do a nice job there. When I was on a dozen years ago (with Alpana hosting), I was afraid I was going to come off sounding like an idiot -- I had never been on TV in a sustained fashion like that before -- but the wine helped and the editors did a great job cutting everything into a tight show where all the guests came across well.

Where is the link to your efforts? :D

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #68 - October 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm
    Post #68 - October 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm Post #68 - October 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm
    It doesn't appear to be on the Check Please website, but I have it on Youtube broken down to three parts. In order of appearance on the show:

Tanoshii
    Xni-Pec (now defunct; that one was my choice.)
    Timo (now defunct)
  • Post #69 - October 28th, 2019, 5:25 pm
    Post #69 - October 28th, 2019, 5:25 pm Post #69 - October 28th, 2019, 5:25 pm
    Binko wrote:It doesn't appear to be on the Check Please website, but I have it on Youtube broken down to three parts. In order of appearance on the show:

Tanoshii
    Timo (now defunct)

I remember that segment well. Great job! And some LTH bonuses, too. There's a Trixie-Pea sighting at 3:16 (and possibly Jazzfood, screen left) and a Santander sighting at the 3:22 mark! :)

=R=
  • Post #70 - October 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm
    Post #70 - October 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm Post #70 - October 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Binko wrote:It doesn't appear to be on the Check Please website, but I have it on Youtube broken down to three parts. In order of appearance on the show:

Tanoshii
    Timo (now defunct)

I remember that segment well. Great job! And some LTH bonuses, too. There's a Trixie-Pea sighting at 3:16 (and possibly Jazzfood, screen left) and a Santander sighting at the 3:22 mark! :)

=R=

I do miss the old Xni Pec in Cicero, I have to say. Luckily, I still see Antonio and his family pretty regularly and occasionally am still able to have that great Xni-Pec food (Antonio and Luisa are such sweeties. A year or so ago I got a text from him saying that Luisa was cooking up a bunch of chiles en nogada, would I like to have some, his treat?! Uh, heck yeah! He even delivered it to me. That was perhaps my favorite dish there, though that was a seasonal special.)
  • Post #71 - October 28th, 2019, 5:35 pm
    Post #71 - October 28th, 2019, 5:35 pm Post #71 - October 28th, 2019, 5:35 pm
    Binko wrote:A year or so ago I got a text from him saying that Luisa was cooking up a bunch of chiles en nogada, would I like to have some, his treat?! Uh, heck yeah! He even delivered it to me. That was perhaps my favorite dish there, though that was a seasonal special.)

That's funny because as I watched the segment, I remembered how much I loved their version of that dish. It is quickly approaching that time of year, too.

=R=
  • Post #72 - November 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm
    Post #72 - November 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm Post #72 - November 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

WhyBeeSea, I don't know how I missed this episode. I am so glad you shared it here. I thought you did an excellent job. Like you, CMG sounded enticing and I kept note for future reference. Your segment was the best and I could feel your love for the food as you talked.
  • Post #73 - November 1st, 2019, 5:01 pm
    Post #73 - November 1st, 2019, 5:01 pm Post #73 - November 1st, 2019, 5:01 pm
    Thanks. I could never get myself to watch it so I'll take your word for it! :)

Im just glad I got to get my I hate brunch take in though!
  • Post #74 - December 24th, 2020, 8:28 pm
    Post #74 - December 24th, 2020, 8:28 pm Post #74 - December 24th, 2020, 8:28 pm
    Hi- One of my sisters ordered Christmas dinner for me at Terra and Vine, since out family is not getting together this year for Christmas. When I went to pick up my order, Alpana personally handed it to me. It was sitting on the table, but somehow I missed it when I came in, or it was not there when I came in. Alpana was too busy for me to ask, but does anybody know when they filmed the episodes of check please they are showing now? I assume it was pre pandemic. I just saw an episode last week. I don't see how they will be able to film another season until sometime this summer. By then restaurants should be open.

I have to figure out how to reheat my pasta and shrimp scampi I got at Terra and Vine and my salmon. That is the only restaurant Alpana currently owns. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #75 - December 26th, 2020, 9:04 pm
    Post #75 - December 26th, 2020, 9:04 pm Post #75 - December 26th, 2020, 9:04 pm
    The program shown this weekend was from season 18, which ran from the fall of 2018 into 2019. Links from the WTTW web site get you to a page where the programs can be listed by season. Season 19, which started in October, 2019, was the last season broadcast. Generally the visits occurred in late summer to early fall judging from comments in the programs so it is unlikely that any programs were done for season 20.
  • Post #76 - December 27th, 2020, 12:09 am
    Post #76 - December 27th, 2020, 12:09 am Post #76 - December 27th, 2020, 12:09 am
    They do let people apply to be on a future program though. My Christmas dinner from Terra and Vine was good, and the restaurant is only open from 4-8, but they are closed on Monday and Tuesday. They were busy on Christmas Eve, but I am sure Alpana could use the business. This is the only restaurant she currently owns. She used to be involved with two restaurants in Chicago too.
  • Post #77 - December 27th, 2020, 12:19 am
    Post #77 - December 27th, 2020, 12:19 am Post #77 - December 27th, 2020, 12:19 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

=R=

Imagine having the gall/arrogance to call a complete stranger a "clown" based on what food item they ordered personally...from a place that was confident enough to offer that item on their regular menu.
    Are you insulting the patron or the establishment? Or both? It has to be both, right? And if so...why?

After that, you're either "amazed" or "disappointed" that this customer ordered the offered item. The food they ordered, and then consumed, in no way affects you ( I mean, I hope it doesn't).

I know this post is over a year old, but damn, wtf is wrong with you?

Good job by WhyBeeSea to respond to that nonsense in a respectful and polite way.
  • Post #78 - December 27th, 2020, 12:29 am
    Post #78 - December 27th, 2020, 12:29 am Post #78 - December 27th, 2020, 12:29 am
    spanky wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

=R=

Imagine having the gall/arrogance to call a complete stranger a "clown" based on what food item they ordered personally...from a place that was confident enough to offer that item on their regular menu.
    Are you insulting the patron or the establishment? Or both? It has to be both, right? And if so...why?

After that, you're either "amazed" or "disappointed" that this customer ordered the offered item. The food they ordered, and then consumed, in no way affects you ( I mean, I hope it doesn't).

I know this post is over a year old, but damn, wtf is wrong with you?

Good job by WhyBeeSea to respond to that nonsense in a respectful and polite way.

Yeah, I call people I see on tv clowns all the time. That probably wasn't the first time and it probably wasn't the last.

=R=
  • Post #79 - December 27th, 2020, 7:39 am
    Post #79 - December 27th, 2020, 7:39 am Post #79 - December 27th, 2020, 7:39 am
    Xni-Pec in Cicero was a wonderful place. The food and the family were great. My wife and I were in there one night and Joe and Anna from Freddy's were there too. We had wonderful conversation with them and a couple of beers. When we went to leave, they had bought our dinners. Nice folks!
  • Post #80 - August 25th, 2021, 2:33 pm
    Post #80 - August 25th, 2021, 2:33 pm Post #80 - August 25th, 2021, 2:33 pm
    Check, Please! on WWTW is no more.

https://davidmanilow.substack.com/p/check-please

I'd like to say our upcoming 20th milestone season will be our best one ever! However, WTTW/11 and I want to go in different directions and pursue other opportunities, so it's just not to be. (Stay tuned)!

What will this mean moving forward?
  • Post #81 - August 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Post #81 - August 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm Post #81 - August 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    I am going to miss Check Please.
  • Post #82 - August 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm
    Post #82 - August 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm Post #82 - August 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm
    In a WBEZ interview yesterday, Alpana Singh emphasized the show had not been cancelled, and that she fully expected it to return under the same "Check, Please!" banner on a different platform. There followed some good analysis of whether the show could flourish again in its current format on social media, the prevailing critical consensus being updates might be needed for style, curation, and length. I would not be surprised if it bounces right back with Alpana still involved.
  • Post #83 - October 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm
    Post #83 - October 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm Post #83 - October 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm
    Crain’s Chicago Business cooks up deal with ‘Check, Please!’ creator David Manilow. https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/10/27/ ... d-manilow/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more