LTH Home

Happy Juneteenth!

Happy Juneteenth!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Happy Juneteenth!

Post #1 - June 19th, 2007, 4:11 pm
    Post #1 - June 19th, 2007, 4:11 pm Post #1 - June 19th, 2007, 4:11 pm
    Juneteenth

Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Certain foods became popular and subsequently synonymous with Juneteenth celebrations such as strawberry soda-pop. More traditional and just as popular was the barbecuing, through which Juneteenth participants could share in the spirit and aromas that their ancestors - the newly emancipated African Americans, would have experienced during their ceremonies. Hence, the barbecue pit is often established as the center of attention at Juneteenth celebrations.

Food was abundant because everyone prepared a special dish. Meats such as lamb, pork and beef which not available everyday were brought on this special occasion. A true Juneteenth celebrations left visitors well satisfied and with enough conversation to last until the next.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - June 19th, 2007, 6:26 pm
    Post #2 - June 19th, 2007, 6:26 pm Post #2 - June 19th, 2007, 6:26 pm
    An excellent rationale for getting a six-pack of strawberry soda, which I doubt I've had in 20 years.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #3 - June 20th, 2007, 2:47 pm
    Post #3 - June 20th, 2007, 2:47 pm Post #3 - June 20th, 2007, 2:47 pm
    My husband's birthday is on Juneteenth, so we always get to celebrate. We went to Irazu, which I'm going to let pass as one variation on a cuisine of the African diaspora.
  • Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 11:57 pm
    Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 11:57 pm Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 11:57 pm
    Juneteenth: The Other Independence Day

Almost ten years ago at a Culinary Historians of Chicago program, I purchased a reprint of “The Historical Cookbook of the American Negro," by the National Council of Negro Women, Inc. According to the book’s jacket, “The classic yearlong celebration of black heritage from Emancipation Proclamation Breakfast Cake to Wandering Pilgrim’s Stew.” It is arranged by calendar dates highlighting holidays and significant people with relevant recipes.

This book published in 1958 does not mention Kwanza, which originated in 1966. It does highlight a holiday celebrated since June 19th, 1865: Juneteenth (aka Freedom Day or Emancipation Day). This date commemorates the Emancipation Proclamation’s enforcement in Texas ending slavery in the United States.

President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation was issued on September 22, 1862, it became official on January 1st, 1863. During the Civil War, there were few Union troops in Texas to enforce this Executive order.

The Civil War ended with General Robert E. Lee’s surrender on April 9th, 1865. Union soldiers led by Major General Gordon Granger landed in Galveston, Texas on June 19th declaring the war was over and the enslaved were now free. These forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome any lingering resistance.

Until 1980, Juneteenth was largely celebrated only in Texas. However, it is now a state holiday or observance in 36 states including Illinois.

Since 1865, Juneteenth has been a time for thanksgiving, reflection, remembering and prayer. It is celebrated with people gathering to hear a reading of the Emancipation Proclamation followed by inspirational speeches, then settle down to a meal.

Red soda-pop and barbecue are strongly associated with Juneteenth celebrations. There are two schools in red soda pop preferences: tradition is red soda water flavored like strawberry. Since 1937, there is a regional soda named ‘Big Red,’ whose taste is difficult to pinpoint, though some suggest it tastes like bubblegum. It is perfectly acceptable to serve a strawberry soda pop.

The barbecue pit is the center of Juneteenth celebrations with pulled pork and ribs in addition to less common meats of lamb and beef. The barbecue tradition allows celebrants to share in the spirit and aromas newly emancipated slaves would have experienced during their celebrations.

“The Historical Cookbook of the American Negro,” has recipes for barbecued veal roast, Texas (beef) tongue, green beans with a hot mustard sauce, watermelon sherbet and crab meat delight. Other dishes found on Juneteenth menus are red rice with lots of tomatoes, smoothered chicken, red velvet cake and sweet potato pie.

If you have never observed Juneteenth before, it’s never too late begin. This year marks Juneteenth’s 145th anniversary. Happy Juneteenth!

“Juneteeth” Barbecued Veal Roast
    submitted by The Houston Council
    Adapted from “The Historical Cookbook of the American Negro”

4 pounds rolled veal shoulder
    Salt and pepper
    3/4 cup catsup
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    Dash cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Rub roast with salt and pepper.

Combine remaining ingredients into a sauce, then pour over roast.

Bake for 2-1/2 hours
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #5 - June 18th, 2010, 7:51 am
    Post #5 - June 18th, 2010, 7:51 am Post #5 - June 18th, 2010, 7:51 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Red soda-pop and barbecue are strongly associated with Juneteenth celebrations. There are two schools in red soda pop preferences: tradition is red soda water flavored like strawberry. Since 1937, there is a regional soda named ‘Big Red,’ whose taste is difficult to pinpoint, though some suggest it tastes like bubblegum. It is perfectly acceptable to serve a strawberry soda pop.

There are two other similar sodas that are produced by Coca Cola REGIONALLY. Fanta Strawberry Soda and Barq's Cream Soda are both red pops produced in certain markets. Also, Vess (St. Louis) and Faygo (Detroit) produce strawberry sodas.
  • Post #6 - June 18th, 2010, 8:32 am
    Post #6 - June 18th, 2010, 8:32 am Post #6 - June 18th, 2010, 8:32 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

There are two other similar sodas that are produced by Coca Cola REGIONALLY. Fanta Strawberry Soda and Barq's Cream Soda are both red pops produced in certain markets. Also, Vess (St. Louis) and Faygo (Detroit) produce strawberry sodas.

And, of course, Filbert's produces several varieties* of red pop right here in town.

* Black Cherry and Strawberry come to mind immediately

Filbert's
    3430 South Ashland Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (773) 847-1520‎
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #7 - June 18th, 2010, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - June 18th, 2010, 11:44 am Post #7 - June 18th, 2010, 11:44 am
    Hi,

I have heard of people serving Hawaiian Punch, too, which I happen to be fond of from my childhood.

Heard several reports on the news of Juneteenth celebrations on the news today.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - June 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm
    Post #8 - June 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm Post #8 - June 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm
    Hi,

I was in Peoria Packing House this afternoon. While waiting in line to pay for my purchases, I wished the guy ahead of me, "Happy Juneteenth!" He did a double-take, thanked me for the reminder and wished me the same.

Happy Juneteenth!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - June 20th, 2013, 8:09 am
    Post #9 - June 20th, 2013, 8:09 am Post #9 - June 20th, 2013, 8:09 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I was in Peoria Packing House this afternoon. While waiting in line to pay for my purchases, I wished the guy ahead of me, "Happy Juneteenth!" He did a double-take, thanked me for the reminder and wished me the same.

Happy Juneteenth!

Regards,

Only you Cathy!

You already know I didn't foget. Thanks for the Love of Freedom!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #10 - June 21st, 2013, 8:44 pm
    Post #10 - June 21st, 2013, 8:44 pm Post #10 - June 21st, 2013, 8:44 pm
    Inspired by this thread, I bought a 2-liter bottle of Big-Red at my neighborhood gas station for $0.99. Not my favorite beverage, but I thought it was fateful that I should read Cathy2's post, where I first learned of Big Red's (originally made in Waco) relationship to the holiday, then just a short while later see a bottle of it at the corner Shell station. Coincidentally, I also recently started reading Ralph Ellison's posthumously published novel which is entitled "Juneteenth".

edited to add:
    Does anybody know why red foods are associated with the holiday?
  • Post #11 - June 19th, 2014, 9:28 am
    Post #11 - June 19th, 2014, 9:28 am Post #11 - June 19th, 2014, 9:28 am
    Relish Austin: Embracing the Juneteenth spirit

Nothing says freedom like a parade and a barbecue, and if you’re talking about Juneteeth, that’s a lot of barbecues.

The holiday celebrates the date 149 years ago when slaves in Texas — who made up nearly a third of the state’s population — finally learned of the Emancipation Proclamation, more than two years after slaves in other parts of the country were freed.

Although the celebrations originated in Galveston, where Union Gen. Gordon Granger shared the proclamation on June 19, 1865, Juneteenth festivities take place not just in Texas, but all over the country with parades, concerts, sermons, picnics and barbecues in backyards and public parks.
    Austin’s Juneteenth celebrations center on Rosewood Park, which fills with families enjoying an afternoon of friendship, fellowship and food that almost always includes barbecue staples such as ribs, brisket, chicken, beans, mac and cheese, and potato salad.
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - June 19th, 2014, 9:42 am
    Post #12 - June 19th, 2014, 9:42 am Post #12 - June 19th, 2014, 9:42 am
    d4v3 wrote:edited to add:
    Does anybody know why red foods are associated with the holiday?

According to the link just above:

Big Red, which in Texas is now associated with the holiday, wasn’t invented until 1937, but a common Juneteenth drink was likely “lasses,” molasses diluted in water to create a sugary drink with a hint of color.
    But red drinks go even further back in African-American history, back across the Atlantic to the west coast of Africa, where red cola nuts and hibiscus are found.

FYI - If you contemplate making hibiscus, they are available dried in Mexican markets labeled as 'Jamaica.' Lesson learned when no clerk knew what I wanted until I figured it out on my own.
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - June 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm
    Post #13 - June 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm Post #13 - June 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm
    From Adrian Miller, whose soulfood book recently won a James Beard award, "Happy Juneteenth everyone! Don't forget to celebrate with some good barbecue, and of course, a red drink! For the ill-informed, "red" is a flavor in soul food circles, not just a color. Any cherry, cranberry, hibiscus, strawberry or tropical punch variety of Kool-Aid, pop or punch will do."
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - June 19th, 2014, 9:06 pm
    Post #14 - June 19th, 2014, 9:06 pm Post #14 - June 19th, 2014, 9:06 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:From Adrian Miller, whose soulfood book recently won a James Beard award, "Happy Juneteenth everyone! Don't forget to celebrate with some good barbecue, and of course, a red drink! For the ill-informed, "red" is a flavor in soul food circles, not just a color. Any cherry, cranberry, hibiscus, strawberry or tropical punch variety of Kool-Aid, pop or punch will do."

Done. Cranberry juice with fresh squeezed lime, a few bits of cilantro, & pineapple juice over ice.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #15 - June 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm
    Post #15 - June 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm Post #15 - June 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm
    Today marks the 150th anniversary of Juneteenth!

Huzzah!
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - June 17th, 2020, 9:49 am
    Post #16 - June 17th, 2020, 9:49 am Post #16 - June 17th, 2020, 9:49 am
    HI,

I was just explaining how I learned about Juneteenth:

The Historical Cookbook of the American Negro : The Classic Year-Round Celebration of Black Heritage from Emancipation Proclamation Breakfast Cake to Wandering Pilgrim's Stew by National Council of Negro Women Staff

It's really cool how interest in this holiday has revived over the years.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - June 17th, 2020, 8:13 pm
    Post #17 - June 17th, 2020, 8:13 pm Post #17 - June 17th, 2020, 8:13 pm
    More than 70 black-owned Chicago restaurants celebrate Juneteenth with $6.19 specials https://bit.ly/3fATpHC
    https://www.blackpeopleeats.com/junetee ... ionchicago

EVERYONE!!!! We have over 70 Restaurants registered in Chicago and other cities offering $6.19 specials this weekend for JUNETEENTH STARTING THIS FRIDAY!!! Seen the full list of specials that you can get and the days that they will be offered( some are 1 day some are all weekend) we hope that you use this list to eat good, create memories, and support black-owned restaurants. We also have put all the restaurants in a map( link in bio) so please use that for location purposes. Please use hashtag #blackpeopleeats and #juneteeth when taking pics and videos so we can share them!!! Here are the below restaurants that will be participating ( taxes may be included and some items may possibly run out)
    @twofishcrab @surfsup_oldtown ( grand opening) @lizzyjcafe @urbangrillchicago @flamminrestaurant @haires_gulf_shrimp @taylorstacoschicago @5loaveseatery @brownsugarbakeries @chicagofoodontherun @maes_que_house @dockschicago @mikkeys47express @mikkeysonstony @wilmasfamousbbq @flavours_seafoodbar @normanbistro @shawnmichelleschicago @14parishchicago @soulechicago @thewoodlawn1200 @mabesdeli @litehouseevanston @litehousegrill @cleosoncottage @southshorebrewchicago @soulshack53 @kizincreole @homeofthehoagy @bbs_icecream @luellassouthernkitchen @honey1bbq @soul2goexpress @liveandbelievenutrition @goodtogoja @poppin_dough @doughboyschgo @goldenglovescuisine @delikinginc @phlavz @thewrapbar773 @krave02 @lexington.betty @majanivegancuisine @luckeyscafe @bronzevillewingz @cantbelieveitsnotmeatinc @kilwinschicago @frontierchicago @inamaetavern @batterandberries @garifunaflava1 @emechecakery @surfsupbronzeville @nitasgumbo @flippinflavors @datdonut4real @unclejohnsbbq(no ig) @surfsupchicago @thelickingchicago @ohanaicechicago @dajerkpitevanston @plantbasedjunkiechicago haroldsbroadway (no ig) @surfsupavondale @juicedbyshic @bumburouxchi @easylivingjuicebarllc @andysunflowercafe .
    @kristis_cobbler @crazycoffeeco (online) @velvetluxepastries (online)
    @mikkeysatlanta @1bitedc @ragincajunla @loaded_and_stuffed
  • Post #18 - July 6th, 2020, 11:24 am
    Post #18 - July 6th, 2020, 11:24 am Post #18 - July 6th, 2020, 11:24 am
    HI,

I did try two $6.19 specials, which did hit the spot:

- Jerk chicken at Garafuna
    - Small rib tips at Honey 1

Almost, but once there they wanted a phoned in order:

- Mikkey's 47 Express

Anyone else?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 8:00 pm
    Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 8:00 pm Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 8:00 pm
    For the second year in a row, Black-owned restaurants around Chicago will commemorate Juneteenth by offering food specials for either $6.19 or $16.19. The two-day promotion will run June 18 and 19.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #20 - June 20th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Post #20 - June 20th, 2022, 7:52 am Post #20 - June 20th, 2022, 7:52 am
    HI,

When I began highlighting Juneteenth in 2007, I never expected it would evolve into a recognized holiday outside of Texas. I was aware in Racine area there were Juneteenth picnics, so it was beyond Texas.

Interesting how things evolve.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - June 20th, 2022, 10:54 am
    Post #21 - June 20th, 2022, 10:54 am Post #21 - June 20th, 2022, 10:54 am
    Heard fireworks here last night.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #22 - June 20th, 2022, 3:37 pm
    Post #22 - June 20th, 2022, 3:37 pm Post #22 - June 20th, 2022, 3:37 pm
    Maybe that was why I heard fireworks as I was finishing up in my garden across from the ecology center last night. I assumed it was just some kids having fun, but as I was walking towards my car, it became evident that it was professional fireworks. It was coming from maybe Skokie. Also it sounded like there was music coming from Twiggs park behind the ecology center. I looked on the city of Evanston website when I got home, and the only music scheduled at Twiggs Park this summer takes place tomorrow, 6/21. Soul and Smoke is going to be selling food at the concert tomorrow too. You can park on McCormick in the parking lot next to the Evanston ecology center.
  • Post #23 - June 20th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    Post #23 - June 20th, 2022, 6:40 pm Post #23 - June 20th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    Katie wrote:Heard fireworks here last night.

Feh. Amateur fireworks are almost nightly between Memorial Day and Independence Day.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #24 - June 21st, 2022, 3:37 pm
    Post #24 - June 21st, 2022, 3:37 pm Post #24 - June 21st, 2022, 3:37 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Katie wrote:Heard fireworks here last night.

Feh. Amateur fireworks are almost nightly between Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Agreed, but this didn't sound like backyard fireworks. Anyway, I thought it was nice (which neither I nor my dog would think of amateur fireworks), even if it was only a coincidence.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more