Colossally
    37%
    Totally
    21%
    Amazingly
    19%
    Total votes : 43
  • Post #31 - November 20th, 2007, 8:33 pm
    Post #31 - November 20th, 2007, 8:33 pm Post #31 - November 20th, 2007, 8:33 pm
    we call them the Pit Bi (plural for Pit Bull).

The little one (staley) is the most stubborn woman in the history of the world - and thats saying a lot. She's all about intimidation - she once got a hold on a dropped, raw onion. Chewed the thing apart in front of me, staring. Hilarious. She's a baby at heart though. Shes cleans the kitchen floor when i'm done because i may be the messiest cook of all time.

and Briggs. He doesn't spend any time in the kitchen. he doesn't spend any time eating anything thats not his. he doesn't chew anything. He's never gone in the house. In fact - he would prefer everyone to just sit around and be as calm as possible so he can do the same. :lol:

• Post #32 - November 20th, 2007, 9:59 pm
    Post #32 - November 20th, 2007, 9:59 pm Post #32 - November 20th, 2007, 9:59 pm
    Mhays wrote:[edited to add]One day, shortly before my wedding, we had friends and their dogs over. We left the room briefly to show off wedding plans. When we got back, I noticed that the whipped cream cake was missing from the closed container and asked the 'spouse where he'd put it. No cake anywhere. We later discovered a trace of whipped cream on one dog's nose. Many dogs steal cake - but only Mac would had the presence of mind to close and replace the empty container exactly as it was after stealing and consuming an entire cake with his accomplices.

This reminds me of a story about my grandmother's two chihuahuas, Tammy and Rusty. Tammy was the incredibly wily ringleader, and poor Rusty was her near-retarded sister. On the day of my oldest cousin's christening, my grandmother set everything up for the party they were having that afternoon. She left for the church, attended the ceremony, and came back with the rest of the family after it was done. The dogs were nowhere to be found, but they left a nice surprise for everyone. The cake had been licked clean--every last bit of icing had been licked off by tiny little chihuahua tongues. They later found two very guilty-looking dogs hiding under the furniture.

It ran in the family, too--Tammy and Rusty's "niece," Patches, was my family's first dog. Soon after they brought her home, my parents had new linoleum put into the kitchen. That week, they went to church as usual, but when they came home, they were greeted by their teensy, cheerful little chihuahua-mix puppy, who had a piece of linoleum bigger than she was hanging out of her mouth. She had ripped up the sheet and eaten half of it. They were absolutely livid, and I don't think anything Patches or our family's subsequent ill-behaved cocker spaniel ever ate after that measured up to that.
  • Post #33 - November 28th, 2007, 11:39 pm
    Post #33 - November 28th, 2007, 11:39 pm Post #33 - November 28th, 2007, 11:39 pm
    Our first dog, Roenick, a handsome, sweet chocolate Lab that we adopted from a shelter, was a binger. The first indication we had of this was when my older son was taking him over to my Mom's to stay while we went on vacation. My son made the mistake of putting the dog's anti-inflammatory meds in the back of his SUV within grabbing distance of the dog. When he arrived at my Mom's, he discovered that the dog had ripped into a heavy "childproof" drug company pill container and eaten about 30 pills. Needless to say, the dog spent most of his "vacation" in the animal hospital going through detox.

There was also the time Roenick was not acting himself and I became worried that he was sick. I called the vet and he had me bring him over. He was concerned that the dog had some intestinal problem and wanted to get some x-rays. What we saw on the x-ray looked like the "before" picture in a Liquid Plummer ad. Apparently the dog had gotten into the closet where we keep his food (the cleaning lady forgot to close the door) and helped himself to 4-5 lbs of food, which explained the beached whale appearance.

Sadly, we had to put Roenick to sleep in May and now have Pal who is part Aussie Shepherd/part Lab. His favorite snack is goose poop. Our house backs on to a pond and he loves running out the back door, chasing the geese and then snagging a few turds. I just have to make sure the poops stay OUTside. Yesterday since the chasing of the geese coincided with dinnertime, he dropped some of the poops inside the back door in the rush to his food bowl. Nice. Snotty Kleenex, underwear and socks and favorites as well.

Here's Pal looking to score his next Kleenex...

• Post #34 - January 10th, 2008, 7:26 pm
    Post #34 - January 10th, 2008, 7:26 pm Post #34 - January 10th, 2008, 7:26 pm
    More:

* Lots of bird seed. Lots. Ask my mom.
    * Two bags of cookies.
    * A baseball sized chunk of a dry cleaning bag. At least, baseball sized after it had spent some time in his stomach.

Gah.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #35 - January 10th, 2008, 10:05 pm
    Post #35 - January 10th, 2008, 10:05 pm Post #35 - January 10th, 2008, 10:05 pm
    gleam wrote:that I'd really rather he not:
      * Socks
      * Underwear
      * Hand Lotion
      * Kitty Litter, used and unused

Okay, how I missed this post the first time around is beyond me, but I just about peed myself laughing, because seem to own the same retriever.

Inky has eaten:
      * Knee high nylons
      * Socks
      * Enough underwear to stock a Victoria's Secret
      * Half a pair of jeans
      * Several pairs of pyjamas
      * A bookshelf. No joke! The shelf was at perfect mouth height
      * A throw pillow
      * A pillow sham
      * My address book
      * UNUSED feminine hygiene products
      * One dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies
      *A $65 gourmet cake that was left out to defrost
      * 8 chocolate donuts
      * A bag of bagels
      * Any kleenex he can find
      * Baby wipes
      * Body Lotion
      * Every stuffed animal we've ever given him
      * Several Hershey's Chocolate bars on 4th of July one year.

Our favorite has to be the bag of bagels. We left home one morning, only to realize we forgot something, so we turned around to get it. Upon entering the apartment, we found the dogs, lying on the couch with a bag of bagels between them, watching Saved by the Bell (we had put the TV on "sleep"). Each dog had pulled a bagel out of the bag and had it sitting in front of them. :shock:

My sister gave Inky a nickname, "The Pica puppy".

Here's the culprit:

And his sometimes partner in crime:

Kim
  • Post #36 - January 11th, 2008, 9:09 am
    Post #36 - January 11th, 2008, 9:09 am Post #36 - January 11th, 2008, 9:09 am
    An entire bag of sugar-free Hall's cough drops.
    A container of those fancy little tomatoes.
    An entire bag of non-plastic imitation "greenies".
    Poop (this includes bringing poop inside to stash into a corner for later).
    Peaches.

See my dogz at http://tinyurl.com/2zcyv3
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #37 - January 13th, 2008, 11:26 am
    Post #37 - January 13th, 2008, 11:26 am Post #37 - January 13th, 2008, 11:26 am
    dog eating flow chart

-ramon
  • Post #38 - January 13th, 2008, 5:21 pm
    Post #38 - January 13th, 2008, 5:21 pm Post #38 - January 13th, 2008, 5:21 pm
    gleam wrote:More:

* Lots of bird seed. Lots. Ask my mom.

The bird seed, yes. I'd say about four cups, distributed as follows
    1. Out the front end on day one, three returns, in three different locations, each approximately 3/4 cup
    2. Out the other end, two more returns, on the following two days, each approximately one cup.

Meanwhile, the resident dog just did this

• Post #39 - January 13th, 2008, 8:33 pm
    Post #39 - January 13th, 2008, 8:33 pm Post #39 - January 13th, 2008, 8:33 pm
    Hmm. These are instructive stories for a non-dog owner.

We are hoping to bring home our first dog (first for me AND my husband) in May, an Irish Water spaniel, and I was all nervous about the raw diet. That raw diet seems like a bargain now. LOL
  • Post #40 - January 14th, 2008, 9:06 am
    Post #40 - January 14th, 2008, 9:06 am Post #40 - January 14th, 2008, 9:06 am
    Oh yes, we had one who ate a Birkenstock sandal. Didn't chew it. He ATE it. The only thing left was a metal buckle. No ill effects as far as we could tell.
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #41 - January 14th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    Post #41 - January 14th, 2008, 3:10 pm Post #41 - January 14th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    My first dog, a huskie, (that was put to sleep about 1.5 years ago)used to love to eat all sort of bizarre things. She especially liked to eat and destroy the foam insulation in pillows. We came home one evening to find she'd eaten all the foam out of the pillows on our dining room chairs, and then eaten a hole roughly three feet in diameter through our carpeting in the living room to pull the foam out.

She also liked eating knee highs and cotton hair ties as well.

One particular Christmas she ate half of a sheet pan of fudge that was cooling and setting up on the back of the stove top. We're still not sure how she got up there. We called the vet and he told us to 'put her out in the yard on the driveway on a long dog tie'.

I asked him why, and he said he'd hold on a few minutes and then I'd know. Needless to say he also told me to get a hose to rinse the driveway off with.

Also anytime someone would put chicken legs on the grill she'd jump up there and steal them. Yes, off a HOT grill. There was no point in trying to make her understand that it was going to burn going down either.

Not the worlds brightest dog, and we still have our other dog, that's not as much of a troublemaker as this one, but, man, I miss that dog, trouble and all.
  • Post #42 - January 14th, 2008, 5:41 pm
    Post #42 - January 14th, 2008, 5:41 pm Post #42 - January 14th, 2008, 5:41 pm
    The list of items destroyed by my American Mastiff, Homer, during his teething phase (until 18 months):

2 sofas, 1 coffee table, 4 door frames (chewed the wood around the base), and the most expensive item: a rubber shower shoe.

Why was that the most expensive? Because that one finally got lodged in his lower intenstine and took an operation and $5000 to remove.

Now he's 4 years old, 175 lbs., and is happy chewing on rubber kongs and ultra-hard composite bones. Of course, he still gets his 8 oz. of ground beef every night mixed in to his 6 cups (!) of dog food, so he has no complaints.
  • Post #43 - January 14th, 2008, 6:17 pm
    Post #43 - January 14th, 2008, 6:17 pm Post #43 - January 14th, 2008, 6:17 pm
    I forgot - Romi chewed soft things with corners. Pillows mostly. And just the corners. We figured he had been weaned early and was seeking out nipply things.
    Leek

• Post #44 - January 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    Post #44 - January 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm Post #44 - January 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    I had a hard time this summer finding a good, not too expensive locking kitchen garbage can with an open/close foot pedal after a chicken bones "incident." I ended up buying one of these and it's held up well. Yeah, you could McGyver something else to an existing trash can, but the little integrated lock on this is really easy to open and close.

We used to just shove the old garbage can in a corner under a chair railing which prevented Mandy (German Shepherd/Akita mix) from getting the top all the way open. First she learned to take stuff off the top as far as her snout could get in, then she got bold and just started tipping the can over when we weren't home. The locking garbage can has been a lifesaver. But if we forget to close it and leave the house...it's all over. She sees her chance and she takes it, and it's not pretty. As a matter of fact I'm wondering if we forgot to lock it this morning.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 932&RN=777
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 043&RN=777
  • Post #45 - January 17th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    Post #45 - January 17th, 2008, 1:46 pm Post #45 - January 17th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    You have an Akita mix that doesn't eat plastic? Back in the day when we had Mac, A.K.A. Thief of Bagdad, we kept our garbage outside on the back porch - and locked the door.

A friend of mine used to tell a story about dogsitting a German Shepherd mix who had learned to open the fridge. I don't know how you get around that.
  • Post #46 - January 17th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    Post #46 - January 17th, 2008, 2:25 pm Post #46 - January 17th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    grits wrote:I had a hard time this summer finding a good, not too expensive locking kitchen garbage can with an open/close foot pedal after a chicken bones "incident." I ended up buying one of these and it's held up well. Yeah, you could McGyver something else to an existing trash can, but the little integrated lock on this is really easy to open and close.

This summer my mother-in-law gifted us with one of those automatic kitchen garbage cans. The type that opens via sesnor when you approach it.

Hubby and I were all excited until my dad came over and spotted it PRIOR to us setting it up. Had inquired about it and we explained its features to him.

He replied, "WHY would you want to give Inky access to an ALL U CAN EAT garbage buffet?"

Hubby and I looked at each other and realized the potential disaster waiting for us. The can now resides in our basement laundry room.

My dad is one smart cookie. :)

Kim
  • Post #47 - January 17th, 2008, 3:17 pm
    Post #47 - January 17th, 2008, 3:17 pm Post #47 - January 17th, 2008, 3:17 pm
    Mhays wrote:You have an Akita mix that doesn't eat plastic?

Yeah, she's actually a pretty good dog in terms of not chewing things up.

We did have to switch to wheat litter due to her obsession with the cat boxes. She was getting sick from the clumping clay litter. I think she has quite a taste for Swheatscoop now. We do try try to keep the doors half-closed so she can't get into the rooms where the litterboxes are but she's perfectly willing to wait all day for the minute we forget and are downstairs watching TV or busy. Suddenly you realize it's too quiet....
  • Post #48 - January 17th, 2008, 4:17 pm
    Post #48 - January 17th, 2008, 4:17 pm Post #48 - January 17th, 2008, 4:17 pm
    Mhays wrote:A friend of mine used to tell a story about dogsitting a German Shepherd mix who had learned to open the fridge. I don't know how you get around that.

IMO, aside from Pits, which take the cake without debate, my top favorite dog breeds include the Akita. SO SMART.

We had an Akita who learned to open the cabinet door where we kept his milkbones. He would go in there, take just 1 as to not make a discernible difference in total stock, and then shut it with his nose.

We don't know how long he was up to this, but i caught him one day red handed. Hilarious.

He also used to lay on the couch where he wasn't supposed to when we were gone. You could look out the front window from the couch and he'd keep an eye out for our car. Everytime we'd come home if you looked in that window you'd see him get up slowly and move to the floor. as if we didn't know :lol: we let him get away with that - he deserved it.
  • Post #49 - January 17th, 2008, 5:15 pm
    Post #49 - January 17th, 2008, 5:15 pm Post #49 - January 17th, 2008, 5:15 pm
    My little beagle loves to chew the hands and feet off of Barbie dolls. No other part, just the hands and feet. They must be especially chewy or something.

We have many maimed Barbies in our house. But hey, looks aren't everything ;>

edit: D'oh! I can't figure out how to add a pic. Does it have to be on another site? Can't I just upload? feh.
    Last edited by Liz in Norwood Park on January 17th, 2008, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
  • Post #50 - January 17th, 2008, 5:19 pm
    Post #50 - January 17th, 2008, 5:19 pm Post #50 - January 17th, 2008, 5:19 pm
    Sorry, duplicated post. :oops:
    Last edited by Barnew on January 19th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #51 - January 17th, 2008, 5:20 pm
    Post #51 - January 17th, 2008, 5:20 pm Post #51 - January 17th, 2008, 5:20 pm
    How do you remedy a dog opening the refrigerator - simple you have to put a hasp lock on the refrigerator. However, the important thing to remember is now that said dog (Irish Setter) can no longer open the refrigerator she has no choice but to enter basement and hit the freezer!! :evil:
  • Post #52 - January 19th, 2008, 7:29 am
    Post #52 - January 19th, 2008, 7:29 am Post #52 - January 19th, 2008, 7:29 am
    Last night, Ruby ate my daughter's entire dinner, consisting of a steak burrito, rice and beans, along with part of the styrofoam container it came in.

A few years ago she ate an entire box of Krispy Kreme donuts that we had purchased from a fundraising project for school. She ate through a heavy plastic bag to get to the box. Fortunately, she only ate one box full, before my husband came home and caught her -- there were five boxes of a dozen donuts each in the bag.

Of course, the worst, when she was a puppy, was when she ate the front fabric off my couch -- I was at work and my husband was watching tv, not even paying attention until the commercial when he looked up and it was too late -- I have a throw strategically placed over the spot where there is no fabric. Someday I'll get it reupholstered, along with my grandmother's wing chair, which is now missing the seat she chewed off. . .

I'm not sure which is worse -- seeing what my dumbass dog eats, or watching my kids scarf down their dog food when they were toddlers. One turned around when I caught her -- her cheeks were stuffed with kibble. The other was eating dog food and trying to lap up water out of the dog's dish.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #53 - January 19th, 2008, 9:14 am
    Post #53 - January 19th, 2008, 9:14 am Post #53 - January 19th, 2008, 9:14 am
    Last week our dogwalker forgot to put the muzzle back on our foster dog Angler after his walk, and he ate a sociology textbook and quite a bit of kitty litter. Not the used litter, mind you - he opened up a new bag and snacked out of that :shock:

He's a strange one though. Sometimes he snuggles with his food bowl after dinner:

As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #54 - January 19th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Post #54 - January 19th, 2008, 12:11 pm Post #54 - January 19th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:He's a strange one though. Sometimes he snuggles with his food bowl after dinner

Mine play nose hockey with theirs after dinner.
    Leek

• Post #55 - January 29th, 2008, 4:53 pm
    Post #55 - January 29th, 2008, 4:53 pm Post #55 - January 29th, 2008, 4:53 pm
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:He's a strange one though. Sometimes he snuggles with his food bowl after dinner.

Sounds like he should be posting on LTH.
  • Post #56 - January 29th, 2008, 8:12 pm
    Post #56 - January 29th, 2008, 8:12 pm Post #56 - January 29th, 2008, 8:12 pm
    We can add Crayola crayons to the list of things my dumb Lab mix eats.

My almost 2 year old son has discovered a love of drawing, but his crayons keep disappearing. We caught Inky in the act of eating them three times this week.
  • Post #57 - January 29th, 2008, 8:24 pm
    Post #57 - January 29th, 2008, 8:24 pm Post #57 - January 29th, 2008, 8:24 pm
    :D See, when Sparky was 2, he was the Crayola-eater. Dogs never touched his stuff - except for the wooden blocks all 3 of them liked to chew on...
  • Post #58 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am
    Post #58 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am Post #58 - January 30th, 2008, 11:49 am
    grits wrote:
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:He's a strange one though. Sometimes he snuggles with his food bowl after dinner.

Sounds like he should be posting on LTH.

Let me just work on teaching him how to use the digital camera, and he'll be right on it.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #59 - May 11th, 2008, 9:02 am
    Post #59 - May 11th, 2008, 9:02 am Post #59 - May 11th, 2008, 9:02 am
    I stupidly left my beloved "New Spanish Table" cookbook on an ottoman and returned home last night to find this:

I note that he ate the picture of the food on the front cover. It must have looked appetizing. I wonder if it tasted like he thought it would. :roll:
  • Post #60 - May 11th, 2008, 7:56 pm
    Post #60 - May 11th, 2008, 7:56 pm Post #60 - May 11th, 2008, 7:56 pm
    Dino, our older dog, has a wonderful habit of not chewing on anything that he should not, although we noticed a few Almond Joy wrappers passing out the backside one day, to no ill effect.

Oscar, our new addition, has done quite a job on the base boards, door frames, console table in our entry way, several dog beds, and really had a field day destroying "How to be your dog's best friend" by the monks of New Skete. All of course while we were out, so he was never caught in the act. Oh, and he's quite fond of gnawing on Dino's legs, although he never does any harm. Just puppy's playing, if you can consider a 65 lb dog a puppy.

Below you can see Oscar on his latest conquest (used to be a bed). Also note the leg of gnawed on table in the front left.

Dino, taking his turn on the new digs.

And the two brothers, eating snake.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more