LTH Home

Today's The Day I'm Done With . . . . [Fill in the Blank]

Today's The Day I'm Done With . . . . [Fill in the Blank]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Today's The Day I'm Done With . . . . [Fill in the Blank]

Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm
    Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm
    In the movie Adaptation, there was dialogue that went like this:

Adaptation wrote:John Laroche: Then one morning, I woke up and said, "Fuck fish." I renounce fish, I will never set foot in that ocean again. And there hasn't been a time where I have stuck so much as a toe back in that ocean.
    Susan Orlean: But why?
    John Laroche: Done with fish.

Did you ever have a precise time and moment when you just decided that you were done with a particular food?

This afternoon, I decided that I renounce smoked turkey in the luncheon meat form. Enough with the fake smoke-y taste that lingers almost as indefinitely as Malort.

Done with smoked turkey.
  • Post #2 - September 10th, 2008, 12:39 pm
    Post #2 - September 10th, 2008, 12:39 pm Post #2 - September 10th, 2008, 12:39 pm
    Onion rings.

After trying for years and years to enjoy them, one day I ordered the Flaming Hot Cheeto onion rings from a bar close to my house.

"Just order them..." the menu said (literally, under the listing for the dish). I figured, I like Flaming Hot Cheetos, maybe this will give me the boost I need to finally appreciate them.

Nope. Not only did they lack the familiar searing burn of Flaming Hot Cheetos, these were the weakest onion rings I have ever encountered.

And since then, never again.
  • Post #3 - September 10th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    Post #3 - September 10th, 2008, 12:48 pm Post #3 - September 10th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    1) McDonalds, I have been clean for over 2.5 years now

2) A Philly Cheese steak in Chicago, or anywhere else beside Philadelphia - the ones I have had have been crap outside of Philadelphia.

3) I had given up on ordering ribs in Chicago because of what places like Carsons, Twin Anchors, & Gale Street passed off as bbq, but once Smoque, and Honey 1 came about I changed my mind, and will order bbq at these 2 spots.
  • Post #4 - September 10th, 2008, 12:52 pm
    Post #4 - September 10th, 2008, 12:52 pm Post #4 - September 10th, 2008, 12:52 pm
    This afternoon, I decided that I renounce smoked turkey in the luncheon meat form.

I decided that with commercial roast beef some years ago. I realized that it had a certain... embalmed character that I never wanted to taste again. If I crave a roast beef sandwich (which I rarely do), I can go to Paulina and get some freshly sliced off an in-house-roasted beef.

Unfortunately, I had this epiphany after my first taste of a 3-lb. package of sliced roast beef from Costco.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #5 - September 10th, 2008, 1:47 pm
    Post #5 - September 10th, 2008, 1:47 pm Post #5 - September 10th, 2008, 1:47 pm
    The first that comes to my mind is pre-chopped garlic.
    Yes, it's a time saver, but I have found nothing that it can be used to improve the flavor of a dish nearly as much as real garlic.

Chopping to a consistent size is a bit of a pain, but pressed garlic has a different flavor. If I really want intense garlic flavor, I grate it into shavings on a microplane.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - September 10th, 2008, 2:45 pm
    Post #6 - September 10th, 2008, 2:45 pm Post #6 - September 10th, 2008, 2:45 pm
    aschie30 wrote:In the movie Adaptation, there was dialogue that went like this:

Adaptation wrote:John Laroche: Then one morning, I woke up and said, "Fuck fish." I renounce fish, I will never set foot in that ocean again. And there hasn't been a time where I have stuck so much as a toe back in that ocean.
    Susan Orlean: But why?
    John Laroche: Done with fish.

Did you ever have a precise time and moment when you just decided that you were done with a particular food?

This afternoon, I decided that I renounce smoked turkey in the luncheon meat form. Enough with the fake smoke-y taste that lingers almost as indefinitely as Malort.

Done with smoked turkey.

It's taken years of back-and-forth, but I'm seriously done with all processed sandwich meats. They are terrible across the board and it makes me belch disgusting, watery, meat-flavored burps.

I promise this time its over. Carl Buddig will never reel me in again!
  • Post #7 - September 10th, 2008, 3:24 pm
    Post #7 - September 10th, 2008, 3:24 pm Post #7 - September 10th, 2008, 3:24 pm
    jimswside wrote:1) McDonalds, I have been clean for over 2.5 years now

Story about man who NEVER tires of McDonald's:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/10/big.ma ... index.html
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #8 - September 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm
    Post #8 - September 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm Post #8 - September 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm
    Chicken Breasts. What the hell was I ever thinking? Thighs taste so much better. Haven't had a chicken breast in about two and a half years.
  • Post #9 - September 10th, 2008, 9:52 pm
    Post #9 - September 10th, 2008, 9:52 pm Post #9 - September 10th, 2008, 9:52 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:Thighs taste so much better.

I love chicken thighs. I even made up a song about them that I sing when I make fried chicken, but that's for another thread.

Anyways, after my white castle experience (Sorry Ronnie) (see worst thing you've eaten lately thread) I decided I would no longer go into chain fast food places. I'm always disappointed and I end up spending as much as I would have going into an unknown restaurant. The only reason I still did it was there were not surprises, I knew what I was getting. But I'll never do it again. I repent to the food gods.
    Heather

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." Joan Gussow
  • Post #10 - September 11th, 2008, 12:07 am
    Post #10 - September 11th, 2008, 12:07 am Post #10 - September 11th, 2008, 12:07 am
    Baby corn in any Thai food. Chunks of tomato or uncooked rib-on bell pepper in any Chinese food. The abomination that is the Arby-Q sandwich.

Paying $3-4 for wasteful plastic packages of wilting herbs (sometimes the only option even at Whole Foods - WTF!)
  • Post #11 - September 11th, 2008, 12:50 am
    Post #11 - September 11th, 2008, 12:50 am Post #11 - September 11th, 2008, 12:50 am
    Soda, Pop, Coke...whatever you may call it. I decided one day (over 4 years ago) that I'd no longer drink pop to try and lose weight (since I saw my cousin lose a quick 20 lbs. from doing the same) and within 3-4 months I was down 25 lbs. :lol: I haven't gained the weight back or drank pop since then. :wink:

And no...I wasn't fat but I didn't like my weight even though it may have been healthy at the time...and according to charts I believe I'm underweight at the moment (6'7 and 180 lbs) but I eat enough to feed a small family and don't purposely try to lose weight...I'm just one of those lucky ones. :D (maybe its the miles and miles I walk each day traveling to work or being a line cook...maybe)
    GOOD TIMES!
  • Post #12 - September 11th, 2008, 8:27 am
    Post #12 - September 11th, 2008, 8:27 am Post #12 - September 11th, 2008, 8:27 am
    Jayz wrote:Soda, Pop, Coke...whatever you may call it.

When I was a freshman in college, I probably drank 5-6 sodas a day from the fountain in the cafeteria. Back home, the dentist asked what was happening to my teeth, and advised me to cut back.

So I quit.

I'll occasionally have some of my wife's Dr. Pepper or fountain Coke nowadays, but I can't remember the last time I ordered a soda with a meal.

Incidentally, in college, I was really excited about the buck or two I saved each time I didn't order a coke with my meal. Then I turned 21.
  • Post #13 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #13 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #13 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Jayz wrote:Soda, Pop, Coke...whatever you may call it. I decided one day (over 4 years ago) that I'd no longer drink pop to try and lose weight (since I saw my cousin lose a quick 20 lbs. from doing the same) and within 3-4 months I was down 25 lbs. :lol: I haven't gained the weight back or drank pop since then. :wink:

And no...I wasn't fat but I didn't like my weight even though it may have been healthy at the time...and according to charts I believe I'm underweight at the moment (6'7 and 180 lbs) but I eat enough to feed a small family and don't purposely try to lose weight...I'm just one of those lucky ones. :D (maybe its the miles and miles I walk each day traveling to work or being a line cook...maybe)

interesting, losing 20 lbs., or at least my beer belly sounds good... however, I think in my case it may be the daily beers, and shots of tequila that have been my issue, rather than the 2-3 cans of coke/pepsi I drink a day. :lol:
  • Post #14 - September 11th, 2008, 10:25 am
    Post #14 - September 11th, 2008, 10:25 am Post #14 - September 11th, 2008, 10:25 am
    Soda, fast food and Processed Food are my big ones and I gave them up about five years ago. I try my best to stay away from as much of it as possible but it's EVERYWHERE! I had Diet Coke last week and forgot how slimy soda makes me feel. I drink water all day long and will have ice tea when dining out.

Jayz, 6'7" and 180 pounds is not overly thin but you're on target with why; you're very active. My son is 6'7" with a nice build at 210 but was 150 for a long time. He had to gain weight to get rid of the weight exemption in the Guard.

Jimswside, Dave and Busters makes a very nice Philly and the roll is very close. When I lived in Philly, I did not like the traditional places at all.
  • Post #15 - September 11th, 2008, 10:31 am
    Post #15 - September 11th, 2008, 10:31 am Post #15 - September 11th, 2008, 10:31 am
    dees_1 wrote:Soda, fast food and Processed Food are my big ones and I gave them up about five years ago. I try my best to stay away from as much of it as possible but it's EVERYWHERE! I had Diet Coke last week and forgot how slimy soda makes me feel. I drink water all day long and will have ice tea when dining out.

Jayz, 6'7" and 180 pounds is not overly thin but you're on target with why; you're very active. My son is 6'7" with a nice build at 210 but was 150 for a long time. He had to gain weight to get rid of the weight exemption in the Guard.

Jimswside, Dave and Busters makes a very nice Philly and the roll is very close. When I lived in Philly, I did not like the traditional places at all.

Thanks for the tip, however I have had D & B's version and although not the worst I have had its not quite there. I am not a Cheese WHiz guy, but a grilled onions, steak, and white american cheese fan. The closest I found that was really good was a place that closed a while back in Naperville - Donti's Deli.
  • Post #16 - September 11th, 2008, 11:29 am
    Post #16 - September 11th, 2008, 11:29 am Post #16 - September 11th, 2008, 11:29 am
    Tomatoes out of season. Actually, I was done with that several years ago.
  • Post #17 - September 11th, 2008, 12:23 pm
    Post #17 - September 11th, 2008, 12:23 pm Post #17 - September 11th, 2008, 12:23 pm
    Chicken that tastes like fish...

In most of the salad-based eateries in the loop the ubiquitous chicken caeser salad or buffalo chicken salads, etc. contain shredded "chicken" breast that really tasts like mild tuna fish.

I am done with this kind of chicken. No more!
  • Post #18 - September 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm
    Post #18 - September 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm Post #18 - September 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm
    Non-local/"potato" strawberries.
  • Post #19 - September 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm
    Post #19 - September 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm Post #19 - September 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm
    Scallops unless I am in an area where there is a body of saltwater.
    I am tired of eating seafood that reeks of ammonia.
    doesn't matter where I buy them, I'm wasting my hard-earned $$$
    Even restaurants that shouldn't be are a dissapointment.
    done, done, done.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #20 - September 11th, 2008, 3:45 pm
    Post #20 - September 11th, 2008, 3:45 pm Post #20 - September 11th, 2008, 3:45 pm
    gmonkey wrote:Onion rings.

After trying for years and years to enjoy them, one day I ordered the Flaming Hot Cheeto onion rings from a bar close to my house.

"Just order them..." the menu said (literally, under the listing for the dish). I figured, I like Flaming Hot Cheetos, maybe this will give me the boost I need to finally appreciate them.

Nope. Not only did they lack the familiar searing burn of Flaming Hot Cheetos, these were the weakest onion rings I have ever encountered.

I am not going to try to persuade you to like onion rings, but I would suggest that writing them off after trying a bizarre flavorized variant is maybe not completely logical.

I'd also point out that it is totally fair to divide the world of onion rings into groups based on coating (batter or breading) and innards (whole rings or diced mush), and probably also on size, and from there to think that some of those are totally foul and others are brilliant.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #21 - September 11th, 2008, 9:37 pm
    Post #21 - September 11th, 2008, 9:37 pm Post #21 - September 11th, 2008, 9:37 pm
    I don't think I will ever give up on any food. I am always hopeful.
  • Post #22 - September 11th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    Post #22 - September 11th, 2008, 10:44 pm Post #22 - September 11th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    Giving up on exotic meats. As fun as it sounds, most really don't taste all that different from more common meats. Maybe I should focus more of good flavors than stuff that doesn't do much more than let people tell their friends "You'll never guess what I had to eat ..."

No guarantee this will remain valid beyond 24 hours of posting.
  • Post #23 - September 12th, 2008, 6:14 am
    Post #23 - September 12th, 2008, 6:14 am Post #23 - September 12th, 2008, 6:14 am
    I don't know, that yak was pretty easy to tell from beef.
  • Post #24 - September 12th, 2008, 6:25 am
    Post #24 - September 12th, 2008, 6:25 am Post #24 - September 12th, 2008, 6:25 am
    MikeG-I would have thought you'd say "Panera."

I guess I'd get coffee and a roll there, but I'm done with lunch items after an execrable "Chinese" chicken salad. I know. Shame on me. But it was preceded by a number of bad sandwiches. Bad even without bacon.

The unfortunate part is that Panera is the only quick lunch office other than Roy Rogers and Dunkin Donuts near my office. Brown bagging it is clearly the way to go.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #25 - September 12th, 2008, 6:28 am
    Post #25 - September 12th, 2008, 6:28 am Post #25 - September 12th, 2008, 6:28 am
    No, sometimes Panera's inevitable when I'm with the kids. Or easiest. But I order a lot more cautiously since The Frontega Debacle.
  • Post #26 - September 12th, 2008, 7:35 am
    Post #26 - September 12th, 2008, 7:35 am Post #26 - September 12th, 2008, 7:35 am
    nr706 wrote:... than let people tell their friends "You'll never guess what I had to eat ..."

:D Hey, I love that game!

Wish I could comment on the Yak - but I think it speaks volumes that twice now, you've brought an exotic meat to the picnic that was gone by the time I got to it.
  • Post #27 - September 12th, 2008, 8:00 am
    Post #27 - September 12th, 2008, 8:00 am Post #27 - September 12th, 2008, 8:00 am
    I really liked the Yak too!,
    and the raccon,
    and have enjoyed eating any number of exotic items...
    I kinda get a little kick out of that game...
    especially when it's as tasty as the yak...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #28 - September 12th, 2008, 8:01 am
    Post #28 - September 12th, 2008, 8:01 am Post #28 - September 12th, 2008, 8:01 am
    nr706,

What is your post-event opinion on bringing exotic eggs? Or shall I refer to it as an exotic egg? :)

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #29 - September 12th, 2008, 8:10 am
    Post #29 - September 12th, 2008, 8:10 am Post #29 - September 12th, 2008, 8:10 am
    jimswside wrote:1) McDonalds, I have been clean for over 2.5 years now

I too am done with McDonald's. Hello, my name is Pie, and I've been clean for almost 9 years.
    Fresh cherries, as discussed quite angrily on a previous post.
    Bottled juice, other than Simply Orange and their cousins, for the most part.
    Roast pork, roast beef and corned beef from the supermarket deli case (although roast & corned beef from a real deli is A-OK).
    Fresh pears and anything non-desserty that contains pears. Except for one mistake a few years ago, I haven't eaten one since the 80s.
    Malt beverages. I don't mean beer, I never liked beer, but those non-alcoholic drinks you see in ethnic stores. Blech.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #30 - September 12th, 2008, 8:39 am
    Post #30 - September 12th, 2008, 8:39 am Post #30 - September 12th, 2008, 8:39 am
    Fresh cherries? :shock:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more