LTH Home

You eat WHAT for breakfast?

You eat WHAT for breakfast?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 10
  • Post #211 - January 20th, 2022, 2:00 pm
    Post #211 - January 20th, 2022, 2:00 pm Post #211 - January 20th, 2022, 2:00 pm
    WFH today, had a bit of time between calls and wanted to use up some leftovers. Toaster oven'd a stack consisting of the last remaining 'keto' cake (made from last week's chicken dredge), a section of charcoal-grilled kielbasa (split lengthwise) and a couple slices of cheese. When it was warmed up and melted, I topped it with a sunnyside-up egg, some chives and some grated parmigiano reggiano . . .

Breakfast Keto Cake

Yolk

Now, back to my regularly-scheduled workday. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #212 - February 20th, 2022, 3:35 pm
    Post #212 - February 20th, 2022, 3:35 pm Post #212 - February 20th, 2022, 3:35 pm
    Started off my Sunday by putting to use some of the za'atar spice blend that one of our generous guests left us after last night's dinner . . .

Za'atar Scrambled Eggs
    Garnished with feta and scallions. With za'atar-spiced fried pita chips (also left by our guest) and leftover/reheated bacon and chicken sausage.

=R=
  • Post #213 - February 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Post #213 - February 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm Post #213 - February 20th, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Breakfast today was one of my best sammich versions yet:
    Homemade focaccia split and toasted with a little fresh mozzarella, minced Calabrian chiles, a little balsamic drizzle, two slices of bacon, fresh spinach (arugula would have been better) and a runny fried egg. Might just repeat that tomorrow.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #214 - February 20th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    Post #214 - February 20th, 2022, 5:05 pm Post #214 - February 20th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    My breakfast for the last two days has been scrapple and egg sandwiches. Jones Dairy Farm is the only brand that is availble in Arizona.
  • Post #215 - February 21st, 2022, 10:25 am
    Post #215 - February 21st, 2022, 10:25 am Post #215 - February 21st, 2022, 10:25 am
    I went to the Yolk Test Kitchen on Milwaukee Av. for brunch. I am so glad that this survived the pandemic.

Had a Cauliflower+Kale frittata from the experimental menu. I liked it a lot; as it was both filling and not-filling at the same time! Filling in terms of enough to satiate. Not-filling in terms of making me feel like I have eaten a Cow. :) Plus they serve all kinds of Coffee concoctions like a regular hipster Coffeehouse alongside. That was surprising for what is basically a Breakfast place.

I am going to try and make this a regular thing. There's an Aldi next door; so I can get my groceries done alongside!
  • Post #216 - February 21st, 2022, 7:49 pm
    Post #216 - February 21st, 2022, 7:49 pm Post #216 - February 21st, 2022, 7:49 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:I went to the Yolk Test Kitchen on Milwaukee Av. for brunch. I am so glad that this survived the pandemic.

Had a Cauliflower+Kale frittata from the experimental menu. I liked it a lot; as it was both filling and not-filling at the same time! Filling in terms of enough to satiate. Not-filling in terms of making me feel like I have eaten a Cow. :) Plus they serve all kinds of Coffee concoctions like a regular hipster Coffeehouse alongside. That was surprising for what is basically a Breakfast place.

I am going to try and make this a regular thing. There's an Aldi next door; so I can get my groceries done alongside!

This sounds really great. Did you get the sense of what, if anything, was done to the veggies before they were frittata'd?

=R=
  • Post #217 - February 22nd, 2022, 9:28 am
    Post #217 - February 22nd, 2022, 9:28 am Post #217 - February 22nd, 2022, 9:28 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This sounds really great. Did you get the sense of what, if anything, was done to the veggies before they were frittata'd?

=R=

As far as I could tell, nothing. It was served on a cast Iron skillet; so I am assuming they cooked it on a stove and heated it in the oven before serving. My one complaint was that some of the Cauliflower chunks were too large; and I told that to the server (who agreed with me).

My bigger complaint with many places is the use of feta or goat cheese etc., in hot dishes. Like quesadillas and frittatas. Those cheeses don't melt and the whole point of it is lost on me. Quesadilla is supposed to be a melt! WTF?!?! So I asked the feta that came with the dish to be replaced with Pepperjack.

The place also makes/has it's own house brand hot sauces (regular Hot and Habanero), along with the Cholula.

I have been going to this place since they opened their first one on Michigan Ave in 2006. So I am glad they got through the pandemic.
  • Post #218 - February 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    Post #218 - February 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm Post #218 - February 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    Instead of another omelet, I started out the day by taking another stab at my friend's low-carb muffin recipe. It went well the first time and it's just as useful as an omelet -- maybe more so -- for getting RID of some leftovers . . .

Savory Low-Carb Breakfast Muffins
    Made primarily of almond flour, oat fiber, Bulgarian yogurt and eggs, these also contain Newsom's 'Preacher' ham, some leftover sausage, three kinds of cheese (manchego, gruyere and cheddar), some sauteed onions & scallions, some chives, etc.

Again, they turned out really well. I like this base formulation because once set, it allows for a lot of flexibility. And making a dozen keeps the family provisioned with some filling, grab-and-go breakfast items for the entire week.

=R=
  • Post #219 - March 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm
    Post #219 - March 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm Post #219 - March 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm
    Plenty of leftovers for dinner, so no major cook today but I managed to work a few non-dinner leftovers into another batch of savory, low-carb breakfast muffins . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Gyuto, 210mm
    Everything but the dry-bulk ingredients (almond flour, oat fiber & golden flax seed meal) . . . leftover breakfast sausage, rice vinegar, eggs, grated Irish cheddar, leftover charcoal-grilled kielbasa, buttermilk, Greek-style yogurt, sauteed onions, spice plate (salt, black pepper, thyme, rosemary), scallion greens, leftover sauteed mushrooms, baking soda, cheddar cheese powder, cheddar cheese mini cubes and chives.

The only ingredients I actually measure are the dry-bulk items, the salt, baking soda and vinegar. Other than the eggs, the rest I just eyeball. After I mix everything together, I add in a enough buttermilk to bring the batter to bring it to what looks like the right consistency. From there, scoop the batter into a well-sprayed muffin tin and convection bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes (until an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly). Today, this ended up making 12 muffins, plus a little buddy, which I baked off in a separate square ramekin and then cut into four pieces . . .

Plated Up

As you can see, unlike the last couple of runs, these stuck a little bit coming out of the tin. I'm not really sure why. I thought I'd sprayed it well and I don't think I modified the recipe in any significant way. Maybe the 30g of flax seed meal I included this time caused it or maybe the last two attempts were beginner's luck. :lol: Fwiw, I thought this was the best tasting batch so far, so a little sticking didn't bother me too much.

=R=
  • Post #220 - March 26th, 2022, 10:56 am
    Post #220 - March 26th, 2022, 10:56 am Post #220 - March 26th, 2022, 10:56 am
    Buncha' business going into another round of low-carb breakfast muffins (aka meal-replacing breakfast bombs). This isn't all of it but it's everything I cut, plus some other stuff . . .

Mise En Place & Shigeki Tanaka Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Eggs, yogurt, cubed cheddar, grated/aged cheddar, spice plate (salt, black pepper, Manale rub, thyme, rosemary), fresh chives, red finger chiles & jalapeno, unsalted butter, leftover kielbasa, onions, scallions and buttermilk.

Decided to do these as bars in a 9x13" cake pan, instead of muffins, which worked out very well. Packing these up for grab-and-go during the week . . .

Breakfast Bombs

=R=
  • Post #221 - March 26th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    Post #221 - March 26th, 2022, 2:11 pm Post #221 - March 26th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    In spite of the fact that I now have a freshly baked batch of breakfast bars available, it was use it or lose it time for some leftover St. Patrick's Day corned beef, so why not hash it up?

Mise En Place & Shigeki Tanaka Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Whole milk, russet potato, leftover corned beef, fried shallot oil and yellow onion. Not pictured but used liberally were salt, black pepper and Manale spice mix.

On The Platter
    Corned Beef Hash & (mostly) Sunny Side Up eggs. Garnished with chives. I meatloaf'd the eggs . . . aka, 2 out of 3 ain't bad ;).

=R=
  • Post #222 - March 27th, 2022, 12:53 pm
    Post #222 - March 27th, 2022, 12:53 pm Post #222 - March 27th, 2022, 12:53 pm
    I guess not everyone loves breakfast bombs as much as I do, so I omeletized the remainder of the corned beef hash . . .

Corned Beef Hash Omelet
    Toasted/buttered baguette. Garnished with chives.

=R=
  • Post #223 - April 17th, 2022, 6:23 pm
    Post #223 - April 17th, 2022, 6:23 pm Post #223 - April 17th, 2022, 6:23 pm
    Went out for Easter dinner (wow, does that happen early!) but before that, cranked out another batch of low-carb breakfast bombs . . .

Low-Carb Breakfast Bombs
    Newsom 'Preacher' Ham, leftover charcoal-grilled kielbasa, cheeses, scallions, jalapenos, red hot finger chiles and assorted herbs. Base was 311g almond flour, 85g oat fiber, 56.5g golden flax seed meal, 6 large eggs, 150g full-fat yogurt and splashes of 2% buttermilk to bring it to the desired pre-baked consistency.

These will be great grab & go's throughout the week.

=R=
  • Post #224 - May 24th, 2022, 11:37 am
    Post #224 - May 24th, 2022, 11:37 am Post #224 - May 24th, 2022, 11:37 am
    Jennie's sister and her husband spent the night. She does not eat eggs, so I made biscuits and gravy. A quick biscuit recipe and a quick gravy recipe from Cook's Country.
  • Post #225 - May 26th, 2022, 11:31 pm
    Post #225 - May 26th, 2022, 11:31 pm Post #225 - May 26th, 2022, 11:31 pm
    I took advantage of working from home on Thursday to gussy up some leftover restaurant tadka dal for brunch . . .

Leftover/Microwaved Tadka Dal w/ Sunnyside Up Eggs
    Garnished with chives/blossoms, cotija and a few, better-than-they-should-be hothouse tomatoes.

=R=
  • Post #226 - June 19th, 2022, 2:26 pm
    Post #226 - June 19th, 2022, 2:26 pm Post #226 - June 19th, 2022, 2:26 pm
    Working to get RID of some expiring Mexican chorizo that I didn't want to freeze, so combined it with some sauteed onions/peppers/garlic, eggs, kefir and almond flour . . .

Chorizo Cakes & Eggs

=R=
  • Post #227 - June 19th, 2022, 2:47 pm
    Post #227 - June 19th, 2022, 2:47 pm Post #227 - June 19th, 2022, 2:47 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Chorizo Cakes & Eggs

Nice!

No picture but, I had leftover Gene & Georgetti porterhouse on a bialy.

G&G is so completely Old School I thought a nun was going to slap my hand with a wooden ruler.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #228 - September 10th, 2022, 1:15 pm
    Post #228 - September 10th, 2022, 1:15 pm Post #228 - September 10th, 2022, 1:15 pm
    Topped the remainder of some leftover homemade dal fry with a trio of sunny side-up eggs . . .

Dal Fry & Eggs
    Garnished with scallions, cotija and homemade G Wiv-recipe chile oil.

=R=
  • Post #229 - September 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm
    Post #229 - September 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm Post #229 - September 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm
    While cooking a pot of beans today, I decided that a batch of breakfast bombs would be a great way to clean even more stuff out of the fridge. Here's the cutting/grating portion of that prep . . .

Breakfast Bomb Mise En Place & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
    Grated swiss cheese, scallions, leftover sausage trio ('grill,' cevap, fresh Polish), red jalapeno, cayenne and diced 'Merikan cheese.

There's a lot more to these (almond flour, oat fiber, flax meal, eggs, spices, etc.) but this represents most of the labor. The rest is pretty much measuring, mixing and baking. They turned out nicely . . .

Breakfast Bombs
    Once these fully cool, I'll wrap them individually in foil, so they'll be ready to go in the mornings this week.

=R=
  • Post #230 - October 8th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Post #230 - October 8th, 2022, 12:57 pm Post #230 - October 8th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Heading out for dinner tonight but had a brief breakfast/brunch to-do list. Have some eggs, check. Use up some leftovers, check. Put the last of our homegrown tomatoes to use, check.

Leftover/Reheated Marcella Beans & Sunnyside-Up Eggs
    Garnished with homegrown tomatoes & chives, cotija and homemade G Wiv-recipe chile oil.

=R=
  • Post #231 - October 15th, 2022, 2:06 pm
    Post #231 - October 15th, 2022, 2:06 pm Post #231 - October 15th, 2022, 2:06 pm
    More of the same as last weekend. One of my favorite breakfasts. Finishing up the leftover Marcella beans . . .

Plated Up
    Leftover/reheated Marcella beans topped with a couple of sunnyside-up eggs. Garnished with chives, cotija, homemade sambal and homemade G Wiv-recipe chile oil.

=R=
  • Post #232 - November 20th, 2022, 10:29 am
    Post #232 - November 20th, 2022, 10:29 am Post #232 - November 20th, 2022, 10:29 am
    So yesterday I had more crab rangoon filling than I had wrappers.
    I had some of it (cold) on toast for lunch just then, and was wrapping the rest up to put in the fridge when SueF said, "How about Crab Benedict?"

Man this was good:
    (top to bottom)
    Egg fried in butter, sprinkling of salt and pepper
    Warmed crab rangoon filling (mostly krab and cream cheese, some mozz, scallions, garlic, mayo, sriracha, worcestershire)
    Sauteed spinach (a little white wine for acid and steaming)
    Toasted english muffin

I'd definitely do something like this again for a special occasion brunch.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #233 - November 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm
    Post #233 - November 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm Post #233 - November 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Leftover turkey Congee.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #234 - November 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    Post #234 - November 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm Post #234 - November 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    JoelF wrote:So yesterday I had more crab rangoon filling than I had wrappers.
    I had some of it (cold) on toast for lunch just then, and was wrapping the rest up to put in the fridge when SueF said, "How about Crab Benedict?"

For the lazy man (or woman) Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club makes an awesome crab cake benedict.
  • Post #235 - December 4th, 2022, 4:42 pm
    Post #235 - December 4th, 2022, 4:42 pm Post #235 - December 4th, 2022, 4:42 pm
    bw77 wrote:Leftover turkey Congee.

Looks great and a really nice way to get deploy that bird! :)

It had been a while since I made them and I had the right combination of inventory and leftovers, so I started the cooking day with another round of breakfast bombs . . .

Mise En Place & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Grated aged cheddar, sauteed mushrooms, red jalapeno, leftover kielbasa & cevaps, 'Merican cheese cubes, green jalapeno, minced shallots, spice plate (salt, black pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme) and scallions. This is the cutting/grating portion of the setup.

Plated Up
    Breakfast bombs for the next week or so.

=R=
  • Post #236 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:34 pm
    Post #236 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:34 pm Post #236 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:34 pm
    I baked these at around dinner time and after a few hours, they were cooled, set and ready to slice. Nice to have some grab and go for during the week . . .

Breakfast Bombs & Masakage Koishi Gyuto, 240mm

=R=
  • Post #237 - January 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    Post #237 - January 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm Post #237 - January 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    Couldn't just let the leftover sausage gravy from last weekend's biscuits & gravy go to waste . . .

Pepper Jack, American Cheese & Caramelized Onion Omelet
    Leftover/reheated sausage gravy and some more toasted/buttered caramelized onion bread from Loaf Lounge.

=R=
  • Post #238 - February 19th, 2023, 6:19 pm
    Post #238 - February 19th, 2023, 6:19 pm Post #238 - February 19th, 2023, 6:19 pm
    Didn't make dinner tonight but made some breakfasts this morning -- one for now and some for later. First, the house special Sunday breakfast, leftovers omelet . . .

Leftovers Omelet For Two
    Newsom 'Preacher' ham, salami, leftover roasted broccoli, sauteed peppers & onions, assorted cheeses. Toasted/buttered ciabatta.

Next up, another round of 'grab & go' breakfast bombs for the upcoming week . . .

Partial Mise En Place, Masakage White #2 Shimo Gyuto, 210mm & Global Cheese Knife
    Most of the cutting/chopping/grating portion of the prep: 'Merikan cheese, scallions & sweet onion, green & red jalapenos, salami, tasso, grated sharp cheddar & Jarlsberg, tasso, Newsom 'Preacher' Ham & leftover charcoal-grilled kielbasa.

All In
    After sauteing the meats, onions and chiles (and letting them cool), added everything above to a batter of almond flour, oat fiber, flax seed meal, eggs, full-fat Greek yogurt, buttermilk, vinegar, baking soda and baking powder, along with salt, black pepper, dried sage/rosemary and thyme. Convection baked it for ~45 minutes at 300F. Let them cool/set, then cut them into 12 portions . . .

Breakfast Bombs

=R=
  • Post #239 - February 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm
    Post #239 - February 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm Post #239 - February 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm
    Started the day by egging on some leftovers . . .

Black Beans, Eggs & Sausage
    Working through some leftover/reheated black beans and (initially) charcoal-grilled kielbasa.

=R=
  • Post #240 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm
    Post #240 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm Post #240 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm
    With a half-pound of shrimp hanging around in the freezer, another recently uploaded video from Mandy at her Souped Up Recipes youtube channel provided nice inspiration for breakfast. In her take, she uses oysters to make a savory pancake but for us, since the shrimp were on-hand, it was an easy-enough pivot . . .

Mise En Place & Masakage Yuki White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    White pepper, eggs, fish sauce, scallions, u26-30 shrimp (halved), water, potato starch and homemade lard (freezer stock).

Mandy calls for sweet potato starch but all I had was potato starch, which seemed to work out well. Technique here is a bit unconventional. The eggs are not added to the batter but are beaten and poured over the pancake in the wok after it has browned on one side and before it's flipped. From there, the pancake is cut into 4 pieces and flipped over a few times until golden brown on both sides.

Plated Up
    Not much to look at but otoh, it's almost identical to what Mandy shows in her video and it was quite tasty. Per Mandy, garnished with cilantro leaves and served with fish sauce and hot sauce (in this case, homemade sambal) Buh-bye shrimp! :D

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more