LTH Home

Chips

Chips
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - June 30th, 2015, 5:47 am
    Post #61 - June 30th, 2015, 5:47 am Post #61 - June 30th, 2015, 5:47 am
    Athena wrote:Has anyone tried the beer flavored chips Aldi is selling right now? (Clancy brand, iirc, spotted them in the store yesterday).

I balked at the "beer flavored," but I couldn't resist the "sriracha flavored." They were sitting next to each other in my store's seasonal aisle. The sriracha ones really grew on me. Hot ketchup flavor with some really decent heat buildup. They kind of get heavily sweet after a while (like sriracha does, imo.)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #62 - June 30th, 2015, 11:53 am
    Post #62 - June 30th, 2015, 11:53 am Post #62 - June 30th, 2015, 11:53 am
    Does anyone remember Jay's 'Crazy Calypso' chips from the '80s or '90s? They were salty, spicy and sweet and came in a pink or purple bag. Loved those.
  • Post #63 - June 30th, 2015, 6:08 pm
    Post #63 - June 30th, 2015, 6:08 pm Post #63 - June 30th, 2015, 6:08 pm
    Nothing less than Old Dutch : Dutch Crunch Kettle Chips for me.
  • Post #64 - July 19th, 2015, 5:47 pm
    Post #64 - July 19th, 2015, 5:47 pm Post #64 - July 19th, 2015, 5:47 pm
    Chicago Expat wrote:I had a torrid love affair with Uncle Ray's Chips back when I lived off of Lake Shore Drive and Irving Park. One of the little convenience shops in a nearby condo tower sold them. I was especially smitten with the Coney Island chip, but also enjoyed bags of Dill Pickle, Jalapeno, and Roasted Garlic. Occasionally, I'd have a Ketchup or plain ol' BBQ. Here's some pictures just because I like giving visual aids with my posts...

Image Image Image Image

Uncle Ray's aren't so much a great chip as they are a great "trashy" chip. They're not to be savored, so much as devoured. But damn they're good. After a while, though, it seemed like they stopped selling them in Chicago. I did discover, however, on one of our many drives between Chicago and Louisville, that interstate gas station/convenience store chain Family Express sold them, making it the only reason to look forward to the Indiana leg of our journey. I now live in small town Kentucky, and as it turns out, the little grocery store/lunch counter around the corner from our new home sells Uncle Ray's. Sadly, it appears that both the Coney and Jalapeno chips have been discontinued (or are unavailable in our zip), but I get all the Dill Pickle, Garlic, and BBQ I could ask for. The Salt & Vinnegar is okay, but I'm not much of a connoisseur of that kind of chip, so my opinion shouldn't rate much there. In any event, it would appear that my life is fated to live near tiny grocery stores that sell these wonderful chips.
    To any of you Uncle Ray's addicts in Chicago, the closest place I could find was the Family Express in northwest Indiana (Wolcott, I think).

Farmer's Pride Produce at Chicago and Western Ave carries Uncle Ray's chips. They are in the process of remodeling and recently added a walk in beer cooler with a lot of local and craft offerings. I will be frequenting this grocery store on a much more regular basis with these recent changes. They've also expanded their wine/cheese offerings and appear to be trying to keep up with the changes in the neighborhood. I much prefer to visit a store of this size on weekends as the larger grocery chains are impossible to make a quick in/out stop, in addition to supporting the local/little guy.

Back to the chips... unfortunately, I did not see some of the more unique flavors such as Dill, Roasted Garlic, Ketchup, or what peaked my interest in the first place: Coney. But given the recent changes to the store, next time I go I'll ask if they are willing to bring some other flavors in. Sadly, the Uncle Ray's website (see below) does not list Coney as a current offering - but on a positive note, Jalapeno has returned (and is at Farmers Pride Produce).

I'm originally from Northeast PA - which has many special treats, and even multiple websites offering mail order snacks for those transplants like myself (which I've never used). One of these snacks is Middleswarth chips - with a highly honorable mention to the BBQ. There is just something about these chips that makes them different. It's hard to describe or perhaps fathom, but they are more dense than a typical chip with more of a melty feel to them. However, they do not lack crunch and I would absolutely still describe them as light. Perhaps it's their use of vegetable shortening (per their website)? The only other chip I've had that was similar to them was from Larry's Market in Brown Deer, WI and I mistakenly did not commit the brand name to memory.

If you fine yourself traveling through Pennsylvania and see these chips (remember, BBQ) - I recommend you give them a shot. They also offer a large family bag with a resealable top for your convenience.

http://www.unclerays.com/products/chips/

http://www.pasnacks.com/
    http://northeastsnacks.com/

http://www.middleswarthchips.com/

Farmers Pride Produce
    756 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60612
  • Post #65 - July 21st, 2015, 7:26 am
    Post #65 - July 21st, 2015, 7:26 am Post #65 - July 21st, 2015, 7:26 am
    This year's Frito Lay flavor contest includes (per grub street) Kettle-Cooked Greektown Gyro, Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries, Southern Biscuits and Gravy, and New York Reuben.

At least it isn't cappucino. The Truffle is likely to be vile truffle oil flavored. Not sure what Biscuits and Gravy would add. I'm hoping Gyros are good, the Reuben could go either way.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #66 - September 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm
    Post #66 - September 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm Post #66 - September 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm
    I'm really enjoying the Route 11 Yukon Gold chips, which are a seasonal item. They're light, crispy, and well-salted, with no bitter off notes.

As far as I know, they're only only available through their website (in cases of 30 x 2-ounce bags). Needless to say, most of these will be going to my office for sharing . . . but not until Tuesday! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #67 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:17 am
    Post #67 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:17 am Post #67 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:17 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm really enjoying the Route 11 Yukon Gold chips, which are a seasonal item. They're light, crispy, and well-salted, with no bitter off notes.

Tease
    Yukon Gold chips are in season, but currently sold out. Please check back!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #68 - September 2nd, 2018, 4:59 am
    Post #68 - September 2nd, 2018, 4:59 am Post #68 - September 2nd, 2018, 4:59 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm really enjoying the Route 11 Yukon Gold chips, which are a seasonal item. They're light, crispy, and well-salted, with no bitter off notes.

Tease

Whoa, that was fast! I'll save you a few bags.

=R=
  • Post #69 - September 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am
    Post #69 - September 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am Post #69 - September 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am
    Also, fwiw, the Route 11 Lightly Salted chips -- not a seasonal item -- are also excellent. You can get them at Zier's in Wilmette, and probably at some other brick and mortar places in town. Or, you can order them online.

=R=

Zier's Prime Meats & Poultry
    813 Ridge Rd
    Wilmette, IL 60091
    847 251-4000
  • Post #70 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:01 am
    Post #70 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:01 am Post #70 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:01 am
    Chef Jose Andres' potato chips are excellent. They're made in Spain using specially chosen potatoes, olive oil, and himalayan salt. I think they're probably made by Torres, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they're light, not greasy, just salty enough.

I get them from La Tienda, but I think Amazon has them, too. They also have the Torres chips, and those come in different flavors.

One day when I was lost and wandering around in Madrid, I came across a potato chip store -- picture Garrett Popcorn, except with chips -- yum. The free potato chips offered at many tapas bars in Madrid/Seville probably sealed the deal on my affinity for Spanish-made potato chips, too....

Also Chef Andres is a great humanitarian.
  • Post #71 - September 3rd, 2018, 3:26 pm
    Post #71 - September 3rd, 2018, 3:26 pm Post #71 - September 3rd, 2018, 3:26 pm
    I know it will go away but I prefer chips without ridges/wavy.

I am a fan of the All DressedUp Chips. Ruffles make them, but folks were waiting for me to arrive at a cookout with the Roundy's version of them that happen to be sans ridges yesterday. They remembered the chips from last year and were waiting for me. I don't even think they stayed for burgers. :shock:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #72 - April 30th, 2019, 7:20 am
    Post #72 - April 30th, 2019, 7:20 am Post #72 - April 30th, 2019, 7:20 am
    How The Pennsylvania Dutch Turned A Rural Town Into A Snack Food Empire

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... pad&f=1053
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #73 - August 20th, 2019, 11:37 am
    Post #73 - August 20th, 2019, 11:37 am Post #73 - August 20th, 2019, 11:37 am
    G Wiv wrote:

Tease

They're back in stock . . . but who knows for how long. 8)

=R=
  • Post #74 - August 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm
    Post #74 - August 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm Post #74 - August 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm
    While they're not my favorite chip, Lithuanian Lay’s Creamy Forest Mushroom Potato Chips are interesting. Milda's in Union Pier, MI imports several cases every summer and they only take a week or two to sell out.
  • Post #75 - August 21st, 2019, 5:31 pm
    Post #75 - August 21st, 2019, 5:31 pm Post #75 - August 21st, 2019, 5:31 pm
    Not sure how long they will have them for, but Trader Joe's Peruvian Potato Chips were a big hit at (board) gaming night:

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/20 ... chips.html

Really kind of pretty, and potato-forward. They don't do well in high humidity but they probably won't last long out of the bag anyway.
  • Post #76 - July 19th, 2020, 5:28 am
    Post #76 - July 19th, 2020, 5:28 am Post #76 - July 19th, 2020, 5:28 am
    Talard Thai Market has an amazing array of packaged snacks & chips, I picked up 5-6 packs and have been slowly sampling.

Chips, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #77 - July 19th, 2020, 7:03 pm
    Post #77 - July 19th, 2020, 7:03 pm Post #77 - July 19th, 2020, 7:03 pm
    Related: https://chicagoreader.com/chicago/getting-layd/Content?oid=76870845
  • Post #78 - October 8th, 2020, 11:36 am
    Post #78 - October 8th, 2020, 11:36 am Post #78 - October 8th, 2020, 11:36 am
    While in southern Illinois (I don't remember exactly where), we picked up a bag of Grippo's Salt and Vinegar chips. They're a Cincinnati brand, apparently best known for their spicy BBQ flavor. They're light, thin, very crisp, and really really sour and salty. Not my favorite flavor, but if salt and vinegar is what you like, you'll like these.

Strangely, they're not pictured on the Grippos website except in the variety gift pack.

https://www.grippos.com/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #79 - October 8th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Post #79 - October 8th, 2020, 2:07 pm Post #79 - October 8th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Maybe these have already come up but we are really loving the Kettle Brand Pepperoncini Chips (frequently very cheap on Amazon). Addictingly tangy and very crunchy like their other offerings.
  • Post #80 - October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm
    Post #80 - October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm Post #80 - October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm
    Back in the the day I was a salesman that traveled thru Illinois and I always looked for Local chips: My all time favorites are:
    Mrs. Mikes Freeport Ill
    Kitchen Cooked Farmington Ill
    Mrs. Fishers Rockford Ill (which have been available here for the last several years)

My all time favorite is Ballreich's from Tiffin Ohio.
    While they all offer various flavors I tend to be a traditionalist and get the regular chips for most part. All are available online.

Kitchen Cooked was recently purchased by UTZ who indicated to me that they will be keeping the recipe and and the factory in Farmington.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #81 - October 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Post #81 - October 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm Post #81 - October 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    We loved the Kitchen Cooked brand when living in Illinois, our kids called them "greasy chips" as in "can we get a bag of greasy chips".
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #82 - October 29th, 2020, 4:39 pm
    Post #82 - October 29th, 2020, 4:39 pm Post #82 - October 29th, 2020, 4:39 pm
    My Favorite Potato Chip in which I've been buying for last couple years are the Trader Joe’s Hawaiian Style Hickory Barbeque potato chips. They are thick kettle cooked potato chips with an excellent BBQ seasoning.

Last edited by polster on October 29th, 2020, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #83 - October 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm
    Post #83 - October 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm Post #83 - October 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm
    This weekend I discovered Great Lakes kettle cooked Michigan Cherry BBQ chips. Fantastic. A little smoky, more complex than many barbecue chips: Lays I am looking askance at you. These are right up there with my favorite chips the Torres truffle or Iberico.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #84 - October 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm
    Post #84 - October 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm Post #84 - October 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm
    JoelF wrote:While in southern Illinois (I don't remember exactly where), we picked up a bag of Grippo's Salt and Vinegar chips. They're a Cincinnati brand, apparently best known for their spicy BBQ flavor. They're light, thin, very crisp, and really really sour and salty. Not my favorite flavor, but if salt and vinegar is what you like, you'll like these.

Strangely, they're not pictured on the Grippos website except in the variety gift pack.

https://www.grippos.com/

My problem with Grippos chips (and their other snacks) is that they are so salty. I have tried them a couple times and struggle to get through a bag.

Personally, I am more of a Mikesell's chips out of Dayton.... and they ship.
    https://mikesells.com/
  • Post #85 - October 29th, 2020, 8:22 pm
    Post #85 - October 29th, 2020, 8:22 pm Post #85 - October 29th, 2020, 8:22 pm
    On sale right now at Aldi, Ripple chips in two cocktail flavors, Bloody Mary and Moscow Mule. I've tried them both. Won't be getting them a second time, but glad I took a chance on them.

The Bloody Mary was the more successful interpretation, with several familiar flavor notes associated with the drink.

The Moscow Mule seemed like it was destined for failure, but was better than expected. The predominant flavors are lime and ginger. Both have been successfully used separately in other flavored chips, and work well together here. Admittedly, there's a slight sweetness, as you'd find in the cocktail, but nothing overbearing or cloying.

If you were having a cocktail party (maybe someday), they'd be a nice novelty chip to pair up with the drinks. As things are, they're more of a curiosity; one that I've now satisfied and feel no need to pursue again.

Buddy
  • Post #86 - October 30th, 2020, 6:22 am
    Post #86 - October 30th, 2020, 6:22 am Post #86 - October 30th, 2020, 6:22 am
    Try Ole Salty's out of Rockford. Been going there for 30 years. Now with flavors.
  • Post #87 - December 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm
    Post #87 - December 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm Post #87 - December 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm
    I am a chipaholic. Never met a new brand or flavor I will not try. I seek out chips all over the world( Lays mushroom soup flavored from Russia and Lays Masala flavored from India still rank up there as international favorites). But, it could be the COVID 10 month quarantine talking, I have been craving Trader Joe’s regular potato chips. not the kettle style which hubby likes, just the regular chips that come in the navy bag for $2. They are thin and crispy with tons of oil and salt. They taste great with dips and by themselves. They taste like Jays before they sold out and are always fresh. I still like flavored chips but... gotta feed the craving.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #88 - December 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
    Post #88 - December 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm Post #88 - December 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
    I see these store packaged Potato Chips, usually priced a lot higher than the name brand ones on sale in the same store, at Cermak Produce and other Mexican markets. Are these made locally for the stores (or made inhouse), or are or these imported in bulk from Mexico and repackaged (like beans and chiles etc)? I have wanted to try them, but they are priced so high that I usually end up getting the plantain chips instead.
  • Post #89 - December 27th, 2020, 10:56 am
    Post #89 - December 27th, 2020, 10:56 am Post #89 - December 27th, 2020, 10:56 am
    Am I the only one who does not care for flavored chips? I like Wavy in the red bag. Nothing really special but it hits my chip spot.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #90 - December 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm
    Post #90 - December 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm Post #90 - December 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm
    toria wrote:Am I the only one who does not care for flavored chips? I like Wavy in the red bag. Nothing really special but it hits my chip spot.

I greatly prefer just salt. There are some exceptions but even then, it's only on rare occasion. The magic dust just doesn't do it for me like it once did.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more