LTH Home

What do you love/hate about your kitchen?

What do you love/hate about your kitchen?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - September 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am
    Post #91 - September 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am Post #91 - September 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am
    @seebee, do you still have the PowerPoint kitchen renovation journal you linked earlier in this thread? It now leads to a 404.
  • Post #92 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:57 pm
    Post #92 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:57 pm Post #92 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:57 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:@seebee, do you still have the PowerPoint kitchen renovation journal you linked earlier in this thread? It now leads to a 404.

Oooh...yes please! In initial stages of preparing for a full kitchen reno over here...
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #93 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:13 pm
    Post #93 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:13 pm Post #93 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:13 pm
    When we moved into our house (30 years ago) there was a big hood over the stove that I banged my head into and hated. So we put in a stove with a downdraft. Frankly, it didn't really pull a lot in. When we re-did our kitchen, we put in a venting system that is flat on the ceiling and vents through the roof. It draws really well and we love it. There is a remote clicker that turns it on and off.
  • Post #94 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:55 pm
    Post #94 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:55 pm Post #94 - September 23rd, 2020, 6:55 pm
    I'll check for the ppt, but knowing me, it'll take a while.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #95 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm
    Post #95 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm Post #95 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm
    I love my kitchen, it's one of the main things keeping me from downsizing my house now that the kids are gone. We put in a 400 sq ft addition including a pantry and shall mudroom. It's a double-gallery layout, with three long rows of countertop.

One of my favorite things? Two dishwashers. Clean comes out of one, dirty goes in the other, literally rinse and repeat.

We had some issues in construction, see another thread here, and there's been some settling cracks, but otherwise very very happy.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #96 - October 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
    Post #96 - October 20th, 2020, 10:35 am Post #96 - October 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
    Since last responding on here, I got new granite counter tops. That was the old house. In late 2015 I have a new house and a new kitchen. I love everything except my Samsuck refrigerator. Do not buy one!!! There is a class action suit against Samsung and its very difficult to get anyone to repair it or to get parts. I've already had to get it repaired for a few hundred if it breaks again I will trash it and get a different one.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #97 - October 27th, 2020, 11:02 am
    Post #97 - October 27th, 2020, 11:02 am Post #97 - October 27th, 2020, 11:02 am
    More countertop space (I no longer need to use a drumkit to put a cutting board on) better lighting (both in the room, and in the cabinets thanks to my light happy wife), open dining area (so it's not like I'm the help working in back when we entertain)... Big improvement over our last place.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #98 - October 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm
    Post #98 - October 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm Post #98 - October 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:More countertop space (I no longer need to use a drumkit to put a cutting board on) better lighting (both in the room, and in the cabinets thanks to my light happy wife), open dining area (so it's not like I'm the help working in back when we entertain)... Big improvement over our last place.

Funny that you say that about the open concept—as I’ve been interviewing designers to help configure the kitchen I want, I’ve been fighting the open kitchen zealots who want to tear down the wall. Yes, I know it would give us more space for everything, but I love being able to hole up in my kitchen away from everyone—it’s kind of my sanctuary room—and not being able to close that off away from the family room would bum me out.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #99 - October 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm
    Post #99 - October 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm Post #99 - October 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Funny that you say that about the open concept—as I’ve been interviewing designers to help configure the kitchen I want, I’ve been fighting the open kitchen zealots who want to tear down the wall. Yes, I know it would give us more space for everything, but I love being able to hole up in my kitchen away from everyone—it’s kind of my sanctuary room—and not being able to close that off away from the family room would bum me out.

We're in one of 7 townhouses. A few of our neighbors have opened the wall from the kitchen to the dining room. It's not something we even considered when we redid the kitchen. We would have lost upper cabinet space and a wall to put the china cabinet. Plus, if I'm in the middle of frantically putting the meal together, I don't need my guests seeing that. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #100 - October 27th, 2020, 5:38 pm
    Post #100 - October 27th, 2020, 5:38 pm Post #100 - October 27th, 2020, 5:38 pm
    The only thing we have upgraded in our kitchen is all of the appliances. My biggest problem is with size. It is a little wider than a galley kitchen. Unfortunately the way the house is laid out there is no way to get anymore space. Every thanksgiving for the past 15 years we have had a sit down dinner for 30 to 35 people and at least 20 of them will always congregate in the kitchen. Sadly with COVID I wont have that to complain about this year.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #101 - October 27th, 2020, 6:10 pm
    Post #101 - October 27th, 2020, 6:10 pm Post #101 - October 27th, 2020, 6:10 pm
    The GP wrote:Plus, if I'm in the middle of frantically putting the meal together, I don't need my guests seeing that. ;-)

Agreed, plus who wants the grease and odors to spread even further?

A friend has an open concept. I suggested there be a ledge just high enough people might not see a pile of dirty dishes or other preparations. She did not go along, then later regretted ignoring my suggestion. It is not always easy to keep a neat appearance and get your work done.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #102 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am
    Post #102 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am Post #102 - November 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am
    I've had an open plan kitchen in my last three houses. I like it well enough. The kitchen is open to the day to day eating area and the family room. The more formal dining room is separate. We hardly use it. I don't worry about kitchen odors as I will just crack a window or my sliding glass door to the screened porch. I don't worry about mess. I try not to serve cooked items that need a lot of last minute cooking and messing things up.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #103 - November 24th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Post #103 - November 24th, 2021, 8:08 am Post #103 - November 24th, 2021, 8:08 am
    I haven't seen that feature in any other apartment yet, but I love it in my current one. Under the counter (but above the cabinets) is a wood cutting board that slides out. The cutting board goes all the way back to the wall, so I pull it out 3/4 of the way to use it. So I can keep enough of it in the cabinet to keep it stable, but gain instant extra counter space. I can also pull out the cutting board all the way so I can thoroughly clean it. The cutting board significantly increases my kitchen'scounter space from not enough to just enough. I don't understand why people don't like double sinks. One side for washing and one for rinsing has always made sense to me. However, I do not own a dishwasher. If you don't hand wash dishes, I don't see much of an advantage to a double sink.
  • Post #104 - November 25th, 2021, 2:46 pm
    Post #104 - November 25th, 2021, 2:46 pm Post #104 - November 25th, 2021, 2:46 pm
    We wanted a 30" wide fridge. The counter depth fridge was a lot more expensive and smaller than the full depth fridge. Our solution was simple.

I removed the plaster lathe board and heavy metal mesh behind the fridge wall. The result is a full depth fridge sunk into the wall to make it counter depth.

We love our 90 year old house for these types of construction.
  • Post #105 - November 26th, 2021, 8:55 am
    Post #105 - November 26th, 2021, 8:55 am Post #105 - November 26th, 2021, 8:55 am
    jasonwall wrote: I don't understand why people don't like double sinks. One side for washing and one for rinsing has always made sense to me.

It's all preference of how you like to do things. With a single sink, someone can just add a plastic dishwashing tub and essentially have a double sink. Put that tub away, and you can put a decent amount of big pots and pans in the sink because there is no divider. Just an example of how someone might prefer a single vs a double.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #106 - November 26th, 2021, 11:09 pm
    Post #106 - November 26th, 2021, 11:09 pm Post #106 - November 26th, 2021, 11:09 pm
    HI,

I had a double sink for many years.

There was a small sink with garbage disposal. I could lay a cutting board across it, then sweep trimmings over the edge into the sink. Since we compost, I would collect those bits into a container.

On the rare occasion I needed to bathe the cat, I would fill the small sink with comfortably warm water. I would stand the cat in the larger sink, then pour water over her with a cup. I kept a firm grip on the cat. Once done and let her go, she shot out of the room.

When I needed to handwash dishes or canning jars, they would get the soapy water treatment in the small sink and rinsed with hot water in the large sink.

When I needed to blanch tomatoes or peaches for canning, I had water boiling in a combo crockpot/deep fat fryer. I would shock them in the large sink. I would remove skins at the small sink. I had large pots to hold the vegetables and fruits waiting for processing.

I really liked my two sinks. I now have a deep single sink. It came with a rack for the floor of the sink. I never liked it. Always had to move it to really clean the sink. I now have it stored away.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more