LTH Home

What do you love/hate about your kitchen?

What do you love/hate about your kitchen?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 1:04 pm
    Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 1:04 pm Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 1:04 pm
    Mike G, I just bought one of those cuttingboards on Sunday from Ikea. It's fabulous.
  • Post #32 - October 20th, 2009, 1:06 pm
    Post #32 - October 20th, 2009, 1:06 pm Post #32 - October 20th, 2009, 1:06 pm
    Mhays wrote:Saved money by buying appliances in available colors - so, stylistically our kitchen looks a bit odd - but I suppose that's bothers me less considering the money we saved.

This house had a white dishwasher and we bought a black refrigerator. I'd never heard this, but SB said that many dishwashers have reversible front panels. He slid the panel off, turned it around, slid it back in, and now we have a black dishwasher.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #33 - October 20th, 2009, 1:11 pm
    Post #33 - October 20th, 2009, 1:11 pm Post #33 - October 20th, 2009, 1:11 pm
    Yes, we have that - but we've got a black-and-white stove, so it will look odd in either color. Plus, the remainder of the dishwasher is black - so we'd wind up with a black-and-white stove AND a black-and-white dishwasher...and a white fridge.

And then my head would explode.
  • Post #34 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    Post #34 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm Post #34 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    The most important consideration, in my opinion, is how long you intend to stay in your home. The price of a kitchen upgrade should be about 15% of the value of your home (it's obviously going to be the most expensive room in the house to remodel). Stay in that range and you should see a 100% return if you sell within a few years. If you spend appreciably less then that will be evident to a buyer who will take that into consideration with their offer. Spend more and you're likely to eat the overage unless you find a buyer who appreciates your efforts.

A decade back we lived in a vintage 6-flat condo in Uptown/Edgewater and our neighbors redid their kitchen spending about $75,000 for a unit that was valued between $250-$300K. They loved to cook and entertain and they didn't care if they overspent. When we considered selling we put in about $8K (flooring and appliances only). We both sold at around the same time. They sold quicker and for a better price point, but we clearly expected that (and it wasn't enough of a premium to cover all their remodel expenses, but they expected that as well).

As another aside, my wife and I attended an open house for a property that had been vacant for a while after the elderly owner died. Her heir (a nephew) decided to "remodel" the kitchen for resale, but clearly skimped on quality all around. It was 100% wasted. I can't imagine one person who walked through the house who though the kitchen was optimal. If he had kept the original - no doubt crappy - kitchen and then deducted the $10 or 15K he put into the remodel it would have sold quicker. As it was, my only thought was of the money any buyer would have to waste tearing out essentially new materials.
    Last edited by spinynorman99 on October 20th, 2009, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #35 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    Post #35 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm Post #35 - October 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    eli wrote:I don't get why everyone is against double sinks. I've always thought it nice to have one side to wash and one to rinse. But I don't have a dishwasher. I don't see much advantage to a double sink if you're not hand washing dishes.

I can do that with a 4.00 plastic tub inserted in my sink.

Katie wrote:Hold a rack to dry dishes?

Wouldn't a sink be a waste of $ for an area just to hold a dish rack for drying?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #36 - October 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm
    Post #36 - October 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm Post #36 - October 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm
    We did a gut remodel keeping the existing footprint of our kitchen but swapping a wall oven for a range to get more counter space and ripping the soffits out to get more cabinet space. It's still a small kitchen but it's much more usable, attractive, and easy to clean now. Actually it was almost a year ago that it was finished. I've cooked a lot more in the last year than ever before in this kitchen (it was pretty bad before).

Favorite things about kitchen remodel
    -Single large stainless sink*
    -Faucet with integrated pull out sprayer
    -Built in instant filtered hot and cold water (on one side of sink)
    -Built in soap dispenser (on other side of sink)
    -French-door fridge with freezer on bottom
    -Granite countertops (like the look and the functionality of not having to worry about hot pans)
    -Undermount sink (easy cleanup, a couple more inches counter space). My undermount does have the lip thing that pokes out from the counter. I like this because I can see any dirt or food there. It has not been a cleanup problem.
    -42-inch cabinets up to the ceiling (goodbye soffit!)
    -Cabinet door automatic soft close
    -Undercabinet lighting
    -New ceiling lighting
    -Tumbled marble backspash…very simple but very attractive, have not had any cleanup issues
    -Large-size tiles on the floor…less grout and less busy-ness
    -White appliances (nice and bright)

Love/Hate
    -Tile floors (love the look and functionality, especially when the dog drips water all over the floor, but hate having to cook in gym shoes because my back hurts after awhile)
    -Undercabinet lighting (love the functionality but have to not use it too much b/c it heats up any food in lower cabinets)
    -Hood (was limited in my choices due to space but wish that I could have gotten a quieter and more powerful hood)

Wish list if I were building from scratch and had more room and plenty of cash
    -Double wall oven instead of range
    -Larger fridge
    -Wine or beverage fridge
    -Island with seating
    -Euro-style faceless cabinets
    -Better quality cabinets and more of them
    -Lazy susan in corner cabinet
    -Special storage for baking trays/sheets
    -Automatic drawer closers
    -Walk-in pantry or more storage options in kitchen
    -Smaller second sink
    -Extra dishwasher, probably just one drawer for overflow
    -Good window or two with nice view from sink and good natural light
    -Maybe some open shelving for pots that are in heavy rotation
    -More storage for small appliances or odd-shaped items

Would not do
    -Microwave over range (not a safe appliance placement IMO plus they don’t really vent)
    -Any kind of island when you don’t have the clearance for it
    -Corian counters (great in the bathroom but would not do in the kitchen)
    -Corian sink (too many concerns about pouring boiling water into sink)

*I really agonized over the single sink because I had a double sink before and wasn't sure I'd like the single. What did it for me was the reason seebee has above--you can always create a double sink with a plastic tub but you can't make a double sink single. Every day I'm in the kitchen I am glad that I went with a single sink. If you have anything more than a small pot to wash it is wonderful.
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #37 - October 20th, 2009, 6:12 pm
    Post #37 - October 20th, 2009, 6:12 pm Post #37 - October 20th, 2009, 6:12 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Katie wrote:Hold a rack to dry dishes?

Wouldn't a sink be a waste of $ for an area just to hold a dish rack for drying?

Not saying put one in, just saying that's what people who have them use them for. With a single sink, you have to put the drain rack on the countertop.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #38 - October 20th, 2009, 6:24 pm
    Post #38 - October 20th, 2009, 6:24 pm Post #38 - October 20th, 2009, 6:24 pm
    Strongly dislike my GE gas stove/oven; the people who originally did the flip on the property about 9 years ago picked natty Jacuzzi bathroom stuff, a KitchenAid disposal, and a nice GE fridge with a big vertical freezer and a crackerjack in-door ice/water dispenser, a Frigidaire DW, and granite counters, so I can't imagine why they decided to pick a stripped-down stove more typical of a middlin' rental unit. The oven has no light, no timers, and isn't self-cleaning. Also, the broiler is one of those under-the-oven-on-the-floor deals, and I REALLY hate it - it's not only dangerous, it's an ergonomic disaster. I covet the Customary Dining Companion's setup - gas cooktop, self-cleaning electric oven, with the most precise oven heating mechanism with alert tone I've ever seen (plus, of course, the broiler is on the top of the oven, so you can actually see what you're broiling. What a concept. :roll:) Plus it's white, while the DW and fridge are black. ARRRGH.
  • Post #39 - October 21st, 2009, 1:49 pm
    Post #39 - October 21st, 2009, 1:49 pm Post #39 - October 21st, 2009, 1:49 pm
    From a functionality perspective, I much preferred the corian countertops and laminate (wilsonart) floors of my old kitchen, over the granite countertops and hardwood floors of my current house. And beware stone tiles for backsplashes, etc, with lots of nooks and crannies to catch gunk. I like my divided sink (technically 2 sinks) with one large (21x19) and one small (13x11) side, but the divider is countertop, which looks nice, but isnt as user friendly as a divider that is below counter level.

-Will
  • Post #40 - October 21st, 2009, 2:15 pm
    Post #40 - October 21st, 2009, 2:15 pm Post #40 - October 21st, 2009, 2:15 pm
    I have a galley kitchen which was last remodeled in the mid-80's. Since then we put in a ceramic tile floor (not great) and a new GE Profile Range (not bad).

The Good:

Solid Oak cabinets from Napanee, IN
    25 c ft. Frigidaire (great at the time, need something new)
    Lots of outlets
    Stainless Steel sink (new faucet this year)
    Great looking wood-look ceiling.
    Oak florescent light fixture

The Bad:

Way too small
    Formica counter tops
    Ceramic tile floor
    25 c ft. Frigidaire (Need more fridge space, less freezer, and one that's not 24 years old)
    Need another circuit breaker
    Exhaust fan doesn't vent to the outside
    Not enough storage for all my "stuff"

It's not worth doing another remodel; I need a bigger kitchen and that would best be accomplished with a new house.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #41 - October 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm
    Post #41 - October 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm Post #41 - October 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm
    WillG wrote:And beware stone tiles for backsplashes, etc, with lots of nooks and crannies to catch gunk.

Three words: Dark Colored Grout

We've got a mosaic porcelain tile for a backsplash over granite counters, which helps tie the counters to the flooring. No problems with appearance behind the sinks (stove is on an island, so no grease issues there, no backsplashes). We used the same technique in a recently-remodeled bathroom: black and white tile with dark grey grout. Niiiiiice.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - October 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm
    Post #42 - October 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm Post #42 - October 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm
    WillG wrote:From a functionality perspective, I much preferred the corian countertops and laminate (wilsonart) floors of my old kitchen, over the granite countertops and hardwood floors of my current house.

What is it about Corian counters that makes you prefer them over granite?

I ask because, a few years back, I had our old, stained laminate counters replaced with Corian...I would have preferred granite, but decided to save a couple thousand bucks instead. I'm now kicking myself, and wish I'd sucked it up and shelled out for the damn granite.

The only things I like about the Corian so far is that it looks nice (but not as nice as granite, IMO), and, it's easy to get minor scuffs & scratches out of it by buffing it with the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge. What I dislike is that it does scratch/scuff easily (deeper scratches aren't so easily fixed) and it doesn't stand up to heat (like a pot off the stove or a baking sheet right out of the oven).
  • Post #43 - October 21st, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Post #43 - October 21st, 2009, 3:51 pm Post #43 - October 21st, 2009, 3:51 pm
    What is it about Corian counters that makes you prefer them over granite?

I ask because, a few years back, I had our old, stained laminate counters replaced with Corian...I would have preferred granite, but decided to save a couple thousand bucks instead. I'm now kicking myself, and wish I'd sucked it up and shelled out for the damn granite.

The price advantage for engineered surfaces has pretty much disappeared. Over the last 15 years, the costs of manufacturing have steadily increased while the demand and competition worldwide for natural stone has dropped prices or at least kept them steady. So price is no longer "the" consideration.
  • Post #44 - October 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm
    Post #44 - October 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm Post #44 - October 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm
    I have no personal experience, but my sister-in-law's description of how she has to baby her granite has me wary of them (not that we're putting granite in our galley kitchen.) They stain, have to be resealed every so often, and apparently don't like hot cookware, either.

Hard to say if she's being paranoid about it or if these are real considerations.
  • Post #45 - October 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm
    Post #45 - October 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm Post #45 - October 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm
    Mhays wrote:I have no personal experience, but my sister-in-law's description of how she has to baby her granite has me wary of them (not that we're putting granite in our galley kitchen.) They stain, have to be resealed every so often, and apparently don't like hot cookware, either.

I've heard these things too...but I had granite counters in my last place (definitely granite, of the uba-tuba variety, and not quartz or Silestone) back before I'd heard about the maintenance & care required. Man, I abused the hell out of these counters, because I figured, "they're made of rock, hence they're indestructible". I never sealed them (lived there 3 years), put hot-off-the-stove pans directly on them on a daily basis, spilled acidic stuff (tomato sauces, lemon juice, etc.) on them, knocked over (and shattered) glassware on them, put heavy/scratchy stuff on them, and once accidentally broke open a brand new bag of turmeric powder, spilling the entire contents all over them.

The turmeric incident ruined the clothes I was wearing at the time and turned every pair of socks I wore that week yellow (no matter how much I wiped, mopped, etc.), but didn't seem to affect the counters in any way. When I sold the place, the counters didn't have a single scratch, scuff, chip, nick or stain on them.

Maybe granite counters ideally require some basic, occasional maintenance to ensure that they'll last forever, but compared to laminate or even Corian, granite is like diamonds, kryptonite, and those big sheets of iron Streets & San uses to cover holes in the road combined.
  • Post #46 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Post #46 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm Post #46 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Mhays wrote:I have no personal experience, but my sister-in-law's description of how she has to baby her granite has me wary of them (not that we're putting granite in our galley kitchen.) They stain, have to be resealed every so often, and apparently don't like hot cookware, either.

Hard to say if she's being paranoid about it or if these are real considerations.
    Check out the earlier thread that seebee referenced. This was discussed quite a bit.

My dark brown granite has withstood hours of lemon juice sitting, forgotten, on top of it and the occasional hot cookware and it looks fine.
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #47 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Post #47 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm Post #47 - October 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm
    I've heard these things too...but I had granite counters in my last place (definitely granite, of the uba-tuba variety, and not quartz or Silestone) back before I'd heard about the maintenance & care required. Man, I abused the hell out of these counters, because I figured, "they're made of rock, hence they're indestructible". I never sealed them (lived there 3 years), put hot-off-the-stove pans directly on them on a daily basis, spilled acidic stuff (tomato sauces, lemon juice, etc.) on them, knocked over (and shattered) glassware on them, put heavy/scratchy stuff on them, and once accidentally broke open a brand new bag of turmeric powder, spilling the entire contents all over them.

I've lived in a place with granite countertops for about 5 years and have not seen any staining etiher despite similar types of abuse (excluding putting down hot pans). I do spray with a non professional sealant a couple of times a year
  • Post #48 - October 21st, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Post #48 - October 21st, 2009, 4:24 pm Post #48 - October 21st, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Yes, the notion that granite countertops need to be babied is a myth. Marble is different, yes. But granite is extremely hardy. The guy who installed my granite countertops said that I can wash them now and then with a 1:1 combo of windshield wiper fluid and water as it has a sealant in them and will clean them really well; but, otherwise, I don't need to seal them.
  • Post #49 - October 21st, 2009, 6:22 pm
    Post #49 - October 21st, 2009, 6:22 pm Post #49 - October 21st, 2009, 6:22 pm
    I have to apologize -- above I said I have granite.
    I don't, I have engineered quartz solid surface, and love it.
    You get a lot more choices on colors, but it tends to be more uniform, less varied than natural stone.
    No worries about staining, either.

Watch your brands, though. Silestone was described to me as having two kinds of colors: Boring and Disco. I was very happy with the colors that were available through Zodiaq.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #50 - October 21st, 2009, 6:45 pm
    Post #50 - October 21st, 2009, 6:45 pm Post #50 - October 21st, 2009, 6:45 pm
    I redid my kitchen about 4.5 years ago. It wasn't a big remodel, but there were a few things I really like:

1. The giant, single bowl stanless sink. 31.25" x 18" x 12" deep. The single best purchase I made
    2. The island I put in to give me way more counter space. I added slide out drawers for pantry space as well
    3. The granite countertops are indestructable
    4. The filtered water dispenser in the fridge

What I don't like:

1. No outlets in the island
    2. Since I ran a water line from my bathroom w/ a vampire tap valve, I have pretty poor pressure in the refrigerator water dispenser
    3. It would be nice to have a built in filter in the faucet as I frequently have to warm the filtered water in the microwave when I bake (I hate the taste of my tap). I suppose I could get a new faucet but I'm unemployed right now so that will have to wait
    4. Having the fridge water dispenser/ice maker on the inside is a PITA but I'd lose good amt of inside space if it were outside/in the door.

Again, as others have said, get the biggest single bowl sink your cabinetry can handle. You won't regret it.
  • Post #51 - October 21st, 2009, 7:40 pm
    Post #51 - October 21st, 2009, 7:40 pm Post #51 - October 21st, 2009, 7:40 pm
    Not exactly cutting edge stuff, but after 19 years with a galley kitchen, I love having a floor-to-ceiling pantry, enough space for a book cases, and a rolling storage unit that is also a spare work surface. Also, almost as important as the stuff you get is leaving room to move.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #52 - October 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm
    Post #52 - October 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm Post #52 - October 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm
    As our granite guy explained to us after offering a free lifetime warranty against any staining after installing (with absolutely no maintenance needed by us:)
    Dark granite = NO maintenance, and NO staining issues.
    Light granite = some maintenance, and some staining issues.
    It's that simple (according to him.)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #53 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:11 am
    Post #53 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:11 am Post #53 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:11 am
    One thing that i dont like about granite is that it is so hard that I have to be extra careful about putting breakable things down on it....much less forgiving to a dropped item than corian, though i havent really broken much, just a few chips. The bigger issue is that the edges of the granite chip fairly easily, particularly around the sinks. I should probably figure out a way to sand them down because the edges can get sharp. I have not had any issues with staining or needing to seal, and, other than some of the edges, it looks great.

-Will
  • Post #54 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:16 am
    Post #54 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:16 am Post #54 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:16 am
    Since we're on countertops...

We have a Corian-like surface on some counters (it's actually Formica's knockoff) and I've been quite happy with it. It has taken some knicks and cuts when the knife slips but we picked a speckled pattern and you never see them.

But the thing I have been most happy with is the concrete surface on the island by this guy:

http://concreteageartworks.com/index.php

I didn't want concrete that looked like sidewalk but this guy is good at subtle dyes and casting techniques that suggest stone (without being obviously fakey-imitative; if you go to the colors section, ours is basically buff-light, a natural color that just takes you out of the gray-sidewalk range). The price, ten years ago, was reasonable, durability has held up well (it wears like stone, so where it's changed over time, it's done so attractively), it's never chipped or cracked. I've been very happy with it.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #55 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am
    Post #55 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am Post #55 - October 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am
    I have had no staining issues with my granite, but it has contributed to too many messes, and one minor injury. One time I shattered a full gallon of milk in a glass bottle, and a couple of bottles of beer and wine have met the wrath of the stone too.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #56 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:56 am
    Post #56 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:56 am Post #56 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:56 am
    This is a very timely thread for me. I moved into a house with a very pretty (read: not that functional) kitchen and I'm getting ready to do a little remodel. I'm going to be adding a second island which will have a prep sink and a second electric oven. Anyone have thoughts on a particular model of undercabinet oven or size of the prep sink?
    Also, this thread has motivated me to switch out by double sink for a large basin sink (so I can finally wash cookie sheets and my large silpat (without folding it into squares and unfolding it...)
  • Post #57 - October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm
    Post #57 - October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm Post #57 - October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm
    I have a dark brown granite counter and island with black and stainless appliances. Things have fallen from my spice cabinet and chipped the black porcelain stovetop, can't really see it, but I know it's there. I have stools with wrought iron backs that swivel. This was a HUGE mistake. They have swiveled and chipped the counter a few times now. i really need to get someone into to fix the chips. However, no staining and I put stuff right from the stovetop, and oven on it with no problems. I also can cut anything I want to on it, but I do tend to use cutting boards, just for the ease of picking it up and putting it on a bowl or whatever.
  • Post #58 - October 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm
    Post #58 - October 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm Post #58 - October 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm
    nicinchic wrote:I also can cut anything I want to on it, but I do tend to use cutting boards, just for the ease of picking it up and putting it on a bowl or whatever.

Your cutting utensils thank you for using the boards also.
    I really, really, try not to lose my mind when wife 1.0 flips out a good knife and starts to slice away at something sans board. Those knives do not grow on trees, and neither does the money that pays for them.
  • Post #59 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:16 pm
    Post #59 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:16 pm Post #59 - October 22nd, 2009, 11:16 pm
    Pluses:
    Halogen under counter kitchen lighting.
    Convection oven
    Microwave that can also turn into a convection oven (handy during the holidays)
    roll out shelves in cabinets.
    Oak flooring

Minuses:
    Kitchen very small but efficient
    No granite counter top (yet)
    Cabinets with soffit on top (has to stay)
    No window in kitchen
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #60 - October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm
    Post #60 - October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm Post #60 - October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm
    I moved from a 70s home with framed oak cabs, sheet vinyl floor and pre-fab laminate counters to a 2004 home with framed maple cabs, porcelian tile floor and custom laminate counters. Pretty much the same size kitchen but totally different layouts.

New home likes:
    42" upper cabs - great for seldom used stuff
    Pullout faucet
    Built in soap dispenser
    Good working layout in smallish kitchen with thoughtful counter space
    Separate pantry space
    9 foot ceilings!
    Eat in area plus counter seating
    West facing windows (6' tall by 9' wide!) in the eat in area - tons of natural light!
    Added undercab task lighting

New home dislikes:
    Tile floors - my back is organizing a strike, and I don't have back problems! I have mats but it's a PITA!
    OTR Microwave - will be replaced with regular vented hood eventually as there is NO ventilation for my high BTU stove.
    Desk area in kitchen eating area - really wasted space. Could be used to make kitchen area larger by using pantry cabinets and removing the pantry. Am considering down the road.
    Small double bowl sink - will be replaced with larger one.
    Custom laminate counters - they have a beveled edge and I'm noticing separation on seams near the sink, where water tends to splash. Will be replaced with granite eventually.
    Framed cabinets and lack of drawers - I added pullouts for frequently used pots and pans but it's hard to make do with four 9" drawers and 1 18" drawer!

In all, I think kitchens are really personal and people have different preferences. The best way to find your likes/dislikes is to visit as many kitchens as possible using open houses and your friends homes, as well as kitchen design showrooms. I still have a lot to learn about what my ideal kitchen would look like.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more