LTH Home

Rude Marzipan

Rude Marzipan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Rude Marzipan

Post #1 - April 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
    Post #1 - April 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm Post #1 - April 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
    I was minding my business at Hinsch's Confectionery in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn when I came about this marzipan figure, "The Money Maker," a bonbon produced by Bergen Marzipan. I had to share this little party pooper with the LTH community. (The coin is plastic, but the cheeks are sweet).

Enjoy. It tastes better than one might expect.

I realize that there is erotic marzipan figures (including a five foot marzipan tampon), but these are art projects or aimed at specialized audiences. Bergen Marzipan is a big producer and Hinsch's is no West Village confectionary, but an old-time Brooklyn ice cream parlour.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #2 - April 11th, 2010, 5:40 pm
    Post #2 - April 11th, 2010, 5:40 pm Post #2 - April 11th, 2010, 5:40 pm
    I finally got to the point of extracting the coin from the Money Maker's tush. Although Bergen Marzipan is an American company (based in New Jersey), the coin is the replica of a Deutsch Mark (not a Euro or a quarter). Alan Dundes, the prominent American folklorist, argued in his book, Life is Like a Chicken Coop Ladder, that German national character is fundamentally anal. He has passed away, but would surely see this as confirmation for his theory.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more