LTH Home

The Great Food Truck Race

The Great Food Truck Race
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm
    Post #31 - August 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm Post #31 - August 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm
    Hi- I've got a feeling that Nom Nom is going to win this. I love their website, and they seem to know how to get lots of free PR. They have only been in business for about 13 months, and already they have gotten plugs in at least three national magazines. Hope this helps, Nancy
    Last edited by NFriday on August 24th, 2010, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #32 - August 24th, 2010, 2:47 pm
    Post #32 - August 24th, 2010, 2:47 pm Post #32 - August 24th, 2010, 2:47 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I've got a feeling that Nam Nam is going to win this.

its Nom Nom Truck.... :wink: :D

http://www.nomnomtruck.com
  • Post #33 - August 24th, 2010, 3:06 pm
    Post #33 - August 24th, 2010, 3:06 pm Post #33 - August 24th, 2010, 3:06 pm
    Geo wrote:Steve, looking at their website, it's clear that they're so quick on their feet that they don't even need to win: they've got a moneyspinner by the handle.

That's probably true. When they had a chance to cook a special dish in Santa Fe which could have resulted in them having immunity, they chose not to participate. That's well placed confidence.

(Go team Nom Nom!)
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #34 - August 24th, 2010, 4:08 pm
    Post #34 - August 24th, 2010, 4:08 pm Post #34 - August 24th, 2010, 4:08 pm
    I hate to admit it but I'm kind of enjoying this show. I thought it was ballsy but wise of the Nom Nom crew to forego the elimination challenge and just stick with what they do best. They had a constant line at their truck and could barely keep up with it, so a shortcut to immunity didn't appear to have much value for them. Considering their sales ended up being about double of what the second place team's total was, it certainly turned out to be the right move. Their food seems good (judging on its appearance alone) and they also seem very savvy. Watching the show actually makes me hungry, which is probably the highest compliment I could give it.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #35 - September 3rd, 2010, 7:11 am
    Post #35 - September 3rd, 2010, 7:11 am Post #35 - September 3rd, 2010, 7:11 am
    glad to see the goofy crepe making team gone this week.

I really like the French team more and more each week, I think since they are the only team actually doing some cooking besides sandwiches, wraps, etc.

New Orleans is next, should be interesting.
  • Post #36 - September 4th, 2010, 8:32 am
    Post #36 - September 4th, 2010, 8:32 am Post #36 - September 4th, 2010, 8:32 am
    The most telling moment was when they all confronted the hanging beef. Only one team had a clue.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #37 - September 4th, 2010, 11:52 am
    Post #37 - September 4th, 2010, 11:52 am Post #37 - September 4th, 2010, 11:52 am
    Geo wrote:The most telling moment was when they all confronted the hanging beef. Only one team had a clue.

Absolutely. And I thought it was more than bit weak that the Nom Nom'ers simply took their beef inside Central Market and had the butchers there break it down for them. But if the 'purpose' here was to measure overall business ability then maybe it was a reasonable solution for them to farm it out. Still, it made it clear that with exception of the Spencer on the Go team, these folks are more business people than cooks.

Loved seeing the Crepe team sent home for one reason: those uniforms, which looked like they were stolen from the wardrobe department of the musical Oliver! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - September 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm
    Post #38 - September 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm Post #38 - September 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm
    Even though the French Guy seemed to know what he was doing, the chef/judge mentioned that their beef was tough because it was butchered poorly.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #39 - September 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm
    Post #39 - September 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm Post #39 - September 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm
    Having that amount of beef in the small space of those trucks was really scary: virtually every surface must have had to be re-sanitized. This assumes they sanitize after every service and before they open. Sure they do.
  • Post #40 - September 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm
    Post #40 - September 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm Post #40 - September 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm
    I just finished watching the show (I had recorded it). I thought it was interesting. There were a bunch of things that I wondered about. How long did they take to go between cities. It seemed like most of the episodes had take place on weekends. There was a shot on Nom Noms website of the truck on a flatbed. Did they drive the longer routes. The trucks had to be emptied/stripped of supplies between episodes. Was that down to the frying oil, spice rack, staples? I expect that the producers were paying some sort of stipend (maybe just letting them keep their earnings?) or as a previous poster wrote this contest made no sense for the participants. Did the other teams not know what "Spencer" was doing until the last leg?
  • Post #41 - September 30th, 2010, 6:35 pm
    Post #41 - September 30th, 2010, 6:35 pm Post #41 - September 30th, 2010, 6:35 pm
    Hi- I finally watched the final episode a few days ago. I was really surprised that Nom Nom did not win it. They got a late start setting up in the first precinct, and it was harder for them, because they had to visit all five precincts, and did not have time to hook up with another establishment, like they did at the other cities. BTW- Food Network is bringing this back next year, and I believe that they are including some trucks from the Midwest. I forget where I saw it, but a few weeks ago the producers of the show were asking people to vote on which food trucks they wanted to appear in the second season. The voting is already over. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #42 - August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    Post #42 - August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm Post #42 - August 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    New Season starts sunday, its being promoted with graphics of food trucks moving across the screen in the middle of food network programming.
  • Post #43 - March 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #43 - March 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #43 - March 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Hi- Has anybody seen the current season of the Great Food Truck Race which is currently on the Food Network? This season they are in Alaska. It sounds like they also have to catch some fish in one of the episodes, and make s'mores for which they get judged. It is on Sunday evenings at 9:00pm central

It has been over 10 years since anybody has posted about this program. I have not seen it since the first season. This season sounds interesting though being in Alaska.
  • Post #44 - March 14th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    Post #44 - March 14th, 2021, 10:35 pm Post #44 - March 14th, 2021, 10:35 pm
    Did anybody watch the show tonight? They were in Palmer Alaska, where it was 10 degrees with 60 miles an hour wind on one of the days. Because they were in Alaska in the middle of the winter, they did not have a lot of daylight hours. Several of them ran out of propane. On one of the days they had to come up with a vegetarian menu. I don't know where they purchased their food. Apparently they had some huge veggies that were grown in Homer. There were six trucks competing tonight, but somebody got eliminated at the end. I am not sure who. Next week they are going to be in Homer Alaska where there is a lot of salmon. Stanley Tucci definitely had it easier in Italy than these contestants did in Alaska. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #45 - March 22nd, 2021, 12:54 am
    Post #45 - March 22nd, 2021, 12:54 am Post #45 - March 22nd, 2021, 12:54 am
    Hi- They were in Homer Alaska this week. Each team started going out on a fishing boat in the middle of winter, and they each had to catch a large fish. One team kept catching baby halibut which they had to throw back. All of the teams finally caught a salmon. They had four hours to catch one, and if they caught one, each team got $400 to spend on groceries, as opposed to $100. One of the teams ran out of food the second day when they had 5 1/2 hours left, and somebody had to go back to the store to purchase some more. They then ran out of food a second time, and had to go back to the store again. Each team had to make a dish with the salmon that they caught, and then a celebrity chef decided who had the best dish. That team got immunity. One team's generator for their kitchen died, and they had to use another one. The team that had to go to the store three times got eliminated.

Next week they are going to be in Seward, which has less than 3,000 people in it. The two top teams tonight each made over $9,000. I think there are maybe five teams left.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more