LTH Home

Favorite cooking shows (lately)

Favorite cooking shows (lately)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 10
  • Post #181 - April 7th, 2021, 1:12 am
    Post #181 - April 7th, 2021, 1:12 am Post #181 - April 7th, 2021, 1:12 am
    Has anybody seen the show The Lost Kitchen on Discovery+? It is a six part documentary about Erin French who owns the Lost Kitchen in Freedom, Maine, and it goes into how she is surviving the pandemic.

Erin also has a new autobiography Finding Freedom which currently is #1 on Amazon right now. She is only 40, but she has gotten out of an abusive marriage, an addiction to prescription meds and has overcome depression while raising a daughter by herself, and opening a very popular restaurant in Freedom, Maine. She has also won the James Beard Award.

There is a seven day free trial for Discovery+, but after that it is $4.99 a month. Her show is part of the Magnolia Network.
  • Post #182 - June 1st, 2021, 3:53 am
    Post #182 - June 1st, 2021, 3:53 am Post #182 - June 1st, 2021, 3:53 am
    New series on Netflix = High On the Hog, it’s about the roots and evolution of the importance of Black culture to the American food movement.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #183 - June 2nd, 2021, 8:18 pm
    Post #183 - June 2nd, 2021, 8:18 pm Post #183 - June 2nd, 2021, 8:18 pm
    There is a new cooking competition on Fox called Crime Scene Kitchen. Each couple tries to figure out what dish was baked based on the clues left in the kitchen, and then make a version of whatever they decide it is. Tonight they were baking cakes, and the two teams that got the type of cake right automatically got to move on to the next round. One of the teams that got it wrong got eliminated based on the fact that their cake was the least desirable according to the judges. The second episode was on tonight. Joel McHale is the host.
  • Post #184 - June 3rd, 2021, 7:43 am
    Post #184 - June 3rd, 2021, 7:43 am Post #184 - June 3rd, 2021, 7:43 am
    I've been working my way through Somebody Feed Phil.
    He's trying for Anthony Bourdain without the angst, and often goes too far in that direction with the mugging for the camera... but the food shown is good. The Israel and New Orleans shows are particularly nice (the latter has a sweet follow-up from the Vietnam ep).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #185 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
    Post #185 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm Post #185 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
    JoelF wrote:I've been working my way through Somebody Feed Phil.
    He's trying for Anthony Bourdain without the angst, and often goes too far in that direction with the mugging for the camera... but the food shown is good. The Israel and New Orleans shows are particularly nice (the latter has a sweet follow-up from the Vietnam ep).

He's your slightly food-aware uncle. He's more reactive than descriptive. It's all bug-eyed variations on "delicious." Having said that, his producers do an okay job of vetting. I can do without the wrap-up scenes with his parents, but as the 800-lb gorilla he can pretty much do whatever he wants.
  • Post #186 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm
    Post #186 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm Post #186 - June 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm
    Dave148 wrote:New series on Netflix = High On the Hog, it’s about the roots and evolution of the importance of Black culture to the American food movement.

Enjoyed this, especially in introducing me to Hatchet Hall in LA, sort of a Roister-y open-flame meat restaurant. They do periodic dinners based on Thomas Jefferson's and George Washington's slave chefs' menus (James Hemings (trained in France while Jefferson was posted there) and Hercules Posey).

http://www.hatchethallla.com/hemings-hercules
  • Post #187 - July 12th, 2021, 11:01 pm
    Post #187 - July 12th, 2021, 11:01 pm Post #187 - July 12th, 2021, 11:01 pm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5albyJA11uU

DIY - Brick oven for $20 in 20 minutes AND Knife reconditioning!

This guy has an outdoor kitchen at what appears to be his dacha. He is roasting and cooking in all sorts of weather.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #188 - July 14th, 2021, 4:58 pm
    Post #188 - July 14th, 2021, 4:58 pm Post #188 - July 14th, 2021, 4:58 pm
    The "oven" looks like something my brother-in-law would design while he was drinking his second 12-pack of the day.
  • Post #189 - July 14th, 2021, 5:48 pm
    Post #189 - July 14th, 2021, 5:48 pm Post #189 - July 14th, 2021, 5:48 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:The "oven" looks like something my brother-in-law would design while he was drinking his second 12-pack of the day.

This guy makes many of his own tools for his outdoor kitchen. It is a skill I saw many times, because what you really needed or wanted was simply not available.

If the design in the video did not work, no problem, just tear it apart and begin again.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #190 - August 8th, 2021, 5:24 am
    Post #190 - August 8th, 2021, 5:24 am Post #190 - August 8th, 2021, 5:24 am
    I heard that Paris Hilton has a cooking show on Netflix now. Has anybody seen it? I don't have netflix, and so I will have to pass.
  • Post #191 - August 8th, 2021, 6:46 am
    Post #191 - August 8th, 2021, 6:46 am Post #191 - August 8th, 2021, 6:46 am
    NFriday wrote:I heard that Paris Hilton has a cooking show on Netflix now. Has anybody seen it? I don't have netflix, and so I will have to pass.

It's indeed true. Saw a snippet, it could be a culinary trainwreck or maybe they redeem themselves in the end. I may never know.
    Cathy2

• Post #192 - August 12th, 2021, 7:50 am
    Post #192 - August 12th, 2021, 7:50 am Post #192 - August 12th, 2021, 7:50 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:New series on Netflix = High On the Hog, it’s about the roots and evolution of the importance of Black culture to the American food movement.

Enjoyed this, especially in introducing me to Hatchet Hall in LA, sort of a Roister-y open-flame meat restaurant. They do periodic dinners based on Thomas Jefferson's and George Washington's slave chefs' menus (James Hemings (trained in France while Jefferson was posted there) and Hercules Posey).

Just renewed for a second season.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #193 - September 13th, 2021, 11:26 pm
    Post #193 - September 13th, 2021, 11:26 pm Post #193 - September 13th, 2021, 11:26 pm
    I noticed that Peacock has a new cooking competition called Top Chef Family Style. There are 12 teams competing, and Marcus Samuelsson is the head judge. I think it is available on basic Peacock which is free.
  • Post #194 - June 11th, 2022, 2:06 pm
    Post #194 - June 11th, 2022, 2:06 pm Post #194 - June 11th, 2022, 2:06 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:

I have had zero desire to go to LA, though my awareness of Hatchett Hall via this program has kicked in an itch.

There was a lot of interesting bits of information scattered throughout this series. I was unaware the profession of catering had its roots in black culture. The two chefs who tasted their efforts by leaving a deposit on the back of their hands to lick off a sample. They then asked each other how they knew about this, especially since they had only just met.

Of course, I was delighted when they made Cowboy Stew with all the variety of organ meats. I made this some years ago for either Culinary Historians or Greater Midwest Foodways. While their batch did not have brains in it, it was the same off putting color as the one I made years ago. While they may have had a calf freshly harvested to draw their protein from. I recall spending a lot of time collecting different organ meats at various shops. Between the cost of materials and driving, it was an expensive recipe to execute.

They also touched on Juneteenth, which is an event I have long followed.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #195 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:22 am
    Post #195 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:22 am Post #195 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:22 am
    ‘The Bear’ review: A culinary ace takes over a Mr. Beef-esque sandwich shop. Chaos and dark comedy in one of my favorite shows of the year
    Chicago is a major food town, from pricey fine dining to modest neighborhood joints that hit the spot, and I don’t know that I’ve ever seen the sweaty, cacophonous kitchen dynamics of the latter so richly and lovingly portrayed as they are in “The Bear,” a darkly comedic drama that takes its inspiration from a local staple: Mr. Beef.

On the show, this River North Italian beef sandwich shop is simply called The Original Beef of Chicagoland. But the exterior shots certainly look as if they were shot at Mr. Beef. And a crew member told me that production designers all but rebuilt the interior of Mr. Beef on a soundstage at Cinespace (the studio complex on the city’s West Side) down to grease on the stoves and the walls. That had me laughing and intrigued before I watched a single frame.
  • Post #196 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am
    Post #196 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am Post #196 - June 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am
    On Hulu for those of you curious, but blocked by the paywall.
  • Post #197 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Post #197 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:15 pm Post #197 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Wow, this darkly comic series just throws you into the deep end of a busy restaurant kitchen. The whole thing is a marvelous love letter to Chicago and food, and especially Chicago food. I've only seen one episode but I feel confident that pretty much everyone in this forum would enjoy it, and I wanted to get it onto your radar right away.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #198 - June 30th, 2022, 7:08 am
    Post #198 - June 30th, 2022, 7:08 am Post #198 - June 30th, 2022, 7:08 am
    mamagotcha wrote:Wow, this darkly comic series just throws you into the deep end of a busy restaurant kitchen. The whole thing is a marvelous love letter to Chicago and food, and especially Chicago food. I've only seen one episode but I feel confident that pretty much everyone in this forum would enjoy it, and I wanted to get it onto your radar right away.

I think the show is terrific and I'm not alone. The reviews of the show are all positive. I was astonished to learn what the star of the show,Jeremy Allen White did to prepare for the role.
    To research the role, he went to culinary school for two weeks and worked at the critically acclaimed restaurant Oriole, and its award-winning sister bar Kumiko, in the West Loop.

“I also worked in a restaurant called Pasjoli in Santa Monica,” White said. Chef Dave Beran opened the modern French bistro, after leaving Chicago’s Next.

“I spent a lot of time with a lot of great chefs,” White said. “It was nice.”

How Chicago chefs helped Jeremy Allen White prep for ‘The Bear,’ plus 8 great Italian beefs to binge with the show
  • Post #199 - June 30th, 2022, 10:43 pm
    Post #199 - June 30th, 2022, 10:43 pm Post #199 - June 30th, 2022, 10:43 pm
    Have to agree that The Bear is a great show. Ripped through Season 1 in just few days. Not sure how realistic all the industry stuff is but much of it rings true (based what I've observed, read and heard from my professional friends over the years). And the local color is also a lot of fun. Hoping it comes back and that subsequent seasons are as strong and thoughtful as the first one was.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #200 - July 3rd, 2022, 6:20 pm
    Post #200 - July 3rd, 2022, 6:20 pm Post #200 - July 3rd, 2022, 6:20 pm
    Has anyone seen the Great American Recipe on PBS? Apparently, it started on PBS on 6/24. It is on Friday evenings at 8:00pm on WTTW, and it is rebroadcast on Sundays at 6:00pm. I just ran across the tail end of the second episode. There are ten contestants, that are all home cooks. The only judge I recognize is Graham Elliot. They have apparently broadcast the first two episodes. Unless you have passport, I don't know if you can watch it on their website. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #201 - July 8th, 2022, 4:04 am
    Post #201 - July 8th, 2022, 4:04 am Post #201 - July 8th, 2022, 4:04 am
    I just want to remind people that the Great American Recipe is on WTTW tonight. 7/8 at 8:00PM.
  • Post #202 - July 9th, 2022, 5:16 pm
    Post #202 - July 9th, 2022, 5:16 pm Post #202 - July 9th, 2022, 5:16 pm
    Hi- I watched the tail end of the Great American Recipe last night, but then they had the third installment of Mary Berry's Absolute Favorites immediately afterward. This show was filmed in 2015, and has six episodes. The next episode airs on 7/14 at 9pm, and centers on farmers markets and asparagus. In order to see all of the episodes you have to be a member of passport.
  • Post #203 - July 14th, 2022, 9:50 am
    Post #203 - July 14th, 2022, 9:50 am Post #203 - July 14th, 2022, 9:50 am
    The Bear is roaring back with more original episodes: FX picked up a second season of the half-hour scripted series that streams on Hulu.

‘The Bear’ Renewed For Season 2 By FX

=R=
  • Post #204 - July 18th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    Post #204 - July 18th, 2022, 12:25 pm Post #204 - July 18th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    my 2 cents on The Bear, 3 eps in: well made/acted/written. However I'm very confused about what kind of restaurant they're running, especially because there's so little of the customers eating the finished product. A counter serve beef place (and similar sandwiches, like Mortadella), I understand.

But one that is only open for dinner, and as of ep1, had spaghetti on the menu? And what's with the arcade game?

Maybe it's explained later, or is the cause of all the financial stress. But for now, every episode I'm trying to track what kind of restaurant it was and is becoming.
  • Post #205 - July 18th, 2022, 12:43 pm
    Post #205 - July 18th, 2022, 12:43 pm Post #205 - July 18th, 2022, 12:43 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Have to agree that The Bear is a great show.
    I plan on binging it in the next week or so, in spite of this critical Reader review I just came across. Maybe I only last a few episodes, we'll see.
    https://chicagoreader.com/film/thrill-of-recognition-or-contempt-for-inaccuracy/
  • Post #206 - July 18th, 2022, 12:47 pm
    Post #206 - July 18th, 2022, 12:47 pm Post #206 - July 18th, 2022, 12:47 pm
    I watched the second half of the Great American Recipe last night, and the contestants are all amateur chefs, and everyone seems to get along, and they are all sad to see somebody leave. All of the judges get along too, and it is totally different than one of Gordon Ramsey's shows where he is yelling at all of the contestants. Last night every one had to fix a meal that they would eat outside, such as when they go tailgating. There are six contestants left.
  • Post #207 - July 18th, 2022, 1:27 pm
    Post #207 - July 18th, 2022, 1:27 pm Post #207 - July 18th, 2022, 1:27 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    I plan on binging it in the next week or so, in spite of this critical Reader review I just came across. Maybe I only last a few episodes, we'll see.
    https://chicagoreader.com/film/thrill-of-recognition-or-contempt-for-inaccuracy/

I didn’t find the Chicago inaccuracies nearly as annoying as the restaurant silliness. I got through an episode and a half before I got sick of it. I might go back, I might not. But it is pretty over the top, despite the lead actor being very fun to watch. Wish the writing was better.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #208 - July 18th, 2022, 1:42 pm
    Post #208 - July 18th, 2022, 1:42 pm Post #208 - July 18th, 2022, 1:42 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    bweiny wrote:

I didn’t find the Chicago inaccuracies nearly as annoying as the restaurant silliness. I got through an episode and a half before I got sick of it. I might go back, I might not. But it is pretty over the top, despite the lead actor being very fun to watch. Wish the writing was better.

The Reader review is more about the reviewer -- and what the show isn't -- than what the show actually is. But it is intense and definitely not for everyone. That's probably one of the reasons I liked it so much. The intensity and over-the-top aspects were my favorite parts of it. Not reality but a hyper-reality dotted with bits of real life detail that serve mainly as reference points. But yes, it's still fiction. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #209 - July 18th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    Post #209 - July 18th, 2022, 4:59 pm Post #209 - July 18th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    The reviewer's nonstop use of the comma, albeit technically correct, is far more obnoxious than the "incorrect" Chicago references in the Bear, which arent as off putting as the author portrays.... :)
  • Post #210 - July 27th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    Post #210 - July 27th, 2022, 10:14 pm Post #210 - July 27th, 2022, 10:14 pm
    Currently enjoying "Early American," which focuses on life from late 1700s through early 1800s. In this episode, Justine (who lives in Ste. Genevieive, MO) is trying out a vegetable recently introduced to the U.S. -- cauliflower.
    https://youtu.be/unRENmTauw8
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events