LTH Home

White Castle: Far Worse Than I’d Imagined

White Castle: Far Worse Than I’d Imagined
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 14 of 15
  • Post #391 - August 25th, 2015, 12:29 pm
    Post #391 - August 25th, 2015, 12:29 pm Post #391 - August 25th, 2015, 12:29 pm
    White Castle wants to tear down its restaurant at a prominent South Loop corner in favor of a new store, a plan that hatched when a busy Green Line stop opened in February next door. There's no timeline yet for the new White Castle at 2140 S. Wabash Ave., which would also sit across the street from a landmarked former White Castle building on Cermak Road, Company District Supervisor Darrin Cotton said.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150821 ... tersection
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #392 - September 16th, 2015, 7:53 am
    Post #392 - September 16th, 2015, 7:53 am Post #392 - September 16th, 2015, 7:53 am
    Hate to ruin everyone's plans but the one on Addison/Kedzie/Elston has been shut down for days due to a power outage.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #393 - September 16th, 2015, 1:18 pm
    Post #393 - September 16th, 2015, 1:18 pm Post #393 - September 16th, 2015, 1:18 pm
    I tried the jalapeno slider today with the fried egg on top of it, and it was surprisingly good and filling. I was happy to see what looked like a real fried egg crowning the delight of a slider. Definitely worth a try for those who like the regular sliders.
  • Post #394 - September 23rd, 2017, 3:19 pm
    Post #394 - September 23rd, 2017, 3:19 pm Post #394 - September 23rd, 2017, 3:19 pm
    To be honest, I don't think I've ever eaten at White Castle, but found this cookbook in a Little Free Library and had to snatch it up to at least check it out:
    IMG_20170923_152256.jpg White Castle CraveTime Cookbook 1997

It looks like it was from 1997 as per the expiration dates on some coupons near the back. Recipes were contest submissions from fans , includes some recipe winners from as far back as 1992. Here are a few recipes and an un-PC cartoon:
    IMG_20170923_152817.jpg White Castle Souffle

IMG_20170923_152901.jpg Swedish Castle Delight

IMG_20170923_152951.jpg White Castle East Indian Bobotie
    (despite calling it "East Indian" it appears bobotie is South African)
    IMG_20170923_153200.jpg White Castle Dim Sum and Won Ton

IMG_20170923_153040.jpg Mommasons can give their family a treat by putting an oriental twist

There are several entries from people in the Chicagoland/Illinois area, perhaps you know one of them or their descendants?

Susan B. Chilton, La Grange
    Wanda Holz, Chicago
    Rose Mangano, Dolton
    Maurice Patterson, Chicago
    Lily Tung, Willa Park (I think this is a typo and should be Villa Park)
    Daniel J. Lamphier, Chicago
    Ron Patterson, Oak Forest
    Joan Courtright, Aurora
    Lyle Cunningham, Peoria
    Arlene Hlad, Burbank
    Wynona Bibly, Millstadt
    Mildred Bernhagen, Naperville
    Carol Krueger, Hickory Hills
    Carol DiPrima, Mount Prospect

There was even an entry from Doral Chenoweth, the now-retired “Grumpy Gourmet” columnist of the Columbus Dispatch (it seems like his son—or grandson—with the same name also works for the Dispatch and is the one who “discovered” the homeless man Ted Williams with the silky radio voice, in 2011). A website: http://www.grumpygourmetusa.com/home.html (warning, automatically downloads some kind of music file I think).

Googling, around, I found this blog article http://columbusbicentennial.blogspot.co ... r-all.html. Another few articles here that mention him: http://www.shortnorth.com/Hayes.html. Mr. Chenoweth is about 96 now.
  • Post #395 - September 24th, 2017, 7:50 am
    Post #395 - September 24th, 2017, 7:50 am Post #395 - September 24th, 2017, 7:50 am
    White Castle Takes a Slider-Sized Bite Out of China’s Fast Food Market

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-cast ... 1506254400
  • Post #396 - September 24th, 2017, 8:20 am
    Post #396 - September 24th, 2017, 8:20 am Post #396 - September 24th, 2017, 8:20 am
    Excelsior, that cookbook is awesome/horrifying.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #397 - August 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #397 - August 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #397 - August 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Years ago, a girlfriend wanted to stop at a white castle after a square dance, so we did. Seeing how they prepared them made me vow to never eat one (and my parents confirmed they never took us there either). Maybe it has changed, since nobody I've asked has reported seeing this.

A tray came out of the freezer with a rectangle of meat cut into squares with holes in them, one bottom bun over each square. The top buns were offset 1/2 burger in two directions so the first corner is 3/4 exposed. As they cook, all the grease is absorbed (through the hole) into the bottom bun.

The were fried (covered, per the steaming comment? I don't recall) then a spatula used to flip over one meat square plus bottom bun and match it with the top bun.

Keeping an open mind, when they started selling veggie burgers, I tried one. Dry and tasteless, but at least not swimming in grease. Bought another and took it home, adding lettuce and tomato and seasoning, and then quite passable. They do NOT (or did not) have fresh toppings available.

So, if a friend insists on taking you to white castle, bring fresh lettuce, tomato, pickle, real cheese and/or onion with you and buy the veggie burger.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #398 - August 27th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    Post #398 - August 27th, 2018, 1:49 pm Post #398 - August 27th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    Makes me wonder if they stamp out holes or push the meat aside, like if you were to stick your thumb in?

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #399 - August 27th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    Post #399 - August 27th, 2018, 4:39 pm Post #399 - August 27th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    It seems to me that White Castle is either something you like (and probably grew up eating) or don't like (because you have good sense now, and you were not indoctrinated early enough). Thinking about their food, there's no rational reason I should like it and yet, I do. But, never once have I opted for White Castle when I was in the mood for a burger. I opt for White Castle when I'm in the mood for White Castle. When I'm in the mood for a burger, White Castle never even comes to mind.

As and aside, it's a kind of analog to Arby's, which isn't something that comes to mind when thinking about roast beef. It's a thing unto itself.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #400 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 pm
    Post #400 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 pm Post #400 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As and aside, it's a kind of analog to Arby's, which isn't something that comes to mind when thinking about roast beef. It's a thing unto itself.

=R=

That's a good way of putting it. I adore Arby's. My husband thinks it's shite. He mocks me, but all I have to do is say "look who's talking, you like WC" and that's the end of that argument.

I write stuff.
  • Post #401 - August 27th, 2018, 4:51 pm
    Post #401 - August 27th, 2018, 4:51 pm Post #401 - August 27th, 2018, 4:51 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: seems to me that White Castle is either something you like (and probably grew up eating) or don't like (because you have good sense now, and you were not indoctrinated early enough).

As and aside, it's a kind of analog to Arby's, which isn't something that comes to mind when thinking about roast beef. It's a thing unto itself.

=R=

There's another variable to be considered re: Arby's. I think they got worse, much worse, over time. When I was a youth in Elmhurst, an Arby's opened on York Rd., and they had a large plexiglass case on the counter holding a big bloody roast beef, hanging from a chain (for that disturbing image of beef in bondage, you're welcome). The meat during that period tasted fresh. I liked it. Now, it tastes like dog food. I believe it changed over time, in part to keep making a profit year over year. Quality was sacrificed after they had suckered in a generation or two who may have liked it when it was better food and just got into the habit of eating there even as the food got worse. I don't think my tastes changed as much as the taste of Arby's beef changed.

Not sure White Castle was ever better than it is now.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #402 - August 27th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    Post #402 - August 27th, 2018, 5:06 pm Post #402 - August 27th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    Hi,

When passing through St. Louis, I do my best to stop at a Lion's Choice for a roast beef sandwich. At the fixin's counter they have beef broth dispenser to fill a cup to dip your sandwich. I consider it soup and sandwich.

Lion's Choice originated in the 1960's. There are people who believe it represents today what Arby's once did long ago.

Their signs don't show up on the food options available at the next exit. If you don't deliberately seek them out, you pass an exit only to see one on the frontage road a little later.

http://www.lionschoice.com/

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #403 - August 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm
    Post #403 - August 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm Post #403 - August 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

When passing through St. Louis, I do my best to stop at a Lion's Choice for a roast beef sandwich. At the fixin's counter they have beef broth dispenser to fill a cup to dip your sandwich. I consider it soup and sandwich.

Lion's Choice originated in the 1960's. There are people who believe it represents today what Arby's once did long ago.

Their signs don't show up on the food options available at the next exit. If you don't deliberately seek them out, you pass an exit only to see one on the frontage road a little later.

http://www.lionschoice.com/

Regards,
    Cathy2

What a great tip! Thank you, Cathy! How did I not know about Lion's Choice? I am going to have to have a stern talk with the St. Louis cousins.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #404 - August 27th, 2018, 6:38 pm
    Post #404 - August 27th, 2018, 6:38 pm Post #404 - August 27th, 2018, 6:38 pm
    White Castle aptly named their large load the Crave Case for good reason.

I never think about going there....until I do.

If you want everything on it, just ask. They will gladly squirt a ketchup/mustard concoction over the pickle - that makes it for me.
  • Post #405 - August 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm
    Post #405 - August 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm Post #405 - August 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm
    stoutisgoodfood wrote:They will gladly squirt a ketchup/mustard concoction over the pickle - that makes it for me.

I agree (love that Dusseldorf mustard) but then I also think how silly that is . . . that the condiments are the best part of the experience!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #406 - August 28th, 2018, 6:48 am
    Post #406 - August 28th, 2018, 6:48 am Post #406 - August 28th, 2018, 6:48 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It seems to me that White Castle is either something you like (and probably grew up eating) or don't like (because you have good sense now, and you were not indoctrinated early enough). Thinking about their food, there's no rational reason I should like it and yet, I do. But, never once have I opted for White Castle when I was in the mood for a burger. I opt for White Castle when I'm in the mood for White Castle. When I'm in the mood for a burger, White Castle never even comes to mind.

=R=

Well said Ronnie.

When I crave a burger there so many other places I will go to, including McDonalds, and White Castle will never enter into the thought process. However, there are times, typically while running around doing stuff on the weekends, where I will drive past a White Castle and just get a craving for them. Luckily this doesn't happen often, maybe once a year or so.

As you correctly surmised, I grew up eating them, though since the closest one to our Rogers Park home was at Addison/Elston, going there was considered a "treat". It's funny that as you mention, I don't really consider them burgers per se, they are White Castle's. It's kinda similar to Jack-in-the-Box tacos, not something you would really consider a taco in comparison to "real" tacos, but when on the road and driving past a Jack-in-the-Box, it's hard to push aside the old craving for a few of them.
  • Post #407 - August 28th, 2018, 9:27 am
    Post #407 - August 28th, 2018, 9:27 am Post #407 - August 28th, 2018, 9:27 am
    They are a sub-category in the wonderfully diverse world of hamburgers, and the world (or at least mine) would be a sadder place if they did not exist. Krystal also fits in this category, and nothing draws my ire more than a place advertising "sliders" which are not actually "sliders." OK, I'm exaggerating, since everyone calls any small burger or sandwich a "slider" these days, but that just ain't right! And, as said before, no, you don't have to grow up with them to love them. I've met many an off-the-boater who loves the damned things.
  • Post #408 - August 28th, 2018, 10:19 am
    Post #408 - August 28th, 2018, 10:19 am Post #408 - August 28th, 2018, 10:19 am
    At a White Castle in NJ, I ordered six sliders. The guy asked if I wanted a hamburger or a cheeseburger. Apparently asking for a slider at White Castle is a regional thing.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #409 - August 28th, 2018, 10:31 am
    Post #409 - August 28th, 2018, 10:31 am Post #409 - August 28th, 2018, 10:31 am
    Cathy2 wrote:At a White Castle in NJ, I ordered six sliders. The guy asked if I wanted a hamburger or a cheeseburger. Apparently asking for a slider at White Castle is a regional thing.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Now that so many places have "sliders" on their menus and some have cheese, some don't, I guess you need to be specific.

In addition White Castle themselves announced "cheesy sliders" a while back: https://www.whitecastle.com/about/compa ... sy-sliders
  • Post #410 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:39 am
    Post #410 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:39 am Post #410 - September 2nd, 2018, 1:39 am
    Seeing that the coupons for White Castle are the only thing that appear in the bundle with "Hoy" {the Tribune's {Hi- David Hammond} Spanish-language advertising rag}, I have wound up buying the 16-pack of frozen White Castle Cheeseburgers at Food4Less when it puts it on sale. Has anybody beside me noticed that a sentence on the box mentions White Castle hamburgers are produced with genetically modified ingredients? :?:
    But, nonetheless, I have boxes of them in the freezer. I eat two to four of them sporadically. I add a Vlasic pickle slice (jar ordered from Jet.com) to them after the microwaving. They taste about the same. I still contend that that slice of cheese the restaurant puts on the slider is not worth 28¢.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #411 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:17 am
    Post #411 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:17 am Post #411 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:17 am
    Cathy2 wrote:At a White Castle in NJ, I ordered six sliders. The guy asked if I wanted a hamburger or a cheeseburger. Apparently asking for a slider at White Castle is a regional thing.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Well, "slider" on its own does not convey enough information. A slider can come with cheese or without. I suppose on its own, cheeseless could be assumed, but never assume! :) At least to me, "slider" means a small hamburger that is at least partially steam-grilled with onions (either over a bed of onions like at White Castle, or with the onion on top of the burger before being flipped, kindasorta like a mini version of an Oklahoma onion burger.) So that narrows it down to places like White Castle, Krystal, and a bunch of ma & pops out in New Jersey. As usual, Kenji has the run-down on Serious Eats.
  • Post #412 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am
    Post #412 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am Post #412 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am
    Binko wrote:At least to me, "slider" means a small hamburger that is at least partially steam-grilled with onions (either over a bed of onions like at White Castle, or with the onion on top of the burger before being flipped, kindasorta like a mini version of an Oklahoma onion burger.) So that narrows it down to places like White Castle, Krystal, and a bunch of ma & pops out in New Jersey. As usual, Kenji has the run-down on Serious Eats.

You're leaving out Ft. Wayne's own Powers Hamburgers, which is a beacon of sliderdom.

ETA: In Kenji's article, He lists Power's Hamburgers as one of the stalwarts, along with The Cozy Inn in Salina KS, so it's not completely White Castle or NJ, for sliders.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #413 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:28 pm
    Post #413 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:28 pm Post #413 - September 2nd, 2018, 10:28 pm
    stevez wrote:You're leaving out Ft. Wayne's own Powers Hamburgers, which is a beacon of sliderdom.

ETA: In Kenji's article, He lists Power's Hamburgers as one of the stalwarts, along with The Cozy Inn in Salina KS, so it's not completely White Castle or NJ, for sliders.

Sorry. Re-reading my post, I see that I made it sound like those were the only places one can get sliders. That was not my intention. Sliders can be made anywhere, it's just those three sets of locations are the ones that immediately come to mind to me.
  • Post #414 - September 3rd, 2018, 6:55 am
    Post #414 - September 3rd, 2018, 6:55 am Post #414 - September 3rd, 2018, 6:55 am
    IIRC, the term “sliders” applies to any burger that quickly and easily traverses your intestinal tract.

It’s a zen thing: form means nothing because it’s all about the trip.
  • Post #415 - March 13th, 2021, 7:13 am
    Post #415 - March 13th, 2021, 7:13 am Post #415 - March 13th, 2021, 7:13 am
    White Castle turns 100. https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 942992002/
  • Post #416 - March 14th, 2021, 3:44 pm
    Post #416 - March 14th, 2021, 3:44 pm Post #416 - March 14th, 2021, 3:44 pm
    Stopped at the white castle in Lebanon Indiana a couple of weeks ago. It is the one next to the meat processing plant that supposedly serves fresh burgers. I don't know if it was an accident or if they are changing up the cooking process, but the meat had a slight crunch to it, which I assume means that the meat was in direct contact with the griddle, not steamed on the onions. My three double sliders (no cheese) were the best that I have ever had. If it was an accident, they need to adopt that cooking method.

-Will
  • Post #417 - March 28th, 2021, 7:16 pm
    Post #417 - March 28th, 2021, 7:16 pm Post #417 - March 28th, 2021, 7:16 pm
    Back in the day when you ordered burgers the cashier would relay your order not as a burger or cheese burger but a “Castle or a Castle with Cheese”. I was introduced to Castle Cuisine in college. Both my husband and I will eat it but our teens refuse instead opting for Steak n Shake.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #418 - March 28th, 2021, 7:53 pm
    Post #418 - March 28th, 2021, 7:53 pm Post #418 - March 28th, 2021, 7:53 pm
    WillG wrote:Stopped at the white castle in Lebanon Indiana a couple of weeks ago. It is the one next to the meat processing plant that supposedly serves fresh burgers. I don't know if it was an accident or if they are changing up the cooking process, but the meat had a slight crunch to it, which I assume means that the meat was in direct contact with the griddle, not steamed on the onions. My three double sliders (no cheese) were the best that I have ever had. If it was an accident, they need to adopt that cooking method.

-Will

No! Don't you mess with my White Castle. I want steam-grilled goodness, not what everyone else serves.

BTW, did I mention it upthread or was I on a different board? The White Castle at Cermak and Wabash serves the 1921 slider (and has for the last couple years), and it's a made-to-order, griddled, not steam-grilled White Castle slider with cheese, onions, tomato, lettuce. It tastes like an actually pretty decent normal fast food hamburger. I can't say I'm a fan, because that's not what I go to White Castle for, but it sounds like something you might like. (The WC website only lists Cincinnati locations for the 1921 Slider now, so I wonder if it's no longer available here in Chicago; I could swear I saw it there earlier this year. ETA: I checked yesterday, 3/29/21, and they still have posters advertising them at the Wabash location.)
  • Post #419 - January 19th, 2022, 7:29 am
    Post #419 - January 19th, 2022, 7:29 am Post #419 - January 19th, 2022, 7:29 am
    Binko wrote:So, has anybody actually been to White Castle for their Valentine's Day dinner? My wife has given me permission to take her there. I joked about it a couple years ago, but now I'm on the verge of actually making reservations. Half of the allure is the fascination of who takes their SO to White Castle for Valentine's Day?

White Castle cancels 'fine dining' on Valentine's Day

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/18/business ... 2592191306
  • Post #420 - January 19th, 2022, 7:41 am
    Post #420 - January 19th, 2022, 7:41 am Post #420 - January 19th, 2022, 7:41 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Binko wrote:So, has anybody actually been to White Castle for their Valentine's Day dinner? My wife has given me permission to take her there. I joked about it a couple years ago, but now I'm on the verge of actually making reservations. Half of the allure is the fascination of who takes their SO to White Castle for Valentine's Day?

White Castle cancels 'fine dining' on Valentine's Day

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/18/business ... 2592191306

Last year, White Castle gave the Valentine's Day celebration a socially distanced tweak. Instead of dining inside, customers could book a parking spot and enjoy car-side service.

My family and I did this without any irony.

The company isn't forgoing the day completely, however. White Castle is making it a to-go celebration with a very pink "Love Cube" meal box.
    The meal for two (which can be delivered for free on Valentine's Day through White Castle's delivery partners on all orders $15 and up) includes eight cheese sliders, two small soft drinks and a choice of two shareable sides. Cost of the meal: About $15.

If someone does this, please post a picture. I am not near any White Castles, unfortunately.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more