LTH Home

Hospital Food

Hospital Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Hospital Food

Post #1 - June 29th, 2008, 8:43 pm
    Post #1 - June 29th, 2008, 8:43 pm Post #1 - June 29th, 2008, 8:43 pm
    An odd topic this might sound, and I couldn't think of a place other than this particular forum to post it (and if there's already a thread here somewhere for this, Moderators, please feel free to move this there). The subject came to the forefront of my mind the past several days as I found myself an unexpected and surprised patient at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (I came home today, on the mend).

It's been about 45-years since I'd been a hospital patient, sleeping-over for a night or more as compared to visiting for out-patient purposes. The Feinberg building at Northwestern is a beauty to behold. I was surprised how good the institutional food service was. I'm not saying it was great, but much better than I thought it would be and I ate almost everything put in front of me without wanting to send and orderly/aide down to the cafeteria to fetch something else.

I was on a general diet without restrictions, and had the run of the menu - so what was available to me was much broader than for many persons upon whom Doctors have placed restrictions.

Some of what I sampled:

-Breakfasts which included a of choice of several cereals with fresh fruit, yogurt, juices (the "Continental").

-An excellent and tall sliced roasted turkey sandwich with tomato (not pressed meat), lettuce, mayo and all of this on a seemingly fresh white bread roll, accompanied by a small bowl of sliced fresh fruit and a bowl of Minestrone soup.

-A large Thai salad with sliced chicken breast, accompanied by a bowl of Chicken soup with shells and a small iced pound cake for dessert. There were nice chunks of chicken in the soup, the shells weren't overcooked and though not like Mom makes at home, the broth was fine.

-Sliced roast pork with a light sauce/gravy, green beans (canned or frozen), a side salad with shredded carrots and tomato wedges, and Jell-O for dessert.

I'm not a coffee drinker and can't comment on the quality of that beverage served at Northwestern. Juices and many soft drinks were available, seemingly without restriction (for my "General Diet" designation) - around the clock. And if I had gotten hungry late-night - there was a short menu to order from, last-minute, until 1 or 2 a.m. (from which I did not order).

The big hospitals in town are competing for patient preferences and Northwestern seemed to get a leg-up on it's closest rival, the University of Chicago Hospitals when it made most if not all patient rooms private rooms, nicely furnished. The University of Chicago has been further upgrading its facilities and the other two major hospital groups aren't far behind - but lack the financial resources of the Big Two. Food service is one of the areas seeing improvement (from what I understand), in the drive to gain that customer loyalty. I doubt, though, that many patients are going to be making hospital choices based on the food - but combined with room quality, staff competence and daily care delivered - food does, IMO, play a role for some patients.

As I was leaving my hospital room this afternoon on my way home the supervising shift nurse on the wing of the floor I'd been a paying guest asked about staff attentiveness, comfort of the bed, food, etc., etc. She was surprised with my universally positive responses to each of the questions. I suspect I might be singing a different tune if I had chronic illnesses prompting more and longer hospital stays - but for a less than a week stay, I thought the food was good.

Had I known that the hospital would be my destination last Thursday, I'd have taken my camera along for some photos.

I’m assuming the hospital out-sources the food service for its various buildings/hospitals. If so, does anyone here know who has that contract?

Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    Feinberg Pavilion
    251 East Huron Street
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Post #2 - June 30th, 2008, 6:54 am
    Post #2 - June 30th, 2008, 6:54 am Post #2 - June 30th, 2008, 6:54 am
    A bit of a tangent, but connected-enough (I think) to avoid arrest for hijacking: The Northwestern Hospital cafeteria is one of mrs. riddlemay's and my favorite places for a bite in the area. (Especially considering that other options for a comparable meal in that area are few or nonexistent.) The roast chicken is tasty, sides are fine, and one imagines (because it's a hospital) that everything is wholesome. To tell you the truth, it creeped me out at first to enter a hospital building just for the food (it was my better half's idea), but I have to admit I enjoy our lunches there when they happen. (It's also priced very reasonably--one can't do an apple-to-apples price comparison with other restaurants in the area, since there are no other "apples," but my impression is that the prices are subsidized so as to keep them affordable for hospital employees.)

Maybe whatever contractor runs the cafeteria also sources the food for patient rooms.
  • Post #3 - June 30th, 2008, 8:05 am
    Post #3 - June 30th, 2008, 8:05 am Post #3 - June 30th, 2008, 8:05 am
    I find this topic particularly interesting. In a time gone by, when the generation of my grandparents were passing, I spent a lot of time in hospitals and learned to appreciate the hospital cafeteria. Ever since I have on occasion stopped into a hospital to eat out of curiosity as well as my frequent hospital meetings for work.

At any rate, I will find out for certain later but I believe Northwestern Hospital to have Aramark contracted for food preparation. I am not so sure about U of C but I will find that out as well.

I have to agree that he food of these two hospitals is not only very good but that it does surpass the less high profile hospitals in the city though Central Dupage Hospital is pretty good as well.

For those unfamiliar with hospital food I would say it has evolved from bland, industrial, never fresh prepared foods to what one would find on a college campus. There are small specialty cafeterias, fresh and healthy foods, menu themes, and conscientiously prepared meals despite the scale and budget.
    “Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.”
    George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright (1856-1950)
  • Post #4 - June 30th, 2008, 9:46 am
    Post #4 - June 30th, 2008, 9:46 am Post #4 - June 30th, 2008, 9:46 am
    My wife spent quite a bit of time in Edward Hospital (in Naperville) prior to giving birth to our son in late April. While I wouldn't say that the food was great, it was much, much better than what I had expected. I ate a number of meals there, and can assure you that hospital food has become increasingly better over the last few years. The main cafeteria itself is pretty nice, and in my opinion is similar to what you'd expect to find an upscale college dorm or office building food court.
  • Post #5 - June 30th, 2008, 9:53 am
    Post #5 - June 30th, 2008, 9:53 am Post #5 - June 30th, 2008, 9:53 am
    Many hospitals (at least the ones that strive to be "high performing") are significantly increasing their focus on patient satisfaction (i.e., some bonuses are being determined based in part on patient satisfaction survey results). One thing that plays a major role in patient satisfaction statistics is food. My job takes me to hospitals occasionally and some of the cafeterias are actually quite good.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #6 - June 30th, 2008, 9:56 am
    Post #6 - June 30th, 2008, 9:56 am Post #6 - June 30th, 2008, 9:56 am
    Ron A. wrote:The main cafeteria itself is pretty nice, and in my opinion is similar to what you'd expect to find an upscale college dorm or office building food court.

As another point of comparison, I'd say the hot food in the Northwestern Hospital cafeteria is superior to the hot food that was served in the State Street Marshall Field's cafeteria when it used to be on the seventh floor, and at least equal to (if not better than) the hot food now available in the MF/Macy's food court downstairs.
    Last edited by riddlemay on July 1st, 2008, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #7 - June 30th, 2008, 1:38 pm
    Post #7 - June 30th, 2008, 1:38 pm Post #7 - June 30th, 2008, 1:38 pm
    Several years ago I used to freelance as a recording secretary for several cooperatives in Park Forest and a condominium association in Lincoln Park. I would drive to my Lincoln Park destination and had very limited time (and money) to get dinner. I never knew how long the meetings would run, so eating first was a priority. I would usually walk to the hospital next door and choose something from their cafeteria. While it wasn't the best choice, it was the closest and cheapest. The food wasn't half bad, certainly not as bad as hospital food I've had in the past, and I imagined it was semi-healthy (what I was ordering probably wasn't).
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #8 - June 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm
    Post #8 - June 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm Post #8 - June 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm
    On an interesting hospital food note -- On the ground floor of Lincoln Park Hospital (Lincoln & Webster) there's a small Italian restaurant that is in the building, but not actually part of the hospital. It's dark every time I walk by it so I've always been curious what it's like. I recently met someone who worked there and inquired as to why there would be a restaurant in the building that wasn't part of the hospital, and more importantly, why it never appeared to be open. The person whom I was speaking with stated that employees often asked the exact same questions and to further highlight the enigmatic nature of the place, she mentioned that she'd tried to dine their once for lunch and upon finding a totally empty dining room, was told by a manager surprised at her presence that it was "members only."
  • Post #9 - June 30th, 2008, 3:25 pm
    Post #9 - June 30th, 2008, 3:25 pm Post #9 - June 30th, 2008, 3:25 pm
    I will say at the Univ of Chicago Hospital, there is a Le Bon Pain. It comes in especially handy when you are tired and want a nice croissant or other pastry.
  • Post #10 - June 30th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    Post #10 - June 30th, 2008, 4:11 pm Post #10 - June 30th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    In addition to the Au Bon Pain at the U of C Hospitals, there's also an Argo Tea. Very Loopish choices for Hyde Park, I must say, but I enjoy them both.
  • Post #11 - June 30th, 2008, 6:30 pm
    Post #11 - June 30th, 2008, 6:30 pm Post #11 - June 30th, 2008, 6:30 pm
    third coast foodie wrote: For those unfamiliar with hospital food I would say it has evolved from bland, industrial, never fresh prepared foods to what one would find on a college campus. There are small specialty cafeterias, fresh and healthy foods, menu themes, and conscientiously prepared meals despite the scale and budget.

Having eaten a truly horrifying meal at Wright State University last year, I think you mean "what one used to find on a college campus." They no longer have a cafeteria, but offer fast foods (I think they have Chick-fil-A, but not fresh Chick-fil-A) Made me ashamed I ever complained about the food at my Alma Mater.

Sparky and I sometimes eat at the St. Francis cafeteria, which isn't bad as far as cafeterias go. I do remember being in the hospital for a routine procedure in Cincinnati in the early 90's and wondering if I would make it home...after eating the breakfast. It was the sort of breakfast that puts you in touch with your mortality.
  • Post #12 - June 30th, 2008, 11:25 pm
    Post #12 - June 30th, 2008, 11:25 pm Post #12 - June 30th, 2008, 11:25 pm
    I have had the experience of spending numerous weeks tending to my grandparents while they were in various hospitals over the past few years. When I first saw this thread. I laughed and said Northwestern has great hospital food. Although after thinking about it for a while now. I have several things that have impressed me over the years in hospital food.

UIC hospital has great deserts, actual Eli's cheesecake singles once a week and Sara Lee Apple Pie another day of the week. You can even get your doctor to order double portions. And the food wasn't half bad.

Highland Park Hospital meanwhile has an entire menu for visitors and the visitor can call a number and order whatever they want off this extensive menu. I had the steak sandwich once and expected it to be dry, tough and plain awful. It wasn't the best steak, but I've had worse. I am assuming that Evanston and Glenbrook have the same situation.

Heres to great meals in all our future hospital stays. :P
    Heather

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." Joan Gussow
  • Post #13 - July 1st, 2008, 12:27 am
    Post #13 - July 1st, 2008, 12:27 am Post #13 - July 1st, 2008, 12:27 am
    The Centegra hospitals in McHenry Co. have pretty good meals, especially for those patients on normal diets. My favorite are the fruit and cheese plates that I get periodically.

The absolutely worst food that I have ever had in a hospital was at Sherman Hospital in Elgin. The patient food is awful and the cafeteria food matches it. I have generally had a negative opinion of ARAMARK operations and this is consistent with my past experience.

Most hospitals and universities have significantly upgraded their food service as both venues are facing a lot of competition. The garbage served thirty years ago will not cut it these days. A good hospital cafeteria attracts patients and adds to the productivity of the employees as people are not rushing out during their lunch period.
  • Post #14 - July 1st, 2008, 1:50 am
    Post #14 - July 1st, 2008, 1:50 am Post #14 - July 1st, 2008, 1:50 am
    I've eaten before, many times, in the hospital 2nd Floor cafeteria at Northwestern (Feinberg) - and when the operation is in full-swing, it's been a very good choice. There's an Au Bon Pain next to the cafeteria - but the cafeteria gets most of the business I suspect. Hospital employees at Northwestern get a good discount, but outsiders pay higher prices. Earlier last week, before my unexpected incarceration there, I stopped for a lunch consisting of spaghetti and 2 meatballs and a 20 oz. diet Pepsi and the cost was almost $7. I didn't particularly like the meatballs, but the pasta and red sauce were good. Feinberg has, also, a Starbucks at the NE corner of the first floor which is frequented by neighborhood residents.

Several years ago, I had 8-months of almost daily visits to U of C Bernard Mitchell Hospital and know the lobby-situated Au Bon Pain well. It was good, and costly. The hospital's cafeteria is buried in the basement of one of the attached buildings, or maybe it's really in Mitchell, and first-time visitors often get lost looking for it. It's a room with lots of character and cafeteria-style food sold to anyone who walks in, inexpensively. I preferred Au Bon Pain. Argo Tea hadn't opened yet. I often sampled the patient food of the friend of mine, who was for a long time in a coma or induced sleep and I thought it was okay, above average, but now that I've been closer to the Northwestern food I think it (Northwestern's) is better. When the sick friend started feeling better he'd refuse the food brought to his room and insisted I walk/push him to the bowels of the building so he could eat cafeteria food and sit and talk with hospital employees. I also started sneaking-in small bags of White Castle's, which he loved. So much for good health! It's been several years now since eating at the U of C and the hospital may have further improved its food as it competes with Northwestern and others. Maybe Gary Comer left some money to improve food service, along with what he gave for that excellent children's hospital he paid to have built.

In the late-60’s, fresh out of high school, I worked for a very short time in the cafeteria kitchen at Columbus Hospital, on Lakeview in Lincoln Park (since torn-down and soon to be an elegant and expensive condominium building). Wow, what an experience that was! The food wasn’t bad, but not good either. Many neighborhood residents, seniors, would show-up at mealtime to take advantage of the then low-prices and they thought it their own “little secret.”
  • Post #15 - July 1st, 2008, 6:32 am
    Post #15 - July 1st, 2008, 6:32 am Post #15 - July 1st, 2008, 6:32 am
    Ralph Wiggum wrote:On an interesting hospital food note -- On the ground floor of Lincoln Park Hospital (Lincoln & Webster) there's a small Italian restaurant that is in the building, but not actually part of the hospital. It's dark every time I walk by it so I've always been curious what it's like. I recently met someone who worked there and inquired as to why there would be a restaurant in the building that wasn't part of the hospital, and more importantly, why it never appeared to be open. The person whom I was speaking with stated that employees often asked the exact same questions and to further highlight the enigmatic nature of the place, she mentioned that she'd tried to dine their once for lunch and upon finding a totally empty dining room, was told by a manager surprised at her presence that it was "members only."

I've actually eaten at this restaurant, but I cannot recall the name. Friends of my parents live in the neighborhood and became friendly with the owner/chef of the aforementioned restaurant and were able to arrange a dinner with several friends. My understanding is the restaurant is members only and the chef regularly cooks for local and visiting celebrities. I was told that membership in this exclusive club is several thousand dollars a year and gains you the privilege of dining at this location. Now, I'm not entirely sure how much of this tale was accurate and how much was embellished, since there were several people all offering speculation during the meal. I will tell you that it was a home cooked Italian meal consisting of several courses of excellent quality. I only wish I could find a way to eat there again. Any ideas?
    -jr
  • Post #16 - July 1st, 2008, 6:47 am
    Post #16 - July 1st, 2008, 6:47 am Post #16 - July 1st, 2008, 6:47 am
    Heather22 wrote:Highland Park Hospital meanwhile has an entire menu for visitors and the visitor can call a number and order whatever they want off this extensive menu. I had the steak sandwich once and expected it to be dry, tough and plain awful. It wasn't the best steak, but I've had worse.

I always thought their food was terrific for a hospital.

In fact,Years ago,Highland Park Hospital actually had a different chef from a local area restaurant come in every month,and teach the staff how to cook one specific dish that would become the special of the month.
  • Post #17 - July 1st, 2008, 8:22 am
    Post #17 - July 1st, 2008, 8:22 am Post #17 - July 1st, 2008, 8:22 am
    I spent several weeks in Rockford at St. Anthony's last year and less than a week this year at University of Chicago sitting with my son, and UofC is worlds above StA's in the food served to the patients, and the cafeteria for visitors/staff.

StA was really awful -- you couldn't stop them from putting gloppy gravy on things, couldn't get raw veggies (he asked for raw carrots, got cooked, chilled ones, bleah). The caf had minimal hours, and served more of the same (although they had good, cheap donuts in the morning). The saving (deadly) grace was a Culvers in short walking distance.

UofC's "food court" looks like a modern white collar [edit: was "color"] corporate cafeteria -- several stations with daily specials. Not great, but tolerable. They offered some decent food in the rooms too. The Au Bon Pain (not Le Bon Pain) is a bit pricey, but at least it's tasty (although I was not impressed with the breads for the sandwiches and sides on salads -- rather stale).
    Last edited by JoelF on July 1st, 2008, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #18 - July 1st, 2008, 1:23 pm
    Post #18 - July 1st, 2008, 1:23 pm Post #18 - July 1st, 2008, 1:23 pm
    I remember my days as a candy striper and student nurse at Resurrection on Talcott on the northwest side - they had pretty good scrod, with that nice crumbly bread topping, and some fantastic pie. Most of their food looked pretty good, and they had fresh Connie's pizza too. Most floors also had stashes of lemon Italian Ice for patient treats, which we stuffed into our oversized apron pockets and snarfed in supply rooms when no one was looking.

On the flip side, I used to work at Hinsdale Hospital, which is Seventh-Day Adventist, meaning they have strict vegetarian rules. Nothing against the Seventh-Day Adventists, but after seeing stuff with names like Beef-Like Stew and Turkey-Like Sandwiches, I started bringing my own lunch.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #19 - July 1st, 2008, 1:47 pm
    Post #19 - July 1st, 2008, 1:47 pm Post #19 - July 1st, 2008, 1:47 pm
    First, full disclosure, while I do not work for NMH, I do work in conjunction with another part of the organization.

When I first started working down here I was actually surprised when I heard people talking about how they were going to go to the hospital cafeteria for lunch. I was sort of thinking "Geez, are times that tough?!"

However I have to say that as far as hospital food goes it's very good. The employees do get various degrees of discount depending on what arm of the organization you are affiliated with. They run breakfast, lunch, dinner. They have a nice salad bar, and lately I've been getting generous slabs of watermelon for about $1.00 a pop. They've started carrying Seattle's Best coffee now, I think to compete with the Au Bon Pain next door. I think that the thing that a lot of people like about it is the mix and match ability that you have. I've also noticed that the cooks are very accomidating with any sort of special orders/substitutions that you might have.
    One Mint Julep was the cause of it all.
  • Post #20 - July 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm
    Post #20 - July 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm Post #20 - July 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm
    I actually know some "seniors" who eat regularly at Northwestern. Also, here in DeKalb, Kishwaukee Hospital does a lot of catered in food (Panera Bread for example) for hospital menu choices.
  • Post #21 - July 2nd, 2008, 6:39 pm
    Post #21 - July 2nd, 2008, 6:39 pm Post #21 - July 2nd, 2008, 6:39 pm
    Shaggywillis wrote:I will say at the Univ of Chicago Hospital, there is a Le Bon Pain. It comes in especially handy when you are tired and want a nice croissant or other pastry.

I worked at the U of C hospital for several years. In addition to the cafeteria and Au Bon Pain, staff would routinely go to the commons at Bartlett hall and Hutchinson hall for lunch. For a nice greasy gyro, there was always Sammy's Touch on Cottage Grove.
  • Post #22 - July 3rd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    Post #22 - July 3rd, 2008, 4:51 pm Post #22 - July 3rd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    My dad did his chemo a few years ago at part of U of Penn. that is across the street from Phila's Children's Hospital. And in the Children's Hospital they have a McDonald's. So we would get him a bunch of things from the $1 menu. He hated most foods then, the stuff he was on made his taste buds go all funny. But he still liked McDonald's :)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #23 - July 5th, 2008, 11:52 am
    Post #23 - July 5th, 2008, 11:52 am Post #23 - July 5th, 2008, 11:52 am
    When I worked at the UofC pre- Au Bon Pain days, our favorite spot to run & get lunch or coffee was the coffee shop in the basement of Swift Hall, the Divinity School. Its five minutes from the hospital complex & has the advantage of offering a good selection of veg & vegan options & a nice quiet atmosphere plus better coffee. FYI, the Barnes & Noble (the University bookshop) next to the entrance of the Brain Pavilllion (the east most entrance to the hospital complex) also has a cafe.

However, the best place to eat on campus IMO nowadays is the Kovler Cafe (in the GSB building on the Midway, next to Rockefeller Chapel). Really very good salad bar, good daily entrees (usually a fish option, a special pizza, & a couple of other options); they also have made to order pasta & stir frys & a grill for paninis, burgers etc. Because of the number of Indian & Asian students at the school there are usually some good ethnic offerings on the menu too (also boxed sushi, though I've not tried this at Kovler). Its also open a lot later than other campus joints (10 pm). Its worth walking over from the hospital, its a maybe 10 min walk, & there's a campus bus service in the evening.
  • Post #24 - July 6th, 2008, 4:03 pm
    Post #24 - July 6th, 2008, 4:03 pm Post #24 - July 6th, 2008, 4:03 pm
    Its worth walking over from the hospital, its a maybe 10 min walk, & there's a campus bus service in the evening.

But, note, not during the summer, when many of the campus cafes/eateries are shut down unitl the Fall quarter.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #25 - July 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm
    Post #25 - July 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm Post #25 - July 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm
    Kovler doesn't shut during the summer (too many summer students at the GSB).
  • Post #26 - July 17th, 2008, 11:06 pm
    Post #26 - July 17th, 2008, 11:06 pm Post #26 - July 17th, 2008, 11:06 pm
    Well, I spent much of this week at Centegra's Memorial Hospital in Woodstock. What a great food experience.

When you are admitted, you are handed a leather-bound menu giving you a great number of choices - including entrees, entree salads, deli sandwiches, as well as a good numbers of snack items, side dishes, and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Each meal, you call room service. The person answering the phone addresses you by name and you place the food order orally. The person is aware of your menu restrictions and will tell you if a selection cannot be produced within your diet restrictions. The food is delivered within 45 minutes (usually 30) and is well garnished and served very hot.

The menu offers a wide variety of foods that will appeal to most. Every item that was served to me was pretty good or at least acceptable - which us pretty unusual for a low-sodium/low-cholesterol diet.

The dietary staff delivers each tray individually (as opposed to by ward) and they are very cheerful.
  • Post #27 - July 18th, 2008, 9:24 am
    Post #27 - July 18th, 2008, 9:24 am Post #27 - July 18th, 2008, 9:24 am
    I had no idea about the Kovler Cafe at U of C -- I worked for the Kovler family for about 7 years in the '80's. I will have to check it out on my next outpatient visit, which will be in the next few weeks.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #28 - August 20th, 2008, 12:20 pm
    Post #28 - August 20th, 2008, 12:20 pm Post #28 - August 20th, 2008, 12:20 pm
    I am a hospital rep and I sometimes will have lunch or breakfast in many of the area hospitals and I would put Northwestern at the very top of the list. A couple of my favs are Loyola,Central Dupage, Northwest Community, Alexian Bros, University of Chicago, Christ, Rush Copley and Edwards. Avoid Hinsdale by all means. Northwestern was even featured on the show "Check Please!" a few years ago. The key to these places is the food is very good with unbelievable food options at very resonable prices. Just keep in mind that the ambiance is still a cafateria.
  • Post #29 - August 20th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    Post #29 - August 20th, 2008, 1:25 pm Post #29 - August 20th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    doctordave wrote:I am a hospital rep and I sometimes will have lunch or breakfast in many of the area hospitals and I would put Northwestern at the very top of the list. A couple of my favs are Loyola,Central Dupage, Northwest Community, Alexian Bros, University of Chicago, Christ, Rush Copley and Edwards. Avoid Hinsdale by all means. Northwestern was even featured on the show "Check Please!" a few years ago. The key to these places is the food is very good with unbelievable food options at very resonable prices. Just keep in mind that the ambiance is still a cafateria.

Maybe this is outside of your territory, how does Highland Park Hospital or Lake Forest rate?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #30 - August 20th, 2008, 2:27 pm
    Post #30 - August 20th, 2008, 2:27 pm Post #30 - August 20th, 2008, 2:27 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:how does Highland Park Hospital or Lake Forest rate?

Regards,

I can speak from experience that the food at Highland Park Hospital, while greatly improved in recent months, is pretty lousy. If you are unluck enough to be an inpatient at HPH stick with the chicken fajitas, they are the best of very meager offerings.

In my professional life i also have to visit lots of hospitals. The food at Northwestern is far and away the best in terms of quality and selection. The food at most other places is pretty lackluster. One exception is breakfast. Most hospitals offer made to order eggs and other simple breaksfasts that are fast, cheap and pretty decent.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more