LTH Home

Michelin Bib Gourmands and Stars

Michelin Bib Gourmands and Stars
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 26th, 2016, 12:07 pm
    Post #31 - October 26th, 2016, 12:07 pm Post #31 - October 26th, 2016, 12:07 pm
    Bib Gourmand Awards recognize 52 Chicago restaurants

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/re ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #32 - November 2nd, 2016, 5:30 pm
    Post #32 - November 2nd, 2016, 5:30 pm Post #32 - November 2nd, 2016, 5:30 pm
    Starred restaurants announced today - including a few new ones . . .

Three Stars
    Alinea
    Grace

Two Stars
    Acadia
    42 Grams
    Oriole*
    Sixteen
    Tru (formerly 1 star)

One Star
    Band of Bohemia*
    Blackbird
    Boka
    Dusek's Board & Beer
    EL Ideas
    Elizabeth
    Everest
    Goosefoot
    GreenRiver*
    Longman & Eagle
    Naha
    North Pond
    Parachute*
    Roister*
    Schwa
    Sepia
    Smyth*
    Spiaggia
    Topolobampo

* new to list

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - August 18th, 2017, 6:51 am
    Post #33 - August 18th, 2017, 6:51 am Post #33 - August 18th, 2017, 6:51 am
    And for the upcoming 2018 guides, Michelin will unveil a new designation worldwide: L'Assiette Michelin, or the Michelin Plate. It's a symbol that will indicate "restaurants where the inspectors have discovered quality food." And from now on, you'll see it next to any restaurant in the guide that isn't a Bib Gourmand or a starred restaurant.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
  • Post #34 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am
    Post #34 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am Post #34 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am
    https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/illinois/chicago/article/news-and-views/michelin-guide-chicago-2020-bib-gourmand-results#

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/9/19/20873782/chicago-michelin-bib-gourmands-2020

Eater looked at the removals and lists; Au Cheval, Hopleaf and Dove’s Luncheonette, Cumin and Sabri Nihari’s as removals. Four other restaurants — Bohemian House, Jade Court, Mana Food Bar, and Quiote — fell off due to closures.

Arami
    Avec
    Avlí Taverna (NEW)
    Birrieria Zaragoza (NEW)
    Cabra (NEW)
    Ceres’ TAble
    Chilam Balam
    Cira (NEW)
    County Barbecue (NEW)
    Daguan Noodle
    Daisies
    DeCOLORES
    Dos Urban Cantina
    The Duck Inn
    etta (NEW)
    Fat Rice
    Flat & Point (NEW)
    Frontera Grill
    Funkenhausen (NEW)
    Ghin Khao (NEW)
    Giant
    Gilt Bar
    Girl & The Goat
    GT Fish & Oyster
    HaiSous
    Herb
    Ina Mae Tavern (NEW)
    Jam
    Kai Zan
    Kie-Gol-Lanee (NEW)
    La Josie (NEW)
    Lonesome Rose
    Longman & Eagle
    Lula Café
    Mango Pickle
    Marisol
    mfk.
    Mi Tocaya
    Mott St.
    Nella Pizza e Pasta (NEW)
    Pacific Standard Time
    Passerotto
    Pizzeria Bebu
    Pleasant House Pub
    Proxi
    The Purple Pig
    San Soo Gab San
    Smoque BBQ
    Sol de Mexico
    Table, Donkey and Stick
    True Food Kitchen
    TWO
    Untitled Supper Club
    Virtue (NEW)

Edited to add something I sent in a PM, and that they suggested I add here:

I am surprised there are so few South Asian places. I think Egg-o-Holic, Siri, Thattu and Vajra(and/or)SpiceRoom need to be included along with Mango Pickle.
    Last edited by Indianbadger on September 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #35 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am
    Post #35 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am Post #35 - September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am
    Michelin bestows Bib Gourmand recognition to 54 Chicago restaurants, including 14 newcomers

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #36 - September 24th, 2019, 11:47 am
    Post #36 - September 24th, 2019, 11:47 am Post #36 - September 24th, 2019, 11:47 am
    Jin Thai in Edgewater seems to have lost their Bib Gourmand status.
    -Mary
  • Post #37 - September 26th, 2019, 2:22 pm
    Post #37 - September 26th, 2019, 2:22 pm Post #37 - September 26th, 2019, 2:22 pm
    2020 Stars list. Total 25 restaurants with Stars with a lot of new Japanese Omakase places in West Loop. Dusek's and Roister lost their stars.

Three Stars

Alinea

Two Stars

Acadia
    Oriole
    Smyth

One Star

Band of Bohemia
    Blackbird
    Boka
    EL Ideas
    Elizabeth
    Elske
    Entente
    Everest
    Goosefoot
    Kikkō*
    Mako*
    Next*
    North Pond
    Omakase Yume*
    Parachute
    Schwa
    Sepia
    Spiaggia
    Temporis
    Topolobampo
    Yugen*

*-NEW
  • Post #38 - January 18th, 2020, 9:50 am
    Post #38 - January 18th, 2020, 9:50 am Post #38 - January 18th, 2020, 9:50 am
    In France, an iconic restaurant loses its third Michelin star — pushing national strikes and Iran off the front page

PARIS — Paul Bocuse is a nothing short of a household name in France: The late chef, who died at 91 in 2018, was a national icon and the embodiment of a certain Gallic machismo that never seems to go out of style. This was the man often credited with spearheading “la nouvelle cuisine” in the early 1970s — lighter, more sensual fare that, as Bocuse once said, liberated food from “lots of sauces hiding the ingredients.” He also famously juggled a wife and two mistresses, but, as the French say, “tant pis” — never mind. “Monsieur Paul” could do no wrong: He was feted as the “chef of the century.”

So it came as quite the shock on Friday that his signature restaurant on the outskirts of Lyon, L’Auberge du Pont de Collonges, would lose its coveted third Michelin star this year, an honor the restaurant has comfortably held since 1965 — more than a decade before the birth of President Emmanuel Macron and more than three decades before France adopted the euro.
  • Post #39 - April 15th, 2021, 1:06 pm
    Post #39 - April 15th, 2021, 1:06 pm Post #39 - April 15th, 2021, 1:06 pm
    Michelin Guide to honor Chicago restaurants after pandemic-prompted delay.
  • Post #40 - April 27th, 2021, 8:28 am
    Post #40 - April 27th, 2021, 8:28 am Post #40 - April 27th, 2021, 8:28 am
    58 Chicago restaurants awarded Bib Gourmand designation by Michelin Guide, including 10 first-timers

• Post #41 - April 29th, 2021, 9:20 am
    Post #41 - April 29th, 2021, 9:20 am Post #41 - April 29th, 2021, 9:20 am
    Here is the list of Michelin Stars for 2021.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/he ... nts-042921

From the article:

A total of 24 Chicago restaurants earned Michelin stars this year, down from 2020's crop of 25 spots. Some of the restaurants that dropped off the list did so due to permanent closures over the past year, including Blackbird, Everest and Band of Bohemia. Many of the star-winners are still closed to the public, awaiting increases in capacity and a safer environment for staff before reopening—most notably, Entente (which closed indefinitely) and Elizabeth (currently offering takeout).

Newcomers to Chicago's two-star rankings include Ever—the latest concept from chef Curtis Duffy, who formerly helmed the three-star fine dining institution Grace—and Moody Tongue, which opened a 28-seat fine dining restaurant overseen by executive chef Jared Wentworth after the brewery moved into its new South Loop home in 2019. There's only a single entry that's new to the one-star category: Porto, a West Town seafood restaurant and wine bar inspired by the cuisine served along the coasts of Galicia and Portugal.
  • Post #42 - April 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm
    Post #42 - April 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm Post #42 - April 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm
    Really happy to see Elizabeth back on the list. Probably one of the first places I'm going back to now that they're offering reservations again (Wed-Sats starting in August, still with reduced capacity).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #43 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:44 pm
    Post #43 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:44 pm Post #43 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:44 pm
    And once again, I can say I live in the Snuburbs.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #44 - May 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm
    Post #44 - May 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm Post #44 - May 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm
    JoelF wrote:And once again, I can say I live in the Snuburbs.

It's interesting that, under current policies, back in the day, Le Francais in Wheeling was widely considered among the best restaurants in the world, but wouldn't be eligible for a Michelin star, because, well, Wheeling.
  • Post #45 - May 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    Post #45 - May 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm Post #45 - May 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    I find it disappointing that the last year has undoubtedly forever changed how we interact with restaurants and what we value about the places that prepare our food, and Michelin is sticking to their guns that the only places worthy of stars in the US are fine dining.
  • Post #46 - May 5th, 2021, 3:47 pm
    Post #46 - May 5th, 2021, 3:47 pm Post #46 - May 5th, 2021, 3:47 pm
    gnarchief wrote:I find it disappointing that the last year has undoubtedly forever changed how we interact with restaurants and what we value about the places that prepare our food, and Michelin is sticking to their guns that the only places worthy of stars in the US are fine dining.

Isn’t it their brand to define as they wish? Their brand is evaluating the “best” in fine dining. There are other vehicles to use to evaluate “best” of other categories or types of restaurants. Personally, I sorely miss the GNR program—it was infinitely more valuable to me for the types of places I care most about. Michelin was never that, yet I know why they are valuable to those who care about their focus the way I care about GNRs.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #47 - May 5th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    Post #47 - May 5th, 2021, 3:50 pm Post #47 - May 5th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    Isn't that just the definition of their stars? The Bib Gourmand and Plate Michelin seem designed to highlight types of restaurants other than fine dining?
  • Post #48 - May 5th, 2021, 9:38 pm
    Post #48 - May 5th, 2021, 9:38 pm Post #48 - May 5th, 2021, 9:38 pm
    They give stars to hawker stands in Singapore, so it’s clear that “worth a trip” doesn’t mean the same thing everywhere and that’s my frustration. They have boundaries within the city even (admitted to on record by an inspector), so they will always continue to highlight one class of restaurant in very specific neighborhoods.

GNRs are great but let’s not pretend it’s the same boost for a business as Michelin recognition. I was just hoping having an entire industry near collapse would mean some shift in the love towards smaller, less formal restaurants that are the actual backbone of dining in this country.
  • Post #49 - May 5th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    Post #49 - May 5th, 2021, 10:01 pm Post #49 - May 5th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    gnarchief wrote:They give stars to hawker stands in Singapore, so it’s clear that “worth a trip” doesn’t mean the same thing everywhere and that’s my frustration. They have boundaries within the city even (admitted to on record by an inspector), so they will always continue to highlight one class of restaurant in very specific neighborhoods.

GNRs are great but let’s not pretend it’s the same boost for a business as Michelin recognition. I was just hoping having an entire industry near collapse would mean some shift in the love towards smaller, less formal restaurants that are the actual backbone of dining in this country.

And I contend that the Hawker stand notwithstanding, those who use Michelin are looking for representation of the brand. They don’t want to use Michelin to find the great, less formal places. I think of Michelin as the guide for those spending big bucks—mostly while traveling. The places you want to promote would be of no interest to them and Michelin knows this and built their brand around that. There is no incentive for them to change what they’re doing, unless that target audience went away—and, while temporarily they have, they’ll be back soon enough as the world opens up again. Finally, as Darren noted, Michelin does recognize those places —just not with the big boys.

I think the smaller, less formal places need people to be able to go out for lunch and dinner freely again. That will help a lot more than any guide book rec. I’m sure stars would help a little, but I think it’s kinda pointless to expect that kind of pivot, even in these strange days.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #50 - May 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    Post #50 - May 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm Post #50 - May 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    At least when it comes to their U.S. awards, Michelin is laughable and the awards are a joke. Even in a normal cycle, they are essentially lists of restaurants compiled by non-locals for tourists and other non-local visitors. And this time around, they feel especially tone deaf. But Michelin has to promote Michelin and you can't do that if you refrain from putting out your lists.

This is purely anecdotal but most chefs/operators I've spoken to tell me that Michelin recognition has had zero impact on their bottom lines. I can only remember one instance when an operator told me they were certain it had a positive impact on business. Less than a week ago, another chef -- whose restaurant was recognized by Michelin this time around -- told me that if it did bring in customers, it wasn't the kind of crowd they even remotely wanted.

=R=
  • Post #51 - April 5th, 2022, 7:56 pm
    Post #51 - April 5th, 2022, 7:56 pm Post #51 - April 5th, 2022, 7:56 pm
    Chicago's restaurant scene is quietly losing Michelin star power.
    https://www.chicagobusiness.com/restaur ... estaurants
  • Post #52 - April 5th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Post #52 - April 5th, 2022, 9:43 pm Post #52 - April 5th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Chicago's restaurant scene is quietly losing Michelin star power.
    https://www.chicagobusiness.com/restaur ... estaurants

That's not a fair statement. All the stars lost were places that closed in the pandemic. Did we lose as many stars as NYC or SF?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #53 - April 6th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #53 - April 6th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #53 - April 6th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    How does having 23 starred restaurants now versus 25 starred restaurants in 2020 equate to
    quietly losing Michelin star power
  • Post #54 - April 6th, 2022, 4:25 pm
    Post #54 - April 6th, 2022, 4:25 pm Post #54 - April 6th, 2022, 4:25 pm
    lougord99 wrote:How does having 23 starred restaurants now versus 25 starred restaurants in 2020 equate to
    quietly losing Michelin star power

I don't really keep up on these things but considering that at least 3+ places that were starred in 2020 have closed (Acadia, Blackbird, Band of Bohemia and Parachute temporarily), one could actually make the argument that Chicago has gained star power. And thank goodness because nothing could be more important than a list of vetted restaurants compiled by visitors for visitors.

Now, in all seriousness, if being starred helps the restaurants (I've heard mixed opinions on this from starred operators), good for them, though.

=R=
  • Post #55 - January 6th, 2023, 8:48 pm
    Post #55 - January 6th, 2023, 8:48 pm Post #55 - January 6th, 2023, 8:48 pm
    Scoring a reservation at any Michelin-starred restaurant can be a challenge, let alone two, three, or heck, 18 in a single day. But not if you're Eric Finkelstein, as he just set a new Guinness World Record for eating at the most Michelin-starred restaurants during a 24-hour period.

https://www.foodandwine.com/eric-finkel ... ts-7091073
  • Post #56 - March 9th, 2023, 5:08 am
    Post #56 - March 9th, 2023, 5:08 am Post #56 - March 9th, 2023, 5:08 am
    New Additions to MICHELIN Guide Chicago 2023

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/articl ... tions-2023
  • Post #57 - September 6th, 2023, 6:59 am
    Post #57 - September 6th, 2023, 6:59 am Post #57 - September 6th, 2023, 6:59 am
    There’s a new-look MICHELIN Guide Ceremony for New York, Chicago and Washington – a one-night celebration of the best restaurants and professionals in the three cities.

Chefs will be invited to Spring Studios in TriBeCa, New York, the evening of Nov. 7 to discover whether their restaurant teams have received a MICHELIN Star. Attendance is by invitation only.

https://michelinmedia.com/c0/new-york-h ... -ceremony/
  • Post #58 - November 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm
    Post #58 - November 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm Post #58 - November 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm
    Five new Chicago restaurants were selected as 2023 Michelin Bib Gourmands

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/11/1/239 ... estaurants
  • Post #59 - November 1st, 2023, 5:18 pm
    Post #59 - November 1st, 2023, 5:18 pm Post #59 - November 1st, 2023, 5:18 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Five new Chicago restaurants were selected as 2023 Michelin Bib Gourmands

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/11/1/239 ... estaurants

Boonie’s Filipino Restaurant
    Cellar Door Provisions
    Pompette
    Union
    Yao Yao

=R=
  • Post #60 - November 8th, 2023, 7:42 am
    Post #60 - November 8th, 2023, 7:42 am Post #60 - November 8th, 2023, 7:42 am
    2023’s Michelin-starred restaurants in Chicago

Three-Starred Restaurants
    Smyth (new)
    Alinea

Two-Starred Restaurants
    Oriole
    Ever
    Moody Tongue

One-Starred Restaurants
    Atelier (new)
    Indienne (new)
    Topolobampo