LTH Home

Michelin Bib Gourmands and Stars

Michelin Bib Gourmands and Stars
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Michelin Bib Gourmands and Stars

Post #1 - November 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm
    Post #1 - November 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm Post #1 - November 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm
    [2013, announced in 2012]

2013 Bib Gourmands Chicago (* denotes new addition)

Ada Street *
    Ann Sather
    Antique Taco *
    Au Cheval *
    Avec
    Balena *
    Belly Shack
    Bistronomic
    The Bristol
    Browntrout
    Ceres’ Table
    Chilam Balam *
    City Tavern *
    Cumin
    Deca
    De Cero
    De Colores
    Frontera Grill
    Gemini Bistro
    Gilt Bar
    Girl & the Goat
    Green Zebra
    GT Fish & Oyster
    Han 202
    Jaipur
    Jam *
    Jin Thai
    Kabul House
    Kai Zan *
    Lao Hunan *
    Lao Sze Chuan
    La Petite Folie
    Los Nopales
    Maison *
    Marion Street Cheese Market *
    Maude’s Liquor Bar
    Mixteco Grill
    Nana
    Nightwood
    Opart Thai
    Owen & Engine
    Paramount Room
    The Publican
    The Pump Room *
    Purple Pig
    Q BBQ *
    Raj Darbar
    Riccardo Trattoria
    The Savoy *
    Sen
    Slurping Turtle *
    Smak-Tak
    Smoque BBQ
    Sol de Mexico
    Spacca Napoli
    The Storefront Company *
    Twin Anchors
    Untitled *
    Urban Belly
    Urban Union *
    West Town Tavern
    Wood *
    Xni-Pec de Yucatan
    Yolo

Removed from list:
    Arami
    Fogon
    Hopleaf
    La Creperie
    Lula Café
    Mexique
    M. Henry
    Mundial
    Cocina Mestiza
    Perennial Virant
    Taste of Peru
    Thai Village

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 5188.story

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 48241.html
    Last edited by Tom on November 7th, 2012, 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce
  • Post #2 - November 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    Post #2 - November 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm Post #2 - November 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    I am really scratching my head on some of the choices and non-choices. Was shocked Mexique was removed; doubt they are getting Michelin starred but I felt they were among the best of the Bib Gourmands - perhaps they were deemed to be just a tad too expensive to qualify. Perennial Virant I presume was removed because they are receiving a Michelin Star. I cannot comprehend how Ann Sathers was ever awarded Bib Gourmand status and am shocked it continues to be on the list; there are hundreds of better venues in Chicago within the Bib Gourmand price point. There were several venues I was really hoping would be added; the most deserving of those that were omitted is Socca IMHO. Peasantry, Hearty, Sola and Home Bistro I also was hoping would receive Bib Gourmand recognition.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #3 - November 7th, 2012, 1:12 pm
    Post #3 - November 7th, 2012, 1:12 pm Post #3 - November 7th, 2012, 1:12 pm
    No Pleasant House Bakery?

List is invalid.
  • Post #4 - November 7th, 2012, 1:24 pm
    Post #4 - November 7th, 2012, 1:24 pm Post #4 - November 7th, 2012, 1:24 pm
    TCK wrote:No Pleasant House Bakery?

List is invalid.

Agreed. I just added the pr release to the original post, which seems to have Bridgeport's Han 202 located somewhere in the south or western suburbs. Ah, well, they're Frenchmen, they can't necessarily be expected to know where Bridgeport is.
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce
  • Post #5 - November 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm
    Post #5 - November 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm Post #5 - November 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm
    List is invalid for many reasons -- multiple places on bib list should receive 1 star, multiple places on bib list shouldn't be on bib list, multiple admissions from bib list from deserving spots, etc.

My guess is Lula and PV "move up" and get 1 star each. Sliver of a silver lining is horrid Thai Village is finally off the bib list after being on there for two years.

In conclusion, hope the bib list is a 24-hour blip on the screen and we all don't speak of it again -- until next year.
  • Post #6 - November 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm
    Post #6 - November 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm Post #6 - November 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm
    I wrote Michelin off after their first Chicago issue. It's a cute list but not very meaningful, unless you use it as an address book.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - November 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
    Post #7 - November 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm Post #7 - November 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wrote Michelin off after their first Chicago issue. It's a cute list but not very meaningful, unless you use it as an address book.

=R=

Though it probably has some value to the winning restaurants, in drawing tourists to their establishments, particularly French tourists.
  • Post #8 - November 7th, 2012, 2:06 pm
    Post #8 - November 7th, 2012, 2:06 pm Post #8 - November 7th, 2012, 2:06 pm
    Tom wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wrote Michelin off after their first Chicago issue. It's a cute list but not very meaningful, unless you use it as an address book.

=R=

Though it probably has some value to the winning restaurants, in drawing tourists to their establishments, particularly French tourists.

I imagine it does, though, looking at this list, it would often lead to disappointment. For anyone who really knows the lay of the land here, it's fairly useless.

=R=
  • Post #9 - November 7th, 2012, 2:16 pm
    Post #9 - November 7th, 2012, 2:16 pm Post #9 - November 7th, 2012, 2:16 pm
    Any thoughts as to how exactly the Bib Gourmands are chosen? To my jaundiced Chicago eye, the only reason I can imagine that Ann Sather's was chosen as a representative Scandinavian restaurant over Tre Kronor is that one is owned by an alderman and the other isn't. Or am I being cynical?
  • Post #10 - November 7th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    Post #10 - November 7th, 2012, 2:24 pm Post #10 - November 7th, 2012, 2:24 pm
    It is what it is. They have a certain target audience and they know them.
    I'd never say it's a list of the best places to eat because if you use it that way you'll miss places like Cemitas Pueblas, Edzo's, Calumet fisheries, and dozens of other places. The thing is that people who take the guide seriously would never eat at any of those places to begin with.
    As I said, they have a target audience and they know them.
  • Post #11 - November 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm
    Post #11 - November 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm Post #11 - November 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm

=R=

I like the tires. 8)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #12 - November 7th, 2012, 3:17 pm
    Post #12 - November 7th, 2012, 3:17 pm Post #12 - November 7th, 2012, 3:17 pm
    Tom wrote:Any thoughts as to how exactly the Bib Gourmands are chosen? To my jaundiced Chicago eye, the only reason I can imagine that Ann Sather's was chosen as a representative Scandinavian restaurant over Tre Kronor is that one is owned by an alderman and the other isn't. Or am I being cynical?

That thought crossed my mind, but I'd like to think it is not a factor.

Isn't the alderman's name Tom? :lol:
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #13 - November 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm
    Post #13 - November 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm Post #13 - November 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

=R=

And I wrote off Michelin on a global basis after reading their Chicago recommendations. If the recs are so off here, why should I assume they'd be better elsewhere. Personally, I think awards/reviews of this nature may be simply past their prime. With the abundance of information available to diners these days, particularly on the internet, the need to rely upon a single reviewer (particularly one with whom you greatly disagree) is eliminated.
  • Post #14 - November 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm
    Post #14 - November 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm Post #14 - November 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:
    Tom wrote:Any thoughts as to how exactly the Bib Gourmands are chosen? To my jaundiced Chicago eye, the only reason I can imagine that Ann Sather's was chosen as a representative Scandinavian restaurant over Tre Kronor is that one is owned by an alderman and the other isn't. Or am I being cynical?

That thought crossed my mind, but I'd like to think it is not a factor.

Isn't the alderman's name Tom? :lol:

Yep, I've even had the pleasure of meeting Alderman Tunney, who, surprisingly, was riding the Red Line subway with me early in his tenure at City Hall. But, while he owns a Swedish restaurant, I'm actually ethnically Swedish.
  • Post #15 - November 7th, 2012, 7:04 pm
    Post #15 - November 7th, 2012, 7:04 pm Post #15 - November 7th, 2012, 7:04 pm
    Chilam Bilam it's a bit of bad timing, with the chef having just left.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #16 - November 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm
    Post #16 - November 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm Post #16 - November 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm
    JoelF wrote:Chilam Bilam it's a bit of bad timing, with the chef having just left.

The facts that Chilam Balam had not been a Bib previously and that Chuy's been gone for 7+ months could mean that Michelin likes what chef Oswald is cooking.
  • Post #17 - November 7th, 2012, 9:49 pm
    Post #17 - November 7th, 2012, 9:49 pm Post #17 - November 7th, 2012, 9:49 pm
    Twin Anchors? Seriously? Is pork jello popular in France?
  • Post #18 - November 8th, 2012, 8:16 am
    Post #18 - November 8th, 2012, 8:16 am Post #18 - November 8th, 2012, 8:16 am
    ld111134 wrote:Twin Anchors? Seriously? Is pork jello popular in France?

+1 on this! I didn't want to be the first to bring it up, because I know TA has a very loyal following, but this may be one of my least favorite restaurants in Chicago.

Especially given the inclusion of other barbecue joints that actually smoke their meats, putting TA on the same list is an insult to those that know barbecue. And their laminated table tents advertising "Prohibition Sauce" make my blood boil! If they wanted to include a bar that serves actual barbecue, Sheffield's is better by three fold in every imaginable way.
  • Post #19 - November 8th, 2012, 8:40 am
    Post #19 - November 8th, 2012, 8:40 am Post #19 - November 8th, 2012, 8:40 am

Ann Sather isn't any better or worse than the thousands of greasy spoons around the country. And by that I mean that Ann Sather is pretty bad food. If you are stuck in a small town and had to choose between the McDonald's at the highway exit or the greasy spoon, you might appreciate the latter. But in Chicago there are many more far better places, many within walking distance of Ann Sather.

But, Ann Sather is famous. I don't know why. But I can't believe how many out of towners know the place and include it on their trip to Chicago. When I tell people I live in Andersonville, a lot say they know the neighborhood because of Ann Sather. Go figure. I'd hope that a serious restaurant list would cut through the hype, but in this case apparently not.

Tom, you aren't being cynical. There certainly is a lot of behind the scenes lobbying going on. I have no idea if that happened in this case or, if it did, what form it took.
  • Post #20 - November 8th, 2012, 11:04 am
    Post #20 - November 8th, 2012, 11:04 am Post #20 - November 8th, 2012, 11:04 am
    I too am amazed at the inclusion of Twin Anchors and the removal of Hop Leaf and Taste of Peru. Oh well, I don't pay much heed to Michelin. I just hate to think some euro-visitors might pass up a great meal at TOP for meat jello and a side of bones. The steaks used to be a pretty good deal at Twin Anchors, but they have gotten expensive, and I suspect they are frozen. I imagine it is the Frank Sinatra link that keeps Twin Anchors on the list. It is an "authentic" Chicago experience. It is just too bad that "authentic" Chicago ribs suck.
  • Post #21 - November 8th, 2012, 11:08 am
    Post #21 - November 8th, 2012, 11:08 am Post #21 - November 8th, 2012, 11:08 am
    Is there any evidence that visitors from Europe put a disproportionate amount of weight on the Michelin guides (especially when travelling to the US)? I mean, I'm sure that was true 10 years ago, but now? They do have the internet in Europe.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #22 - November 8th, 2012, 12:58 pm
    Post #22 - November 8th, 2012, 12:58 pm Post #22 - November 8th, 2012, 12:58 pm
    d4v3 wrote:I too am amazed at the inclusion of Twin Anchors and the removal of Hop Leaf and Taste of Peru. Oh well, I don't pay much heed to Michelin. I just hate to think some euro-visitors might pass up a great meal at TOP for meat jello and a side of bones. The steaks used to be a pretty good deal at Twin Anchors, but they have gotten expensive, and I suspect they are frozen. I imagine it is the Frank Sinatra link that keeps Twin Anchors on the list. It is an "authentic" Chicago experience. It is just too bad that "authentic" Chicago ribs suck.

You are doubtless right on the institution status / Sinatra connection on Twin Anchors as rationale over the food. They do make my favorite classic onion rings, and I am in awe of the atmosphere that room generates. There should be a trademarked color for the glow: light filtered through 70 years of grime, decomposing wood, and pork particles.
  • Post #23 - November 7th, 2013, 11:58 am
    Post #23 - November 7th, 2013, 11:58 am Post #23 - November 7th, 2013, 11:58 am
    2014 list:

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2013/ ... vealed.php

The new additions (full list in link, haven't parsed for removals yet):

*Arami
    *ATK
    *Autre Monde
    *bellyQ
    *County
    *Fat Rice
    *Found
    *Gather
    *Homestyle Taste
    *Hopleaf
    *Juno
    *Kama Indian Bistro
    *Kurah
    *Libertad
    *Lula Café
    *Mana Food Bar
    *Mercat a la Planxa
    *Mott St.
    *Nabuki
    *Sushi Dokku
    *TAC Quick

* = added to the 2014 list

Good for my neighbors Autre Monde. I'm also glad Mercat got the nod, and am delighted and surprised Homestyle Taste is on there, with a suspicion some of our intrepid LTH explorers helped bring attention to that one.
  • Post #24 - November 7th, 2013, 12:07 pm
    Post #24 - November 7th, 2013, 12:07 pm Post #24 - November 7th, 2013, 12:07 pm
    Homestyle Taste! Love it!

Always such an odd list.
    The meal isn't over when I'm full; the meal is over when I hate myself. - Louis C.K.
  • Post #25 - November 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm
    Post #25 - November 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm Post #25 - November 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm
    Teresa wrote:Homestyle Taste! Love it!

Always such an odd list.

Yep. Same as always. Some deserving stuff and some crap. Such is life.

=R=
  • Post #26 - November 7th, 2013, 5:17 pm
    Post #26 - November 7th, 2013, 5:17 pm Post #26 - November 7th, 2013, 5:17 pm
    I actually like Mercat a lot but do they really fit in the inexpensive meal realm? (or do I order too much when there?!)
  • Post #27 - November 5th, 2014, 11:49 am
    Post #27 - November 5th, 2014, 11:49 am Post #27 - November 5th, 2014, 11:49 am
    The 2015 Michelin Bib Gourmands article in the Eater. http://chicago.eater.com/2014/11/5/7158 ... -gourmands

Arami
    A10 *
    Au Cheval
    Avec
    Azzurra EnoTavola *
    Balena
    Beatrix *
    bellyQ
    Belly Shack
    Browntrout
    Carriage House *
    Ceres' Table
    Chilam Balam
    County
    Cumin
    The Dawson *
    DeCOLORES
    Dusek's (Board & Beer) *
    Fat Rice
    Frontera Grill
    Gather
    Gilt Bar
    Girl & The Goat
    Green Zebra
    GT Fish & Oyster
    Han 202
    Herb *
    Homestyle Taste
    Hopleaf
    Jaipur
    Jam
    Jin Thai
    Kai Zan
    Kurah
    Lao Hunan
    Lao Sze Chuan
    Lula Café
    Mana Food Bar
    Maude's Liquor Bar
    Mixteco Grill
    Mott St.
    Nana
    Nightwood
    Parachute *
    Paramount Room
    The Publican
    Pump Room
    The Purple Pig
    Riccardo Trattoria
    Slurping Turtle
    Smoque BBQ
    Sol de Mexico
    Spacca Napoli
    Sushi Dokku
    Table, Donkey and Stick *
    TAC Quick
    Untitled *
    TWO *
    Wood
    * = added to the 2015 list

The article also states -

Some major players also dropped off the list. Mercat a la Planxa, Found, Ada Street, Urban Belly, Juno (which was closed for nearly eight months due to a fire), Antique Taco, Autre Monde, Owen & Engine, Libertad, Gemini Bistro, Q BBQ (in La Grange) and Marion Street Cheese Market were all removed.

The possibility always exists that restaurants were left off the Bib Gourmand list because they were bumped up to star status.

It must be very nerve wracking to wonder whether you are getting a star, or losing a bib. I sure hope Found gets a star.
  • Post #28 - November 5th, 2014, 12:16 pm
    Post #28 - November 5th, 2014, 12:16 pm Post #28 - November 5th, 2014, 12:16 pm
    Who knew that the 5400 block of Broadway was such a hotbed? Jin Thai at 5458 N Broadway is joined this year by Herb at 5424 N Broadway.
    -Mary
  • Post #29 - November 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm
    Post #29 - November 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm Post #29 - November 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm
    I didn't realize that Smak-Tak fell off last year. That's too bad.
  • Post #30 - October 22nd, 2015, 1:16 pm
    Post #30 - October 22nd, 2015, 1:16 pm Post #30 - October 22nd, 2015, 1:16 pm
    The number of Bib Gourmand recipients in the 2016 Michelin Guide Chicago is down from 59 last year and 69 the year before.

The complete list (* denotes newcomer):

The Angry Crab*

Arami

A10

Au Cheval

Avec

Balena

Beatrix

BellyQ

Belly Shack

Bohemian House*

Carriage House