LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 6
  • Post #121 - October 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm
    Post #121 - October 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm Post #121 - October 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm
    I love Noel, but for a 90s kid like me, duh. I like Prue and her outfits too. And miss Mary. Paul has always been the toxic one, imo.

And I never noticed the two day outfits thing until my wife pointed it out. You're not alone on that one.
  • Post #122 - October 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm
    Post #122 - October 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm Post #122 - October 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm
    Hi,

The impression I get, this show is taped on weekends. During the week, the contestants return home.

They know what is expected for the initial bake and show stopper, so they practice those bakes. An earlier season, I think it was Ruby (or Martha) who had other obligations and did not practice as much as they thought they should. They winged it more than most other contestants would consider prudent.

I guess they must launder between Saturday and Sunday, because they'd be a mess beginning the show stopper on Sunday.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #123 - October 14th, 2019, 10:23 pm
    Post #123 - October 14th, 2019, 10:23 pm Post #123 - October 14th, 2019, 10:23 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I guess they must launder between Saturday and Sunday, because they'd be a mess beginning the show stopper on Sunday.

You'd think, right? But I did a little digging and this article seems to indicate otherwise . . .

The Great British Bake Off is usually filmed over the course of two days per episode.

Because of this, producers are very strict on having contestants wear the exact same clothes to avoid any mishaps with continuity.

So even if the bakers get a little hot under the collar on day one, they still have to wear the same clothes on the second day.

Former winner Frances Quinn told Cosmopolitan: "Luckily they change the aprons so we don't look like a Jackson Pollock painting by the end of it."

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #124 - October 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Post #124 - October 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm Post #124 - October 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    I've loved Noel Fielding since The IT Crowd, and I think he adds a warm, funny, positive element to the latest version of the show.

But I do think TGBBS has gotten more mean-spirited, like so many US competition shows (cooking and other). I blame this choice of dynamics on the producers (which is also to say, the switch from the BBC to ITV), rather than the presenters, but it seems especially a downgrade to me in the case of TGBBS, which used to be a much more pleasant and peaceful respite from the world outside.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #125 - October 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm
    Post #125 - October 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm Post #125 - October 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm
    Katie wrote:But I do think TGBBS has gotten more mean-spirited, like so many US competition shows (cooking and other). I blame this choice of dynamics on the producers (which is also to say, the switch from the BBC to ITV), rather than the presenters, but it seems especially a downgrade to me in the case of TGBBS, which used to be a much more pleasant and peaceful respite from the world outside.

I feel the opposite, that it's a delight to watch the contestants help each other and cheer each other on. If there's a meanness, it's in the technical challenges.

I don't watch a lot of other contest shows (we stopped watching the Tim Gunn-less Project Runway, we still watch Top Chef when we remember). Top Chef actually has improved its game, it's less cutthroat, petty, feudish and fully of personal drama (or more likely it's no longer edited to highlight those aspects).

I miss Mel and Sue -- they were sillier than Noel and Prue are. It seems the humor is mostly limited to costuming in the intro.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #126 - October 15th, 2019, 4:34 pm
    Post #126 - October 15th, 2019, 4:34 pm Post #126 - October 15th, 2019, 4:34 pm
    Joel, I agree with you, the meanness is not among the contestants but with the technical challenges they're being given, and I'd also say, some of the criticisms from the judges and some choices that seem odd to me about who gets eliminated.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #127 - October 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm
    Post #127 - October 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm Post #127 - October 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm
    Taking into consideration the context of judges' comments, I can only think of two instances in seven seasons where I thought the wrong person was eliminated. One of them really irritated me but happily, the person who skated did not go on to win. The other instance (a different season) took place much later in the competition and it seemed to be a closer call, so I didn't find it as irritating.

I don't see anything innately mean in assigning the contestants increasingly difficult technical challenges but doing so does make the viewing less enjoyable for me because watching several people fail at making something isn't a particularly enjoyable experience. After all, this isn't Nailed It, which I watched once before tiring of it.

However, watching the contestants accomplish something difficult is more rewarding than watching them accomplish something easy, so I understand it's a tough line to straddle. The private banter between the judges as they jokingly delight in the Technical's degree of difficulty feels benign to me, especially in light of how the judges interact with the contestants. It never seems personal and they're plenty kind. On top of that, pretty regularly one of the judges admits to not ever having heard of the item assigned in the Technical, which indicates that there's no shame in the contestants not knowing, either. It just doesn't add up to meanness for me.

=R=
  • Post #128 - January 16th, 2020, 7:33 am
    Post #128 - January 16th, 2020, 7:33 am Post #128 - January 16th, 2020, 7:33 am
    Sandi Toksvig quits as Great British Bake Off co-host

Sandi Toksvig is to leave the hit Channel 4 series The Great British Bake Off. The 61-year-old broadcaster is exiting the show after three years to “focus on other work projects”, according to the channel. Toksvig – who joined Bake Off in 2017 alongside comic Noel Fielding – also presents the BBC quiz show QI, and previously hosted The News Quiz on Radio 4. She has also written novels and plays, founded the Women’s Equality Party in 2015, and will host a forthcoming series for Channel 4, The Write Offs, in which illiterate adults take part in a spelling bee.

=R=-
  • Post #129 - March 11th, 2020, 8:56 am
    Post #129 - March 11th, 2020, 8:56 am Post #129 - March 11th, 2020, 8:56 am
    at theguardian.com, Hannah J Davies wrote:The comic and actor Matt Lucas will take over as a host of Channel 4’s Great British Bake Off alongside Noel Fielding. Sandi Toksvig stepped down in January after co-presenting the show for three years.

Lucas said in a statement: “I’m chuffed to bits to be joining the most delicious show on television. I can’t wait to break bread with Noel, Prue and Paul and meet the brilliant bakers. And bearing in mind my love of cake, I’ve already ordered some much larger trousers in anticipation. See you in the tent!”

Fielding said: “I love Matt. I love his warmth and his comedy and his big joyful smile. I think if we play our cards right we could become the next Chas and Morph.”

Paul Hollywood described Lucas as a “fantastic addition to the team”, while his fellow Bake Off judge Prue Leith said: “The combination of Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding! Will we stop laughing and get any filming done?”

Matt Lucas to co-host Great British Bake Off

=R=
  • Post #130 - April 18th, 2020, 11:51 am
    Post #130 - April 18th, 2020, 11:51 am Post #130 - April 18th, 2020, 11:51 am
    Former royal chef gives online lessons on how to make Queen's scones

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #131 - April 19th, 2020, 10:33 am
    Post #131 - April 19th, 2020, 10:33 am Post #131 - April 19th, 2020, 10:33 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Former royal chef gives online lessons on how to make Queen's scones

Got all excited when I saw this and then...he makes them but doesn't give any measurements or even rough approximations. Doesn't even describe his ingredients in the least (or whether, say, you could consider substitutions. Such as cream for milk, since he is using "milk.")

Otherwise, mildly interesting; I found a recipe for scones many years ago--after spending at least a decade or more looking for one that I liked--and I've used it ever since. It's for simple, straightforward "cream scones" and it has been a reliable standby for me now for a long, long time. It's from a place called Stephanie Inn in Oregon. The recipe I link to here is the same as what I found many years ago, except for one thing. The one I link to here includes 1/3 cup butter; my version (which I got from the Inn's own website--which no longer includes it) did not include the butter. I've never used it and never missed it. The cream (if you use heavy cream) is more than rich enough, imho.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #132 - May 22nd, 2020, 7:33 pm
    Post #132 - May 22nd, 2020, 7:33 pm Post #132 - May 22nd, 2020, 7:33 pm
    I make amends with a link to a recipe for the Queen's scones served at garden parties.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #133 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am
    Post #133 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am Post #133 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am
    No amends needed, of course. Interesting recipe. I wonder what "plain flour" means and it's interesting that they use both "Butter Milk" and butter as well in lieu of cream. The recipe otherwise looks pretty straightforward and very similar to what I had understood were always called "cream scones."

P.S. Ahem. A quick check confirms the suspicion: plain flour is the UK equivalent of all-purpose. Still, I wonder whether in England that means a high protein AP flour or otherwise.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #134 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:59 am
    Post #134 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:59 am Post #134 - May 23rd, 2020, 6:59 am
    Hi,

They refer to bread flour as 'strong flour,' if that helps!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #135 - September 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    Post #135 - September 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm Post #135 - September 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    New episode Friday, September 25 = Netflix
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #136 - November 4th, 2020, 10:29 pm
    Post #136 - November 4th, 2020, 10:29 pm Post #136 - November 4th, 2020, 10:29 pm
    Luis Troyano, ‘Great British Bake Off’ Star, Dies at 48
    “Great British Bake Off” finalist (season 5) Luis Troyano has died from oesophageal cancer. He was 48.

Troyano’s agent Anne Kibel confirmed the season five contestant’s death on Twitter on Tuesday. “Sadly, my lovely client lost his brave fight against Oesophageal cancer last week. A fantastic man with a love of baking that saw him get to the finals of GBBO, write a wonderful book, Bake It Great and do so much more. Always in our thoughts.”

My reaction was surprise he was that young. I remember him and thought he was far older.
    Cathy2

• Post #137 - September 10th, 2021, 3:56 pm
    Post #137 - September 10th, 2021, 3:56 pm Post #137 - September 10th, 2021, 3:56 pm
    Netflix announced this week that “The Great British Baking Show” will return Sept. 24.
  • Post #138 - September 11th, 2021, 3:33 pm
    Post #138 - September 11th, 2021, 3:33 pm Post #138 - September 11th, 2021, 3:33 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:and it's interesting that they use both "Butter Milk" and butter as well in lieu of cream. The recipe otherwise looks pretty straightforward and very similar to what I had understood were always called "cream scones."

My daughter lives in London and I have a little experience with their terminology. They have 'butters' that we don't have. For instance, there is 'clotted cream' which is a very rich butter.
  • Post #139 - September 24th, 2021, 9:12 pm
    Post #139 - September 24th, 2021, 9:12 pm Post #139 - September 24th, 2021, 9:12 pm
    Netflix dropped the first episode early this morning and will drop one every Friday until it concludes.
    Cathy2

• Post #140 - December 24th, 2021, 9:28 pm
    Post #140 - December 24th, 2021, 9:28 pm Post #140 - December 24th, 2021, 9:28 pm
    And now The Great Canadian Baking Show ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWxDFXMmKc

I have heard there is an Australian variant out there, too.
    Cathy2

• Post #141 - December 27th, 2021, 9:55 am
    Post #141 - December 27th, 2021, 9:55 am Post #141 - December 27th, 2021, 9:55 am
    Professional Baker Reviews Baking Scenes from Movies & TV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aY3uqkhxo

Cathy2

• Post #142 - January 1st, 2022, 2:36 pm
    Post #142 - January 1st, 2022, 2:36 pm Post #142 - January 1st, 2022, 2:36 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:And now The Great Canadian Baking Show ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWxDFXMmKc

I have heard there is an Australian variant out there, too.

Well, New Zealand, anyway. If you peruse youtube, you'll see it referred to as the Great Kiwi Bake Off. There have been 3 seasons. Perhaps there's an Australian iteration, too?*

As for Canada, the first season is from 2017 and from what I've seen so far, the skill level of the bakers appears to be decidedly lower than that of the participants in the British version. I'm not sure the contestants were chosen very well.

There are trade-offs with the series 'airing' via youtube. Watching in standard definition is a step down (an HD version does not appear to be available) but I can increase the playback speed. I've been watching at 1.5x, so I can get through the episodes 25% faster! :D

=R=

*There is an Australian version of which there are 5 seasons, some episodes of which are also available on youtube.
  • Post #143 - January 12th, 2022, 11:46 pm
    Post #143 - January 12th, 2022, 11:46 pm Post #143 - January 12th, 2022, 11:46 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As for Canada, the first season is from 2017 and from what I've seen so far, the skill level of the bakers appears to be decidedly lower than that of the participants in the British version. I'm not sure the contestants were chosen very well.

There are trade-offs with the series 'airing' via youtube. Watching in standard definition is a step down (an HD version does not appear to be available) but I can increase the playback speed. I've been watching at 1.5x, so I can get through the episodes 25% faster! :D

Season 1 of Canada never really got off the ground. I got the sense that more attention was paid to casting the various contestant slots than to the actual talent of the contestants. The final four were all fine bakers but none gave me the sense that they would have gone very far in the British version of the show.

Season 2 was a complete turn-around from Season 1. A handful of the bakers appeared to be immensely talented. They turned out great looking bakes that were lauded by the judges. All the episodes were entertaining. The final few were especially enjoyable and well worth the time they required to watch (even if I'd watched at 1x speed :D).

I've only watched a couple of episodes of Season 3 but so far, it appears to resemble Season 1 a lot more than Season 2. The first few episodes had me wondering how some of these people even made it onto the show, unless their baking ability wasn't considered at all.

On top of that, in what seems endemic of Reality TV, by Season 3, both original hosts are gone, as is one of the judges. So, 3/4 of the 'talent' has turned over. The two new hosts, probably well-known and well-liked Canadian TV personalities, are a major step down, especially considering previous host Dan Levy's departure (clearly, he went on to much greater success). The new hosts just seem to be trying way too hard and it's pretty darned painful to watch them. I suppose I'm not alone in that opinion because reading ahead a bit, I see that they were both replaced after their one-season stint.

Season 3's new judge -- Kyla Kennaley -- appears to be taking a very subordinate role to Bruno (even more than Rochelle ever did) but that seems fairly understandable, given that she's essentially boarding a moving train.

Looking forward to zipping my way through these seasons. For me, at the end of the day, what ultimately makes these shows worth watching is seeing actual talent on display and watching that talent improve along the way. In that respect, I hope Season 3 and whatever follows it, are more like Season 2 than Season 1.

=R=
  • Post #144 - January 13th, 2022, 1:12 pm
    Post #144 - January 13th, 2022, 1:12 pm Post #144 - January 13th, 2022, 1:12 pm
    Hi,

The American version made the same mistake their first season: favored contestant personalities over their baking talents. If you don't really have skills in baking, personality will not cut it.

When there are disasters, at least it is learned people disasters.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #145 - January 28th, 2022, 8:22 pm
    Post #145 - January 28th, 2022, 8:22 pm Post #145 - January 28th, 2022, 8:22 pm
    The Great British Bake-Off is serving us the musical we didn’t know we needed. The long-running baking show competition has announced a musical spin-off of the hit reality TV show set to premiere at the Everyman Theatre in Cheltenham, England this summer.
    https://www.thekitchn.com/official-grea ... l-23289656
  • Post #146 - September 23rd, 2022, 6:50 am
    Post #146 - September 23rd, 2022, 6:50 am Post #146 - September 23rd, 2022, 6:50 am
    This season's first episode was last week.

New to me moment: soy sauce added to the cake batter instead of salt and to amp up the umami. Watching the judges go nuts over the flavor, I now want to try this myself.

Dessert exchange!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #147 - October 9th, 2022, 3:46 am
    Post #147 - October 9th, 2022, 3:46 am Post #147 - October 9th, 2022, 3:46 am
    HI,

Just finished this week's episode highlighting Mexican food.

First round was conchas. The judges complaints about the end results about being hard and dry pretty much sums up my experience. How could these contestants do better? I have been advised when fresh baked and made with quality ingredients, these can be terrific.

The technical challenge was tacos, which many had nearly no experience. How do you begin to make refried beans when you have no clue? A lot of uninformed guesses were made and some knew what to do.

The show stopper was Tres Leches cake with a minimum of four layers.

I am sure some efforts would make a Mexican cook roll their eyes. I know that has been my reaction when they tackle American food.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #148 - October 10th, 2022, 6:23 am
    Post #148 - October 10th, 2022, 6:23 am Post #148 - October 10th, 2022, 6:23 am
    I was surprised how few of the contestants knew about tacos and tortillas. Sure it's ubiquitous here, but there are a couple of chains in London (tried it there, wasn't impressed, but it was decent). The need to make refried beans from scratch was very odd. I also have to wonder how spicy is too spicy for Paul & Prue?

And how is griddling tortillas baking? That was a very odd technical challenge.

Lastly, I have never seen a layered or decorated tres leches cake. I'm surprised nobody's dissolved its own weight.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #149 - October 11th, 2022, 4:57 pm
    Post #149 - October 11th, 2022, 4:57 pm Post #149 - October 11th, 2022, 4:57 pm
    I am catching up on TGBBS after falling way behind (a few years). I have found a great way to enjoy it even more. The Guardian has its livestreams (hilarious) complete with BLT comments (hilarious) available online for, if not all seasons, at least several years' worth. I didn't check how far back. Took me a good bit of scrolling to get back to the 2019 episode 1 live stream, but I'm glad I did.

Those of you more up to date than me with TGBBS might enjoy watching recent episodes while following along with The Guardian's livestreams. To avoid spoilers, you might have to delay your gratification, but only by a week, unless I'm mistaken. I think the infamous Mexican episode is the latest one available on Netflix, whereas The Guardian livestreamed the Mexican episode (2022 episode 4) last week (Oct 4) and livestreamed 2022 episode five today (Oct 11).
  • Post #150 - October 11th, 2022, 5:35 pm
    Post #150 - October 11th, 2022, 5:35 pm Post #150 - October 11th, 2022, 5:35 pm
    Hi,

My understanding of the current season broadcasts: UK on Tuesday and Netflix/USA on Friday.

That is far better than it once was.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more