LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 6
  • The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

Post #1 - January 4th, 2015, 7:30 pm
    Post #1 - January 4th, 2015, 7:30 pm Post #1 - January 4th, 2015, 7:30 pm
    Hi- I am watching the Great British Baking Show on WTTW right now. Has anybody seen this? All the contestants were just given a recipe for cookies, where the recipe states that you are supposed to bake the cookies till golden brown. The recipe does not give a time. There appears to be a wide range of ages among the contestants.
  • Post #2 - January 5th, 2015, 8:41 am
    Post #2 - January 5th, 2015, 8:41 am Post #2 - January 5th, 2015, 8:41 am
    I stumbled upon this show yesterday. While I missed the beginning, I was able to watch the final challenge where they had to make the mini-cakes, as well as a tiny bit of the challenge before that. I really enjoyed the show. It was refreshing to see the judges and contestants being civil towards each other. It also seemed that several of the competitors really had some serious baking skills. I'm not very familiar with traditional British baked goods so I also found it to be a good learning experience as well.
  • Post #3 - January 5th, 2015, 10:16 am
    Post #3 - January 5th, 2015, 10:16 am Post #3 - January 5th, 2015, 10:16 am
    HI,

We watched it last night, too, waiting for Downton Abbey.

First challenge was to make 36 biscuits, which each person made their own version.

Second challenge was an almond lace cookie with a chocolate bottom. This recipe was from one of the judges, which probably made it more nerve wracking. I will imagine the absence of information was purposeful to demonstrate each baker's knowledge.

Final challenge was fantasy cookie scapes.

One woman who was not eliminated seemed to wish she was, because she remarked how challenging and tired she was.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - January 5th, 2015, 10:44 am
    Post #4 - January 5th, 2015, 10:44 am Post #4 - January 5th, 2015, 10:44 am
    I saw the first episode that buttercream referenced with the mini-cake final challenge. What struck me is that they are baking in what looks to be a large tent. They kept showing shots of the rain falling outside the tent. I was surprised that the cakes weren't impacted by the humidity, but perhaps these bakers are used to the elements. Several of the bakers kept opening the ovens to check on their creations, which I think would negatively impact whatever was baking.
    -Mary
  • Post #5 - January 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm
    Post #5 - January 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm Post #5 - January 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm
    Hi- I turned it on when they had the almond lace cookie challenge, and they were trying to determine how long the cookies should be in the over. What was refreshing about it was the wide range of ages of the bakers. It looked like one of the bakers was in her 20's, and several were in their 70's, and they were all actually civil to one another, and there were no celebrity judges such as Gordon Ramsey. They also all seemed to be strictly amateur bakers, and they are not receiving any money for winning the competition. I also saw a few minutes of the first episode a few days ago while they were making the mini loafs. Apparently this show is very popular in Great Britain. I also noticed that the show was taped in a tent, and I thought that was kind of strange. This show is definitely not a high budget show.

After the show finished last night, I switched it to Celebrity Apprentice. I am not a Downton Abbey fan. On Celebrity Apprentice the two teams were given the task of making pies and selling them for charity. There was a differing of opinions as to whether they should spend their time making lots of pies to sell, or just making a few pies, and hitting up their friends for lots of money for each pie. Celebrity Apprentice is going to be on again tonight.
  • Post #6 - January 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm
    Post #6 - January 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm Post #6 - January 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm
    Funny coincidence. My sister (who lives in Leeds) was just visiting, and knowing that my family likes Masterchef Junior suggested The Great British Bake Off. We started with the first season, which she says is a mistake, and I can see why. There is a pretense of documentary, and a greater aim toward education (fun though it still is). She says as the seasons go on the budgets get bigger and it becomes better. Regardless, this thing is a juggernaut in the UK. The last season peaked with, what, 13 million viewers? Which is like 20% of the country. I really liked how sometimes they were given what seemed to be relatively easy tasks, but so little in the way of detail that it really taxed and tested their skills as amateur bakers.
  • Post #7 - January 6th, 2015, 1:38 pm
    Post #7 - January 6th, 2015, 1:38 pm Post #7 - January 6th, 2015, 1:38 pm
    NFriday wrote:After the show finished last night, I switched it to Celebrity Apprentice. I am not a Downton Abbey fan. On Celebrity Apprentice the two teams were given the task of making pies and selling them for charity. There was a differing of opinions as to whether they should spend their time making lots of pies to sell, or just making a few pies, and hitting up their friends for lots of money for each pie. Celebrity Apprentice is going to be on again tonight.

Actually that is what we ended up watching, because channel 11's signal was weak. They repeat so often plus there is always the option of picking up the new season at the library for a binge watch.

All those egos in one team, friction is just waiting to happen.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #8 - January 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm
    Post #8 - January 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm Post #8 - January 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I turned it on when they had the almond lace cookie challenge, and they were trying to determine how long the cookies should be in the over. What was refreshing about it was the wide range of ages of the bakers. It looked like one of the bakers was in her 20's, and several were in their 70's, and they were all actually civil to one another, and there were no celebrity judges such as Gordon Ramsey. They also all seemed to be strictly amateur bakers, and they are not receiving any money for winning the competition. I also saw a few minutes of the first episode a few days ago while they were making the mini loafs. Apparently this show is very popular in Great Britain. I also noticed that the show was taped in a tent, and I thought that was kind of strange. This show is definitely not a high budget show.

She's actually 17 and a student. Back episodes are available on demand so if you missed Cakes, you can still catch it. Next up is, I think, bread.

I also think Mary Berry would disagree with you "no celebrity judges" comment, :-) I think she's pretty well known in England.

Personally I love the particularly British take on things, the politeness and overall calm the contestants project. If the judges were that in my face while I was trying to make mousse, I am sure I'd snap at them.
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #9 - January 6th, 2015, 7:50 pm
    Post #9 - January 6th, 2015, 7:50 pm Post #9 - January 6th, 2015, 7:50 pm
    Last year sometime they had The American Baking Competition. Paul Hollywood, the male judge from the British version was in the American version. They also baked in a tent. Jeff Foxworthy was the host. More information here.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #10 - January 6th, 2015, 8:11 pm
    Post #10 - January 6th, 2015, 8:11 pm Post #10 - January 6th, 2015, 8:11 pm
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Last year sometime they had The American Baking Competition. Paul Hollywood, the male judge from the British version was in the American version. They also baked in a tent. Jeff Foxworthy was the host. More information here.

Pretty sure this was the late summer/early fall 2013 on CBS. It was an attempt to transfer the success of the UK show to the US, but was a flop.
  • Post #11 - January 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm
    Post #11 - January 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm Post #11 - January 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm
    rickster wrote:
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Last year sometime they had The American Baking Competition. Paul Hollywood, the male judge from the British version was in the American version. They also baked in a tent. Jeff Foxworthy was the host. More information here.

Pretty sure this was the late summer/early fall 2013 on CBS. It was an attempt to transfer the success of the UK show to the US, but was a flop.

A big problem with the show in my opinion was Jeff Foxworthy as the host. I couldn't get past that.
  • Post #12 - January 19th, 2015, 4:04 pm
    Post #12 - January 19th, 2015, 4:04 pm Post #12 - January 19th, 2015, 4:04 pm
    Hi,

If you have not seen this week's episode yet ... Spoiler Alert

I came in the during the second half when they were making the Baked Alaskas. I have had limited exposure to this dessert, though I was quite impressed with the range these cooks offered.

Iain had a meltdown when his dessert melted, because it was not in the freezer. I am a bit confused and maybe you can offer some clarification: he seemed to have his dessert in another contestant's freezer. Did she take it out to rearrange hers and forgot to put it back? I know when he expressed concern to her, she reminded him he had his own freezer. His reaction was to toss his entire dessert in the garbage leaving him with nothing to show.

I just did a quick search to learn I was not the only one surprised: A Cake Scandal Hit “The Great British Bake Off” And The British Are Angry (If you want to avoid spoilers, please run away now).

It appears his Baked Alaska was out of the freezer for no more than 40 seconds, which is why his meltdown was not directed at Diana.

Regards.
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - January 19th, 2015, 4:38 pm
    Post #13 - January 19th, 2015, 4:38 pm Post #13 - January 19th, 2015, 4:38 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

If you have not seen this week's episode yet ... Spoiler Alert

I came in the during the second half when they were making the Baked Alaskas. I have had limited exposure to this dessert, though I was quite impressed with the range these cooks offered.

Iain had a meltdown when his dessert melted, because it was not in the freezer. I am a bit confused and maybe you can offer some clarification: he seemed to have his dessert in another contestant's freezer. Did she take it out to rearrange hers and forgot to put it back? I know when he expressed concern to her, she reminded him he had his own freezer. His reaction was to toss his entire dessert in the garbage leaving him with nothing to show.

I just did a quick search to learn I was not the only one surprised: A Cake Scandal Hit “The Great British Bake Off” And The British Are Angry (If you want to avoid spoilers, please run away now).

It appears his Baked Alaska was out of the freezer for no more than 40 seconds, which is why his meltdown was not directed at Diana.

Regards.

Yes quite a scandal on the show. Searching some other comments on the show:

Several freezers failed, forcing the contestants to share freezers. No one had their own freezer.

Whether she deliberately left it out, or it was an accident (i.e. she forgot) has been the crux of the discussions, with no clear answer.

It's also not clear whether the ice cream was out for only 40 seconds. It appeared to be to have significantly melted from the edges in, which is unlikely to have happened so quickly. On the other hand, the freezers did not appear to be working properly either.
  • Post #14 - January 19th, 2015, 5:23 pm
    Post #14 - January 19th, 2015, 5:23 pm Post #14 - January 19th, 2015, 5:23 pm
    Hi- I turned on the show last night just as they were starting on the baked alaska. I have never made one, and I did not realize how much work was involved in making one. I too was disappointed that Iain had to go home, but he was the only obvious choice. What I can't figure out is did he and Diana share a freezer? Why was she able to complete hers and his did not freeze. Some of the baked alaska desserts were really original. This is the first melt down I have seen among the group of contestants so far, which is rather remarkable.

I was wrong about Mary Berry not being a celebrity judge. I looked her up on Wikipedia, and apparently she has written 70 cookbooks which have been published in Great Britain. It sounds like she is very well known over there. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #15 - January 22nd, 2015, 3:10 pm
    Post #15 - January 22nd, 2015, 3:10 pm Post #15 - January 22nd, 2015, 3:10 pm
    Just discovered it the other day and love it. But as someone pointed out upthread, they're so CIVIL to each other. It's a pleasure to watch and to hear the judges actually offering explanations and suggestions and teaching people something in addition to judging.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #16 - January 26th, 2015, 9:41 am
    Post #16 - January 26th, 2015, 9:41 am Post #16 - January 26th, 2015, 9:41 am
    Hi,

The stacked, graduated sized meat pies last night was quite a vision. They made food I have seen in illustrated Victorian table settings, though not seen today. Links to representative recipes from this episode.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - January 26th, 2015, 9:49 am
    Post #17 - January 26th, 2015, 9:49 am Post #17 - January 26th, 2015, 9:49 am
    I had never seen such a display of pies in my life. I also learned about hot water pastry which I had never heard of as well. I really enjoyed last night's episode, and the continued civility of the contestants and judges.
  • Post #18 - January 26th, 2015, 1:31 pm
    Post #18 - January 26th, 2015, 1:31 pm Post #18 - January 26th, 2015, 1:31 pm
    I watched last night too, and found it very interesting.
    I also had never heard of hot water pastry....
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #19 - January 27th, 2015, 9:52 pm
    Post #19 - January 27th, 2015, 9:52 pm Post #19 - January 27th, 2015, 9:52 pm
    Add me to the list of folks enjoying this show. I'm watching the pie episode now.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #20 - February 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    Post #20 - February 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm Post #20 - February 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    Did any of you see last night's episode where for the technical challenge, they had to make kouign Amman? None of the contestants knew what it was, or how to pronounce it. I was so excited that I knew what was up thanks to LTH and bad wolf coffee!
  • Post #21 - February 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm
    Post #21 - February 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm Post #21 - February 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm
    buttercream wrote:Did any of you see last night's episode where for the technical challenge, they had to make kouign Amman? None of the contestants knew what it was, or how to pronounce it. I was so excited that I knew what was up thanks to LTH and bad wolf coffee!

Me too! I am only halfway through the episode though, so I haven't seen the showstopper. I had no idea that kouign is pronounced kind of like "queen" either. The dough reminded me of croissants (http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/clas ... sants.aspx), with the yeast and the layering... I'm surprised that no-one remarked on that.

So, if you were to make one recipe from the show so far, what would you make? My husband wants me to make a meat pie, but the kouign amman looks so yummy. No way on the Princess Cake-- way too many steps!
    Some recipes here:
    http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-bri ... king-show/
  • Post #22 - February 10th, 2015, 9:42 am
    Post #22 - February 10th, 2015, 9:42 am Post #22 - February 10th, 2015, 9:42 am
    Once again I was able to feel ahead of my time. This time because I began searching for kouign Amman about a year and a half ago, probably thanks to this board. I remember asking the folks @ Floriole @ the green city market. They said they had them in the shop[ but didn't bring them to the market. I finally found them @ Bad Wolf and fell in love, both with the pastry and the shop.

I was very surprised that none of the contestants knew what they were making. Given that, they came up with some really good stuff. Nice show.
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #23 - February 16th, 2015, 3:00 pm
    Post #23 - February 16th, 2015, 3:00 pm Post #23 - February 16th, 2015, 3:00 pm
    Hi,

Spoiler alert if you have not seen February 15th's episode yet. Just skip reading the balance of the thread, if this is important to you.

Spoiler:
    I had never seen anyone proof dough in a microwave before. This is an article related to the episode.

My use of a microwave for proofing dough was rather old fashioned: bring a quart of water to boil, then insert the dough to rise in this heat and steam filled environment.

I found an article where they use the microwave at 10% power to speed proofing along.

While I was a dubious watching the baking show as the judges. Clearly it did not negatively affect the final product.

Martha, the youngest, left the show yesterday. The granny using microwave proofing methods is still in.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - February 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm
    Post #24 - February 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm Post #24 - February 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm
    Hi- Do they rebroadcast this show at all? I did not watch it last night because I was hooked on the SNL 40 year anniversary show on NBC last night. I know I can watch it online though. The Celebrity Apprentice finale this evening should be interesting. I did not realize that all the previous Celebrity Apprentice challenges took place last Spring. That explains how Joan Rivers appeared on the show a few weeks ago. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #25 - February 16th, 2015, 5:54 pm
    Post #25 - February 16th, 2015, 5:54 pm Post #25 - February 16th, 2015, 5:54 pm
    Hi,

LOL, yeah Joan Rivers rising from the dead for Celebrity Apprentice.

Great British Baking was repeated at 2 pm on WTTW-Prime.

Upcoming Episodes

Advanced Dough
    The competitors must make enriched Sweet Fruit Loaves, followed by a Technical challenge.
    Mon, Feb 16 at 2:00 pm on WTTW Prime

Tue, Feb 17 at 3:00 am on WTTW HD

Sun, Feb 22 at 2:00 pm on WTTW HD

Patisserie
    It's semi-finals time and the tension is palpable as the bakers take on Patisseries.
    Sun, Feb 22 at 7:00 pm on WTTW HD

Mon, Feb 23 at 2:00 pm on WTTW Prime

Tue, Feb 24 at 2:30 am on WTTW HD

Final
    The three finalists must master a classic pastry technique that normally takes a day in three hours.
    Sun, Mar 1 at 6:30 pm on WTTW HD

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - February 16th, 2015, 6:04 pm
    Post #26 - February 16th, 2015, 6:04 pm Post #26 - February 16th, 2015, 6:04 pm
    I can get this show On Demand via Comcast.
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #27 - February 17th, 2015, 5:37 am
    Post #27 - February 17th, 2015, 5:37 am Post #27 - February 17th, 2015, 5:37 am
    For anyone who isn't aware, this season and prior seasons of the show (which were not broadcast in the US) have been put up on Youtube. There are also some Christmas and Easter specials in which Paul and Mary take you through some holiday recipes.

Note: looking through Youtube listings might spoil you on the eventual winner.
  • Post #28 - February 17th, 2015, 8:02 am
    Post #28 - February 17th, 2015, 8:02 am Post #28 - February 17th, 2015, 8:02 am
    For a limited time, you can also watch the shows via the PBS website-- but they expire after a few weeks. I'm watching last week's episode today....

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365408803/

Cheers, Jen
  • Post #29 - February 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm
    Post #29 - February 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm Post #29 - February 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm
    Spoiler:
    Martha, the youngest, left the show yesterday.

Are you acquainted with the term "spoiler alert," for those of us who had not yet seen the episode? :x
    Last edited by sundevilpeg on February 18th, 2015, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #30 - February 18th, 2015, 9:54 am
    Post #30 - February 18th, 2015, 9:54 am Post #30 - February 18th, 2015, 9:54 am
    sundevilpeg wrote:
    Martha, the youngest, left the show yesterday.

Are you acquainted with the term "spoiler alert," for those of us who had not yet seen the episode? :x

Yes, I can't watch it live either, so would appreciate no spoilers about who goes home. TIA

So many things I want to bake after watching these shows. I have made kouign amann before and was very excited to see it. Poticia/Poviticia I have also made, but not like they did. We always used long skinny loaf type pans. The way they baked it was interesting. And pies, so many pies. I've made several batches of ciabatta since the bread episode using Peter Reinhart's recipe.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more