LTH Home

How food can bring us together

How food can bring us together
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • How food can bring us together

Post #1 - July 10th, 2021, 2:58 pm
    Post #1 - July 10th, 2021, 2:58 pm Post #1 - July 10th, 2021, 2:58 pm
    Just a fun story that I was recently thinking about.

From 2004-2006 my daughter was in a very small town in Ghana ( a country in Africa on the SW coast ) for the Peace Corp. We visited her for 2 weeks in her town and we traveled around the country. Jennie and I came to really enjoy the food.

2 years after coming home from Ghana and enrolling in grad school, my daughter was visiting us and we decided to go to the only Ghanian restaurant in the city. We didn't expect the food to be good ( it wasn't ), but we thought it would be nostalgic. While we were sitting and eating, 3 young people walked in and my daughter yells OMG and runs up to them and hugs them.

These 3 people were in Ghana at the same time as my daughter and while all of them were in different parts of Ghana, they all get together in-country regularly to discuss Peace Corp stuff and form friendships. My daughter had not kept up with these 3 people, but they had kept up a relationship among themselves. None of them lived in Chicago. They were traveling around the country for a couple of weeks and were in Chicago for a couple of days and figured they would try one of the few Ghanian restaurants in the country. We spent a very fun evening together.
  • Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:17 am
    Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:17 am Post #2 - July 12th, 2021, 10:17 am
    That's a great story, lougourd99!
    -Mary
  • Post #3 - July 12th, 2021, 11:40 am
    Post #3 - July 12th, 2021, 11:40 am Post #3 - July 12th, 2021, 11:40 am
    Nice, Lou. It really is a small world and the connection that food provides makes it even smaller.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more