LTH Home

Recommendations for books on sustainable eating?

Recommendations for books on sustainable eating?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Recommendations for books on sustainable eating?

Post #1 - September 26th, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Post #1 - September 26th, 2021, 6:14 pm Post #1 - September 26th, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Hi- I looked and I did not see any threads on this topic other than Michael Pollan. There have been a few books that have come out recently about sustainable eating, and I am wondering if anybody has read any of them and have any recommendations? The books I am referring to are Diet for a Small Planet- 50th anniversary edition by Francis Moore Lappe, Animal, Vegetable, Junk by Mark Bittman, and We Are What We Eat by Alice Waters. I am going to try to check one of them out of the library. Diet for a Small Planet just came out on Tuesday. The Wilmette library is the only one that currently has the book. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - September 26th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Post #2 - September 26th, 2021, 6:57 pm Post #2 - September 26th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Wow. Bringing back the memories. Diet for a small planet was my go to cookbook when I was in college 1972-1976.

I guess there is no reason it cannot still be relevant 50 years later, but that would be suspect to me.
  • Post #3 - September 26th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    Post #3 - September 26th, 2021, 7:05 pm Post #3 - September 26th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    It is totally revised. They supposedly get into climate change a lot. It just came out on Tuesday, and only has one review so far on Amazon. It looks like it is selling fairly well though. They have some new recipes by celebrity chefs including Mollie Katzen, and Alice Waters.
  • Post #4 - September 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    Post #4 - September 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm Post #4 - September 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    Not quite sure what you mean about sustainable eating. Like are you looking for a book about farmer's markets or about how to eat less meat?

That said, my favorite "eat local" book is Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler. It's not so much a cook book as a how-to. It's a super enjoyable read and you don't need to be into local food to get a lot out if it. Highly recommend.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #5 - September 29th, 2021, 7:53 am
    Post #5 - September 29th, 2021, 7:53 am Post #5 - September 29th, 2021, 7:53 am
    Hi,

You may want to join this evening's program with Peter Hoffman (information in Events).

You may also want to listen to Vital Information talk about his experiences of being a locavore from 13 years ago.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - January 10th, 2022, 4:21 am
    Post #6 - January 10th, 2022, 4:21 am Post #6 - January 10th, 2022, 4:21 am
    I just purchased Diet for a Small Planet on Amazon, and I got the book a few days ago. The first half of the book is mostly stuff that was covered in the original edition. The second half of the book is new stuff and includes lots of recipes. Some of the recipes are new, and some are repeats from past editions that have been updated. The only complaint I have about the book, is the fact that they don't always tell where the recipes come from. At the end of the book, they mention who the contributors to the book are, and Mollie Katzen is a contributor, but they don't mention which recipes she contributed to the book.
  • Post #7 - January 10th, 2022, 4:27 am
    Post #7 - January 10th, 2022, 4:27 am Post #7 - January 10th, 2022, 4:27 am
    Does anybody have a Mediterranean diet cookbook they really like? The Complete Mediterranean cookbook by Cook's Illustrated seems to be the most popular one, and ATK just came out with a new cookbook called More Mediterranean. Milk Street has also come out with a Mediterranean cookbook too.

Cook's Illustrated is doing a six-part series on the Mediterranean diet. The series started yesterday, and they talked about incorporating vegetables into your diet, and they included several recipes. The Mediterranean diet is supposed to be one of the healthiest diets.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more