LTH Home

WP article about woman that wins 25 ribbons at county fair

WP article about woman that wins 25 ribbons at county fair
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • WP article about woman that wins 25 ribbons at county fair

Post #1 - July 7th, 2022, 11:09 pm
    Post #1 - July 7th, 2022, 11:09 pm Post #1 - July 7th, 2022, 11:09 pm
    Hi- I just ran across an article in the Washington Post about a woman that won 25 out of the 80 ribbons given at a county fair in Virginia last month. It became a popular subject on the internet about how somebody could win that many ribbons, and if that person really existed. People were on the lookout for Linda Skeens. It just so happens that Linda Skeens granddaughter happened to discover when she was online, that people were looking for her grandmother. The granddaughter informed people that her grandmother did really win all of the ribbons, but that the grandmother does not have a Facebook account, an email account, or even a cell phone, and so that is why people could not track her down. Another Linda Skeens that also lives in Virginia was assumed to be the person that won all of the ribbons, and she had to post on her Facebook page that she was not that Linda Skeens.

The fair is called the Virginia Kentucky county fair and is located in Wise County. Linda Skeens lives in a neighboring county though. I'll see if I can find a link to the article.
  • Post #2 - July 8th, 2022, 12:41 am
    Post #2 - July 8th, 2022, 12:41 am Post #2 - July 8th, 2022, 12:41 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I just ran across an article in the Washington Post about a woman that won 25 out of the 80 ribbons given at a county fair in Virginia last month. It became a popular subject on the internet about how somebody could win that many ribbons, and if that person really existed.

The fair is called the Virginia Kentucky county fair and is located in Wise County. Linda Skeens lives in a neighboring county though. I'll see if I can find a link to the article.

Wise Co. is a very poor rural county in Southwestern Virginia. It is a county that was highly dependent on the coal industry. I do not find it uncommon that a single individual would win a high percentage of the rewards in a county fair, especially as the county is in population decline and the population is aging. It takes someone with a lot of time to can some of the more unusual items that they have in some county fair catalogs.
  • Post #3 - July 8th, 2022, 3:14 am
    Post #3 - July 8th, 2022, 3:14 am Post #3 - July 8th, 2022, 3:14 am
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ucky-fair/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - July 8th, 2022, 3:23 am
    Post #4 - July 8th, 2022, 3:23 am Post #4 - July 8th, 2022, 3:23 am
    The Today Show also did a story on this. The Virginia Kentucky District Fair has received many requests for an interview with Linda, but she refuses to be interviewed. I would just love her recipe for strawberry fudge, but it sounds like that is not going to happen. She won 23 out of the 25 bakery categories, and there were a total of 40 people that competed for a ribbon.
  • Post #5 - July 21st, 2022, 8:40 am
    Post #5 - July 21st, 2022, 8:40 am Post #5 - July 21st, 2022, 8:40 am
    I just turned on the Today show a half hour ago, and they said the woman than won 25 ribbons at the county fair was going to be on at 8:47. Her name is Linda Skeens. This was the first time she had been on a plane. They had a peanut butter fudge that she made, as well as a peach pie, and other things.

She does not have a cell phone or an email account and she originally refused to be interviewed by anybody. She said that she was a big fan of Willard Scott, who used to be the weatherman on the Today show. When the Today Show posts a link to her appearance, I will post it here. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more