LTH Home

America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation

America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation

Post #1 - December 8th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    Post #1 - December 8th, 2022, 9:38 pm Post #1 - December 8th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    Hi-ATK-The Next Generation was supposed to start airing on freevee tomorrow. I just went on freevee to see what time it is airing, and I found out that you can go to Freevee and watch the first episode right now. There are 11 amateur contestants competing, and all of the judges are from ATK. One of the contestants is from Chicago. I have the first episode on right now. The winner wins $100,000, and a spot on ATK's cooking show on PBS. The winner will also be given the opportunity to write a cookbook for ATK.

Freevee is the free version of Amazon Prime, and they have commercials. I was able to access it on my Sony smart TV. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #2 - December 8th, 2022, 11:14 pm
    Post #2 - December 8th, 2022, 11:14 pm Post #2 - December 8th, 2022, 11:14 pm
    I just finished watching the first episode of ATK: The Next Generation, and they did have commercials, but they were not that bad at all. The show is sponsored by Tostitos. They have four judges, but only two judges appear during each episode, and they have two different competitions that each last one hour.

The host of the program I am not familiar with, but the contestants are really nice to one another, and the judges give constructive criticisms, but do not put down any of the contestants. I don't like it as well as the original Great British Baking show, but it is much better than most of the cooking competitions out there. I can tell right away who is not going to last very long.

They say there are new episodes on Friday, and so maybe the second episode is going to be available tomorrow.
  • Post #3 - December 9th, 2022, 8:15 am
    Post #3 - December 9th, 2022, 8:15 am Post #3 - December 9th, 2022, 8:15 am
    NFriday wrote:Freevee is the free version of Amazon Prime, and they have commercials. I was able to access it on my Sony smart TV. Hope this helps, Nancy

If you can't stand the ads and are an Amazon Prime member, most of the Freevee shows do show up on Amazon Prime Video, although possibly not immediately.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - December 9th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    Post #4 - December 9th, 2022, 2:11 pm Post #4 - December 9th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    I did not think the ads were that bad at all. I occasionally watch a few shows on TLC, and the ads on there are much worse.
  • Post #5 - December 12th, 2022, 10:04 am
    Post #5 - December 12th, 2022, 10:04 am Post #5 - December 12th, 2022, 10:04 am
    Hi,

This show begins with one of my pet peeves: addressing everyone as chef. What is wrong with addressing these talented home cooks as cooks.

I understand using the existing kitchens they own. Those people are really packed into a small space.

The lack of imagination with the food competition titles: Making us something that is you on a plate. Geez where have we heard that before?

Whoever is the MC is too shrieky. Contestants are on pins and needles anyway, but that woman's reminders are fingernails on a chalkboard.

I hope they tweak the show in future episodes.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - December 12th, 2022, 2:13 pm
    Post #6 - December 12th, 2022, 2:13 pm Post #6 - December 12th, 2022, 2:13 pm
    Yeah, that one gets me too: "Chef" as an honorary title. Should I be addressed as "Handyperson TJ"? For a funny take, read Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun, in which the robot narrator names nearly everyone in this fashion.
  • Post #7 - December 12th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    Post #7 - December 12th, 2022, 4:04 pm Post #7 - December 12th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    One of the contestants won Top Chef Amateur last year, Once the number of cooks goes down they will have more room. I don't know if I like the switching on and off of judges. I assume the other two judges are going to judge session 2. It is strange that I saw session one on Thursday, and they said new episodes are appearing on Fridays. When I looked yesterday, they were still on the first episode.

I don't love the host. I think she appeared on the Real which I have never watched. They don't get into why the cooks chose the challenges they did. At least though there is no drama in this competition. Everybody seems to get along.

Tonight Baking it is on Peacock. I am hoping it is on the free version of Peacock. They are having the holiday edition of Baking it on NBC too at 9:00 tonight with the celebrity chefs. A lot of the celebrity chefs are from Saturday Night Live. I am not sure if they are going to use the same Grandma judges for the holiday edition or not.
  • Post #8 - January 3rd, 2023, 2:54 am
    Post #8 - January 3rd, 2023, 2:54 am Post #8 - January 3rd, 2023, 2:54 am
    Has anybody else been watching ATK: The Next Generation? I have watched the first four episodes. I am getting used to the host. On every episode other that the first, they have had a judge from ATK paired with another judge. All of the judges have been good.
  • Post #9 - January 8th, 2023, 12:24 am
    Post #9 - January 8th, 2023, 12:24 am Post #9 - January 8th, 2023, 12:24 am
    Hi,

I missed most of last week's episode ...

I watched this week's which had an interesting new competition: each contestant chooses a dish, then have two of the classic components exchanged for something else of the cook's choosing. For example, make a lasagna with no noodles and cheese or pizza without dough and tomato sauce.

My favorite exchange was the woman making enchiladas. Instead of a tortilla, she made a thin egg omelette to fill with cheese and roll.

These competitions had only 45 minutes to execute. Really have to think on your toes.

The backgrounds of the contestants are people who might be considered for jobs at ATK. The competition decides who is a keeper. There is no housewife or stay-at-home dad in the bunch who just loves to cook.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more