LTH Home

Cooking Shows and Families?

Cooking Shows and Families?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cooking Shows and Families?

Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 7:04 pm
    Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 7:04 pm Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 7:04 pm
    Maybe it's just a fluke, but this season on PBS' Create channel, my fave cooking shows seem to have become family occasions. Ming has his kid on every show. Jacques more often than not has his granddaughter. Patti has various of her sons.
    I don't find that the kids particularly add anything to the shows, but maybe I misunderstand the goal of the shows.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:44 pm
    Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:44 pm Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:44 pm
    Jacque Pepin cooked with his daughter Claudine some years ago. It was very clear she was not cook at the time. I felt Jacque was quite frustrated with her and could not express himself because of the cameras.

I enjoyed the tension.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:49 pm
    Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:49 pm Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:49 pm
    And Lidia's grandchildren :roll: I see all their names in the credits, so, conspiracy theorist that I am, I've started to suspect it's a way to get them some royalty income, although I don't know if PBS reruns generate much if anything in royalties. I don't mind Jacques Pepín's granddaughter; it can be entertaining to see a young child learning in the kitchen. I also enjoyed seeing Lidia's mother on her show. I could do without all the teenagers on her show and the other shows.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 8:13 am
    Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 8:13 am Post #4 - January 27th, 2023, 8:13 am
    ...and Jose Andres with his daughters, although that's more of a travel food show than a cooking show.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 9:40 am
    Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 9:40 am Post #5 - January 27th, 2023, 9:40 am
    Katie wrote:And Lidia's grandchildren :roll: I see all their names in the credits, so, conspiracy theorist that I am, I've started to suspect it's a way to get them some royalty income, although I don't know if PBS reruns generate much if anything in royalties. I don't mind Jacques Pepín's granddaughter; it can be entertaining to see a young child learning in the kitchen. I also enjoyed seeing Lidia's mother on her show. I could do without all the teenagers on her show and the other shows.

I sensed the teens were part of her pandemic bubble. They were available to help out with the behind-the-camera production issues.

Lidia's daughter has been involved for years, too.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm Post #6 - January 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    Maybe so, but now they're all back at college and we're still watching her Zoom calls with them. Their levels of enthusiasm for this seem to vary.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more