LTH Home

2023 LTH Holiday Party: Hermosa + GooGoo’s Table Family Meal

2023 LTH Holiday Party: Hermosa + GooGoo’s Table Family Meal
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - December 7th, 2023, 11:51 pm
    Post #121 - December 7th, 2023, 11:51 pm Post #121 - December 7th, 2023, 11:51 pm
    This was a true labor of love! I can’t think of a group I’d rather plan a party for.

Thanks so much to Ethan and everyone at Hermosa & GooGoo’s Table who worked so hard tonight. Everything was delicious and service was excellent.

And I’m pretty sure this was the first time I’ve ever been associated with an event, particularly one this size, where everyone made it!! Well done all :)!!

Finally, thanks to Ronnie for continuing to give us all a place to be together in the shared love of all things FOOD!

Hope you all have a great holiday and a very happy New Year!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #122 - December 10th, 2023, 7:51 am
    Post #122 - December 10th, 2023, 7:51 am Post #122 - December 10th, 2023, 7:51 am
    Many thanks to Jen for organizing this outstanding event, to everyone we met for your introductions and kindness, to our fabulous tablemates for sharing delightful conversation and beverages, to Ethan and his family for a meaningful and delicious meal, and to Ronnie, Julie, Elaine, and Frank for our gift bags full of exciting treats! Kevin and I had a blast at our first LTH event, and look forward to future gatherings. Happy Holidays to all! -Shari
  • Post #123 - December 12th, 2023, 11:34 am
    Post #123 - December 12th, 2023, 11:34 am Post #123 - December 12th, 2023, 11:34 am
    Chiming in to echo Shari's comments .... it was the first in-person event for Adnan and me, and we had a wonderful time. The event was well organized, the food was exciting and consistently delicious, and the company welcoming. We're already looking forward to our next event. Thanks to Jen for her hard work in making this a reality.
    Becky
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #124 - December 12th, 2023, 9:00 pm
    Post #124 - December 12th, 2023, 9:00 pm Post #124 - December 12th, 2023, 9:00 pm
    Outstanding meal and great conversation. Joining the chorus of thanks to Jen and Ronnie. I didn't get decent pics of the egg rolls and the fried crab dumplings, but here's everything else:

ImageShrimp cake

ImageSpicy beef chips

ImageCrudite

ImageTuek kroueng

ImagePrahok ktiss

ImageNyorm sach chrouk

ImageSeafood stew

ImageCambodian fried chicken with pickled papaya salad and pickled Thai eggplant

ImageRoasted acorn squash ice cream with cassava cake and salted tamarind caramel
  • Post #125 - December 12th, 2023, 9:37 pm
    Post #125 - December 12th, 2023, 9:37 pm Post #125 - December 12th, 2023, 9:37 pm
    I definitely need to find a recipe for Prahok Ktiss. That and the fish paste (which I didn't love as much) reminded me much of Thai Nam Prik that very few restaurants serve (especially those with Sushi on the sign).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #126 - December 13th, 2023, 4:18 pm
    Post #126 - December 13th, 2023, 4:18 pm Post #126 - December 13th, 2023, 4:18 pm
    It was so nice to see everyone!
    Thanks to Jen especially for all your work getting this organized.
    The printed menu was beautiful and could have been passed out at the start, or simply set at each place. Some English translation would also have been nice - Although I'm a pretty adventurous eater, and tried and enjoyed everything- I had no idea of what we were eating with some of these. :lol:
    Loved the crispy spicy beef chips!
    Great pictures, Joel! thanks for posting.
    Thanks to all and especially for the stunning cutting board!
    Looking forward to the next event!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #127 - December 13th, 2023, 7:55 pm
    Post #127 - December 13th, 2023, 7:55 pm Post #127 - December 13th, 2023, 7:55 pm
    There were so many 'old-timers' at Goose Island Clybourn this night, that I made the better choice. But still, I do want to ask one question about this.
    How was parking? Did everybody get there and back without running into any snags? :lol:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #128 - December 13th, 2023, 9:32 pm
    Post #128 - December 13th, 2023, 9:32 pm Post #128 - December 13th, 2023, 9:32 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: There were so many 'old-timers' at Goose Island Clybourn this night, that I made the better choice. But still, I do want to ask one question about this.
    How was parking? Did everybody get there and back without running into any snags? :lol:

There was a lot of parking on Armitage, but not Kostner, or the side streets (zone sticker required).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #129 - December 13th, 2023, 9:38 pm
    Post #129 - December 13th, 2023, 9:38 pm Post #129 - December 13th, 2023, 9:38 pm
    Hi,

Two weeks before I passed by on a Sunday evening. Every parking space on Armitage was taken. I had this feeling it was no fee Sunday parking. I was right, because on the day of our party, there was plenty of parking if you were willing to feed the meters.

My cost came just short of $10. The cost of a ticket would have been more.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #130 - December 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm
    Post #130 - December 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm Post #130 - December 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm
    irisarbor wrote:Great pictures, Joel! thanks for posting.
    Thanks to all and especially for the stunning cutting board!

That was actually Daniel (MarlaCollins'Husband) who posted the pics and it was lougord99 who made that beautiful cutting board you won in the gift exchange. :)

MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Outstanding meal and great conversation. Joining the chorus of thanks to Jen and Ronnie. I didn't get decent pics of the egg rolls and the fried crab dumplings, but here's everything else:

Echoing Elaine's sentiments above, thanks Dan, for posting those pics. I've been remiss on the images this week -- and you've been an absolute beast! -- but I do have a couple of shots of items you said you didn't have . . .

Egg Rolls

Fried Crab Dumplings

Oh, and one more . . .

Gingerbread House by irisarbor
    Cathy2 won this coveted item this year!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #131 - December 14th, 2023, 12:02 am
    Post #131 - December 14th, 2023, 12:02 am Post #131 - December 14th, 2023, 12:02 am
    irisarbor wrote:The printed menu was beautiful and could have been passed out at the start, or simply set at each place. Some English translation would also have been nice

All the tasting menus I’ve ever had provide the printed menu after the meal—not sure why other than that the server or chef usually describes the dishes as they’re delivered and the menu is meant as a keepsake. The large group made that challenging but we did post the full menu up thread. If there’s anything you’d like translated, I’m sure we can do that. Just let me know.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #132 - December 18th, 2023, 9:08 pm
    Post #132 - December 18th, 2023, 9:08 pm Post #132 - December 18th, 2023, 9:08 pm
    Plenty of free parking on the street south of Armitage: W. Cortland Street. For future reference.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more