LTH Home

LTHforum, the picnic - September 8th

LTHforum, the picnic - September 8th
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 10
  • Post #241 - September 9th, 2007, 7:50 pm
    Post #241 - September 9th, 2007, 7:50 pm Post #241 - September 9th, 2007, 7:50 pm
    I am very sorry to have missed the picnic, especially after seeing the pictures (does that other thread have the caponata recipe?). I was pessimistic about being able to make it, stepkids being the wild cards that they are (not to mention being teenagers, need I say more?)

And there's the fact that I couldn't make the Casa de Isaac get-together and haven't been to any other LTH get-together yet and haven't met any LTHers face to face, so if I had showed up you probably would have considered me a crasher and given me nasty looks any time I tried to sidle up to the food. (Although I certainly wouldn't have come emptyhanded. My best take-to-a-party thing lately is -- please don't laugh -- a cream-cheese-based dip with smoked salmon, chopped chives, and salmon roe. Quite the Irish flag, that's the idea.).

And, what's this, you allow dogs? I wish I'd known! But my lovable little collie puppy, Taylor Fuzzball, is only three months old, so it could have been too long a day for her anyway. Next year, at a year and three months, she's bound to be much more mature and easygoing about hanging out at a day-long picnic with a thousand fantastic food smells.

Guess I'll just have to wait til next year!
  • Post #242 - September 9th, 2007, 8:30 pm
    Post #242 - September 9th, 2007, 8:30 pm Post #242 - September 9th, 2007, 8:30 pm
    Some of us attempted to discourage dogs, unsuccessfully it would appear... I think we're allowing dogs until the first time one bounds off across the field, crown rack of kangaroo in mouth.

Crashers, on the other hand-- no one who shows up dish in hand is a crasher. Probably no one who shows up even without one is really a crasher-- it's not like anyone stood any chance of going underfed.

Ronnie, you'll notice I didn't include a picture of my own pie. The center rose for some reason, and it looked like it was the victim of a gangland execution.

You know what I really liked that I forgot to mention? Besides the cheese table? Beth (bride of Gleam)'s fantastic sorbets. I quizzed her about how she got that smoothy, creamy texture. I have a model to follow now for homemade (sure, I've had plenty in professional places, but you never know if what they're doing is achievable at home).

Also, King's Thursday would like me to show her favorite and most poignant photo from the piñata portion of the afternoon:

And finally, I am remiss in not saying thanks to the Queen of LTHForum Picnicking, the indefatigable Cathy2.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #243 - September 9th, 2007, 9:09 pm
    Post #243 - September 9th, 2007, 9:09 pm Post #243 - September 9th, 2007, 9:09 pm
    Man!

Just had too many things going on that day. :(

Always a great time. Next year!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #244 - September 9th, 2007, 9:44 pm
    Post #244 - September 9th, 2007, 9:44 pm Post #244 - September 9th, 2007, 9:44 pm
    Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this the splendid event it was.

Everything was wonderful, and there were almost too many highlights to name them -- though many have been named already.

One particular delight for me was, having learned everything I know about smoking from GWiv's website, getting to eat chicken smoked by the master.

The people were a delight, too -- talking to them but also just watching them work, creating, unmolding, prepping, heating, carving.

Simply a splendid outing.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #245 - September 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm
    Post #245 - September 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm Post #245 - September 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm
    Mike G wrote:You know what I really liked that I forgot to mention? Besides the cheese table?

The cheese table was one of several miraculous spreads -- much like jazzfood's crab/avocado/hearts of palms, etc. salad -- that appeared out of nowhere and dazzled. Every single fromage that was put out was memorable.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #246 - September 10th, 2007, 2:18 am
    Post #246 - September 10th, 2007, 2:18 am Post #246 - September 10th, 2007, 2:18 am
    Echoing the thanks to all the organizers - a great time.

Rather than re-hash all the great food, I'll just add a list of the foods I'm sorry I missed:

Ronnie Suburban's pate looked incredible, and knowing his skill with all sorts of ground up dead animals, I'm sure it must have been incredibly flavorful.

KennyZ's tomato tartlets -sounds like the perfect seasonal dish.

Gary's smoked chicken - 'nuff said.

mhl's Will Special

Sula's Oaxacan pork in mole

Josephine's beef tenderloin

MHays' lengua

Overall, I know I missed more than I tasted. Can we do it again this coming weekend so I can taste some of these? I promise not to break Lucantonio's frisbee again (it was an accident, really!)

I did enjoy the Mad Hatter IPA brought by Jimthebeerguy, and the Bell's Oberon brought by Josephine.
  • Post #247 - September 10th, 2007, 9:12 am
    Post #247 - September 10th, 2007, 9:12 am Post #247 - September 10th, 2007, 9:12 am
    First let me say, I had a wonderful time. I wish we did more than one of these picnics each year, but that might detract from the special nature of the event.

I especially loved the cheeses that Louisa and Annie brought. I made some great discoveries. The Widmer's 6 year old cheddar was a standout for me, but the heated Mont d'Or was absolute ambrosia. It had that earthy "barnyard funk", associated with some Belgian wild fermented ales, and I could actually taste the flavor of the grass eaten by the cows.

To the list of honorable mentions above, I have to add the prosciutto wrapped figs. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the most delicious.

In case anyone is interested, in the Romanian Kosher Garlic Dogs vs. Romanian Kosher Hot Dogs race, the garlic dogs won by a nose at 36-32.
  • Post #248 - September 10th, 2007, 9:35 am
    Post #248 - September 10th, 2007, 9:35 am Post #248 - September 10th, 2007, 9:35 am
    d4v3 wrote:In case anyone is interested, in the Romanian Kosher Garlic Dogs vs. Romanian Kosher Hot Dogs race, the garlic dogs won by a nose at 36-32.

And in case anyone is interested, either one (or, to be honest, both), even reheated for 30 seconds in a microwave two days after its initial grilling, makes a terrific breakfast.
  • Post #249 - September 10th, 2007, 11:51 am
    Post #249 - September 10th, 2007, 11:51 am Post #249 - September 10th, 2007, 11:51 am
    d4v3 wrote:I especially loved the cheeses that Louisa and Annie brought. I made some great discoveries. The Widmer's 6 year old cheddar was a standout for me, but the heated Mont d'Or was absolute ambrosia. It had that earthy "barnyard funk", associated with some Belgian wild fermented ales, and I could actually taste the flavor of the grass eaten by the cows.

I also loved the cheese spread. The Cocoa Cardona is a previous favorite of mine, but the Mont d'Or was new for me, and I loved it. Since the picnic, I've been reading a little on Mont d'Or, and I think the cows who produce the milk for this cheese don't actually eat much grass. I have to find my re-find my source, but I thought I read that these cows are actually fed cold-weather food--autumn vegetables, hay and grains--which helps to give the cheese its distinctive taste. Thanks Louisa and Annie!
  • Post #250 - September 10th, 2007, 12:02 pm
    Post #250 - September 10th, 2007, 12:02 pm Post #250 - September 10th, 2007, 12:02 pm
    Thank you to everyone who made Saturday, my first LTH picnic, so enjoyable. I hope Rooster wasn't too bothersome--he's very grateful for having been included (and for the parmesan fed to him by the Chu sisters). I'm busy this morning making my co-workers jealous and hungry with all of the picnic photos. :D
  • Post #251 - September 10th, 2007, 12:07 pm
    Post #251 - September 10th, 2007, 12:07 pm Post #251 - September 10th, 2007, 12:07 pm
    happy_stomach wrote: Since the picnic, I've been reading a little on Mont d'Or, and I think the cows who produce the milk for this cheese don't actually eat much grass. I have to find my re-find my source, but I thought I read that these cows are actually fed cold-weather food--autumn vegetables, hay and grains--which helps to give the cheese its distinctive taste.
    Yes, that makes sense. The cheese did have more of a hay-like flavor. Whatever the source, the taste was just amazing. It definitely raised the soft-ripened cheese bar for me. I am grateful I got a chance to taste it.
  • Post #252 - September 10th, 2007, 1:50 pm
    Post #252 - September 10th, 2007, 1:50 pm Post #252 - September 10th, 2007, 1:50 pm
    As we were cleaning up, we discovered that a regulation-sized card table had been left behind. I put it in my trunk which is where it's at right now. If you're the owner, you can post here or PM me.

Hammond
  • Post #253 - September 10th, 2007, 2:13 pm
    Post #253 - September 10th, 2007, 2:13 pm Post #253 - September 10th, 2007, 2:13 pm
    Hi,

It was Kennyz, who will be in contact with you over the table and tablecloth.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #254 - September 10th, 2007, 3:10 pm
    Post #254 - September 10th, 2007, 3:10 pm Post #254 - September 10th, 2007, 3:10 pm
    Sorry to have missed another one. Utterly fantastic.
  • Post #255 - September 10th, 2007, 3:42 pm
    Post #255 - September 10th, 2007, 3:42 pm Post #255 - September 10th, 2007, 3:42 pm
    This picnic looks just as fantastic as last year's. I had bought my plane ticket months ago, but circumstances conspired to keep me at home. Alas.

Kudos to all who make this picnic what it is, especially Cathy.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #256 - September 10th, 2007, 9:26 pm
    Post #256 - September 10th, 2007, 9:26 pm Post #256 - September 10th, 2007, 9:26 pm
    That cheese... wow.. just wow. This is one of those times I wouldn't mind being called a "cheese vulture"... I was hovering around the general area for quite a long while.
  • Post #257 - September 11th, 2007, 8:03 am
    Post #257 - September 11th, 2007, 8:03 am Post #257 - September 11th, 2007, 8:03 am
    My sister Annie and I would like to thank everyone for creating such an absolutely incredible experience. We didn't want it to end - and yes, we wanted to do it again the very next day too.

And it was really our pleasure to share the cheeses and absinthe, because as always it was the sharing that made them that much better.

And yes, it was real absinthe. They were made by my friends and absinthe experts Peter Schaf and David Nathan-Maister at the Emile Pernot Distillery in Pontarlier, France - near the Swiss border. One was a classic green absinthe and the other was infused with hibiscus.

And here's a list of the cheeses - all from Wisconsin except for the one:

SarVecchio Parmesan
    By Sartori Reserve
    Cow Milk

Six-Year Cheddar
    By Widmer’s Cheese Cellars
    Cow Milk

Cocoa Cardona
    By Carr Valley Cheese
    Goat Milk

Mobay
    By Carr Valley Cheese
    Sheep and Goat Milk

Montforte Gorgonzola
    By Wisconsin Farmers Union
    Cow Milk

Roth’s Private Reserve
    By Roth Käse
    Raw Cow Milk

Gran Canaria
    By Carr Valley Cheese
    Cow, Sheep, and Goat Milk

Mascarpone
    By BelGioioso Cheese
    Cow Milk

Vacherin Mont d’Or
    By La Fromagerie des Rousses (Bannans, France)
    Raw Cow Milk

Vacherin Mont d'Or is one of the most legendary cheeses in the world. It's made from the last of summer milk (raw) and then aged for no more than 7 weeks in signature round, covered, spruce-wood boxes. It's a seasonal cheese, available only from October to May. You spoon to eat when ripe. That particular Vacherin was from my Paris neighborhood cheese man, Philippe Langlet, at the Marche Beauveau in the 12th arrondissement. When they're not eaten fresh, they're frozen, then baked and eaten hot - which is just what we did at the picnic, albeit in a Weber Smokey Mountain - and that was purely American. :D
  • Post #258 - September 11th, 2007, 10:23 am
    Post #258 - September 11th, 2007, 10:23 am Post #258 - September 11th, 2007, 10:23 am
    I and the kids had a blast at the picinic. I was so stuffed that I can't believe that there was so much food that I did not try. I wanted to mention a couple that stood out. The pate was fabulous and so were the tomato tartlets. The sorbets were great as well as the icecream sandwiches. I offer the use of my freezer for next year, to freeze them rock hard before taking them to the picnic. The costellas del puerco were fabulous. The chicken tiki was great as well. Next year I will make the zuchini garlic bread with cheese. I am already looking forward to it. I am thinking maybe we could do an apple or pumpkin bash. I could offer my deck to host the event.It was great to meet everybody face to face and apologies to talking some people's ears off.
    Cookie Monster
  • Post #259 - September 11th, 2007, 11:18 am
    Post #259 - September 11th, 2007, 11:18 am Post #259 - September 11th, 2007, 11:18 am
    Mr. X and I had a great time at the picnic. We stuffed ourselves on so much good food that it made it difficult for us to fully participate in the picnic we attended later in the day! Mr. X is already plotting what he might bring to the table next year. Thanks to everyone for their delicious contributions and their hard work in putting it all together, especially to Cathy2!

I will post the rhubarb-custard pie recipe in the other thread with notes on how to improve it. (Note to self: don't attempt to bake pies after dinner and wine!)

-The GP (Mary)
  • Post #260 - September 11th, 2007, 4:41 pm
    Post #260 - September 11th, 2007, 4:41 pm Post #260 - September 11th, 2007, 4:41 pm
    Cookie Monster wrote: The sorbets were great as well as the icecream sandwiches. I offer the use of my freezer for next year, to freeze them rock hard before taking them to the picnic.

No way, José; I know those ice cream sandwiches have no chance of making it to the picnic next year if they're in your freezer. It just wouldn't be safe, due to your username. We need to keep them in my freezer, for safekeeping. Now, if people needed to store pizza and beer in my fridge for the picnic, then they could worry... :wink:
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #261 - September 11th, 2007, 5:22 pm
    Post #261 - September 11th, 2007, 5:22 pm Post #261 - September 11th, 2007, 5:22 pm
    Cookie Monster wrote: The sorbets were great as well as the icecream sandwiches. I offer the use of my freezer for next year, to freeze them rock hard before taking them to the picnic.

Thanks. We had plenty of room. It's time that we ran short of.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #262 - September 11th, 2007, 6:50 pm
    Post #262 - September 11th, 2007, 6:50 pm Post #262 - September 11th, 2007, 6:50 pm
    eatchicago wrote:

Thanks. We had plenty of room. It's time that we ran short of.

Best,
    Michael

I think that stocking the cooler with dry ice would probably keep the ice cream more solid for a longer period of time. Of course, with dry ice around, there are safety issues -- especially with kids reaching into the cooler.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #263 - September 11th, 2007, 6:58 pm
    Post #263 - September 11th, 2007, 6:58 pm Post #263 - September 11th, 2007, 6:58 pm
    The cooler was stocked with dry ice, tons of it, but it didn't seem to help much, sadly.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #264 - September 11th, 2007, 7:07 pm
    Post #264 - September 11th, 2007, 7:07 pm Post #264 - September 11th, 2007, 7:07 pm
    gleam wrote:The cooler was stocked with dry ice, tons of it, but it didn't seem to help much, sadly.

Wow! It was all gone by the time I looked in there but that was pretty late in the day. Bummer.

=R=
  • Post #265 - September 11th, 2007, 7:10 pm
    Post #265 - September 11th, 2007, 7:10 pm Post #265 - September 11th, 2007, 7:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    gleam wrote:The cooler was stocked with dry ice, tons of it, but it didn't seem to help much, sadly.

Wow! It was all gone by the time I looked in there but that was pretty late in the day. Bummer.

=R=

No, it was all there, along the bottom. Each cooler had 10lbs. of dry ice in it. I melted nearly all of it when I got home.

I've done this before and what we did wrong was simply a matter of not letting the sandwiches set up in the freezer long enough before-hand. It was a bit of a rush-job, and the coolers outside in the heat, constantly opening and closing--dry ice couldn't save the day.

Also, it makes more sense to have the dry ice on top, but that makes the ice cream rather difficult to get to.
  • Post #266 - September 11th, 2007, 9:28 pm
    Post #266 - September 11th, 2007, 9:28 pm Post #266 - September 11th, 2007, 9:28 pm
    eatchicago wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

No, it was all there, along the bottom. Each cooler had 10lbs. of dry ice in it. I melted nearly all of it when I got home.

I've done this before and what we did wrong was simply a matter of not letting the sandwiches set up in the freezer long enough before-hand. It was a bit of a rush-job, and the coolers outside in the heat, constantly opening and closing--dry ice couldn't save the day.

Also, it makes more sense to have the dry ice on top, but that makes the ice cream rather difficult to get to.

That's really too bad, except for the fact that they were absolutely delicious, regardless.

Maybe a longer set-up time plus dry ice plus less head space in the cooler could make a difference. A friend of mine serves ice cream cups that way at his annual summer picnic and the cups are always rock hard when taken from the cooler, even in very hot conditions. I'll ask him if he does anything else before he goes remote with them.

=R=
  • Post #267 - September 12th, 2007, 7:59 am
    Post #267 - September 12th, 2007, 7:59 am Post #267 - September 12th, 2007, 7:59 am
    As somebody who prefers their ice cream half-melted and who got there late, I had no problem at all with my superbly runny ice cream sandwich. I don't like them when they're hard, and if that means creme anglaise with cookies, I'm down with that. Do what you have to next year, Michael, but those were good. (not that anyone is implying otherwise)
  • Post #268 - September 12th, 2007, 12:00 pm
    Post #268 - September 12th, 2007, 12:00 pm Post #268 - September 12th, 2007, 12:00 pm
    I had a wonderful time on Saturday but was nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes. We weren't the only ones enjoying ourselves.

Just barely overheard near the end of the picnic:

"That was like the world's best buffet. So many to choose from."

"My favorite was the one in the blue shirt with the ponytail. I had 5 or 6 helpings. Tasted like he was marinated in absinthe, beer and God knows what else."

"Yeah, I think I got a little buzzed. My proboscis is sore, I jammed it into him so many times."

"Did you try the large guy in black?"

"Sure did! He tasted like the other white meat. Pure porky goodness."

"A little too smoky for me, but to each her own."

"There were so many I don't think I was able to try half."

"I know what you mean. I can't wait for next year. I'm bringing the whole brood."
  • Post #269 - September 15th, 2007, 9:18 am
    Post #269 - September 15th, 2007, 9:18 am Post #269 - September 15th, 2007, 9:18 am
    We were talking at the Picnic about the seminal effect of Paul Butterfield's Blues Band on American RnR and how they are a US analog of the Rolling Stones because McJagger is 2 days older than Mike Bloomfield --

Well please pm me because Scorcese is releasing Shine which is RStones affiliated at the end of the month -- I've got a lot of research you & UC Development Office might find useful

SGFoxe
  • Post #270 - September 16th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Post #270 - September 16th, 2007, 7:56 pm Post #270 - September 16th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Another two items for Lost and Found:

- Red tablecloth
    - Serrated knife

Please post here or pm me if you're missing either of these two items.

Hammond

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more