LTH Home

LTHForum 1,000-Recipe Potluck, June 22, Pilsen

LTHForum 1,000-Recipe Potluck, June 22, Pilsen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 8
  • Post #91 - June 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm
    Post #91 - June 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm Post #91 - June 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm
    stevez wrote:I am only bringing one dish. The Chow Poodle will not be attending.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the mac and cheese. I presume you will need some oven time.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #92 - June 18th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    Post #92 - June 18th, 2008, 2:25 pm Post #92 - June 18th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    Plan B: Beth from Green Acres explained that the sorrel has been completely picked over in the last few weeks, and although it'll be back again soon, it won't be in time for me to make the sorrel ice cream this weekend. So, staying local with Greean Acres Farm produce, I'll instead go with a tried and true recipe that I made a few weeks ago: Peppermint/ Red Fire Chip ice cream. Recipe to follow shortly.

kenny- farmer vicky (genesis growers) is supposed to have sorrell at green city market, if you could make it down there saturday. (according to the weekly green city email i received yesterday). justjoan
  • Post #93 - June 18th, 2008, 2:30 pm
    Post #93 - June 18th, 2008, 2:30 pm Post #93 - June 18th, 2008, 2:30 pm
    I saw sorrel last Saturday at Henry's Farm stand at Evanston Farmers' Market, too.
  • Post #94 - June 18th, 2008, 2:34 pm
    Post #94 - June 18th, 2008, 2:34 pm Post #94 - June 18th, 2008, 2:34 pm
    I haven't figured out how to post recipes, but once I do, I plan on bringing a yogurt panna cotta. (And I'm bringing two guests!)

I think with El Panzone's cancellation and stevez coming solo, we can squeeze you in. Plus, I really like panna cotta! As Cathy2 stated, your guests will also need to contribute something to the eating. Bread?

Oven/Stove Needs:
    These are the people who have claimed oven/stove time:
    aschie - oven (low)
    figmolly - stovetop
    gastro gnome - stovetop
    LAZ - oven
    ronnie suburban - oven
    stevez - oven
    Giovanna - stove (plenty of room)
    Mhays - oven
    nr706 - oven?
    Cynthia - oven?

These are people I assumme will need some time, please let me know which method:
    Ann F.
    helen

If I missed anyone, please let me know. As is, we should have plenty of room as long as we can agree on a 350 oven temp (we have two so we could do two different temps).
    Last edited by figmolly on June 19th, 2008, 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
    FIG Catering, For Intimate Gatherings
    Our website
    Our blog
    molly@FIGcatering.com
  • Post #95 - June 18th, 2008, 2:39 pm
    Post #95 - June 18th, 2008, 2:39 pm Post #95 - June 18th, 2008, 2:39 pm
    I always bring more food that I say I'm going to, so I'll bring something(s) beyond the aforementioned meatballs. But in addition to that, I'll also bring some leftover containers for everyone to use after the event. That should cover me and my 2 barnacles. :lol:

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #96 - June 18th, 2008, 2:40 pm
    Post #96 - June 18th, 2008, 2:40 pm Post #96 - June 18th, 2008, 2:40 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I always bring more food that I say I'm going to, so I'll bring something(s) beyond the aforementioned meatballs. But in addition to that, I'll also bring some leftover containers for everyone to use after the event. That should cover me and my 2 barnacles. :lol:

=R=

Ron,

You are always more than generous!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #97 - June 18th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    Post #97 - June 18th, 2008, 2:50 pm Post #97 - June 18th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    figmolly wrote:These are people I assumme will need some time, please let me know which method:
    [ . . . ]
    aschie
    [ . . . ]
    As is, we should have plenty of room as long as we can agree on a 350 oven temp (we have two so we could do two different temps).

Mine is a braise, which I plan to make and keep in my oven in West Town prior to the event, and it will be out of the oven only during the time it will take me to get to Pilsen (10 minutes). If it's not served immediately (which it likely won't be), then I will need oven time. I prefer a lower temp just to keep it warm, but 350 will do as well.
  • Post #98 - June 18th, 2008, 2:51 pm
    Post #98 - June 18th, 2008, 2:51 pm Post #98 - June 18th, 2008, 2:51 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    stevez wrote:I am only bringing one dish. The Chow Poodle will not be attending.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the mac and cheese. I presume you will need some oven time.

Regards,

Yes. I need oven time and I've already emailed with figmolly about that.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #99 - June 18th, 2008, 4:02 pm
    Post #99 - June 18th, 2008, 4:02 pm Post #99 - June 18th, 2008, 4:02 pm
    justjoan wrote:kenny- farmer vicky (genesis growers) is supposed to have sorrell at green city market, if you could make it down there saturday. (according to the weekly green city email i received yesterday). justjoan

nr706 wrote:I saw sorrel last Saturday at Henry's Farm stand at Evanston Farmers' Market, too.

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, I have lots of stuff going on later this week, so really need to get the ice cream started before Saturday. I saw lots of sorrel last week, and was overly optimistic in counting on it being available today at Green City. Oh well, the fresh mint was beautiful, so we'll go with that. Maybe sorrel ice cream for the picnic.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #100 - June 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm
    Post #100 - June 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm Post #100 - June 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm
    I was going to go the stovetop route rather than the baking route unless the day is quite cool; since I'm planning to be early-ish to help set up, I think I'll let the beans simmer slowly on the stove-top [in a dutch oven] once I get there. Or, if there's more room in the oven, I'll put 'em in there. YOU tell ME which is going to work better for the FIGs. Me and the dutch oven - we're flexible.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #101 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm
    Post #101 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm Post #101 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm
    I'm going pop shopping for this event tomorrow or Friday. I plan to get a good assortment, with a special nod to Coke Classic as requested by Cathy2 and LAZ.

In appreciation for all of the thought and hard work being put into this event by others, I'd be happy :D to accommodate any other requests with regard to preferences and/or dietary requirements, eg, diet, non-caffeinated, non-cola, etc. Just let me know!

Signed--the person with the easiest task for this event just because my stove is out of commission!
    Last edited by tarte tatin on June 18th, 2008, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #102 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm
    Post #102 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm Post #102 - June 18th, 2008, 6:19 pm
    LTH,

My shipment of Moose Nose, ordered from Moose, Mallard and Mountain in Fairbanks, is not going to arrive in time for the Potluck, so, after a telephonic consultation with Cathy2, Ellen and I will be bringing Crrush's DYI Cancha and Bridgestone's Laxpudding.

See you all Sunday.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #103 - June 18th, 2008, 9:08 pm
    Post #103 - June 18th, 2008, 9:08 pm Post #103 - June 18th, 2008, 9:08 pm
    Yes, indeed, I will take a bit of oven time for the meatloaf (the beans will come in a crock-pot and could use an electrical outlet but the crock should hold the heat just fine on its own) I will par-cook it, and bring it in a cooler, so I shouldn't need a lot of time. I will bring the masala sauce in a thermos, so that should cover me.

The 'spouse and I will be happy to help with cleanup - I don't know that we'll be there early: we have sitter arrangements, etc. - but if we are, feel free to put us to work then as well! :D

Ronnie, should I also bring some leftover containers, or do you think you've got us covered? And G - I fully expect to be invited for moose nose when the occasion arises. :D :twisted: I told Sparky we'd be eating Kangaroo and Moose while he's on his sleepover, and now am faced with recanting.
  • Post #104 - June 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm
    Post #104 - June 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm Post #104 - June 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm
    MHays,

Tell Sparky there will be a raccoon cooked at the picnic this year. That might help keep his friends on their toes.

You may as well bring extra containers, because one just never knows.

Helen's rice maker has the capacity to make 10 cups rice in 30 minutes. She may have a 2nd rice maker of the same capacity, though she wasn't 100% sure. If she doesn't or cannot find it, then she can make one batch and keep it warm while making the 2nd.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #105 - June 18th, 2008, 9:25 pm
    Post #105 - June 18th, 2008, 9:25 pm Post #105 - June 18th, 2008, 9:25 pm
    I'll be making Chilaquiles en Cazuela (Mexican Tortilla Casserole) and the wife will be bringing Spicy Cucumbers (just posted). See you all Sunday.
    Sal G
    Chi cerca trova.
  • Post #106 - June 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm
    Post #106 - June 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm Post #106 - June 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm
    figmolly wrote:
    These are people I assumme will need some time, please let me know which method:

Cynthia

I will be baking the casserole before coming, so it should still be fairly warm -- though it will be about an hour drive. So perhaps a few minutes in the oven or on the stove to warm it up.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #107 - June 18th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Post #107 - June 18th, 2008, 9:48 pm Post #107 - June 18th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Cynthia wrote:
    figmolly wrote:

Cynthia

I will be baking the casserole before coming, so it should still be fairly warm -- though it will be about an hour drive. So perhaps a few minutes in the oven or on the stove to warm it up.

I wrap the casserole in foil, then several bath towels. Alternatively, if your casserole can fit into the cooler, then preheat the cooler with hot water. Remove the hot water, towel dry, then lay your wrapped casserole in there. Any air spaces fill with crumpled newspaper. I have been very impressed how long a cooler once properly heated can keep food warm.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #108 - June 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm
    Post #108 - June 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm Post #108 - June 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm
    I'll be bringing the kangaroo in an electric roaster, which retains heat pretty well ... an oven might be nice to heat it up a bit, but an electrical outlet might work just as well, if you're short of oven space.
  • Post #109 - June 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm
    Post #109 - June 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm Post #109 - June 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm
    Mhays wrote:Ronnie, should I also bring some leftover containers, or do you think you've got us covered?

I just counted my stash and I have at least 70 foam, clamshell-type containers, so I think that should cover us.

In addition to the meatballs and the leftover containers, it looks like I'll be bringing some sort of dip (probably cold) because my son wants to help make something. We haven't decided yet if we'll be making one of our recipes or someone else's but I'll post either way, once we decide. I'll probably also bring some bubbly water. There may be more . . . not sure yet 8)

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #110 - June 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    Post #110 - June 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm Post #110 - June 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    I won't need a stove for the sandwiches if I make it - I can toast and assemble in advance and bring under foil. They're tasty at room temperature as well. I promised LAZ and Cathy to post ASAP if this work event which is taking place simultaneously on Sunday is going to prevent my timely arrival at FIG, especially since we're in waitlist territory. I'll update tomorrow with final word.
  • Post #111 - June 18th, 2008, 11:58 pm
    Post #111 - June 18th, 2008, 11:58 pm Post #111 - June 18th, 2008, 11:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'll probably also bring some bubbly water.
    We have a case of Pellegrino already.

Kennyz wrote:do we really need to have 50+ dishes?
    To quote somebody or other, "Nothing says excess like excess." This is the 1,000-recipe party, after all. :D
  • Post #112 - June 19th, 2008, 2:47 am
    Post #112 - June 19th, 2008, 2:47 am Post #112 - June 19th, 2008, 2:47 am
    Here's the latest update.

LTHForum 1,000-Recipe Potluck roster

This event is full and waitlisted.

Ann Fisher 1 Millionaire chicken
    aschie30 1 YourPalWill's conchita pibil and veggies {oven}
    *Cathy2 1 Rich 4's summer lemon soda, extramsg's brine method for homemade pastrami and garlic-scape pesto
    Cynthia 1 Nubian okra casserole {oven}
    Cookie Monster 1 Bruce's butter cookie dough cobbler (blueberry peach)
    David Hammond+1 2 Gravlax and mustard
    EaterLover+1 2 Panna cotta
    figjustin+figmolly 2 sazerac's meen moilee and G Wiv's Peruvian spicy dip {stove}
    G Wiv+Ellen 2 crrush's cancha and Bridgestone's laxpudding
    *gastro gnome+1 2 Molly Stevens' butter-glazed radishes and LAZ's Derby Day salad {stove}
    *Giovanna 1 Keri's hog-apple baked beans {stove}
    GreenFish+1 (& baby) 2 LAZ's Moroccan sweet carrot slaw and soft drinks
    helen+felix 2 Triple-cooked pork belly with preserved mustard and rice
    jazzfood+Vikki 2 Erzsi's haluska and JoelF's wasabi deviled eggs
    jsv+1 2 Lella's pimento cheese and Bruce's olive salsa
    justjoan 1 Marcella Hazan's panzanella or EvA's hazelnut torte?
    jygach 1 Ramon's goi ga and red velvet cake with beets
    Kennyz+1 2 Peppermint-Red Fire chip ice cream and eatchicago-inspired pissaladiere
    *LAZ+RheS+1 3 City ham with Cathy2's glaze and waderoberts' hominy casserole {oven}
    Mhays+1 2 Food desert Moros y Cristianos and meatloaf with masala curry sauce
    mhl 1 Ice
    nr706 1 Crown roast of kangaroo
    Octarine+2 3 TBA
    Rene G 1 TBA
    ronnie_suburban+2 3 Bridgestone's Swedish meatballs and supplies {oven}
    Santander 1 Bocadillo cantabrico?
    stevez+1 2 trixie-pea's mac and cheese {oven}
    tarte tatin 1 Soft drinks
    Terrasini+1 2 JeffB's chilaquiles en cazuela and spicy cucumber
    thaiobsessed 1 JoelF's nuea naam tok
    wustlmike+1 2 TBA

Total 50

Waitlist:
    Guest of Eaterlover 1

If your name is in red, please decide on a dish; if your name is in green, please post your recipe. Everyone, if you will need stove or oven time, please let us know.

Also, if you are able to come early and help set up, please volunteer.

*Set-up crew: Cathy2, gastro gnome, Giovanna, LAZ, RheS
    Last edited by LAZ on June 19th, 2008, 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #113 - June 19th, 2008, 4:00 am
    Post #113 - June 19th, 2008, 4:00 am Post #113 - June 19th, 2008, 4:00 am
    Mhays wrote: I will bring the masala sauce in a thermos, so that should cover me.

That is an interesting approach. Once covered in sauce, do you do the meatloaf dance? :wink:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #114 - June 19th, 2008, 5:41 am
    Post #114 - June 19th, 2008, 5:41 am Post #114 - June 19th, 2008, 5:41 am
    stevez wrote:Once covered in sauce, do you do the meatloaf dance? :wink:
    Doesn't that require a group, Like this? (click "yes" to play) :D
  • Post #115 - June 19th, 2008, 6:52 am
    Post #115 - June 19th, 2008, 6:52 am Post #115 - June 19th, 2008, 6:52 am
    :roll: :lol: Only on LTH Forum, folks...
  • Post #116 - June 19th, 2008, 8:17 am
    Post #116 - June 19th, 2008, 8:17 am Post #116 - June 19th, 2008, 8:17 am
    Waitlist:
    Guest of Eaterlover 1

I don't think we'll have a problem accomodating Eaterlover's other guest - I don't want to leave one of the party out.

Based on my updated oven/stove schedule it looks like things will work well. We can keep one oven at 350-375 and the other at a warming temp (250) and fit everyone in.

Cheers---
    FIG Catering, For Intimate Gatherings
    Our website
    Our blog
    molly@FIGcatering.com
  • Post #117 - June 19th, 2008, 9:09 am
    Post #117 - June 19th, 2008, 9:09 am Post #117 - June 19th, 2008, 9:09 am
    In addition to the mint/red fire chip ice cream, I'll be making a modified version of eatchicago's Pissaladière. Instead of Martha's pizza crust, I'll be making homemade puff pastry (if my air conditioning doesn't break as it usually does when I try to do this. You really can't make puff pastry without AC.), and serving the Pissaladière as mini-tarts. I'll use eatchicago's topping recipe, except along with the onions I'll caramelize some of the beautiful spring fennel that Nichols Farm has been carrying. This will be just fine at room temperature, so no need for oven time.

Here's the ice cream recipe:

- Heavy cream and whole milk at a 2:1 ratio (I'm using Traderspoint Creamery milk)
    - 5 fresh, local egg yolks for each quart of liquid
    - 3/4 cup of sugar for each quart of liquid
    - as many fresh peppermint leaves as you can possibly add to the pot, roughly torn
    - 3/4 of a Vosges Chocolate Red Fire bar for each quart of liquid, choppped

Low-simmer cream, milk, and mint together on the stove covered for about an hour. Turn off flame and let steep for a few hours. Strain, being sure to press hard on the leaves to extract every bit of oils and flavors. Return to stove.

Beat egg yolks until pale. Temper the yolks by adding a little warm cream at a time, then pour yolks into the pot and combine well. Heat this custard slowly, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon. Strain again, just in case you were drinking and rushed the egg tempering, in which case you may have little bits of scrambled yolk to get rid of. (ahem, not that this has ever happened to me)

Chill the custard until cold, then process in ice cream machine per manufacturer's directions. A minute or two before the churning is done, add the red fire chips.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #118 - June 19th, 2008, 9:35 am
    Post #118 - June 19th, 2008, 9:35 am Post #118 - June 19th, 2008, 9:35 am
    Yes! I barely squeaked in! I am planning on bringing a simple Panna Cotta, but I haven't figured out the sauce yet (hopefully, I'll be blinded by inspiration on Sunday). I believe I can coerce my guest into bringing some cups or plates. (whatever is needed)

My Panna Cotta Recipe

1 1/2 cups of yogurt
    1 cup of cream
    2 tsp of gelatin
    1/4 cup of sugar

*sprinkle gelatin in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water
    *bring cream and sugar to simmer, dissolve sugar
    * add gelatin mixture until dissolved
    * add yogurt
    Eaterlover eats at writes at bicurean.com
  • Post #119 - June 19th, 2008, 11:11 am
    Post #119 - June 19th, 2008, 11:11 am Post #119 - June 19th, 2008, 11:11 am
    Hard to resist not doing something of my own, but as informed by GWiv "that's not in the spirit of this, Alan". So, 1000 recipes later... I've opted to bring for myself and my +1 (sister Vikki) Hungarian Haluska - Sauteed Cabbage and Onions with Egg Noodles ala Erzsi and Wasabi Deviled Eggs with Sesame Seeds and Pickled Ginger ala Joel F.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #120 - June 20th, 2008, 12:19 am
    Post #120 - June 20th, 2008, 12:19 am Post #120 - June 20th, 2008, 12:19 am
    Someone mentioned volunteers... any chance of getting on the list if we work for it? Just curious... :D

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more