LTH Vegetarian Small Household Dinner Exchange - Dec 14
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • LTH Vegetarian Small Household Dinner Exchange - Dec 14

Post #1 - November 7th, 2009, 9:04 pm
    Post #1 - November 7th, 2009, 9:04 pm Post #1 - November 7th, 2009, 9:04 pm
    Location: Paprika Indian Restaurant, 2547A W. Lawrence, Chicago
    Date: Monday, December 14 at 7 pm
    We'll cap dinner at 10 (preference given to exchange participants)

Participants:
    lemoneater (+1 for dinner): Indian red beans
    veghound: Thai-curry squash soup
    pairs4life (+2 for dinner): White House greens and sweet potatoes
    ecs (+1 for dinner): Beans & greens chili and cornbread

Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 10 so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples will be counted as one serving.

The food: There are great omnivore dinner and dessert exchanges that happens monthly. This is for people interested in doing a vegetarian dinner exchange (without meat, meat stock etc, but can include eggs and dairy). We make 5-10 servings of one dish, and bring back 5-10 different dishes. Participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for everyone who has RSVP’d to come that month. A serving is whatever you think it is for your food item. The priority will be for entrees, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc.

There's a preference for healthy dishes, one no-wheat eater, one veg Atkins. If your dish has wheat or carbs, it can be included, but just inform the group in your post.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the Gladware 3 1/8 cup plastic containers (it’s the approximately 7” x 7” square). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. There is no need to fill the container, just put in whatever is a serving to you. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange and doesn’t have to run out and buy more.

The process:

Each of us will take turns being the organizer each month. Each time we meet, someone will offer to organize the next month’s gathering.

Approximately two weeks before the next gathering, the organizer will post a new thread to the events page announcing the date and the location for that month and asking for RSVP’s.

Participants will need to RSVP their attendance by one week before the monthly gathering. They will then need to post what they are bringing by three days before the gathering. This is to help make sure we get some balance in the food so that we’re not all bringing something that has to be eaten in the next 2-3 days; that there’s a balance of stuff that can be frozen for later, or eaten sooner.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering. People can choose to stay for dinner or just come and exchange food and leave. Just let the organizer know so they can get an accurate count for the reservation. Other LTHers are welcome to join us for dinner, even if they are not bringing food to exchange.
    Last edited by lemoneater on December 13th, 2009, 7:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
  • Post #2 - November 8th, 2009, 7:57 am
    Post #2 - November 8th, 2009, 7:57 am Post #2 - November 8th, 2009, 7:57 am
    We might be interested. I cook mostly vegetarian now, due to medical restrictions, and it would be nice to have a wider variety of dishes than my current repertoire. One caveat, though: we don't eat white flour either. Pasta is out for us.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #3 - November 8th, 2009, 9:22 am
    Post #3 - November 8th, 2009, 9:22 am Post #3 - November 8th, 2009, 9:22 am
    I think I'd be interested. We are not vegetarian, but we are trying to eat less meat, and I am looking to expand my repertoire. And I'm sure that the best way to do that is to find out what delicious vegetarian food other people are cooking!

My one caveat would be that we are trying to do this for health reasons, so I would be less likely to participate going forward if every dish was loaded with cheese and cream, etc. (I was a partial vegetarian for a couple of years in my youth, but we mainly cooked from Moosewood, which was delicious, but hardly low calorie.)

That said, I adore cheese, cream and butter and would eat anything people brought. I'm getting hungry just thinking about this.
  • Post #4 - November 8th, 2009, 9:37 am
    Post #4 - November 8th, 2009, 9:37 am Post #4 - November 8th, 2009, 9:37 am
    Great! How does everyone think we should handle the additional food restrictions? In the other dinner exchange, there's a mushroom allergy, so if people choose to use mushrooms they just need to label it. I'm guessing most of us are post-Moosewood, and aren't going to put two pounds of cheese in every dish.

What dates would work?
    "To get long" meant to make do, to make well of whatever we had; it was about having a long view, which was endurance, and a long heart, which was hope.
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #5 - November 8th, 2009, 5:12 pm
    Post #5 - November 8th, 2009, 5:12 pm Post #5 - November 8th, 2009, 5:12 pm
    Probably a Monday, so that people can cook on Sunday. I am flexible any Monday except Dec. 7.

Do we have more interest? If it gets started, will people come?
  • Post #6 - November 9th, 2009, 10:17 pm
    Post #6 - November 9th, 2009, 10:17 pm Post #6 - November 9th, 2009, 10:17 pm
    Ok, Monday it is. I'm game with the people we have now, and hopefully more will join in the future. What about Monday, November 23, 7 pm meeting at Spoon Thai, 4608 N. Western in Chicago?
    "To get long" meant to make do, to make well of whatever we had; it was about having a long view, which was endurance, and a long heart, which was hope.
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #7 - November 10th, 2009, 9:42 am
    Post #7 - November 10th, 2009, 9:42 am Post #7 - November 10th, 2009, 9:42 am
    lemoneater-

I'd recommend starting a new thread with the name of the exchange and date in the subject (along with the LTH logo attached to the event.) Easier to find and thus easier to attract people.

-Mary
    -Mary
  • Post #8 - November 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm
    Post #8 - November 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm Post #8 - November 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm
    HI,

Rather than start a new thread, simply retitle it with the date and time. Everyone will understand this is a new effort.

I'm pretty thrilled with the goodies I brought home last night from the other exchange. I wish you all the best in tasty vegetarian food.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #9 - November 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm
    Post #9 - November 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm Post #9 - November 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm
    I've set up the new thread name, and picked a time and place - but since this is brand-new, let me know if we need to change either to make it work this month!
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #10 - November 13th, 2009, 9:21 am
    Post #10 - November 13th, 2009, 9:21 am Post #10 - November 13th, 2009, 9:21 am
    I am still interested in participating, but I think the 23rd won't work for me, as we will either have departed for Texas that day or early the next. December is looking better, so can I throw my hat in for that month?

Also, will there be a list of dishes exchanged? I'd like to make sure I don't replicate something.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #11 - November 13th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Post #11 - November 13th, 2009, 11:09 am Post #11 - November 13th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Ok, I'll change it to mid December, same place. People post what they're bringing about 3 days before the event, so we can all coordinate.
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #12 - November 18th, 2009, 10:45 am
    Post #12 - November 18th, 2009, 10:45 am Post #12 - November 18th, 2009, 10:45 am
    Just a note that this is now the same date as the non-vegetarian Small Household Dinner Exchange. That may not matter, but it might.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #13 - December 7th, 2009, 10:11 am
    Post #13 - December 7th, 2009, 10:11 am Post #13 - December 7th, 2009, 10:11 am
    Is this event going forward? If so, I'd like to participate. :D
  • Post #14 - December 7th, 2009, 5:33 pm
    Post #14 - December 7th, 2009, 5:33 pm Post #14 - December 7th, 2009, 5:33 pm
    veghound wrote:Is this event going forward? If so, I'd like to participate. :D

Maybe it's the holiday season, but there hasn't been much response this month - just me confirmed so far. We could go forward or wait until January. What do you think?
  • Post #15 - December 7th, 2009, 9:23 pm
    Post #15 - December 7th, 2009, 9:23 pm Post #15 - December 7th, 2009, 9:23 pm
    lemoneater wrote:
    veghound wrote:Is this event going forward? If so, I'd like to participate. :D

Maybe it's the holiday season, but there hasn't been much response this month - just me confirmed so far. We could go forward or wait until January. What do you think?

So where is it & when is it? I've got additional dietary restrictions so this could be useful for me. Essentially, I'm on a vegan version of Atkins courtesy of my sister the D.C. b/c of some health challenges. So greens & beans are really a good idea for me & eggs are fine.

This year or next is fine for me. It could give me a chance to crack open more from my new Moosewood cookbook that I snagged at the Gastroextravaganzathon last Saturday :D
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #16 - December 8th, 2009, 9:05 am
    Post #16 - December 8th, 2009, 9:05 am Post #16 - December 8th, 2009, 9:05 am
    I am interested in the vegetarian exchange, if it is still happening on Monday (12/14). Also, if it is alright, just me for the exchange, but I'll bring my 15 month old along for dinner. No clue what I will be making yet...
  • Post #17 - December 8th, 2009, 9:09 am
    Post #17 - December 8th, 2009, 9:09 am Post #17 - December 8th, 2009, 9:09 am
    Great! We're on! ecs, kids are welcome.

See the very first post for details on when, where and how. If we could post our dishes by Friday, that would be great. :mrgreen:
  • Post #18 - December 8th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Post #18 - December 8th, 2009, 9:41 am Post #18 - December 8th, 2009, 9:41 am
    I will make a vegan chili that is tomato based and has several types of beans as well as greens and other veggies. I will also make some cornbread to go along the side. Anyone who is off flour can skip it or pass it along to someone who may want it. I am very excited for my first LTH event. ~Eliza
  • Post #19 - December 8th, 2009, 2:21 pm
    Post #19 - December 8th, 2009, 2:21 pm Post #19 - December 8th, 2009, 2:21 pm
    I'll bring a Thai-curry squash soup. Looking forward to it!
  • Post #20 - December 8th, 2009, 7:19 pm
    Post #20 - December 8th, 2009, 7:19 pm Post #20 - December 8th, 2009, 7:19 pm
    Hmmm, I leaning toward White House Personal Chef's Greens & Sweet Potatoes. I made this a couple of weeks ago & really enjoyed it.

Do we post recipes or something so that there is a catalog for the group to use in the future?
    Last edited by pairs4life on December 9th, 2009, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #21 - December 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm
    Post #21 - December 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm Post #21 - December 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm
    I'm thinking Turkish Lentil Soup from The Smallest Kitchen blog. Here's the recipe: http://thesmallestkitchen.wordpress.com ... ntil-soup/

I think it would be nice to post recipes - good idea, pairs4life!

Is anyone bringing a dinner guest? I'll call the restaurant to RSVP.

By the way, the non-wheat and non-fat preferring folks haven't RSVPed this month, in case you were looking at those types of recipes.
  • Post #22 - December 9th, 2009, 8:58 pm
    Post #22 - December 9th, 2009, 8:58 pm Post #22 - December 9th, 2009, 8:58 pm
    lemoneater wrote:
    By the way, the non-wheat and non-fat preferring folks haven't RSVPed this month, in case you were looking at those types of recipes.

Fat is okay for me but wheat, dairy, & sugar are not preferred for me right now. My sister's orders :x
    Last edited by pairs4life on December 13th, 2009, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Post #23 - December 10th, 2009, 11:46 am
    Post #23 - December 10th, 2009, 11:46 am Post #23 - December 10th, 2009, 11:46 am
    lemoneater wrote:I'm thinking Turkish Lentil Soup from The Smallest Kitchen blog.

So that didn't turn out so hot... instead I'm making Indian red beans (vegan)
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #24 - December 12th, 2009, 9:34 pm
    Post #24 - December 12th, 2009, 9:34 pm Post #24 - December 12th, 2009, 9:34 pm
    @lemoneater you are hilarious. Alistair will join us for dinner.

• Post #25 - December 13th, 2009, 8:21 pm
    Post #25 - December 13th, 2009, 8:21 pm Post #25 - December 13th, 2009, 8:21 pm
    I am sorry to miss this and will hope to join in January; things have gotten crazy at work and I can't get away, unfortunately. Everything sounds delicious. Have a great time.
  • Post #26 - December 15th, 2009, 8:28 am
    Post #26 - December 15th, 2009, 8:28 am Post #26 - December 15th, 2009, 8:28 am
    Thanks so much lemoneater for starting up this exchange! It was so nice meeting everyone last night and I cannot wait to try your cooking. I almost took a little sample of each last night before putting it in the fridge, but resisted :)

I am already looking forward to the next exchange. I am thinking about playing around with something involving stuffed grape leaves...
  • Post #27 - December 15th, 2009, 4:29 pm
    Post #27 - December 15th, 2009, 4:29 pm Post #27 - December 15th, 2009, 4:29 pm
    Ditto what ecs said ( but I didn't mean I would bring a vegetable roll dish since ecs is already on it). I had a great time last night as well. It was great taking food home & realizing I could freeze some for later (2 more meals out this week already scheduled).

See everyone v.v. soon & happy New Year!
    Last edited by pairs4life on December 15th, 2009, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #28 - December 15th, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Post #28 - December 15th, 2009, 4:41 pm Post #28 - December 15th, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Hi,

I understand someone from the small household group arrived to your dinner. Fortunately, they found their way back to us.

You may want to meet at Uru Swati next time, because it is exclusively vegetarian.

Glad it all worked out for all of you.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #29 - December 15th, 2009, 5:17 pm
    Post #29 - December 15th, 2009, 5:17 pm Post #29 - December 15th, 2009, 5:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I understand someone from the small household group arrived to your dinner. Fortunately, they found their way back to us.

You may want to meet at Uru Swati next time, because it is exclusively vegetarian.

Glad it all worked out for all of you.

Regards,

I don't think the confusion would have existed if they weren't both at Indian restaurants & both on the same night. We almost had them stay with us but you would have missed out on what I'm sure is a delicious pork offering. I'm glad they got to Uru Swati, but that was classic, showing up at the Vegetarian Small Household Exchange with pork instead of the Omnivores' Small Household Exchange held at the exclusively vegetarian Uru Swati. :P

• Post #30 - December 16th, 2009, 11:55 am
    Post #30 - December 16th, 2009, 11:55 am Post #30 - December 16th, 2009, 11:55 am
    To quote a Food Network veteran (since we talked about the Food Network) Emeril, I have 1 word for the Thai-curry squash soup---

BAM!

Talk about knocking it out of the park. There's so much spice & heat. I adore things with heat. Alistair is going to adore this if he's able to get his hands on any of this. It's nutritious & we both have colds so a perfect foil for our dulled taste buds & blocked sinus.

Can I get the recipe?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more