Culinary Historians: Midwest Baking Traditions, January 21
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Culinary Historians: Midwest Baking Traditions, January 21

Post #1 - January 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm
    Post #1 - January 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm Post #1 - January 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm
    Culinary Historians of Chicago Presents:

“Some Sweet Talk”
    Discover how the Midwest refined the nation’s sweet tooth through
    a delicious mix of immigrant traditions and American ingenuity.

Presented by
    Chef Jenny Lewis
    Educator and author of
    “Midwest Sweet Baking History/
    Delectable Classics Around Lake Michigan”
    and Chef Heidi Heidecker
    Assistant professor/pastry chef instructor,
    Kendall College of Culinary Arts

Saturday, Jan. 21, 2011
    10 a.m. to Noon
    Chicago History Museum
    1601 N. Clark St., Chicago

Join us as Chefs Jenny Lewis and Heidi Heidecker dish out a sweet history of the Lake Michigan states of Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. Learn about Chicago’s dessert presence during the Columbian Exposition (where the brownie was born) and get the real skinny on industry giants like Kraft and Nabisco. Savor the stories of Whoopie Pies and Red Star Yeast, and discover how tainted food products propelled Chicago to become the Nation’s first city to pass food protection laws.

Bios— in their own words:

Chef Jenny Lewis
    “As an educator, CCE (Certified Culinary Educator – American Culinary Federation) I continually create new classes. I continually scour books appropriate for my classes, and for my personal interests as well. I enrolled in an in-depth training seminar for Chicago’s historical Prairie Avenue homes, and it was here that I developed an interest in the middle states history. As a fifth-generation Chicagoan, I am honored to tell the stories of immigrant’s baking traditions combined with rich company histories, and the lore of contemporary and historical recipes.”

Chef Heidi Heideker
    “Since childhood, I have been a part of Chicago’s ethnic bakery tradition. My family owned and lived above Gladstone Park Bakery, which was known for it’s unusual cake creations. Later, I owned Alliance Bakery in Chicago for nearly a decade. My bakery was listed in the U.S. edition of Culinaria, and was voted Wicker Park's "Best Retailer of the Year-2000." I am currently working on a book about ethnic celebration breads.”

Cost of the lecture program is $5, $3 for students
    and no charge for CHC members.

To reserve, please e-mail your reservation to: Culinary.Historians@gmail.com.
    PLEASE NOTE: RSVP REQUIRED--SEATING IS  LIMITED AND CHC MEMBERS WILL RECEIVE PRIORITY CONSIDERATION.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #2 - February 10th, 2012, 9:32 pm
    Post #2 - February 10th, 2012, 9:32 pm Post #2 - February 10th, 2012, 9:32 pm
    WBEZ’s Chicago Amplified partners with Culinary Historians by recording our programs and making them available for broadcast on demand at their website or downloadable to an iPod.

Our most recent program:

Some Sweet Talk: How the Midwest Refined the Nation’s Sweet Tooth Through a Delicious Mix of Immigrant Traditions and American Ingenuity with Chef Jenny Lewis and Chef Heidi Hedecker.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more