LTH Home

Chowathon: 10th Anniversary, April 20-21, 2012

Chowathon: 10th Anniversary, April 20-21, 2012
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 10
  • Post #241 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:05 pm
    Post #241 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:05 pm Post #241 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Anyone know the total number of LTHers and guests who were a part of this?

=R=

Sticky Rice was the most well-attended stop. I counted close to 30, but there were some folks who joined in at other points in the tour who were not there. So roughly, I'm going to throw out 40 as the total number of LTHers who participated, though I'm guessing if VI and I put our heads together, we could come up with a complete list of all who did (if that's what you're looking for).

On the first Chowathon, I think we might have had 10 at any one point, at the most. But that was before Twitter.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #242 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
    Post #242 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm Post #242 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:Great to finally meet all of you folks!
    The highlights for me were probably Italian Superior Bakery (delicious muffaletta) and Pleasant House (perfect fish ‘n’ chips/mushroom and kale pie/everything), and of course Nha Hang for their over-the-top hospitality.
    Hopefully I’ll be fully recovered by Chowathon 3 in 2022.

Dan, it was most excellent to meet you. It was so cool hanging with you and others who were previously known only online.

Maybe we should do an LTH dive trip sometime (stevez was an instructor; I'm NAUI certified).
  • Post #243 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm
    Post #243 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm Post #243 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Filbert's remains a kooky and singular place
    I tried their Black Cherry Soda today and it was very good,
    probably the best flavored soda I've ever had;
    not syrupy or artificial-tasting at all.
    I can't wait to try the rest of the varieties I picked up.
  • Post #244 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:38 pm
    Post #244 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:38 pm Post #244 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:38 pm
    Might we rather dwell on...

...Massi's Italian Superior Bakery, where they literally turned away customers so as to give us enough attention...

...La Chaperitta, where we occupied every table, were graciously offered more, in water and radishes, than we paid for in tacos (but man what tacos)...

...Filberts, who remembered us 10 years hence as well as Hammond remembered the bottling line, but was otherwise rather un-changed, and thank fifty cent bottle of pop, for that...

...Pleasant House, where Art Jackson welcomed everyone like old friends, making this part of the trip better by making us friends with his old friend, an urban ag farmer too...

...Honey 1 Ribs, who needed no introduction to LTH 'thoning, allowing just the retreat we needed when we needed to retreat...

...Riconcinto Cubano, which use to get Board love when the Board was Chowhound, and has mostly fallen off the radar, but made the most incredible accomodations anyways, and some incredible coffee too at just the right time...

...El Llano, a place that had no problem serving 2 chickens to 20 people, and then making that Blues Brother scene, "I'll have 4 fried chickens" "white toast" stuck in my head the rest of the 24 hours...

...Sticky Rice, a place that had no problem serving up a few orders of laab, a crispy rice salad or two and some pork on a stick (moo ping), while also letting us cram into every last space in the place, and, and even violating a few fire laws to put in more space; while also totally putting them in contention for as good as good Thai food can get in Chicago...

...Lashatt's was pretty cool with a wandering glass boot...

...Diner Grill, cool, you though Lashatt's was cool with a big crowd of rapidly inebriating people was cool, how 'bout here where we went to eat it off, but at the ratio of 1 slinger per 20 people, a haystack on the side, 2 quarters in the juke box (not really what it cost), and a re-enactment of the current Cosmopolitan TV ad to finish...

...Red Hot Ranch, more bemused than cool, tolerant for sure...

...Sweet Station, that does what any place needs to do open at 330 AM, keeping your glass of tea always full to let you know you don't have to get into the darkness any time soon...

...Shan, where they started a bit gruff with the first attempt at our minimal order, yet fully bought into the purpose of Chowathon once explained by Hat Hammond and moved from there...

...Nha Hang, if you thought it could not get any better, I mean I was so concerned how any place could take the idea of splitting one bowl of soup for 8; that did not bother them at all; in fact it bothered them so little that they brought us more soup on the house, brought us a dish or baby lamb (giant speckled shrimp crackers on the side) on the house, and then when that seemed not generous enough, bought us the whole breakfast on the house; did I mention I need to return here ASAP...

...Donut Vault, who really don't get any special credit themselves, but needs to be mentioned for the extra special credit given to Patriq's son Wyatt (and Wyatt's girlfriend), for waiting the long, long wait, to deliver donuts to us...

...Gene and Georgetti, where a bunch of unwashed don't necessarily show up around Saturday lunch for drinks, yet fully enjoyed, nay appreciated their place at the end of the event.

Listen, that's not every place on the list of of places we visited. No one else besides Podhalanka rejected us. I'm not saying a few bites of home-made blintz and taste of white borscht would not have totally hit the spot at 5 PM, but she does have the right to say no I don't want to be part of this. Honestly, I put her on the list because I really thought she would like to be part of it, but who does not make a mistake or two. I was astonished, can I say that again, astonished by the good will spread across this city on our day of eating, both by the participants serving and the participants eating and drinking. I'm not gonna dwell on one place.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #245 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm
    Post #245 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm Post #245 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm
    Vital Information wrote:...Sweet Station, that does what any place needs to do open at 330 AM, keeping your glass of tea always full to let you know you don't have to get into the darkness....

And darkness it was. Walking in front of a shuttered Triple Crown, in the blackest hour of the night, I said to Patoriq, "We are now in the Dead Zone." I hated to awaken Laikom from his truck cab bedroom, but we were nowhere, and I thought he might want to know. Thank goodness for Sweet City, the endless tea, bright light and green apples, the near-fight and adrenaline-generating moment with a live crawdaddy-eating fully pumped psycho/puglist, the pleasant conversation with Dr. Stainer about the dynamics of The Fall in "Paradise Lost," unforgettable.

Are crawdaddies always so mushy?
  • Post #246 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:55 pm
    Post #246 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:55 pm Post #246 - April 22nd, 2012, 5:55 pm
    Vital Information wrote:Listen, that's not every place on the list of of places we visited. No one else besides Podhalanka rejected us. I'm not saying a few bites of home-made blintz and taste of white borscht would not have totally hit the spot at 5 PM, but she does have the right to say no I don't want to be part of this. Honestly, I put her on the list because I really thought she would like to be part of it, but who does not make a mistake or two. I was astonished, can I say that again, astonished by the good will spread across this city on our day of eating, both by the participants serving and the participants eating and drinking. I'm not gonna dwell on one place.

I couldn't agree more. It was a great event, and my account of what happened at Podhalanka sounds much worse than it actually was. I only posted it because so many people were asking about what actually happened. It was a mere blip on the radar, not an earth shattering event and it took no more than 5 minutes to recover and head to Honey 1.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #247 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm
    Post #247 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm Post #247 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm
    Really well-stated VI--and a great recap to boot! I wasn't there for the Podalhanka stop but it seems like it added a little something for the memory book and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I happened to be out with a small LTH group who had just finished a stop at Ombra for drinks and snacks and a taste of Hall's new cider at Hopleaf when someone said "chowathon is headed to Sticky Rice" and it was on from there. A couple of us left after that first stop, a couple of us hung out for a few more. I probably really didn't need the side trip to my house a couple blocks away from Bai to pick up the bottle of Pappy which proceeded to erase most of my memory recall for the evening but, then again, I can't think of a better group with whom to descend into food and booze coma/next-day hangover hell :twisted: As always, it was a pleasure.

Most of all, thanks so much to VI and Hammond for organizing a terrific outing and for the social media team who enabled us to spontaneously join in. I think this needs to happen more than once every 10 years, no?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #248 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:01 pm
    Post #248 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:01 pm Post #248 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:01 pm
    Yumi succumbs to darkness, Sweet Station, around 4:45AM, Saturday morning:

• Post #249 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:10 pm
    Post #249 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:10 pm Post #249 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:10 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote: I think this needs to happen more than once every 10 years, no?

Yes.
  • Post #250 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:30 pm
    Post #250 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:30 pm Post #250 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:30 pm
    Vital Information wrote:Listen, that's not every place on the list of of places we visited. No one else besides Podhalanka rejected us. I'm not saying a few bites of home-made blintz and taste of white borscht would not have totally hit the spot at 5 PM, but she does have the right to say no I don't want to be part of this. Honestly, I put her on the list because I really thought she would like to be part of it, but who does not make a mistake or two. I was astonished, can I say that again, astonished by the good will spread across this city on our day of eating, both by the participants serving and the participants eating and drinking. I'm not gonna dwell on one place.

I didn't mean to be dwelling and as far as I can tell, no mistakes were made but it's hard (for me) to resist a good bit of drama, especially when it's such a scarce one.

Hammond, it was an impressive turn-out by any measure, which is why I was curious about the number. I was there for a good portion of the event and see folks in some of the pictures who I never actually saw during the event. No need to bang your head over an actual number, though.

I think my favorite moment was probably at the Diner Grill, where Kenny the cook seemed very bemused by our large group and regaled us with a couple of stories . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #251 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm
    Post #251 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm Post #251 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm

I have the video.
  • Post #252 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:41 pm
    Post #252 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:41 pm Post #252 - April 22nd, 2012, 6:41 pm
    Another data point....I weighed myself before I left the house for Manny's and once I arrived at home@3:30 AM.

187.2 before
    194.0 after
  • Post #253 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:00 pm
    Post #253 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:00 pm Post #253 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:00 pm
    milz50 wrote:Another data point....I weighed myself before I left the house for Manny's and once I arrived at home@3:30 AM.

187.2 before
    194.0 after

Don't do that. I was up 1 lb. Had the best sleep in maybe five years. Worth it, and I mean, way worth it.

I love this pic of mbh; a portrait of donut lust:

• Post #254 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:05 pm
    Post #254 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:05 pm Post #254 - April 22nd, 2012, 7:05 pm
    I was thrilled to be able to drop in and out with Mrs. Vinny and Zane. It was great to meet so many of you and see a few that I'd met before at the Hong Kong Cafe outing.

Can't wait to see some more pics, especially from Nha Hang.
  • Post #255 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
    Post #255 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:18 pm Post #255 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
    I spent many post-bar times at the Diner Grill, but it has been a few years. The jukebox, which was not there back in the day, looks so out of place!

ronnie_suburban wrote:

-Mary
  • Post #256 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm
    Post #256 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm Post #256 - April 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm
    The girl in the powder-pink hoodie looks out of place :mrgreen:
  • Post #257 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:12 pm
    Post #257 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:12 pm Post #257 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:12 pm
    zoid wrote:The girl in the powder-pink hoodie looks out of place :mrgreen:

And yet, she's the only one with food in front of her! :D

=R=
  • Post #258 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm
    Post #258 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm Post #258 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm
    The GP wrote:The jukebox, which was not there back in the day, looks so out of place!

I think turkob's ordered one for his house. :lol:

=R=
  • Post #259 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:50 pm
    Post #259 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:50 pm Post #259 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:50 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:Filbert's remains a kooky and singular place
    I tried their Black Cherry Soda today and it was very good,
    probably the best flavored soda I've ever had;
    not syrupy or artificial-tasting at all.
    I can't wait to try the rest of the varieties I picked up.

Yes! I enjoyed my bottle of black cherry at the plant.

Of course it's gonna taste good at the plant, it's quite amazing, in a way, that it tastes so good far away. Maybe it's the small batch bottling (I mean small). It's not like Filbert's uses artisinal ingredients, and I do not even think they use cane sugar, yet their pops taste so good. For one thing, the flavors are all distinct and vibrant. It's not cough syrup or cream soda (except the cream soda). For another, the pops are excellently balanced; sweet, strong but not overwhelming.

Drink local!
  • Post #260 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:59 pm
    Post #260 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:59 pm Post #260 - April 22nd, 2012, 9:59 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote: I wasn't there for the Podalhanka stop but it seems like it added a little something for the memory book and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Exactly!

Who wants a fully smooth 'thon? After all, did they not make a sequel to the Hangover?

Granted, no one returned to reality with a tattoo, let alone a face tattoo, but a few memories of rejection, altercation, and indigestion (I'm looking at you Bai cafe cake), make for part of the great memories of the 24 hours of chow.
  • Post #261 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm
    Post #261 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm Post #261 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm
    Next time, most definitely, tats. I think I speak for VI, patoriq (and probably beau) and me when I say, All In. We have a year to pick a design, which I rely upon MikeG to design.
  • Post #262 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm
    Post #262 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm Post #262 - April 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm
    Looking for a post-Ombra snack and not finding a viable option in Andersonville, it was decided we should join up with Chowathon. With a quick stop at Hopleaf (we had to bring something, right?), we were then on our way to Sticky Rice.

with not enough rice to go around, frites make a nice starchy substitute

Laschett’s stops serving food at 10:30.

Challenge accepted.

many thanks to Turkob for das boot

Cathy's Runzas were delightful

Diner Grill

Opted out of the slinger for a bacon grilled cheese. Don't remember how it tasted.

Bai - very nice that half of gleam showed up.

My goal was to make it until Red Hot Ranch.
    Boom. Goodnight.

Great event, great company.
  • Post #263 - April 23rd, 2012, 5:50 am
    Post #263 - April 23rd, 2012, 5:50 am Post #263 - April 23rd, 2012, 5:50 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    Of course it's gonna taste good at the plant, it's quite amazing, in a way, that it tastes so good far away. Maybe it's the small batch bottling (I mean small). It's not like Filbert's uses artisinal ingredients, and I do not even think they use cane sugar, yet their pops taste so good. For one thing, the flavors are all distinct and vibrant. It's not cough syrup or cream soda (except the cream soda). For another, the pops are excellently balanced; sweet, strong but not overwhelming.

Drink local!

Last I checked (which was several years ago) Filbert's did indeed use real sugar. I doubt much has changed, but I didn't ask when we were at the plant.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #264 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:25 pm
    Post #264 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:25 pm Post #264 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:25 pm

A man and his soda pop.
  • Post #265 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm
    Post #265 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm Post #265 - April 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Image
    C2’s pacific demeanor belies the maelstrom of Queen-inspired insanity taking place in background (I have the video).

Do tell.

Please tell me that one person finished one whole boot.

I may have missed this, but who was able to do all 24 hours?

I agree with boudreaulicious - please, please, have another of these in less than 10 years. Like next year, maybe. I'll clear my schedule this time.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #266 - April 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm
    Post #266 - April 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm Post #266 - April 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:I may have missed this, but who was able to do all 24 hours?

Scubachef, laikom, patoriq, Vital Information and me.
  • Post #267 - April 24th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    Post #267 - April 24th, 2012, 2:22 pm Post #267 - April 24th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    David Hammond wrote:

Honorable mention: Lemoneater worked all day, met up at podhalanka, then lasted the rest of the time. Assuming she went to work at a normal hour, she was actually awake a few more hours than I was.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #268 - April 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm
    Post #268 - April 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm Post #268 - April 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm
    laikom wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

Honorable mention: Lemoneater worked all day, met up at podhalanka, then lasted the rest of the time. Assuming she went to work at a normal hour, she was actually awake a few more hours than I was.

And ymas, too!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #269 - April 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm
    Post #269 - April 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm Post #269 - April 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm
    oh yeah, yumi also planned on running after. how did that turn out?
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #270 - May 21st, 2013, 10:53 am
    Post #270 - May 21st, 2013, 10:53 am Post #270 - May 21st, 2013, 10:53 am
    Any interest in a 2013 crawl?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide