LTH Home

LTH Forum's Picnic 2019 - Sept. 22nd - Reserve now!

LTH Forum's Picnic 2019 - Sept. 22nd - Reserve now!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • LTH Forum's Picnic 2019 - Sept. 22nd - Reserve now!

Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 3:24 pm
    Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 3:24 pm Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 3:24 pm
    We are returning to lovely and intimate Forest Glen Woods once more.

Date: Sunday, September 22nd - Rain or Shine

Time:
    - Any early arrivals for smokers and grillers arrive to begin their cooks. Just let me know when.
    - 10:30 AM: Help with tidying up, arranging tables and supplies.
    - 11:00 AM: Appetizers/Lunch/Desserts Food will be coming out in waves as they are cooked or as people arrive. It is truly a miraculous vision: Food shows up and people eat it!
    (If you want to try everything, come early and stay late ... don't begin to kvetch if it is gone when you show up fashionably late! :D )
    - 2:00 pm - Pinata breaking (children must bring their parents)
    - 4:30ish - Begin tidying up - please note this is everyone's effort. Leaving early, please do your best to contribute to straightening up or tossing garbage as you depart.
    - 6:48 PM: Sunset - party over followed by the Park District chaining the driveway.

Where: Forest Glen Woods, 5420 N. Forest Glen Avenue, Chicago, IL 60630 pdf

Public transportation: Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire. Connecting to CTA Foster 92. (If someone offers better transportation instructions, this will be updated)
    Katie wrote:
    Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire. Connecting to CTA Foster 92.

I think the confusion in these instructions is with "Connecting to". From the Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire, it is about a 2- to 3-block walk (0.2 miles, 4 minutes) north to the entrance to the forest preserve parking lot at 5420 Forest Glen Avenue (https://tinyurl.com/yy24bmtw). The Foster #92 bus runs east-west along Foster, several blocks south of the Metra station. So if you take Metra to the Forest Glen station, your walk north is 0.2 miles, 4 minutes; if you take Foster #92 and get off at the Foster & Elston stop, your walk north is 0.5 miles, 11 minutes (https://tinyurl.com/y6kn4lgb). If you get off at Foster & LeClaire, it's 0.6 miles, 12 minutes (https://tinyurl.com/y3pq2544) (all according to Google Maps). Hope this is helpful.

Driving: Take 94 to the Peterson Exit (only exit east), then turn right (south) onto Cicero Avenue. [Caldwell is not Peterson, do not go west!] Forest Glen Drive will be on the right (west side) taking you into quiet residential neighborhood where our picnic grove is located.

If you are driving north on 94, justjoan suggests:
    cathy, your driving directions using 94 are useful for those coming from the north. for newcomers (or people who've forgotten), and to avoid confusion, please add that foster is the exit needed coming from the south. the exit takes you over to cicero, then a quick right turn onto north forest glen road, and then we follow the left branching road to the very last shelter, with a huge parking lot.

If the chicken is still alive and clucking, then look for her as you turn from Cicero Avenue to Forest Glen Drive.

The chicken seems to live in the nearby woods. She is constantly threatening to cross the road, which might answer an age-old question of why!

Fee: Free!

This is a true do-it-ourselves event where we bring food to share, help set up and clean up. Please advise if you can come early or help later with tidying up. This picnic will leave pleasant memories for all of us when we share the load.

Reserve: By replying on this thread. Your information will be maintained on this reservations list, which can always be checked. Please alert us to any errors. From time to time, we will post a recap on this thread.

Everyone joining in this event is expected to contribute in food and/or supplies, keeping the event orderly and tidy up as you go.

Whatever food you choose to bring, please make sure to keep hot food hot and cold food cold

Thinking what to do? Since this is our community dinner, make the dish your friends have all admired. I am sure you will get the same reaction here.

If you are better at ordering take-out, then consider bringing the following:

- Your favorite take-out!
    - Volunteer to bring one or two loaves of bread from bakers
    - Bring Kvass, Bitter lemon or other foreign sodas .. Good Ol'Coke and Dr. Pepper are ok, too!
    - Cheese or salamis
    - Plastic table settings, paper plates, (good) napkins or cups (from Costco, Sams Club)
    - Baby wipes for cleaning hands
    - Plastic garbage bags
    - Water and Ice is always nice!*

*If you commit and later find you cannot attend, please give advance warning. People may want to keep a stash of water in case there are shortages (like a few years ago).

Supplies from last year were used at other community events such as Laikam's Montrose Harbor grill parties. We found life was made easier for everyone by simply using supplies for ongoing community events.

:idea: If you can bring a bag to collect recyclables to bring home and dispose, that would be terrific.

Picnic Permit Rules and Regulations wrote:
    3. The Forest Preserve District is closed to all visitors after SUNSET. Night picnics are not permitted. Glass beverage containers are not permitted on the Forest Preserve District property.

5. The sale of alcoholic beverages in any form is prohibit.
    6. Before leaving, you must extinguish all fires; collect all your paper debris, bottles and trash and deposit them in the appropriate containers.

10. All ordinances and regulations in effect of the Forest Preserve District must be observed and the instructions of its representatives obeyed. Please note that the consumption of alcohol upon or within 50 feet of any roadway, parking area or entranceway is prohibit. No admission fees or charges may be levied.

Alcohol consumption is allowed in this grove. As stated above, you cannot bring any glass bottles. BYOB -- if you share with someone then it is gift you're sharing.

Tents sized no more than 10x10 are allowed. Anything larger would require a permit we do not intend to pursue.

From talking to the Cook County Forest Preserve Police, the consequences of a violation are: At a minimum two tickets with fines and mandatory court appearances will be issued: to the violator and the person named on the permit. Let's end the day with happy memories. :D

Please reserve by posting below with what you plan to bring to the picnic, where it fits into the meal and how many are attending:

Appetizer
    Bread
    Cheese/Sausage (to be sliced)
    Side Dishes
    Salads
    Main course
    Snacks
    Desserts
    Alcohol beverages
    Non-alcohol beverages
    Tablesettings, paper products, garbage bags

Please advise if your food needs heating, grilling or smoking. Plan to bring your own equipment unless you have arranged to share grill space. If you have a tabletop grill, then be prepared to have it sit on the ground.

We have a special spot in our hearts for unique and weird food. Things you never thought you'd have an opportunity to eat.

:idea: Let's do this again, because it works so well: If you have small bites to easily pick up, consider walking through the crowd offering tastes to people.

Adjacent to our picnic area is a large field for games. I've heard adults are now playing games from their youth like kick ball. If someone brings a ball and refreshes our memories on the rules, there just might be a game. There are trails to the north branch of the Chicago river to trek to. On the grove’s premises are flush toilets and water to clean your hands. If you want to guarantee drinkable water, then bring your own.

Come with the classic LTHforum open spirit to break bread with friends who share your culinary interests.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - July 16th, 2019, 9:45 pm
    Post #2 - July 16th, 2019, 9:45 pm Post #2 - July 16th, 2019, 9:45 pm
    Hi,

We are roughly nine weeks away, so please put this on your calendar.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #3 - July 17th, 2019, 11:00 am
    Post #3 - July 17th, 2019, 11:00 am Post #3 - July 17th, 2019, 11:00 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

We are roughly nine weeks away, so please put this on your calendar.

Regards,
    CAthy2

LOL -- it went on my calendar after your first post. Don't want to miss this event.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - August 5th, 2019, 9:06 am
    Post #4 - August 5th, 2019, 9:06 am Post #4 - August 5th, 2019, 9:06 am
    I’m planning on bringing a Chinese dish of tofu crepe with shiitake and bamboo shoots.
  • Post #5 - August 9th, 2019, 4:06 am
    Post #5 - August 9th, 2019, 4:06 am Post #5 - August 9th, 2019, 4:06 am
    I plan to get the list up for reservations next week. So sharpen your ideas on what you plan to bring.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - August 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm
    Post #6 - August 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm Post #6 - August 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm
    We will gladly bring the pinata again.
  • Post #7 - August 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm
    Post #7 - August 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm Post #7 - August 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm
    glennpan wrote:We will gladly bring the pinata again.

Excellent. Thank you! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:38 am
    Post #8 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:38 am Post #8 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:38 am
    The Picnic Spreadsheet has begun!

This spreadsheet is for information purposes. Simply state in this thread what you plan to bring, then I will update.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:50 pm
    Post #9 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:50 pm Post #9 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:50 pm
    Chouxfly and I will be there with bells on! Since he started smoking meats, I've been making a lot of "enchilasagna" with smoked chicken and green chilis. Mmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

He will probably bake something.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #10 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm
    Post #10 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm Post #10 - August 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:Chouxfly and I will be there with bells on! Since he started smoking meats, I've been making a lot of "enchilasagna" with smoked chicken and green chilis. Mmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

He will probably bake something.

Great. Shall I make a tag for Linc, in case he chooses to attend?

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - August 22nd, 2019, 9:47 pm
    Post #11 - August 22nd, 2019, 9:47 pm Post #11 - August 22nd, 2019, 9:47 pm
    As I have in the past, I'll bring something made with some sort of critter (probably appetizer sized).
  • Post #12 - August 24th, 2019, 1:15 pm
    Post #12 - August 24th, 2019, 1:15 pm Post #12 - August 24th, 2019, 1:15 pm
    Frank and I plan on attending. I'm not completely sure what I will bring, maybe an Asian noodle dish.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #13 - August 25th, 2019, 1:40 pm
    Post #13 - August 25th, 2019, 1:40 pm Post #13 - August 25th, 2019, 1:40 pm
    I will do what I did last year: Raid the beer cellar for canned beers, and also, 12-packs of 12-oz. cans of non-cola soda [think beverages like ginger ale, lemon-lime ~ cherry variants might be included]. It will be at least two 12-packs. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #14 - August 27th, 2019, 9:40 am
    Post #14 - August 27th, 2019, 9:40 am Post #14 - August 27th, 2019, 9:40 am
    Frank and I will definitely come
    IDK about offspring and friends yet
    Contributions TBD
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #15 - August 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm
    Post #15 - August 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm Post #15 - August 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm
    Definitely count SueF and I in. Probably a dessert and side/app, but no firm plans yet.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #16 - August 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm
    Post #16 - August 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm Post #16 - August 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm
    Hi,

I have a bottle of Soylent for people to sample in itty bitty cups.

If anybody has some oddities in the back of the closet, bring it in plastic bottles for people to sample.

Remember glass bottles are strictly prohibited at the picnic grounds.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - August 31st, 2019, 12:46 pm
    Post #17 - August 31st, 2019, 12:46 pm Post #17 - August 31st, 2019, 12:46 pm
    To repeat myself again, I respectfully inform you that, as somebody who has rode public transportation (think commuter trains) to beerworthy venues in Joliet, Naperville, Crystal Lake, and Libertyville - it is not going to work for you to get to 5420 N. Forest Glen Ave. :cry:
    It is a reasonably lengthy walk from the closest route #92 Foster transit bus stop. I fantasize you carrying boxes and | or bags containing the items you bring to the picnic. And how about a lawn chair for you to sit on? :idea:
    Yeah, O.K. :roll: Let's see you trying to board and exit transit vehicles with all this baggage. Not to mention keeping perishable foodstuffs at a proper temperature.
    You are really going to have to motor here. :arrow:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #18 - September 1st, 2019, 8:45 am
    Post #18 - September 1st, 2019, 8:45 am Post #18 - September 1st, 2019, 8:45 am
    Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire. Connecting to CTA Foster 92.

I think the confusion in these instructions is with "Connecting to". From the Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire, it is about a 2- to 3-block walk (0.2 miles, 4 minutes) north to the entrance to the forest preserve parking lot at 5420 Forest Glen Avenue (https://tinyurl.com/yy24bmtw). The Foster #92 bus runs east-west along Foster, several blocks south of the Metra station. So if you take Metra to the Forest Glen station, your walk north is 0.2 miles, 4 minutes; if you take Foster #92 and get off at the Foster & Elston stop, your walk north is 0.5 miles, 11 minutes (https://tinyurl.com/y6kn4lgb). If you get off at Foster & LeClaire, it's 0.6 miles, 12 minutes (https://tinyurl.com/y3pq2544) (all according to Google Maps). Hope this is helpful.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #19 - September 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm
    Post #19 - September 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm Post #19 - September 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm
    I'm thinking Tashkent Carrot Salad. I love this stuff and haven't made it in a while. What better excuse to make it again than to share it with friends.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #20 - September 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am
    Post #20 - September 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am Post #20 - September 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am
    I'm coming! I'll be bringing Vadalia Onion Shortcake (a southern funeral food). :)
  • Post #21 - September 2nd, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #21 - September 2nd, 2019, 10:59 am Post #21 - September 2nd, 2019, 10:59 am
    I plan on coming. I might bring one of my kids - won't know until that day if they are coming.

I will bring a homemade pie.

JennyIL
  • Post #22 - September 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm
    Post #22 - September 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm Post #22 - September 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm
    I'm going to bring the mushroom pate from Molly Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest. It is completely delicious. [Also vegetarian, but not vegan.] I used to bring it frequently to parties and couldn't get people to eat it because it is very, very brown. LTH people aren't going to let brown stop them. I'll bring some kind of cracker/bread thing to go along with it.

Also some beer. Probably from Une Anee.

I've been storing up a lot of plastic containers with the thought of bringing them to the picnic.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #23 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 am
    Post #23 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 am Post #23 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 am
    razbry wrote:I'm coming! I'll be bringing Vadalia Onion Shortcake (a southern funeral food). :)

Is this a dessert or side dish? It sounds wonderful!

Giovanna wrote:I'm going to bring the mushroom pate from Molly Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest. It is completely delicious. [Also vegetarian, but not vegan.] I used to bring it frequently to parties and couldn't get people to eat it because it is very, very brown. LTH people aren't going to let brown stop them. I'll bring some kind of cracker/bread thing to go along with it.

One of my favorite foods! Mushrooms!

Katie - are you coming this year?
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:50 am
    Post #24 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:50 am Post #24 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:50 am
    I don't know yet. Why--do you have more Taylor's chili for me?

Do you like the update to the public transportation suggestions?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #25 - September 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am
    Post #25 - September 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am Post #25 - September 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am
    Katie wrote:I don't know yet. Why--do you have more Taylor's chili for me?

Do you like the update to the public transportation suggestions?

At least for me, when it comes to public transportation advice: it's the blind leading the blind. If everyone agrees it is good, it is good.

No Taylorville Chili to tempt you this time around, sorry!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - September 3rd, 2019, 1:59 pm
    Post #26 - September 3rd, 2019, 1:59 pm Post #26 - September 3rd, 2019, 1:59 pm
    i'll be bringing a bucket of my usual LTH PICNIC fruit punch and a dessert...i'm leaning towards rugulach, but reserve the right to change my mind...i'm very much looking forward to the people and the food (in that order), as always.
  • Post #27 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm
    Post #27 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm Post #27 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm
    justjoan wrote:i'll be bringing a bucket of my usual LTH PICNIC fruit punch and a dessert...i'm leaning towards rugulach, but reserve the right to change my mind...i'm very much looking forward to the people and the food (in that order), as always.

I love that punch! I will bring an empty gallon container to put your punch in, if you leave early.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:15 pm
    Post #28 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:15 pm Post #28 - September 3rd, 2019, 2:15 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    justjoan wrote:i'll be bringing a bucket of my usual LTH PICNIC fruit punch and a dessert...i'm leaning towards rugulach, but reserve the right to change my mind...i'm very much looking forward to the people and the food (in that order), as always.

I love that punch! I will bring an empty gallon container to put your punch in, if you leave early.

Regards,
    Cathy2

thanks cathy.
  • Post #29 - September 4th, 2019, 9:35 am
    Post #29 - September 4th, 2019, 9:35 am Post #29 - September 4th, 2019, 9:35 am
    Coops (Peter) and I plan to attend. Peter is concocting a homemade ice cream recipe suitable for the culinary standards of this illustrious group. I am contemplating a savory offering. We have also invited a few possible newbies (who are great cooks) to join in this fun, food and fellowship. Looking forward to seeing you all for a wonderful end to the summer /kick off of fall seasons.
    Celia
    "A party without cake is really just a meeting" ~ Julia Child
    "There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry." ~ Julia Child
    "Build a Longer Table, NOT a Wall..."
  • Post #30 - September 9th, 2019, 7:43 am
    Post #30 - September 9th, 2019, 7:43 am Post #30 - September 9th, 2019, 7:43 am
    It's the week before Rosh Hashanah
    so I've been thinking about my "famous" noodle kugel and/or dark and fruity honey cake
    alternatively thinking about a wonderful watermelon and feta salad I recently made

Also recently acquired 2 new cookbooks
    Marshall fields (full o various chicken salads)
    Ottolenghi Plenty more- plenty o pretty veg
    I may wait to see what the weather feels like...
    Daughter Laura may also join us.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more