LTH Home

Civil War Camp Cooking Tour, 10/20 Hainesville

Civil War Camp Cooking Tour, 10/20 Hainesville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Civil War Camp Cooking Tour, 10/20 Hainesville

Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 10:15 am
    Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 10:15 am Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 10:15 am
    Civil War Camp Cooking Tour

Presented Erik Schultz, Long time reenactor

Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM (meet at barn)
    Note: Event runs from Saturday: 10 AM – 4 PM, Sunday: 9 AM – 3 PM
    Complete schedule of activities
    Site map and key

Hainesville Civil War Encampment and Battle
    Northbrook Sports Club, 200 South Hainesville Road, Hainesville, IL 60030
    Admission: Free
    Parking: Cars: $10, Motorcyles: $5

Erik Schultz spoke on food of the Civil War in July this year. Now it is your opportunity to participate in a Civil War Camp Cooking tour guided by Erik.

Schulz has been a re-enactor for over 30 years and has lead camp cooking tours. As we walk between encampments, Erik will regale us with his experiences. Often the conversation during the journey is just as educational as the encampments we visit.

We will visit impressions reenactors have created for our education on life as a Civil War soldier. This is an annual event, because the tour is always fresh and dynamic. By design the cooks tour not just tests the culinary skills of the reenactors, they emphasize authenticity. Each camp is responsible for their menu and bring whatever material they deem correct to their impression. Emphasis is placed on the accuracy of the meal to the overall camp impression.

Those on the tour will act as judges noting how the food was obtained, what implements were used in the preparation, what the camp represents and the consistency of the meal to that impression. Each camp explains what their impression represents, where they are camping, and any other information consistent with their impression.

These tours provide another aspect of life during the Civil War. Contemporary people take for granted the ability to walk into a grocery store and purchase fresh fruits and vegetables regardless of season. This was not how life was lived 150 years ago. When reenactors prepare their meal, they consider what could reasonably be available to their impression. The reenactors desire is to help educate guests on a soldier’s everyday life during the Civil War.

Site for the event is on the north end of the Northbrook Sports Club property, 200 South Hainesville Road, Hainesville, Illinois 60030. At the intersection of Belvidere Road (US route 120) and Hainesville Road, turn south. Stop just north of the RR tracks at the Parking Fee/Information Booth to pay parking fee ($10 cash/vehicle or $5/motorcycle) and receive the event program.

Then carefully cross the railroad tracks and move further south where you will be directed to the visitors’ parking area. Parking for the handicapped, re-enactors, presenters, media, food vendors and EMS is further south.

Signs are posted throughout the event site to direct visitors to the various activities. A site map is also included in the event program. All activities can be accessed by walking. Golf carts are available to transport the handicapped as needed. A hay wagon is available about 15 minutes before the battle to transport individuals from the presentation barn area north to the battlefield which is within walking distance.

Questions. please e-mail: greatermidwestfoodways@gmail.com.

The Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance is dedicated to celebrating, exploring and preserving the American Midwest’s unique food traditions and their cultural contexts.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - October 14th, 2019, 4:27 pm
    Post #2 - October 14th, 2019, 4:27 pm Post #2 - October 14th, 2019, 4:27 pm
    I already had plans with a friend -- but I'm trying to talk her into doing this instead. I'll let you know.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - October 16th, 2019, 8:18 am
    Post #3 - October 16th, 2019, 8:18 am Post #3 - October 16th, 2019, 8:18 am
    I will try to attend.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #4 - October 17th, 2019, 10:18 pm
    Post #4 - October 17th, 2019, 10:18 pm Post #4 - October 17th, 2019, 10:18 pm
    Okay. I've altered my plans -- so I'll be there at 11:30. I'm assuming the location of the barn will be obvious.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #5 - October 17th, 2019, 10:28 pm
    Post #5 - October 17th, 2019, 10:28 pm Post #5 - October 17th, 2019, 10:28 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Okay. I've altered my plans -- so I'll be there at 11:30. I'm assuming the location of the barn will be obvious.

I hope so, too, because it is my first time at this event. Fortunately, it is the same guide we've encountered before.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more