Post #1 - July 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm Post #1 - July 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm
    CULINARY HISTORIANS OF CHICAGO presents:

Beyond the North Wind:
    Exploring Russia through Food

Presented by
    Darra Goldstein, PhD
    Professor and award-winning author

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 @ 7:00 PM via ZOOM!
    More detailed information

We welcome you to join us as Russian scholar and award-winning culinary authority Dr. Darra Goldstein shares highlights from her latest book Beyond the North Wind: Exploring Russia through Food. Darra will take us on a journey above the Arctic Circle, to Russia’s northernmost reaches, where the extremes of climate have inspired an inventive, resilient, and earthy cuisine. Darra points out that since Peter the Great opened his famous “window” on Europe, Russia has engaged in a tug-of-war with the West, one that is frequently played out at the table. The current political sanctions have jumpstarted an extraordinary revival of artisanal production, in which Russians are rediscovering their age-old traditions after the lean Soviet years. This exploration of culinary culture in some of the country’s most remote regions also offers surprising insight into Russian national identity.

Darra will transport us to Russia’s northernmost reaches, where the extremes of climate have inspired an inventive, resilient, and earthy cuisine. Beyond the North Wind re-conceptualizes Russian food practices by revealing the be be benefits of austerity rather than its limitations—how a harsh climate, poor soil, and limited availability of foods can foster an astonishingly complex cuisine characterized by exhilarating flavors and innovative techniques.

Biography: Darra Goldstein. PhD, is the Willcox B. and Harriet M. Adsit Professor of Russian, Emerita at Williams College and Founding Editor of Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture. She is the author of six award-winning cookbooks, including The Georgian Feast (the 1994 IACP Julia Child Cookbook of the Year) and the recently published Beyond the North Wind: Russia in Recipes and Lore, which topped thelist of Best Summer 2020 Cookbooks in the New York Times Book Review. She serves as Series Editor for California Studies in Food and Culture (University of California Press) and has consulted for the Council of Europe on using food to promote tolerance and diversity. Darra sits on the board of the Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts and is a member of the advisory “Kitchen Cabinet” of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.

Please e-mail Culinary.Historians@gmail.com for the ZOOM link.

http://www.culinaryHistorians.org
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - July 24th, 2020, 2:09 pm
    Post #2 - July 24th, 2020, 2:09 pm Post #2 - July 24th, 2020, 2:09 pm
    No samples available at this virtual presentation, though feel free to try these recipes for Sour Cream Honey Cake and Syrniki (Russian Cheese Pancakes) (Courtesy of 10 Speed Press & Stefan Wettainen, Photographer)
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #3 - August 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm
    Post #3 - August 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm Post #3 - August 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm
    Hi Cathy,

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago. It is beautiful. I have not cooked from it yet but am looking forward to doing so soon. Just to be clear, anyone can request the link? No need to be a member? Thanks, Lynn
  • Post #4 - August 6th, 2020, 9:34 pm
    Post #4 - August 6th, 2020, 9:34 pm Post #4 - August 6th, 2020, 9:34 pm
    LynnB wrote:Hi Cathy,

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago. It is beautiful. I have not cooked from it yet but am looking forward to doing so soon. Just to be clear, anyone can request the link? No need to be a member? Thanks, Lynn

PM your email, I will send you a link.
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - August 6th, 2020, 9:35 pm
    Post #5 - August 6th, 2020, 9:35 pm Post #5 - August 6th, 2020, 9:35 pm
    Hi,

There will be no recording of this program by the presenter's request.

If you want to see it, there is one chance.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - August 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm
    Post #6 - August 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm Post #6 - August 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm
    Great presentation- made me want to jump up and ferment something!
  • Post #7 - August 13th, 2020, 7:56 am
    Post #7 - August 13th, 2020, 7:56 am Post #7 - August 13th, 2020, 7:56 am
    LynnB wrote:Great presentation- made me want to jump up and ferment something!

I'm glad you made it.

In summer, there would be shortages of sugar because everyone needed it for preserving. Fresh strawberries were available only those few weeks in June, but you bought as much as you could to make jam and a cold preserve of berries mashed with sugar and kept in the refrigerator.

About 20 years ago, I did a talk on my food experiences in the USSR. I have been thinking for a while about reviving it. In that era, I hardly took a picture of anything. I will have to paint to with words.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - October 4th, 2020, 1:39 pm
    Post #8 - October 4th, 2020, 1:39 pm Post #8 - October 4th, 2020, 1:39 pm
    Slow Food USA is sponsoring some free webinars in October and November, many of which look interesting. Darra Goldstein will be demonstrating her Pink Blini recipe on Wednesday, October 28th at 5pm. I found her to be a very engaging speaker. Free, but you do need to register in advance at slowfoodusa.org.

I made the raspberry kvass from Beyond the North Wind and it was both beautiful and delicious.
  • Post #9 - October 5th, 2020, 10:12 am
    Post #9 - October 5th, 2020, 10:12 am Post #9 - October 5th, 2020, 10:12 am
    My Name is Andong (YouTube) has an interesting video up on Doctor's sausage from the USSR and Jagerschnitzel from the GDR.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #10 - October 5th, 2020, 11:14 am
    Post #10 - October 5th, 2020, 11:14 am Post #10 - October 5th, 2020, 11:14 am
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more