• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ossoli Cookbook, May 4, 2021 @ 7:30 pm

Post #1 - March 19th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    Post #1 - March 19th, 2021, 10:33 pm Post #1 - March 19th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    Chicago Foodways Roundtable

Ossoli Cookbook
    A fundraiser for the first public beach
    in Highland Park, Illinois

A joint meeting with Highland Park Public Library, Highland Park Historical Society and us!

Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM Central Time

We are encouraging people to prepare a recipe from this antique community cookbook and discuss the results. This cookbook is available online via the University of Illinois.

Now a little history on the Ossoli Club:

The Ossoli Club of Highland Park started in the rooms of the Highland Park Club House (HPCH) in 1894. Efforts to begin a woman’s club at the HPCH were met with skepticism until George Boulton declared that it was “only a fad,” and to let them amuse themselves. The initial name was ‘The Monday Club.’ Six months later, following a national trend, they renamed themselves the ‘Ossoli Club’ in deference to Margaret Fuller (1810-1840), a transcendentalism writer. Ida (Mrs. Daniel) Cobb, charter member and president (1898-1900), wrote, “Previous to the year 1894, Reading Clubs afforded the only mental stimulus in Highland Park and little coteries of women with similar tastes would meet and discuss the subjects of the day...until we decided Highland Park could no longer afford to be without a woman’s club.”

Another keystone accomplishment of the Ossoli Club was the establishment and maintenance of the first public beach* in Highland Park in 1911. The Club maintained the beach, provided swimming lessons, play equipment in the sand and in the water, changing rooms, chaperones, and lifeguards from the Young Men’s Club; with yearly improvements until the City and Park District took over those responsibilities. Funds from the sale of this cookbook were used for these yearly improvements.

Please email CulinaryHistorians@gmail.com for a Zoom link if you wish to participate.

*Central Avenue Beach where the North Shore Yacht Club is now located in 2021.

http://www.CulinaryHistorians.com
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - March 20th, 2021, 4:45 am
    Post #2 - March 20th, 2021, 4:45 am Post #2 - March 20th, 2021, 4:45 am
    Cathy2 wrote:

If this is the same beach, we now call it the Park Ave beach as that is the road taken to get down to the beach. Central Ave does not currently have a road or path down to the beach.
  • Post #3 - March 20th, 2021, 7:55 am
    Post #3 - March 20th, 2021, 7:55 am Post #3 - March 20th, 2021, 7:55 am
    lougord99 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

If this is the same beach, we now call it the Park Ave beach as that is the road taken to get down to the beach. Central Ave does not currently have a road or path down to the beach.

We are talking references to Highland Park circa 1911, when it was called Central Avenue Beach.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Post #4 - April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm Post #4 - April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Hi,

There is a recipe for a calves head soup. If you think you wish to make, I can advise where one can be purchased for $40. I made a lamb's head soup recently and pretty much it is the same process, though a bigger head.

There are recipes where macaroni is boiled for 30 minutes. I am very tempted to do one to instructions just to see what it is like.

It should be interesting.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - May 5th, 2021, 8:19 am
    Post #5 - May 5th, 2021, 8:19 am Post #5 - May 5th, 2021, 8:19 am
    What I made from the Ossoli Cookbook:

Pond Lily Salad
    More a presentation style than a salad, though I experimented with three different ways to cut an egg to suggest a flower.

Spaghetti and Cheese
    Those elbow macaroni were boiled for 30 minutes. I noticed they got to a certain level of saturation, then seemed to stop expanding. This is effectively macaroni and cheese.

Stewed mushrooms and Cheese Fondu
    The cheese fondu recipe called for 'soda,' which I presumed was baking soda. I saw nothing acidic for it to interact with, so I substituted baking powder. This recipe had a soufle-like texture.

German Coffee Cake
    I made this by gathering all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then cut in the butter. When butter is portioned by the size of a walnut, I assumed three. At the meeting, it was thought perhaps it was a tablespoon. I then added the egg beated into the milk, then poured it into a prepared nine-inch pan. This took 25 minutes to bake in a 350-degree oven.

It was an interesting meeting with lots of interesting and worthwhile conversation.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more