LTH Home

Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah (Shore), June 16 @ 7 PM

Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah (Shore), June 16 @ 7 PM
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah (Shore), June 16 @ 7 PM

Post #1 - April 9th, 2021, 9:47 pm
    Post #1 - April 9th, 2021, 9:47 pm Post #1 - April 9th, 2021, 9:47 pm
    Culinary Historians of Chicago

Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah (Shore)

By Flo Selfman

Eggplant Vegetable Pie

Having been a top singing star, Dinah Shore became a pioneer television personality with “The Dinah Shore Chevy Show,” which showcased her distinctive voice and relaxed Southern charm from 1951 to 1963. In 1970, she returned to television as host of “Dinah’s Place,” an NBC morning show that covered homemaking, crafts, child-rearing, health and beauty—always with a song, of course, and usually a cooking segment, either by Dinah or her celebrity guests. Many leading chefs got their first national exposure on “Dinah’s Place.”

Shortly after the show went on the air, Flo Selfman went to Dinah’s home in Beverly Hills as a two-week office temp to help with fan mail that was flooding in, and soon was asked to stay on. At the time, Shore was working on her first cookbook, “Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah.” An instinctive cook, she didn’t know how much of anything went into a recipe, so she would literally hold a measuring cup or spoon under the ingredient to record the amount.

In this Zoom presentation, Flo Selfman, owner of the Los Angeles agency Selfman & Others Public Relations and a copy editor through WordsalaMode.com, shares her experiences in the kitchen with America’s darling, Dinah, and her studio guests.

(Flo originally gave her talk on Dinah before the Culinary Historians of Southern California (CHSC) on March 13. We thank CHSC for providing the text for this announcement.)

Wednesday June 16, 2021
    7:00 pm
    Via ZOOM

If you are not already on our email list, then to receive zoom link, please e-mail: Culinary.Historians@gmail.com

http://www.culinaryhistorians.org
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - May 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    Post #2 - May 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm Post #2 - May 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    Have had the cookbook forever
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - July 8th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Post #3 - July 8th, 2021, 8:47 am Post #3 - July 8th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Podcast on Someone’s in the Kitchen with Dinah (Shore)

From 2008 until mid-2013, Culinary Historians programs were recorded by WBEZ via Chicago Amplified. Since then, we have recorded our programs hosted on soundcloud.

You can find a list here.

We are also on:
    Google Podcast
    iHeartRadio
    Apple Podcast
    rss feed
    RadioPublic
    SoundCloud
    Spotify
    Stitcher

These run the length of an introduction plus presentation with questions, but no food samples. :D
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - July 8th, 2021, 8:53 am
    Post #4 - July 8th, 2021, 8:53 am Post #4 - July 8th, 2021, 8:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJvIpzGM54

Culinary Historians of Chicago YouTube Channel

www.CulinaryHistorians.com
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:34 am
    Post #5 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:34 am Post #5 - July 23rd, 2021, 11:34 am
    Thank you, Kathy. I respond here because I have begun (and I shall resume) downloading the Culinary Historians' podcasts, including this one. I get it from Podbay.FM, for which you can register, and it will keep track of which podcasts you follow have new episodes.
    I am registered there. I do not believe you can see exactly which podcasts I follow, which may be better for some members of LTHF. :lol:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #6 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:22 pm
    Post #6 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:22 pm Post #6 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:22 pm
    HI,

I checked to find Culinary Historians of Chicago is already there.

I know where I have registered and have found over time it migrates through portals I never anticipated. It's yet another mystery of the internet.

Thanks for asking.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more