LTH Home

LTH North Lunch - Arby's Niles May 27, 2021 12:30pm

LTH North Lunch - Arby's Niles May 27, 2021 12:30pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • LTH North Lunch - Arby's Niles May 27, 2021 12:30pm

Post #1 - May 25th, 2021, 8:17 pm
    Post #1 - May 25th, 2021, 8:17 pm Post #1 - May 25th, 2021, 8:17 pm
    I'm calling an audible here, with the expectation that potato cakes are gone on June 1. I'm going to call tomorrow to see who has those blessed triangular spuds.

My #1 choice is Arlington Heights, 100 W Rand, that might be a bit westerly for the group -- couldn't confirm Potato Cakes

#2 is Morton Grove, 7001 W Dempster, a bit south for some -- we have a winner

#3 is North Chicago, 2539 Green Bay, quite far for me. -- couldn't confirm Potato Cakes

Who's up for The Meats?
    Last edited by JoelF on May 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - May 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm
    Post #2 - May 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm Post #2 - May 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm
    Hi,

I cannot due to a prior commitment.

From all the discussion on Arby's, I may give it a try with a new appreciation.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - May 25th, 2021, 10:29 pm
    Post #3 - May 25th, 2021, 10:29 pm Post #3 - May 25th, 2021, 10:29 pm
    JoelF wrote:Who's up for The Meats?

Here's a helpful definition from Urban Dictionary. Enjoy!

The meats

To have diarrhea after eating at the fast food chain Arbys. To go to the bathroom and evacuate your bowels in liquid beef and cheddar form.

It can also be used if you have a lot of belly pain and have to go constantly to the bathroom after.

Man that beef and cheddar from Arbys last night gave me the meats. I'm going to have to stay home and work from the toilet tomorrow.
  • Post #4 - May 25th, 2021, 10:45 pm
    Post #4 - May 25th, 2021, 10:45 pm Post #4 - May 25th, 2021, 10:45 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Who's up for The Meats?

Here's a helpful definition from Urban Dictionary. Enjoy!

The meats

To have diarrhea after eating at the fast food chain Arbys. To go to the bathroom and evacuate your bowels in liquid beef and cheddar form.

It can also be used if you have a lot of belly pain and have to go constantly to the bathroom after.

Man that beef and cheddar from Arbys last night gave me the meats. I'm going to have to stay home and work from the toilet tomorrow.

:lol: ROFLMAO! :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - May 26th, 2021, 11:37 am
    Post #5 - May 26th, 2021, 11:37 am Post #5 - May 26th, 2021, 11:37 am
    Hi,

If this event was on Friday, I could do this easily.

I hope people are not put off by the last two posts.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - May 26th, 2021, 1:20 pm
    Post #6 - May 26th, 2021, 1:20 pm Post #6 - May 26th, 2021, 1:20 pm
    I am not put off at all.....might actually incentivize me to join in on something that otherwise I have no interest in. Always like to challenge my innards.

I hope that the EC realizes this does not count as the June meeting.

-Will
  • Post #7 - May 26th, 2021, 1:42 pm
    Post #7 - May 26th, 2021, 1:42 pm Post #7 - May 26th, 2021, 1:42 pm
    WillG wrote:I am not put off at all.....might actually incentivize me to join in on something that otherwise I have no interest in. Always like to challenge my innards.

You want a challenge? Meet the Meat Mountain.

I sincerely hope someone orders this.
  • Post #8 - May 26th, 2021, 2:11 pm
    Post #8 - May 26th, 2021, 2:11 pm Post #8 - May 26th, 2021, 2:11 pm
    I've tried to call all three -- can't get anyone in Arlington Heights or North Chicago to pick up the phone. The Arby's website lists Potato Cakes as available at all three, but the Morton Grove place vocally confirmed they're still serving them.

I hope to see you on Dempster tomorrow.

And no, I wouldn't count this as the June meeting, especially with this short of notice.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - May 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    Post #9 - May 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm Post #9 - May 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    A slight mystery from the Arby's Doordash menu, which does include potato cakes at the Grayslake location, at least. The potato cake replacements, crinkle fries, are seasoned with "fine kosher salt." What the heck is fine kosher salt? Wouldn't that just be fine salt, sometimes sold as popcorn salt or cheese salt? And the crinkle fries sound pretty mundane, like nobody would choose Arby's for a special lunch group because of the crinkle fries.

Unfortunately the Doordash menu doesn't include the Meat Mountain. I was curious about price.
  • Post #10 - May 26th, 2021, 8:32 pm
    Post #10 - May 26th, 2021, 8:32 pm Post #10 - May 26th, 2021, 8:32 pm
    Sorry, but, like Cathy2, I'm already booked -- Midwest History Conference. So hoping for next month. But really sorry to not be able to join you, because I haven't been to an Arby's in maybe 25-30 years, so I'd like to get back. (And does anyone know if they'll be doing venison or elk again this year?)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #11 - May 26th, 2021, 9:11 pm
    Post #11 - May 26th, 2021, 9:11 pm Post #11 - May 26th, 2021, 9:11 pm
    HI,

When I do pass through St. Louis area once or twice a year, I angle for a Lion's Choice sandwich. In many people's opinion, they offer the sandwich Arby's once offered.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - May 26th, 2021, 10:59 pm
    Post #12 - May 26th, 2021, 10:59 pm Post #12 - May 26th, 2021, 10:59 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I hope people are not put off by the last two posts.

Yeah, I certainly didn't intend to rain on the parade. I just thought that the excerpt from Urban Dictionary that Peter posted was hysterical. I've occasionally enjoyed Arby's over the years -- loved it in the 1980's -- and the Dempster store is close to my office. That said, my most recent meal there, in January of 2020, was pretty effing horrible. Brought a fairly sizable bag of food back to the office and most of went unfinished. Sadly, the potato cakes didn't seem anything close to what I remember them being but there could be a number of reasons for that.

My most recent trip before then was in September of 2015, while we were on the road. So, my latest meals there haven't exactly inspired repeat visits.

If I end up working at the office tomorrow (50/50), I'll try to join.

=R=
  • Post #13 - May 26th, 2021, 11:01 pm
    Post #13 - May 26th, 2021, 11:01 pm Post #13 - May 26th, 2021, 11:01 pm
    JoelF wrote:I've tried to call all three -- can't get anyone in Arlington Heights or North Chicago to pick up the phone. The Arby's website lists Potato Cakes as available at all three, but the Morton Grove place vocally confirmed they're still serving them.

I hope to see you on Dempster tomorrow.

And no, I wouldn't count this as the June meeting, especially with this short of notice.

Exact address is 7001 W Dempster St, Niles, IL 60714.

Dempster, south side of the street, just west of Waukegan.

=R=
  • Post #14 - May 27th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Post #14 - May 27th, 2021, 10:12 am Post #14 - May 27th, 2021, 10:12 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yeah, I certainly didn't intend to rain on the parade.

Same here. I haven't had even a bite of Arby's for over ten years, maybe twenty, so I have no meaningful opinion on their food. I stumbled on the Urban Dictionary entry when I was looking for information on the Meat Mountain and was unable to resist sharing the very juvenile humor. It never occured to me that anyone might decide against attending because of something like that. Indeed it might have increased participation by at least one.

I truly hope someone will give the Meat Mountain a try. If the staff isn't familiar with it, you could show them the 'secret menu' section of Arby's website (linked above). Incidentally the food stylists involved in that photo deserve a world of credit. I have a feeling the real sandwich doesn't look exactly like that. I have never so eagerly anticipated a lunch report as this one!

tjr wrote:Unfortunately the Doordash menu doesn't include the Meat Mountain. I was curious about price.

I don't know how up-to-date the information is, but it looks like it's still available, upon request only, and it sounds like the price may possibly still be $10.
  • Post #15 - May 27th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    Post #15 - May 27th, 2021, 12:33 pm Post #15 - May 27th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    So....did anyone go today? I'm willing to give Arby's Niles a try tomorrow if anyone else is game.

The Original Esteemed Coordinator - LTH North Lunch Group
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #16 - May 27th, 2021, 2:57 pm
    Post #16 - May 27th, 2021, 2:57 pm Post #16 - May 27th, 2021, 2:57 pm
    It was only me, alas. I got there just before 12:30, and left around 1PM.

I dined inside, as they have no outside tables, and I was the only one in the dining area.
    Mask compliance appeared to be 100% among those waiting for their orders. The condiment dispensers are not present, avoiding the hazard of following those who were slurping down horsey sauce straight from the nozzle, but they were generous with the sauce packets.

Although I was intrigued by the idea of their '13 Hour Smoked Brisket' I stuck to my old standard, the Beef and Cheddar. Are there any other fast food sandwiches served on an onion roll? That's one of the big selling points of the BaC for me. It's certainly not the meat which has the texture of shaved hot dog, somewhat springy, lacking much flavor other than salt. The cheddar sauce is mild, much like your typical nacho sauce, and there's a schmear of (I think) the standard Arby's Sauce.

But it's the Horsey Sauce that rules - for me Arby's is about that onion roll, and unique condiments. The too-sweet Arby's Sauce (wtf is that stuff supposed to be anyway? It certainly doesn't qualify as barbecue sauce, closer to French dressing), and Horsey Sauce.
    The potato cakes -- for now -- come in 2, 3 and 4-packs, at $1.99, $2.49, and $3.29 -- anyone buying the four-pack over the 3 needs to go back to 3rd-grade math. They're outwardly pretty similar to the McD's hash brown, a little thinner (not 100% sure), and definitely the exterior has a more uniform, less craggy texture. But they were crisp and fresh from the fryer, exactly what I expected, and that tater-tot-like interior. A little tangy sauce (I alternated bites with each packet), and down the hatch.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - May 27th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    Post #17 - May 27th, 2021, 3:55 pm Post #17 - May 27th, 2021, 3:55 pm
    JoelF wrote:It was only me, alas. I got there just before 12:30, and left around 1PM.
    Although I was intrigued by the idea of their '13 Hour Smoked Brisket' I stuck to my old standard, the Beef and Cheddar.

If you ever go back, I would give the smoked brisket a try. As I mentioned up thread, that is one of my 2 go to sandwiches at Arby's which I have, with some regularity, when I am in small town Midwest America.
  • Post #18 - May 29th, 2021, 9:04 am
    Post #18 - May 29th, 2021, 9:04 am Post #18 - May 29th, 2021, 9:04 am
    Crap, I missed this. I would have probably gone with more notice but I wasn't online yesterday or much the day before.

lougord99 wrote:If you ever go back, I would give the smoked brisket a try. As I mentioned up thread, that is one of my 2 go to sandwiches at Arby's which I have, with some regularity, when I am in small town Midwest America.
    I don't mind hitting Arby's in small towns like Alliance, Nebraska and Torrington, Wyoming or anywhere in the rural Midwest.

Here's a little story. I was approaching Alliance back in June 2019 on Nebraska Route 2 around 3 or 4:00 (yes, I really took this road on purpose). I knew there was an Arby's there and I was hungry. It had been a beautiful sunny day but as I approached storm clouds were popping up in the west. When I was close to Alliance I saw what looked like a rope tornado. I took a few minutes of video as I sped towards it, thinking to myself, "What the hell are you doing?! Don't go towards it!" But at the same time another voice saying, "Get closer! This is AWESOME!!!" I wasn't sure what it really was. It wasn't a dust devil, but it may not have been a tornado either. I think they are called landspouts. Either way, there were now storms all around me (no tornado warnings yet). I got to Alliance to Arby's just in time before it started pouring. I was more concerned with the possibility of big hail damaging my car (a little later in my trip, I was caught in a storm with ping pong ball sized hail in Castle Rock, Colorado). Luckily I quickly found shelter for the car. Anyway, Arby's was my refuge that warm June afternoon. And yes, I always ask them to make me a fresh order of potato cakes. Now that I am thinking about that trip, I want to get out there now since the 2 year anniversary is next week. I did 15 days driving through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota and a little Montana before coming home through Minnesota and Wisconsin. Even hit a Maid-Rite in Davenport and later one in St. Cloud.
  • Post #19 - July 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
    Post #19 - July 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm Post #19 - July 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
    Potato cakes were alive and well at Arby's outside of Indianapolis back on June 9th.
  • Post #20 - November 10th, 2021, 6:43 am
    Post #20 - November 10th, 2021, 6:43 am Post #20 - November 10th, 2021, 6:43 am
    Arby’s fries go 80 proof with new limited-edition Curly Fry and Crinkle Fry Vodka

https://www.nrn.com/quick-service/arby- ... -fry-vodka
  • Post #21 - November 10th, 2021, 8:09 am
    Post #21 - November 10th, 2021, 8:09 am Post #21 - November 10th, 2021, 8:09 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Arby’s fries go 80 proof with new limited-edition Curly Fry and Crinkle Fry Vodka

https://www.nrn.com/quick-service/arby- ... -fry-vodka

I'd rather a potato cake gin.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #22 - January 11th, 2022, 6:20 am
    Post #22 - January 11th, 2022, 6:20 am Post #22 - January 11th, 2022, 6:20 am
    Beginning Monday through February 6, Arby's is selling what it deems the "spiciest sandwich on the market," called the new Diablo Dare. It costs $5.99 and also includes a 12-ounce vanilla milkshake for free.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/10/business ... 1900805416
  • Post #23 - January 11th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Post #23 - January 11th, 2022, 8:07 am Post #23 - January 11th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Beginning Monday through February 6, Arby's is selling what it deems the "spiciest sandwich on the market," called the new Diablo Dare. It costs $5.99 and also includes a 12-ounce vanilla milkshake for free.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/10/business ... 1900805416

It's definitely caught my attention (but I'll see if they'll give me chocolate or jamocha)
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more