LTH Home

BBQ Pop Up at Big Ed's, Waukegan

BBQ Pop Up at Big Ed's, Waukegan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • BBQ Pop Up at Big Ed's, Waukegan

Post #1 - July 18th, 2021, 8:57 am
    Post #1 - July 18th, 2021, 8:57 am Post #1 - July 18th, 2021, 8:57 am
    Big Ed's BBQ is with Wanake Keida.

Big Ed Nation!!!! This is Wanake (Kia) someone contacted me a couple of weeks ago and told me about this young lady and some struggles she was having with opening a bbq restaurant in round lake. The deal fell through and she was so discouraged and ready to give up on her dream of owning her own restaurant.

Getting to know her she has endured so many hardships throughout her life. When she was a teenager she was burned in a house fire and two of her brothers lost their lives. So she has been a fighter and survivor since then. Her passion and love for cooking reminds me of me and I am inspired by her stories of struggles and triumph. So I have decided to mentor her and actively help her search for a place to open up.
    In the meantime I decided to let her do a pop up here in the parking lot at the restaurant next Monday July 19th from 11-3pm. She'll be serving rib tips, jerk chicken and beef brisket. Sides will be Mac n cheese, potato salad, baked beans and peach cobbler for dessert.

She said Ed, I don't understand how you are going to let me do this at your place and we serve the same type of food and I told her that while we may be in competition we're not competing. I'm going to provide all of the meat, poultry, packaging and all of the food will be prepared and cooked here at the restaurant and Kia and her team will be out in the parking serving the public fresh, homemade delicious BBQ. I will be on site to help out and assist her and her team.

I need everyone to share this post and come out and support this young lady who is a determined, driven survivor. I'm also going to buy $1000 worth of dinners so a lot of you will get to try her food for free. So I look forward to seeing you all next Monday to encourage this young lady not to give up!

Pop up located at Big Ed's (who is usually closed on Monday)
    4030 Northpoint Blvd, Waukegan, IL 60085
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 7:38 am
    Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 7:38 am Post #2 - July 19th, 2021, 7:38 am
    I love this. Wish Waukegan wasn't so far from me for a lunch break.
    -Mary
  • Post #3 - July 20th, 2021, 4:37 pm
    Post #3 - July 20th, 2021, 4:37 pm Post #3 - July 20th, 2021, 4:37 pm
    Absolutely off-topic.

Wish Gary would do another pop-up.
  • Post #4 - July 20th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    Post #4 - July 20th, 2021, 6:42 pm Post #4 - July 20th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Wish Gary would do another pop-up.

First let me say Kudos to Big Ed.

I've been thinking about another pop-up. Cooked for a friends family birthday party last week, couple of packer cut brisket, ribs, wings, rub, sauce. Might have been the best brisket I've done in years. I did it all solo, though had offers of help, wanted to see if I still had the chops, guess I do. :)

Thanks for the thought Lou, I have a few friends with restaurants who have asked me more than once to do a pop-up.

BBQ and Big Ed, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events