LTH Home

Green City Market Chef BBQ - Sept 9, 2021

Green City Market Chef BBQ - Sept 9, 2021
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Green City Market Chef BBQ - Sept 9, 2021

Post #1 - August 10th, 2021, 8:13 am
    Post #1 - August 10th, 2021, 8:13 am Post #1 - August 10th, 2021, 8:13 am
    The popular Green City Market Chef BBQ is back in person for 2021.

Green City Market is bringing Chef BBQ back — one of Chicago’s most anticipated food events of the year.

In a food festival unlike any other, Chicago’s top restaurants, brewers, winemakers, and mixologists provide tasting portions of locally-inspired dishes and craft beverages highlighting ingredients from Green City Market’s local, sustainable farmers. Tickets include all food and beverage available at the event; no need to purchase additional tickets once inside.

What's even more delicious? Your attendance benefits Green City Market’s 501(c)(3) nonprofit mission to secure the future of food by deepening support for sustainable farmers, educating our community, and expanding access to locally-grown food.

Join us for year 20 of Chef BBQ and lift up your local food system.

Details and tickets here.
    -Mary
  • Post #2 - August 10th, 2021, 8:37 am
    Post #2 - August 10th, 2021, 8:37 am Post #2 - August 10th, 2021, 8:37 am
    Thanks for posting this, Mary. It's shaping up to be a really nice event this year. And being in September instead of July, it might not take place on the hottest day of the year! :lol:

So far, we (I am a GCM board member) have 65 food/beverage stations and counting, and I expect that number will continue to grow over the next few weeks.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - August 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #3 - August 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #3 - August 20th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    A quick update on next month's Chef BBQ:

We now have 46 food stations, 21 beverage stations, and 2 stations that will offer both food & bev, for a total of 69 stations. I'm not sure but I think that number could still increase. So, we're looking pretty good for the event on 9/9. :)

=R=
  • Post #4 - September 26th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    Post #4 - September 26th, 2021, 9:33 pm Post #4 - September 26th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    How was the BBQ? Were there lots of people there? How did they do social distancing? How did they pass out the food?

Henry Brockman does a farm tour and potluck at his farm near Peoria every year. I am not sure if he had it last year, but it is coming up again on October 2nd. This year he has decided to eliminate the potluck, and he is going to have a chef cooking dinner for those people who order it. He is charging $30 per meal. Somebody that is a member of his CSA is going to be cooking the food on site. For those people that don't want to purchase a dinner they can bring their own food, or they can choose to just come to the farm tour, and not eat there. I think today was the deadline to order a dinner.
  • Post #5 - September 26th, 2021, 10:43 pm
    Post #5 - September 26th, 2021, 10:43 pm Post #5 - September 26th, 2021, 10:43 pm
    NFriday wrote:How was the BBQ? Were there lots of people there? How did they do social distancing? How did they pass out the food?

The event was a success on a number of levels. I don't know the final numbers but I think there were about 50% of the attendees as in previous, recent years and about 70% of the number of stalls. Other than the obvious, that it happened in September rather than July might also be partially responsible for the decline. In any case, since this is the GCM's biggest annual fundraiser, it was great to see so many attendees. The revenue generated by this event goes a long way to funding many of the Market's important farm-support programs and initiatives.

As an attendee, I felt quite safe. First of all, it was an outdoor event. This had a huge impact on how safe the event felt. Secondly, attendees had to verify their vaccination status or a provide proof of a negative covid test result in order to enter. This diffused a lot of my potential apprehension.

The stalls themselves were more spread out than in previous years. Just as in previous years, attendees could walk around, grab food/beverage from the stalls of their choice and eat or drink it at their leisure. And as always, there were no shared plates, glasses or tableware -- so, no salient concerns on that front. This is purely anecdotal but I never felt crowded or crammed into any areas where I felt even remotely compromised or nervous. It seemed that people just kind of kept their distance from each other in a courteous, non-alarmed way. The weather -- sunny (until dark), mid 70's and lightly breeze -- was perfect and the vibe was very friendly and mellow.

Personally, I loved the September date and hope it becomes permanent. Not only was the weather great (yes it can still be hot in September but there are better odds of it not being a scorcher) but I loved that tomatoes were so prominently featured by many of the chefs. You don't get that in July!

=R=
  • Post #6 - September 27th, 2021, 5:37 am
    Post #6 - September 27th, 2021, 5:37 am Post #6 - September 27th, 2021, 5:37 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I loved that tomatoes were so prominently featured by many of the chefs. You don't get that in July!

I was also happy to see less pork belly and braised squares of mystery meat.

Event was well managed, as Ronnie mentioned, everyone seemingly had a good time, including me and the bride, thanks Ronnie, and I got to chat with folks I had not seen in a while.

Best bites were Big Jones blood sausage and Bang Bang pie offering, I think peach crumble with ice cream. Soul and Smoke brisket would have been in the top few though the slightly too big bun and gooey l*quid sm*ke BBQ sauce ruined most of the pleasure. Smoque's pork tenderloin was tasty and Barry S is always a charmer.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more