Slicing into Chicago's Pizza History, Dec 8 @ 7:00 PM
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Slicing into Chicago's Pizza History, Dec 8 @ 7:00 PM

Post #1 - October 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm
    Post #1 - October 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm Post #1 - October 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm
    Culinary Historians of Chicago

Slicing into Chicago’s Pizza History

Doesn’t everybody love Pizza?

Well, even if you don’t, you might want to tune into our program when award-wining food reporter Steve Dolinsky delivers a luscious serving of pizza history. Here’s what’s on Steve’s menu:

- The three waves of pizza in Chicago – Post WWII, 1970s and then the pandemic.
    - How oven technology helped shape the types of pizza that were made in Chicago.
    - How one cook changed the shape (and height) of deep-dish, based on a Mississippi biscuit recipe.
    - The 10 distinctive styles of pizza in Chicago, and also how the most popular style (at least among locals) tends to be thin, tavern style rather than deep-dish.

Biography:

Steve Dolinsky has won 13 James Beard Awards for his TV, radio and podcast work.

He is currently the Food Reporter at NBC 5 (Chicago), where his “Food Guy” reports air every Thursday night at 10 p.m. As the Food Reporter for ABC 7 (Chicago) for 17 years, his “Hungry Hound” reports covered a range of food and drink-related topics. Not only did he produce and report two stories each week, he also shot and edited them (and continues to do so at NBC 5).

Steve is also the Producer and Host of “Pizza City” – a bi-monthly podcast featuring some of the greatest pizza makers in the nation, and was previously Co-Creator and Co-Host of The Feed Podcast with Chef Rick Bayless (which garnered a Beard award in 2015 for best podcast), a weekly show that ran from 2014 to 2019. He has also written food and travel stories for the Travel sections of the Chicago Tribune and Canada’s Globe and Mail, and was a frequent contributor to Public Radio International’s “The World.”

Steve is the author of “Pizza City, U.S.A.: 101 Reasons Why Chicago is America’s Greatest Pizza Town” (Northwestern University Press). In order to write the book, he visited 185 places in Chicagoland over the course of six solid months of eating. His “Pizza City U.S.A. Tours” began in May of 2018. Steve curates four tours throughout the city, each one giving guests a chance to sample four styles of pizza in three hours. There is one bus tour (usually led by Steve) and three walking tours every weekend. More info at pizzacityusa.com. His second book, “The Ultimate Chicago Pizza Guide: A History of Squares & Slices in the Windy City” is due out in the fall of 2021.

On the consulting side, Steve started Culinary Communications, a food industry- focused media training company that works with chefs and other food and beverage professionals outside of Chicago, teaching them how to prepare for and handle all kinds of media exposure. He also works with real estate companies to curate spaces involving food and drink clients, organizes and leads virtual pizza and/or cocktail experiences for companies and works with individual clients to curate unique culinary experiences.

Since 2009, Steve has been one of 26 Academy Chairs for the World’s 50 Best Restaurants, recruiting and overseeing 40 voters in the Mid-USA/Canada region. He has spoken and/or moderated at several industry events, including the James Beard Awards, the Food & Wine Magazine Classic in Aspen and the New York City Wine and Food Festival.

Steve volunteers his time for charitable organizations in the Chicago area that focus on hunger relief, including Share Our Strength and Meals on Wheels.

Before joining ABC 7, Steve was Executive Producer and Host of “Good Eating.” The weekly, half-hour show aired on CLTV, the 24-hour cable news channel owned by The Tribune Company. He produced and hosted 52 shows per year for 8 years, garnering six Beard Awards for his work there.

You can follow his eating adventures on Twitter and Instagram @stevedolinsky, as well as his website: stevedolinsky.com

Wednesday December 8, 2021
    7:00 pm Central Time
    Via ZOOM

If you are not already on our email list, then to receive zoom link, please e-mail: Culinary.Historians@gmail.com
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - October 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm
    Post #2 - October 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm Post #2 - October 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm
    Great! Looking forward to this. Hope I can find out if The Feed Podcast will come back.
  • Post #3 - October 13th, 2021, 7:08 pm
    Post #3 - October 13th, 2021, 7:08 pm Post #3 - October 13th, 2021, 7:08 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Great! Looking forward to this. Hope I can find out if The Feed Podcast will come back.

Please participate to ask!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - October 14th, 2021, 6:34 pm
    Post #4 - October 14th, 2021, 6:34 pm Post #4 - October 14th, 2021, 6:34 pm
    I will definitely make this one, Cath. Easier to make it by Zoom--let's be honest--although I would have loved to tee it up with Dolinsky in person. Met him when he did a really solid Hound segment at one of our fave joints, Bonta in Lincolnshire. Copping the parlance of my Boston cousins when describing someone they like, Dolinsky is 'a good sh*t'.
  • Post #5 - October 14th, 2021, 7:55 pm
    Post #5 - October 14th, 2021, 7:55 pm Post #5 - October 14th, 2021, 7:55 pm
    jnm123 wrote:I will definitely make this one, Cath. Easier to make it by Zoom--let's be honest--although I would have loved to tee it up with Dolinsky in person. Met him when he did a really solid Hound segment at one of our fave joints, Bonta in Lincolnshire. Copping the parlance of my Boston cousins when describing someone they like, Dolinsky is 'a good sh*t'.

We can compare notes the next time we meet. :D

I will be glad you can make it to this program.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - November 22nd, 2021, 11:09 pm
    Post #6 - November 22nd, 2021, 11:09 pm Post #6 - November 22nd, 2021, 11:09 pm
    Email sent!
  • Post #7 - November 23rd, 2021, 11:06 pm
    Post #7 - November 23rd, 2021, 11:06 pm Post #7 - November 23rd, 2021, 11:06 pm
    abe_froeman wrote:Email sent!

And responded to!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CAthy
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - December 8th, 2021, 10:25 pm
    Post #8 - December 8th, 2021, 10:25 pm Post #8 - December 8th, 2021, 10:25 pm
    There was a large crowd tonight, and everybody really seemed to enjoy it. Does anybody have any idea what restaurant Steve was referring to though when somebody asked him why it was not included in the book, and he said that he did not consider what they served to be pizza?
  • Post #9 - December 8th, 2021, 11:53 pm
    Post #9 - December 8th, 2021, 11:53 pm Post #9 - December 8th, 2021, 11:53 pm
    NFriday wrote:There was a large crowd tonight, and everybody really seemed to enjoy it. Does anybody have any idea what restaurant Steve was referring to though when somebody asked him why it was not included in the book, and he said that he did not consider what they served to be pizza?

The answer is just past 46:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sOKcEsu-M8

Cathy2

• Post #10 - December 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm
    Post #10 - December 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm Post #10 - December 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm
    Podcast on Slicing into Chicago's Pizza History

From 2008 until mid-2013, Culinary Historians programs were recorded by WBEZ via Chicago Amplified. Since then, we have recorded our programs hosted on soundcloud.

You can find a list here.

We are also on:
    Google Podcast
    iHeartRadio
    Apple Podcast
    rss feed
    RadioPublic
    SoundCloud
    Spotify
    Stitcher

These run the length of an introduction plus presentation with questions.
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - December 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm
    Post #11 - December 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm Post #11 - December 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm
    I honestly did not expect we would have somebody from Tokyo, Japan on the Zoom group chat {considering the time zone difference}; but when this occured, and a query was raised about pizza beyond Chicago, I had to throw-in eating at Devil Craft Kanda, and the Shakey's Pizza in Yokohama. Both of them I remarked about on FourSquare (when I was active there). There is a photograph of me from one evening at Devil Craft when I did not make a reservation (because Kanda was the 'escape' contingency when three venues in Ikebukuro failed :cry:); staff found a seat for me in the stairwell. :P
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #12 - December 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm
    Post #12 - December 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm Post #12 - December 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm
    The participant from Japan was Elizabeth Andoh, an American whose lived in Japan for years and once was Gourmet magazine's correspondent.

Your comments about Shakey's pizza in Japan, then later learned it is in the Phillipines, too, was a pleasant surprise to Steve Dolinsky. It was the pizza he grew up on.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - June 8th, 2022, 8:23 pm
    Post #13 - June 8th, 2022, 8:23 pm Post #13 - June 8th, 2022, 8:23 pm
    I spent time Wednesday inspecting events on on-line ticket sales pages, and will make appropriate posts about the results in those threads.
    I ensue in this thread, because it is being organized by Star Events, and presented by Steve Dolinsky.
    It is the Pizza City Fest Chicago: Sat.-Sun. 23-24 July 2022: 12:01 pm-9:00 pm each day:
    Plumbers Hall
    1395 W. Randolph St.
    Chicago, IL. 60607

"Premium" tickets have already sold out. :cry:
    General Admission tickets (either day) $63.25.
    Two-day General Admission tickets are $94.90.
    N.B.: Beverages are an extra cost.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more