LTH Home

New Year at Small HH Food Exchange Meier's Tavern 1/9 6:30pm

New Year at Small HH Food Exchange Meier's Tavern 1/9 6:30pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • New Year at Small HH Food Exchange Meier's Tavern 1/9 6:30pm

Post #1 - December 25th, 2021, 11:48 am
    Post #1 - December 25th, 2021, 11:48 am Post #1 - December 25th, 2021, 11:48 am
    Bars of the Western World #2: Meier's Tavern, Glenview is a thread started by Hammond when LTH was perhaps six weeks old. Nr706 and Moetchandon have been there once. I have passed it many times and never went inside. Challenging ourselves for the New Year by visiting this old chestnut of a bar and hope we get as many tater tots hoped for, because people do count them!

JoelF wrote:Are you aware that Meier's Tavern was one of the prime locations for a short-lived evening soap called "Winnetka Road"? I never watched it, but they supposedly used exteriors in the credits, and may have duplicated the look of the interior.

If you ever saw the series from 1994 called Winnetka Road, here is the first episode for your amusement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHGuLCkN3k

So, the Small Household Food Exchange will convene for the first time in 2022 on Sunday, January 9 at 6:30 pm at Meier’s Tavern, 235 Lake Street, Glenview, IL.

If you’re not into exchanging food, join the group anyway as a way to celebrate the New Year!

The Small Household Food Exchange, among other things, is an opportunity for like-minded folks to gather, share the ordering power of a group, and describe and show off their cooking skills.

So, if you want to, get to work cooking dishes to share with other LTHers. (And don’t worry about the questionable rumors about LTH palate sophistication — often the simplest dishes are the best.)

Or don’t … maybe you just want an excuse to try an interesting restaurant … everyone’s welcome to join for the three c's — camaraderie, conviviality and companionship.

We’ll cap attendance at 12 (which may be optimistic). Those who exchange dishes will have first priority, but they should post by Wednesday January 5, to allow cooks to plan, shop and create.

The Basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we hope some will bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.
    Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come and bring a dish that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance for this gathering at 12, (food exchange participants at 8), so that, this month, participants are never making more than 8 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). Look for this on the label:

You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread, ideally about one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Attending:

Dinner and Exchange
    nr706 — Toad in the Hole
    Cathy2 — Braised Lamb Ribs with Apricots and Onions
    moetchandon - Shepard's Pie

Dinner and sparkling company (no need to sparkle if you don't feel like it)
    anyone brave enough to join us, like GAF

Save the date!
    Sunday, January 9, 2021, 6:30 pm

Meier’s Tavern
    235 Lake Ave
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 724-0477
    http://meierstavern.com/
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - December 25th, 2021, 9:32 pm
    Post #2 - December 25th, 2021, 9:32 pm Post #2 - December 25th, 2021, 9:32 pm
    I'm in. In my 25 years in Glenview, I have eaten at Meier's once. Close your eyes and you just might be in Wisconsin. Or keep them open and the same applies.

Is that an endorsement? Join us on January 9th and find out.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #3 - December 26th, 2021, 7:58 am
    Post #3 - December 26th, 2021, 7:58 am Post #3 - December 26th, 2021, 7:58 am
    I’m in for exchange and dinner. I plan on making Shepherds pie.
  • Post #4 - January 6th, 2022, 11:23 am
    Post #4 - January 6th, 2022, 11:23 am Post #4 - January 6th, 2022, 11:23 am
    HI,

I have lamb ribs in the freezer. I am likely to make Braised Lamb Ribs with Apricots and Onions.

Braising keeps the house feeling warm and provides a delightful odor.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #5 - January 9th, 2022, 3:03 pm
    Post #5 - January 9th, 2022, 3:03 pm Post #5 - January 9th, 2022, 3:03 pm
    Hi,

I made a reservation under the original name of Cathy.

I had the choice of upstairs or downstairs, when I asked about the difference I was advised, "Three stairs." More specifically downstairs is the bar and upstairs is a little quieter.

I went with upstairs, but if whoever gets there early prefers the vibe of downstairs, please change.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more