LTH Home

A Night at the Hawk and Sword Tavern

A Night at the Hawk and Sword Tavern
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • A Night at the Hawk and Sword Tavern

Post #1 - February 17th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    Post #1 - February 17th, 2022, 2:58 pm Post #1 - February 17th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    I saw on FB that LTHers boudreaulicious and Laikom are working on an American Legion fundraiser that sounds just wonderful... food, drink, music, and even a medieval mystery to solve (other LTHers Caitlin Abumoghli and Adam Haus will be performing, but I don't know their LTH handles, I'm sorry!). It's on Saturday, Feb. 26 at the Tattler, 4355 N Western.

Chouxfly and I discussed it, and really want to join in the fun, but I am immunocompromised and just not quite yet ready to risk potential exposure just yet, so we very sadly will not be participating. However, I figured I could at least help spread the word.

The FB link seems to have a longer and more detailed description, but if you aren't on the Meta train, I've also included a link to the Eventbrite ticket page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1919789 ... f=newsfeed

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-night-at ... 8330079877
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #2 - February 20th, 2022, 2:48 am
    Post #2 - February 20th, 2022, 2:48 am Post #2 - February 20th, 2022, 2:48 am
    This appears to be the brainchild of Laikom, who is quite a creative person and cook.

Dinner Menu
    Beast and Barley Stew ---- lamb - barley - leek - dill - garlic.

White Bean Pottage (v) --- navy bean, kale, rosemary, garlic oil.

Goblin Gruel --- green peas - smoked meats- root vegetables

A Dish of Fishe ----- cod fish - dark ale, onion

Fungar en Croute(v) ------ mmushroom hand-pies

Boar in Blanket ----- housemade sausage wrapped in puff pastry

Bread & Butter ----- Homemade rustic bread for dipping in the broth

For The Swete Toothe ---- Cakes of Carrots

Cocktails
    Healing Draught of Minor Wounds -

Potion of Bulls Strength

Philter of Intellect

Get Your Medieval Costumes Ready!
    It is the year 973. The aging kingdom of Tattler has risen to prominence not just due to the strength of their sword arm, but to the generosity of their souls. Years ago, Lord LaFleur received a grant of land from the house of Hawke. At the time LaFleur received the land, it was overrun with Doeksyns, small pasty creatures with chaotic natures and no sense of self-preservation. After befriending these creatures, the land was successfully settled and has become a strong kingdom.

The Hawk and Sword is a tavern on the outskirts of the city, located between the holdings of two powerful nobles: The LaFleurs and the Hawkes. The two houses were once nearly at war, but when King Dillard the Diligent recently bestowed upon Shawn LeFleur the title of marquis, The House of Hawke has chosen to reconcile their differences.

And so, on the night of the Waxing Crescent Moon, people from across the land are gathering at the Hawk and Sword to celebrate news of LaFleur receiving the title of Marquis, delivered by an emissary of the House of Hawke. A grand party is planned with magical Doeksyn brews, and visitors from all over the realm.

Not everyone is happy for LaFleur’s ascension, however. Rumor is that assassins are among the crowd.

Who knows what the night holds? So drink and be merry! Wager on the fights, but watch your back and protect your lord… for foul machinations are afoot...

I just bought a ticket, so I guess I will find out!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - February 21st, 2022, 10:00 pm
    Post #3 - February 21st, 2022, 10:00 pm Post #3 - February 21st, 2022, 10:00 pm
    I'm in, looking forward to seeing LTHers and supporting a good cause.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #4 - February 26th, 2022, 11:06 pm
    Post #4 - February 26th, 2022, 11:06 pm Post #4 - February 26th, 2022, 11:06 pm
    mbh wrote:I'm in, looking forward to seeing LTHers and supporting a good cause.

I'm sorry to have missed you this evening. I hope all is well.

This was a delightful evening of well crafted food. I am sure the drinks were terrific, too, though I stuck with a Coke.

I especially liked the Beast and Barley Stew (lamb - barley - leek - dill - garlic) and A Dish of Fishe (cod fish - dark ale, onion). Who would not like Laikom's personally crafted bratwurst enrobed by pastry made by his wife. What really got me to consider attending was the Fungar en Croute(v) with a mushroom filling including dried boletes.

People really got into their characters, while I felt like the lead in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I think I read the book by Mark Twain or is it from seeing all the film renditions. Basicly, I came dressed as Cathy, circa 2022.

There were a few other LTH friends there, though when comparing notes we guestimated not having seen each other in three years.

Consider going next time, it was indeed quite fun.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more