LTH Home

Moti Glenview, Small Household Food Exchange 3/12 5:30pm

Moti Glenview, Small Household Food Exchange 3/12 5:30pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Moti Glenview, Small Household Food Exchange 3/12 5:30pm

Post #1 - February 14th, 2023, 10:23 pm
    Post #1 - February 14th, 2023, 10:23 pm Post #1 - February 14th, 2023, 10:23 pm
    The Small Household Food Exchange will get together Sunday, March 12 @ 5:30 PM, at Moti, the Indian Pizza (and other stuff) restaurant on Milwakee Rd. in Glenview.

First posted by the esteemed JoelF, the LTH reviews are here.

The Small Household Food Exchange, among other things, is an opportunity for like-minded folks to gather, share the ordering power of a group, and describe and show off their cooking skills. Or just eat interesting stuff with other LTHers.

So, if you want to, get to work cooking dishes to share with other LTHers. (And don’t worry about the rumors about LTH palate sophistication — often the simplest dishes are the best.)

Or don’t … maybe you just want an excuse to try an interesting restaurant … everyone’s welcome to join for the three c's — camaraderie, conviviality and companionship.

We’ll cap attendance at 12. Those who exchange dishes will have first priority, but they should post what they'll be bringing by Wednesday March 8, to allow cooks to plan, shop and create.

The Basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we hope some will bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 (or more) person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come and bring a dish that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance for this gathering at 12 (food exchange participants at 8, so that participants are never making more than 8 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange (or none).

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). Look for this on the label:

You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread, ideally at least one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Attending:

Dinner and Exchange
    nr706 - Crayfish Galette
    Cathy2 — Philadelphia Pepper Pot
    LHS — sausage, bean and kale soup

Dinner and sparkling company (actual sparkling not required)
    Moetchandon
    Dave148 & Merle
    Maybe you?

Save the date!
    Sunday, March 12, 2023, 5:30 pm

Moti
    610 Milwaukee Ave, Suite 160
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (224) 567-8697
    Last edited by nr706 on March 12th, 2023, 12:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
  • Post #2 - February 14th, 2023, 10:44 pm
    Post #2 - February 14th, 2023, 10:44 pm Post #2 - February 14th, 2023, 10:44 pm
    Hi,

I plan to attend.

Tentatively plan to make Philadelphia Pepper Pot.

Pepper Pot is a thick stew of beef tripe, vegetables, pepper and other seasonings. The soup was first made in West Africa and the Caribbean before being brought to North America through slave trade and made into a distinctively Philadelphian dish by colonial Black women in the 19th century. It was one of the first street foods, sold by so-called "Pepper Pot women", and was at one point the symbolic food of the city, much like the cheesesteak today

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - February 14th, 2023, 11:03 pm
    Post #3 - February 14th, 2023, 11:03 pm Post #3 - February 14th, 2023, 11:03 pm
    Just found a thread on this very useful website called LTH:

G. Washington style Pepper Pot Soup
    :D
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - February 16th, 2023, 8:11 pm
    Post #4 - February 16th, 2023, 8:11 pm Post #4 - February 16th, 2023, 8:11 pm
    Count me in, but I’m not sure what I will bring.
  • Post #5 - February 17th, 2023, 9:21 am
    Post #5 - February 17th, 2023, 9:21 am Post #5 - February 17th, 2023, 9:21 am
    Merle and I plan to sparkle!
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #6 - February 24th, 2023, 10:51 am
    Post #6 - February 24th, 2023, 10:51 am Post #6 - February 24th, 2023, 10:51 am
    I plan to come. Not sure what I will bring yet.

JennyIL
  • Post #7 - March 8th, 2023, 7:05 am
    Post #7 - March 8th, 2023, 7:05 am Post #7 - March 8th, 2023, 7:05 am
    Hi everyone,

I plan on making a sausage, bean and kale soup.
  • Post #8 - March 8th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Post #8 - March 8th, 2023, 7:25 am Post #8 - March 8th, 2023, 7:25 am
    LHS wrote:I plan on making a sausage, bean and kale soup.
    Looking forward to it!
  • Post #9 - March 12th, 2023, 12:05 pm
    Post #9 - March 12th, 2023, 12:05 pm Post #9 - March 12th, 2023, 12:05 pm
    I am unfortunately not going to be able to make it tonight - I happen the rest of you have a lovely time.

Jenny
  • Post #10 - March 12th, 2023, 12:25 pm
    Post #10 - March 12th, 2023, 12:25 pm Post #10 - March 12th, 2023, 12:25 pm
    Reservation made for six @ 5:30
  • Post #11 - March 13th, 2023, 11:02 am
    Post #11 - March 13th, 2023, 11:02 am Post #11 - March 13th, 2023, 11:02 am
    Next month on April 2nd works for me ...
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - March 18th, 2023, 6:02 pm
    Post #12 - March 18th, 2023, 6:02 pm Post #12 - March 18th, 2023, 6:02 pm
    nr706 - Crayfish Galette
    I defrosted in the fridge, then reheated for about 15 minutes in a 325 oven. It was crispy and delicious! Everyone enjoyed the source of the crayfish and especially the decorator crayfish on top. Is the size of that typical of what you use or are they usually larger?

LHS — sausage, bean and kale soup
    My Dad especially liked your soup so much so he was disappointed there was no more the next day. I now know this is something to emulate.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - March 18th, 2023, 7:05 pm
    Post #13 - March 18th, 2023, 7:05 pm Post #13 - March 18th, 2023, 7:05 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: Is the size of that typical of what you use or are they usually larger?
    Typically, they're not as large as Louisiana Crayfish (cooler climate), but the most recent catch was somewhat smaller, thanks to nieces and nephews relocating the traps to shallower waters.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more