LTH Home

LTH 20th Anniversary Event in 2024 - planning

LTH 20th Anniversary Event in 2024 - planning
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • LTH 20th Anniversary Event in 2024 - planning

Post #1 - September 17th, 2023, 8:39 pm
    Post #1 - September 17th, 2023, 8:39 pm Post #1 - September 17th, 2023, 8:39 pm
    Perhaps in addition to, connected with, or replacing the picnic, we can have some sizable event honoring the 20th Anniversary of LTH. A weeklong Thon, perhaps? Spring 2024.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #2 - September 18th, 2023, 1:37 pm
    Post #2 - September 18th, 2023, 1:37 pm Post #2 - September 18th, 2023, 1:37 pm
    I'd be happy to help out with this, too.
  • Post #3 - September 25th, 2023, 8:54 am
    Post #3 - September 25th, 2023, 8:54 am Post #3 - September 25th, 2023, 8:54 am
    nr706 wrote:I'd be happy to help out with this, too.

Let's discuss this at the next Evanston Lunch Group gathering. All are welcome to join us for pizza and to discuss the 20th Anniversary of LTH!
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #4 - September 25th, 2023, 10:21 am
    Post #4 - September 25th, 2023, 10:21 am Post #4 - September 25th, 2023, 10:21 am
    That would be lovely. I was at the one-year anniversary, at Garden Buffet, an all-you-can-eat Korean place that no longer exists. But we're still here. Definitely worth celebrating.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #5 - September 25th, 2023, 6:01 pm
    Post #5 - September 25th, 2023, 6:01 pm Post #5 - September 25th, 2023, 6:01 pm
    I am thinking of a weeklong series of dinners in May 2024, each at a favorite, longtime LTH GNR site (ending with LTH itself), each night honoring an LTH founder/early influential member (no long embarrassing speeches, not a roast but a toast): Ronnie, Cathy2, GWiv, others to be named later, and one honoring those we remember in their absence (Stevez, e.g.). These would not be as large as the Xmas party, but would be open to whomever responds first up to the limit at the restaurant. Ending with a one afternoon Thon (a walking, culinary exploration: a Devonathon? A Chinatown thon?, or a ReneG Southside-a-thon?), ending with a toast to our beloved town.

These are just ideas to be edited and improved or deleted.
  • Post #6 - September 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    Post #6 - September 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm Post #6 - September 25th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    GAF wrote:I am thinking of a weeklong series of dinners in May 2024, each at a favorite, longtime LTH GNR site (ending with LTH itself), each night honoring an LTH founder/early influential member (no long embarrassing speeches, not a roast but a toast): Ronnie, Cathy2, GWiv, others to be named later, and one honoring those we remember in their absence (Stevez, e.g.). These would not be as large as the Xmas party, but would be open to whomever responds first up to the limit at the restaurant. Ending with a one afternoon Thon (a walking, culinary exploration: a Devonathon? A Chinatown thon?, or a ReneG Southside-a-thon?), ending with a toast to our beloved town.

This is a beautiful idea, GAF. Looking forward to seeing it take shape!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #7 - September 25th, 2023, 8:01 pm
    Post #7 - September 25th, 2023, 8:01 pm Post #7 - September 25th, 2023, 8:01 pm
    Sounds like some fascinating discussion for our next lunch group.
  • Post #8 - September 25th, 2023, 8:10 pm
    Post #8 - September 25th, 2023, 8:10 pm Post #8 - September 25th, 2023, 8:10 pm
    GAF wrote:I am thinking of a weeklong series of dinners in May 2024, each at a favorite, longtime LTH GNR site (ending with LTH itself), each night honoring an LTH founder/early influential member (no long embarrassing speeches, not a roast but a toast): Ronnie, Cathy2, GWiv, others to be named later, and one honoring those we remember in their absence (Stevez, e.g.). These would not be as large as the Xmas party, but would be open to whomever responds first up to the limit at the restaurant. Ending with a one afternoon Thon (a walking, culinary exploration: a Devonathon? A Chinatown thon?, or a ReneG Southside-a-thon?), ending with a toast to our beloved town.

But for those of us who are still working and probably couldn't make all these things, can we also have one kind of "main event" -- like the a wedding surrounded by showers.

• Post #9 - September 26th, 2023, 9:30 pm
    Post #9 - September 26th, 2023, 9:30 pm Post #9 - September 26th, 2023, 9:30 pm
    But for those of us who are still working and probably couldn't make all these things, can we also have one kind of "main event" -- like the a wedding surrounded by showers.

Something to think about, but we don't want to make this the picnic or the Xmas party.
  • Post #10 - September 27th, 2023, 9:27 am
    Post #10 - September 27th, 2023, 9:27 am Post #10 - September 27th, 2023, 9:27 am
    GAF wrote:

Something to think about, but we don't want to make this the picnic or the Xmas party.

Then spread it out over the whole month -- just tough to do it all in one week. Plus there is the issue of dying from over indulgence if we do it every night for a week.

• Post #11 - September 27th, 2023, 9:50 am
    Post #11 - September 27th, 2023, 9:50 am Post #11 - September 27th, 2023, 9:50 am
    When the 10th anniversary of the 24-a-thon occurred, it was replicated.

This was an important event for me, because I learned of Chowhound's existence.

For the 20th anniversary, there was nothing. Maybe the -athon could replicate this watershed event?

I am glad there is consideration to do this. When I have highlighted the anniversary of our founding the past few years, the crickets were deafening.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #12 - September 27th, 2023, 9:54 am
    Post #12 - September 27th, 2023, 9:54 am Post #12 - September 27th, 2023, 9:54 am
    Cathy, it will be great to have you involved in the planning. (Cynthia, too).

If we go to multiple restaurants, the ones that I was considering (the list can be changed, of course) are restaurants that have long mattered to this group (whether or not they are now considered best in class, although some still are):

Three Happiness (i.e. Little Three Happiness)
    Sun Wah
    Honey 1
    Manny's
    Aroy
    Vita & Nick's
    Birrieria Zaragoza

I was thinking diversity of cuisine and diversity of location (but we couldn't exclude either LTH or Sun Wah, could we?)
  • Post #13 - March 5th, 2024, 12:09 pm
    Post #13 - March 5th, 2024, 12:09 pm Post #13 - March 5th, 2024, 12:09 pm
    Plans are now underway for our 20th Anniversary, a dinner to honor our founding members. The current plan is for a dinner at Sun Wah in May, but the details remain to be worked out. However, anyone who has artifacts from the early days (or photos) in addition to those available on the forum, they would be appreciated. Anyone who would like to organize a "slide show" for the event will be welcome. We will certainly remember those key members who have passed on: Bruce and Stevez and perhaps others. If you have ideas for that event, please post or PM.
  • Post #14 - March 6th, 2024, 9:10 am
    Post #14 - March 6th, 2024, 9:10 am Post #14 - March 6th, 2024, 9:10 am
    GAF wrote:Plans are now underway for our 20th Anniversary, a dinner to honor our founding members. The current plan is for a dinner at Sun Wah in May, but the details remain to be worked out. However, anyone who has artifacts from the early days (or photos) in addition to those available on the forum, they would be appreciated. Anyone who would like to organize a "slide show" for the event will be welcome. We will certainly remember those key members who have passed on: Bruce and Stevez and perhaps others. If you have ideas for that event, please post or PM.
    Restoring Sun Wah's GNR status?
  • Post #15 - March 6th, 2024, 9:33 am
    Post #15 - March 6th, 2024, 9:33 am Post #15 - March 6th, 2024, 9:33 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Restoring Sun Wah's GNR status?

Even if we no longer have GNRs, that would be a graceful thing to do that night as a special thanks to Kelly. But I leave that to Ronnie and other moderators. I hadn't recalled the status of Sun Wah's GNR. It is a GNR in my heart.
  • Post #16 - March 6th, 2024, 9:39 am
  • Post #17 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:56 pm
    Post #17 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:56 pm Post #17 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:56 pm
    Nice ideas. Looking fwd to participating. Have pix to share as well.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #18 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:58 pm
    Post #18 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:58 pm Post #18 - March 22nd, 2024, 7:58 pm
    We are working on the event in May. We should have a date soon and we will work on the program.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more