LTH Home

Taste of Serbia

Taste of Serbia
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 2nd, 2021, 11:10 am
    Post #61 - October 2nd, 2021, 11:10 am Post #61 - October 2nd, 2021, 11:10 am
    Strongly suggesting order in advance:

https://www.facebook.com/StBasilOfOstro ... 3854098529
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #62 - October 10th, 2021, 9:03 pm
    Post #62 - October 10th, 2021, 9:03 pm Post #62 - October 10th, 2021, 9:03 pm
    Hi,

Mom, Dad and I visited the 'Taste of Serbia' picnic today.

It was a smaller group attending and a smaller scale than their Labor Day weekend wing ding.

We were delighted with our order of three pounds of roasted lamb, a burek dinner, several loaves of lepinje and apple strudel. My only disappointment was the absence of Krem Pita, a vanilla custard confection. The person taking my order agreed this was a mistake.

They also did not have palachinke, acrepe often filled with cinnamon and ground walnuts. I make this at home occasionally, so it was not as big a deal.

Live music of string instruments playing folk songs and some 1950s and 60s romance music. It was fun to have some music where we all knew the words.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #63 - August 26th, 2022, 7:45 am
    Post #63 - August 26th, 2022, 7:45 am Post #63 - August 26th, 2022, 7:45 am
    It’s back on for 9/3 and 9/4. Noon to 11pm both days.

http://www.tasteofSerbia.org
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #64 - August 26th, 2022, 2:32 pm
    Post #64 - August 26th, 2022, 2:32 pm Post #64 - August 26th, 2022, 2:32 pm
    Good to know! Thanks, Dave.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #65 - July 24th, 2023, 1:52 pm
    Post #65 - July 24th, 2023, 1:52 pm Post #65 - July 24th, 2023, 1:52 pm
    Maybe it's a bit early to mention it, but here's a mention for those who want to catch the 2023 Taste of Serbia. (Plus, I love the headline :lol: . Hosted by an Orthodox church, I would expect no less.)

"Taste of Serbia Festival, Labor Day weekend
    One of Lake County’s biggest ethic festivals!"
    https://tasteofserbia.org/
    Labor Day Weekend
    Saturday, September 2 — noon to 11:00 pm
    Sunday, September 3 — noon to 11:00 pm
    Free parking and admission!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #66 - September 2nd, 2023, 5:50 pm
    Post #66 - September 2nd, 2023, 5:50 pm Post #66 - September 2nd, 2023, 5:50 pm
    Merle and I just got back from our TOS maiden voyage. Wow!

We made a meal out of a lamb dinner, pork dinner, and a meat burek. It was fantastic. Sadly, no room for the great looking desserts.

The live music in the tent and watching folks dancing made it a great experience.

I’m embarrassed to admit that it’s stupid close to the house. Why we’ve never gone before is beyond explanation. We’ll be back.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #67 - September 4th, 2023, 12:39 pm
    Post #67 - September 4th, 2023, 12:39 pm Post #67 - September 4th, 2023, 12:39 pm
    We went to TOS Sunday afternoon. Compared to a pre-pandemic visit, the fest seemed more mellow and family oriented, just what we were looking for. Unfortunately we arrived just as the bureks ran out, so we had a spit roasted pork dinner and a hungry Serb combo of sausage, skewer and burger. All excellent, especially the sides of slaw and mashed potatoes.

The Serbian slaw was a little different, coarsely chopped red and green cabbage and carrots with apparently just salt and olive oil. Not sweet at all. So good I want more. I will try making this style at home soon.
  • Post #68 - September 5th, 2023, 7:00 am
    Post #68 - September 5th, 2023, 7:00 am Post #68 - September 5th, 2023, 7:00 am
    SIMPLE WHITE CABBAGE SALAD

This is the salad as seen in the old country. Nothing like carrots or red cabbage added for color.

It is especially good with grilled meats like cevapcici.

When my family attends this event, they order one lamb dinner and plus an additional one to two pounds of lamb.

I like this variant of cabbage salad, too.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #69 - September 7th, 2023, 2:47 am
    Post #69 - September 7th, 2023, 2:47 am Post #69 - September 7th, 2023, 2:47 am
    Thanks! From the other related recipes at that site, looks like a variation is to add caraway seeds. And thinking more about the colorful aspect of TOS slaw, I wonder if they used bags of slaw mix. The texture was the little rectangles that are kinda hard to chop by hand.
  • Post #70 - September 7th, 2023, 6:46 am
    Post #70 - September 7th, 2023, 6:46 am Post #70 - September 7th, 2023, 6:46 am
    tjr wrote:Thanks! From the other related recipes at that site, looks like a variation is to add caraway seeds. And thinking more about the colorful aspect of TOS slaw, I wonder if they used bags of slaw mix. The texture was the little rectangles that are kinda hard to chop by hand.

I think they were using bagged slaw from your description.

The cabbage is usually sliced as seen in the picture. I use only white vinegar and vegetable oil, not cider vinegar nor olive oil. I never saw use of caraway seeds.

This cabbage salad is simple and delicious. It does benefit from refrigeration, though it is fine at room temperature.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #71 - September 7th, 2023, 6:54 am
    Post #71 - September 7th, 2023, 6:54 am Post #71 - September 7th, 2023, 6:54 am
    I prefer the oil/vinegar slaw. I have not heard of caraway seeds but I use celery seed in mine. It is a great compliment to the o/v.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more