LTH Home

Use google to search LTH, How To?

Use google to search LTH, How To?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Use google to search LTH, How To?

Post #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:18 pm
    Post #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:18 pm Post #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:18 pm
    Somebody recently gave a little bit of search code to write into the google search box to get it to search LTH. I shoulda written it down, but didn't. Help pls?

TIA--
    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #2 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:19 pm
    Post #2 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:19 pm Post #2 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:19 pm
    site:lthforum.com
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:31 pm
    Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:31 pm Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:31 pm
    Thenkew, thenkew. 'Zackly what I was looking for.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 5:45 pm
    Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 5:45 pm Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 5:45 pm
    Or you can just go to the recipe index page and use the Google-powered LTH search engine there.

I am noticing, however, that since the upgrade, Google's searches aren't always as effective as they were, and for some searches the local search works better. For example, recently I searched for my original post on ANZAC biscuits. Google returned no results, but the local search found it. I just tried the Google search again, and it found my most recent post containing "ANZAC," but not the earlier one. So older material seems to have fallen out of Google's index somehow.
  • Post #5 - January 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Post #5 - January 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm Post #5 - January 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Has this feature stopped working? I've tried site:lthforum.com a few times now on a Google map, and I keep getting a message saying "Your search for site:lthforum.com near [destination] did not match any locations."

Because I'm driving all over the place these days, this has been a real joy in the past. I'm hoping it's not gone. I know the search function still works, but I'm going places I've never been before, so I don't always know what suburbs are nearby and might miss out on a fabulous place. Anything near Carterville, Bolingbroke, or Lansing, IL? Or en route from Arlington Heights?

Or is this just a temporary hiccup, and Google will recognize that "site" function again any day now?
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #6 - January 30th, 2014, 12:22 pm
    Post #6 - January 30th, 2014, 12:22 pm Post #6 - January 30th, 2014, 12:22 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Has this feature stopped working? I've tried site:lthforum.com a few times now on a Google map, and I keep getting a message saying "Your search for site:lthforum.com near [destination] did not match any locations."

Because I'm driving all over the place these days, this has been a real joy in the past. I'm hoping it's not gone. I know the search function still works, but I'm going places I've never been before, so I don't always know what suburbs are nearby and might miss out on a fabulous place. Anything near Carterville, Bolingbroke, or Lansing, IL? Or en route from Arlington Heights?

Or is this just a temporary hiccup, and Google will recognize that "site" function again any day now?

It hasn't worked for me for a very long time.
  • Post #7 - January 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    Post #7 - January 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm Post #7 - January 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    I can't speak for Google or Google Maps, but clicking the "Search LTHForum" tab at the top of the page utilizes Google's search engine, so you can do your searches there and you don't even have to type in the site:lthforum.com part.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - January 30th, 2014, 1:24 pm
    Post #8 - January 30th, 2014, 1:24 pm Post #8 - January 30th, 2014, 1:24 pm
    I think Cynthia was referring to something slightly different than what Geo originally posted about in this thread. It used to be that you could use "site:lthforum.com" within a Google maps search to show you places discussed on LTH Forum that were close to a particular location. (As described by Germuska in this thread.) That feature doesn't seem to work anymore (at least for me).
  • Post #9 - January 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm
    Post #9 - January 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm Post #9 - January 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm
    Darren72 wrote:I think Cynthia was referring to something slightly different than what Geo originally posted about in this thread. It used to be that you could use "site:lthforum.com" within a Google maps search to show you places discussed on LTH Forum that were close to a particular location. (As described by Germuska in this thread.) That feature doesn't seem to work anymore (at least for me).

Yes -- thanks for clarifying. (That "site:lthforum.com" appeared early in the thread, so I thought I'd found the right thread.)

• Post #10 - January 30th, 2014, 4:43 pm
    Post #10 - January 30th, 2014, 4:43 pm Post #10 - January 30th, 2014, 4:43 pm
    I know that Google Maps got dumbed down a few versions ago. You can no longer access any maps you made using the browser version. This is a huge drawback to me when I'm traveling. I wasn't aware of the lack of search flexibility, too.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - January 30th, 2014, 5:04 pm
    Post #11 - January 30th, 2014, 5:04 pm Post #11 - January 30th, 2014, 5:04 pm
    stevez wrote:I know that Google Maps got dumbed down a few versions ago. You can no longer access any maps you made using the browser version. This is a huge drawback to me when I'm traveling. I wasn't aware of the lack of search flexibility, too.

Yeah -- that was a great asset when on the road. Sorry to see it go.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more