LTH Home

GNR Pocket Guide: There's an app for that (on your phone)

GNR Pocket Guide: There's an app for that (on your phone)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • GNR Pocket Guide: There's an app for that (on your phone)

Post #1 - November 17th, 2010, 9:47 am
    Post #1 - November 17th, 2010, 9:47 am Post #1 - November 17th, 2010, 9:47 am
    I'm a longtime lurker on the boards but a big fan of the GNR List. So much, in fact, I made an experimental, mobile device-ready version of the incredibly useful GNR Pocket Guide. My only major enhancement is a "find nearby GNRs" button that uses the GPS in your phone. It should work "reasonably well" in the browsers of most modern smartphones/devices (iPhone/iPad/iPod, Android, Blackberry, Palm).

It's not in any app store -- it's just on the web. For free.

Here's my post on my blog for more information:
    http://smithclay.posterous.com/introducing-lthforumcom-great-neighborhood-re

Or, you can access it directly at (from your mobile browser):
    http://lthgnrguide.appspot.com

Problems? Suggestions? Bad GNR info? It's still a work in progress and I'll be making changes over the next few weeks. Feel free to get in touch.
  • Post #2 - November 17th, 2010, 10:22 am
    Post #2 - November 17th, 2010, 10:22 am Post #2 - November 17th, 2010, 10:22 am
    Dude, that is brilliant! Excellent work!

I played with it on my iPhone for a bit just now, and the "Find Nearby" feature worked perfectly, the map functionality worked well, and things looked good on the screen. I bookmarked it and certainly see myself using your site quite a bit going forward, and will let you know if I encounter any bugs or annoyances.

Thanks for your hard work - your effort was well worth it, in my book.
  • Post #3 - November 17th, 2010, 11:14 am
    Post #3 - November 17th, 2010, 11:14 am Post #3 - November 17th, 2010, 11:14 am
    On behalf of the GNR Committee, thanks for doing this. I've been playing with this on my Droid and I think it's very cool. The only suggestion I would make is to add a "Get Directions" function that ties into Google Maps for Android phones. I'm not sure if a similar function would make sinse for iPhones since I don't own one.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - November 17th, 2010, 11:25 am
    Post #4 - November 17th, 2010, 11:25 am Post #4 - November 17th, 2010, 11:25 am
    stevez wrote:On behalf of the GNR Committee, thanks for doing this. I've been playing with this on my Droid and I think it's very cool. The only suggestion I would make is to add a "Get Directions" function that ties into Google Maps for Android phones. I'm not sure if a similar function would make sinse for iPhones since I don't own one.

I believe that if you simply use the full address (add on City, ST) that someone can press down for a moment on it and it'll prompt to open up in maps.

That'd probably be the easiest.

To support android more specifically, you can make the address a link like:

geo:latitude,longitude
    or geo:0,0?q=address+goes+here

very nicely done, though.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #5 - November 17th, 2010, 6:51 pm
    Post #5 - November 17th, 2010, 6:51 pm Post #5 - November 17th, 2010, 6:51 pm
    This is really handy and easy to use. Thanks for putting it together.

I'd like to suggest a "More" button for when using the "Find Nearby" function. At least on my phone, it only gives the closest 15 options.

Again, thanks.
    --Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #6 - November 18th, 2010, 8:36 am
    Post #6 - November 18th, 2010, 8:36 am Post #6 - November 18th, 2010, 8:36 am
    This is fantastic.

I'm on a Palm Pre Plus and everything seems to be working except "Find Nearby", but that's really fine since there is a GPS issue on Verizon Palms.

Thanks for putting this together!
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #7 - November 18th, 2010, 8:55 am
    Post #7 - November 18th, 2010, 8:55 am Post #7 - November 18th, 2010, 8:55 am
    I'm in the same boat as jesteinf. Everything except the "Find Nearby" works fine on my Pre Plus. (seems that the browser doesn't support w3c geolocation)

Great resource!
  • Post #8 - April 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm
    Post #8 - April 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm Post #8 - April 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm
    Mresolver has updated the GNR App with the new crop of 2011 GNRs.

Thanks!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - August 6th, 2011, 10:43 am
    Post #9 - August 6th, 2011, 10:43 am Post #9 - August 6th, 2011, 10:43 am
    Bumping this in case anyone else like me is relatively new to the iphone and didn't see this when it first appeared. This is a fabulous addition! Thanks to the developer. I had downloaded the GNR document to my iBooks library, but this is better.

However, I can't get the "nearby" feature to work -- it endlessly spirals the "load" icon without result. Thoughts?

Plus, it would be lovely to add the web address of each GNR, to facilitate checking hours, menus, etc.

And, this might be a different thread, but I'm just going to add it here, i stumbled on the GNR app when searching for how to use bookmarks (which, being a little slow, I just noticed). Where do I go to find the threads I have bookmarked? I see how to mark, but not where to access what I marked. Probably it is perfectly obvious, and I'm just being dense.
  • Post #10 - August 7th, 2011, 5:27 pm
    Post #10 - August 7th, 2011, 5:27 pm Post #10 - August 7th, 2011, 5:27 pm
    Judy H wrote:And, this might be a different thread, but I'm just going to add it here, i stumbled on the GNR app when searching for how to use bookmarks (which, being a little slow, I just noticed). Where do I go to find the threads I have bookmarked? I see how to mark, but not where to access what I marked. Probably it is perfectly obvious, and I'm just being dense.

Click on the following:

User Control Panel (top right from any screen)
    Manage Bookmarks (top left of subsequent screen)

Hope that helps,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #11 - April 15th, 2012, 8:19 am
    Post #11 - April 15th, 2012, 8:19 am Post #11 - April 15th, 2012, 8:19 am
    I literally just found this thread. What a great resource, thanks so much for pulling it together!

Can this thread be a sticky on top of the GNR section?
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=28

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more