LTH Home

Fall 2007 Nominations closed

Fall 2007 Nominations closed
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Fall 2007 Nominations closed

Post #1 - August 14th, 2007, 4:28 pm
    Post #1 - August 14th, 2007, 4:28 pm Post #1 - August 14th, 2007, 4:28 pm
    Welcome to the 2007 LTHForum Great Neighborhood Restaurant nominations.

These nominations are for new recipients. A new recipient is any place that is not currently a GNR-designee, so unsuccessful nominations, and former GNR-designees are eligible.

Nominations will be open from August 15-September 15. We have made an effort to promote them more than in the past, so it is entirely possible there will be a few new members here to join us. If you are a new member, welcome to LTHForum. Please take some time to wander around, post on your experiences, and perhaps join us at an event. We care a lot about food and the places that feed us, and enjoy meeting and eating with new people.

We hope there will be some meals arranged to further explore any nominees that seem of interest, particularly any which may be borderline based on postings so far. For that to work, you will need to make your nominations early.

If you are familiar with the program, it has not changed much, so feel free to go straight to the nominations. If not, here is as brief an overview as I can provide, and some links to more detailed discussions.

Each member may only nominate one place. It can be any place that sells prepared food, not necessarily what most would call a restaurant And the place you nominate can be as fancy or as down home as you want, though it does have to be a place that strikes a chord with the LTHForum community. In your nomination, please link to previous discussions of the place on LTHForum. Links to other information are permitted, but without some track record on LTHForum prior to the nomination, it is extremely unlikely a place will be chosen. The decision on whether it will receive the GNR designation is based entirely on the consensus of posts on the Board. There is no set formula, but I think we all have a pretty good feel for what places are of interest and generally popular with the members here.

After nominations close there is a vote by the moderators and GNR volunteers. (If you are interested in becoming a GNR volunteer/voter, please PM me – there are no voting spaces open right now but we are always looking for help). The reason we do it this way is just to assure no shills can pack the board, otherwise we vote based on our understanding of the Board consensus, and solely based on the discussion on the Board. Those are the rules we live by.

Since your opinions are what count, please post on the nominations whether pro or con. Of course, keep the negative posts focused on the nomination and be gentle, as always. It is okay to disagree – I am sure we all can pick at least one GNR that we don't quite get. But if you do not post your opinion, it will not be taken into account and an undeserving place may become a GNR. More than anything, we want to be sure that if someone goes to a GNR, they will have a darned good experience if they like that kind of place and food.

If you have questions about the program, please go here to discuss it . If you want more information here are the GNR FAQs.

Thanks and eat very well

d
    Last edited by dicksond on September 22nd, 2007, 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #2 - September 18th, 2007, 10:10 am
    Post #2 - September 18th, 2007, 10:10 am Post #2 - September 18th, 2007, 10:10 am
    Having neither nominated nor seconded this time around, I just want to say what a great crop of nominees this is. Amazing that most are not already GNRs.
  • Post #3 - September 18th, 2007, 10:39 am
    Post #3 - September 18th, 2007, 10:39 am Post #3 - September 18th, 2007, 10:39 am
    JeffB wrote:Having neither nominated nor seconded this time around, I just want to say what a great crop of nominees this is. Amazing that most are not already GNRs.

Jeff,

Next time around when you see one on the list you are genuinely surprised is not already a GNR, that's the one you should have nominated this round.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - September 22nd, 2007, 5:34 am
    Post #4 - September 22nd, 2007, 5:34 am Post #4 - September 22nd, 2007, 5:34 am
    Thanks for nominating and commenting. The voters will now recess to divine the intent of the members, and so vote. The new GNRs will be announced around October 15.

If you have anything you wish to say about any of these nominees, you are invited to do so on the Eating Out threads. At this point, it would be better if such comments were about experiences at the place rather than strictly a comment on whether or not it deserves a GNR since that type of comment should have gone here, during the nomination and comment period, but we will be reviewing all posts on each place in our deliberations so new posts for the next week or so will definitely be considered, particularly for any place that seems borderline.

I also want to thank everyone for their interesting and constructive suggestions for improvements. Once we finish this last rush of preparing, distributing and announcing the GNRs, plus a brief time to breathe and relax, we will reconvene to discuss what changes make sense for 2008.

More to come on that.

d
    for the LTHForum Great Neighborhood Restaurants

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events