LTH Home

Nightwood - distinctive, elevated-rustic dining

Nightwood - distinctive, elevated-rustic dining
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Nightwood - distinctive, elevated-rustic dining

Post #1 - February 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Post #1 - February 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm Post #1 - February 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Over the past couple of years, I've become enamored with this wonderful place. Chef Jason Vincent's delicious food and creative vision make Nightwood a genuine dining destination. Skill, imagination and quality of ingredients all converge to create one of the best dining experiences in the city; in a bonafide neighborhood venue in Pilsen without even an ounce of pretense. The food is seasonal, local and distinctive, and virtually all of it is made from scratch. Even butter, bread, condiments, pickles -- items that so many restaurants source from outside -- are made in-house at Nightwood. And that's just the beginning of what make it so special.

The farm-to-table philosophy is very much a part of Nightwood but they don't beat you over the head with it. It's just what they do because it fits naturally with who they are. Having cooked at the legendary Arzak, chef Vincent understands that a meaningful restaurant is, in many ways, an extension of the region in which it's located. He also knows that the path to quality depends, in part, on having great relationships with as many suppliers as he can. So, his emphasis on purchasing local ingredients from folks he knows is simply a matter of pragmatism, not a trend-driven exercise. As a diner, one is the beneficiary of these relationships. They often lead to instances when Nightwood is the only place in town serving some ingredients. But again, it's a mellow approach. There is no brow-beating or finger-wagging. The food is, all at once, elevated, rustic and approachable. Nightwood's a versatile spot, too. It's an outstanding choice for Sunday brunch, dinner with friends, late-night snack stops, cocktails and business dinners. Even at outside charity events, Nightwood's food often stands out above so much of the other fare being served. Nightwood is a place that I frequently recommend to out-of-town visitors. I do so enthusiastically and with confidence.

Nightwood also has an outstanding beverage program, including an exceptional bar. The wine and beer offerings are interesting and affordable. Cocktails, both classics and house creations, are well-made, tasty and interesting. The drink list changes fairly often and I almost always find several original libations that are intriguing.

Service at Nightwood is also notable. I've sat in the dining room and in the downstairs wine room a few times and in all those cases, the FOH staff has doted on us. They seem as enthused about serving the food as I am about eating it. But my favorite place to sit is in the back of the restaurant at the counter that surrounds the kitchen. From there, I can watch the skillful, well-led crew doing their thing. They work quietly, efficiently and without drama. I could sit at that counter for hours watching this team work -- probably in the same way a normal person might watch a perfectly choreographed dance troupe. It's pure joy.

But at the end of the day, for me anyway, a GNR is overwhelmingly about its food. And Nightwood's food communicates with me on a level that is rare and glorious. Tasting something and having it instantly evoke a purely emotional response is something that happens to me time and time again at Nightwood. Here are just a few shots of some of my favorite dishes from Nightwood over the past couple of years . . .

Simple Spring Vegetables | toasted goat cheese

Copper River Salmon Crudo | spring vegetables, crab sauce

Pan-Roasted Peaches | foie gras, foie fat, padron peppers

Nantucket Bay Scallops | pea tendrils, chilis, lime, cauliflower, pecans, fennel, smoked spare ribs

Pasta alla Chitarra | lamb Bolognese, English peas

Indiana Duck Leg | black beans, creme fraiche, chili, fennel, onion

Wood-Grilled Hanger Steak | green beans, romesco, onion rings

Wood-Grilled Spring Lamb, Octopus & Ramps | apricot-black pepper BBQ, burnt tomato

Ice Cream | vanilla cone

Baked Alaska | raspberry cheesecake ice cream, sandwich cookies, tapioca

Butterscotch Pudding | vanilla cream, shortbread cookies

Malted Fudge Cake | chocolate ice cream

There were so many more, and many of them are documented on the main Nightwood thread (also linked below).

Clearly, Nightwood really speaks to me but I'm not alone. While it isn't unanimous, the consensus on Nightwood among LTHers has been overwhelmingly positive. And, what's really striking to me is the time span over which these positive posts have been made -- essentially from when Nightwood first opened in 2009 right up to now. Here are some of the positive comments made about Nightwood by other LTHers over the past few years . . .

wino66: "The dish was a small portion but huge on flavor, and just what I was looking for."

TCouch: "I went with my wife a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The short rib gnocchi appetizer with cream freche sauce and chives was amazing, as was the deep fried asparagus wrapped in smoked trout appetizer."

grahamhh: "Finally made my much-anticipated birthday trip to Nightwood earlier this evening and my high expectations were exceeded in every way."

pairs4life: "Had my first meal there on Tuesday night. The patio was glorious and so was the food." and "The next morning, I was at Green City Market and ran into Chef Jason. It warmed my heart to see him there picking out produce for his restaurants."

crrush: "Woke up this morning missing Chicago, and started thinking of the food I'm missing or wish I'd eaten more of. I lived around the corner from Nightwood, and had the pleasure of eating there a handful of times before I split. Every meal was remarkable. Simple and peak-tasty, no dish overwrought with ingredients or overworked by foo-foo technique."

danimalarkey: "Entrees were uniformly excellent, with the homemade spaghetti getting good reviews and the whole roasted trout and pan-seared whitefish disappearing quickly."

rdb66: "We had our 10th anniversary dinner Saturday night at Nightwood with 2 of our best friends, and it's hard to imagine a better meal or more enjoyable time."

thaobsessed: "We had a terrific meal at Nightwood last night."

jeanpoutine: "Nightwood sends out their Sunday brunch menu every Saturday, and I must say I am saddened any time the duck confit poutine is not included. My namesake dish is popping up all over Chicago, but NIghtwood's rendition is truly excellent, probably the finest I've had outside of Canada."

j0emv: "We finally made it to Nightwood last night since I've been meaning to all year. I have to say I was extremely impressed with the restaurant, the service and the food was fabulous."

Hurdler4eva: "Visited tonight for the first time and had a lovely meal."

Vitesse98: "To my mouth, a nearly sure-thing spot on par (in that regard) with Publican, one of the places I'm pretty confident recommending to anyone (save maybe vegetarians). Also, the best, or at least one of the best, Manhattans in the city."

Athena: "Rather a late report, but I'll add to the chorus of approval for Nightwood."

jvalentino: "Nightwood is one of those places that part way through the meal I was already looking forward to a return visit."

ChitownJackson: "Overall, I thought everything was phenomenal and can't wait to return for a special occasion."

Sweetbread: "I had the Nightwood burger this week, and must agree that it's one of the best in the city."

Amata: "I was recently at Nightwood and had the trout with clams, plus the rhubarb buckle for dessert, both absolutely terrific."

boudreaulicious: "Everything down to the grilled bread and house made jam was completely delicious."

The GP: "Although I don't get there often, Nightwood is one of my favorite restaurants. I look forward to returning."

To sum up, on every level, Nightwood fits my personal description of a GNR perfectly:

- Phenomenal, distinctive food
    - Warm, friendly service
    - Exceptional bar
    - Genuine neighborhood location
    - Confidently and proudly recommend it to out-of-town visitors
    - Garnered consistent praise from the LTH community over a number of years

LTH, I happily nominate Nightwood as a Great Neighborhood Restaurant. :)

=R=

Main Nightwood thread
    Nightwood...for drinks

Nightwood
    2119 S Halsted
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (312) 526-3385
    http://nightwoodrestaurant.com/
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - February 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm
    Post #2 - February 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm Post #2 - February 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm
    Seconded enthusiastically.

I'll add my personal highlights

one of the my favorite burgers in Chicago
    an incredibly friendly & accommodating staff (we've always particularly enjoyed atmosphere at the kitchen table. Also I dined there once with a friend who is vegan, when making the reservation they were quick to reassure us that this would not be a problem & it wasn't, finding suitable dishes that were as enjoyable as anything else on the menu was very easy)
    the always tempting & delightful cookie sampler on offer to end the meal
  • Post #3 - February 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Post #3 - February 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm Post #3 - February 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Delicious thoughtful food in a comfortable environment. Nightwood is elevated yet totally unpretentious with a staff that gets hospitality.

Glad to support on of my favorite restaurants as a GNR.
  • Post #4 - February 14th, 2013, 11:29 pm
    Post #4 - February 14th, 2013, 11:29 pm Post #4 - February 14th, 2013, 11:29 pm
    Just talking about how it's been too long since I've been there. Awesome nomination!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - February 15th, 2013, 11:21 am
    Post #5 - February 15th, 2013, 11:21 am Post #5 - February 15th, 2013, 11:21 am
    BIG YES.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm
    Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm Post #6 - February 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:BIG YES.

Big yes as well. Nightwood is one of the places I like to take out of towners to show off Chicago.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - February 17th, 2013, 8:04 pm
    Post #7 - February 17th, 2013, 8:04 pm Post #7 - February 17th, 2013, 8:04 pm
    Nightwood is also a place I like to show off to out-of-towners, both for the great food and attractive decor. I have also found that it's a terrific place to bring your vegetarian friends because they offer a number of vegetarian items and others that can be easily modified without eliminating flavor. Aside from my very first meal there, every subsequent meal has just been outstanding. Definitely a GNR in my book.
  • Post #8 - February 19th, 2013, 12:18 am
    Post #8 - February 19th, 2013, 12:18 am Post #8 - February 19th, 2013, 12:18 am
    Nightwood is invaluable to me for brunch and post-rehearsal excursions; they once made the best plate of chicken and waffles I've ever had, and they share my obsession for handmade noodles, chorizo, and as many creative ways you can get citrus into dishes as possible. They also make stellar bitter and savory cocktails. I have two pieces of flair in my car interior, and one is the castled Nightwood button.
  • Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 3:32 pm
    Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 3:32 pm Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 3:32 pm
    My mind is blown. I totally thought this was already a GNR. Never had a disappointing meal here.
    "We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
  • Post #10 - February 24th, 2013, 9:58 am
    Post #10 - February 24th, 2013, 9:58 am Post #10 - February 24th, 2013, 9:58 am
    I posted about my recent experience at Nightwood in the main thread.

In short, Nightwood missed the mark for me. Granted it was a single experience so I can't say for certain that Nightwood isn't my kind of place, but the meal we had there didn't match the lofty expectations I had based on all the enthusiasm I've read on the board. I like the feel of the restaurant a lot and I could see myself growing to love it, but for now count me as vote of dissent in the sea of praise.
  • Post #11 - March 3rd, 2013, 2:54 pm
    Post #11 - March 3rd, 2013, 2:54 pm Post #11 - March 3rd, 2013, 2:54 pm
    Sadly (for me), I've only been to Nightwood one time, which I posted about here. But that one meal was excellent and has whet my appetite for many return visits. My impression from that one visit is that Nightwood is exactly what I look for from an elevated GNR. So I happily support this nomination.
  • Post #12 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:07 pm
    Post #12 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:07 pm Post #12 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:07 pm
    I've only been to Nightwood once, when Ronna and I had the opportunity to stuff ourselves silly with the suburbans. It may have been my favorite meal of 2012.
    Definitely a GNR in my book.

--Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #13 - March 3rd, 2013, 8:21 pm
    Post #13 - March 3rd, 2013, 8:21 pm Post #13 - March 3rd, 2013, 8:21 pm
    I also had one of my favorite meals of '12 at the kitchen counter at Nightwood. I am fully in support of this nomination.
  • Post #14 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm
    Post #14 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm Post #14 - March 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm
    I've been to Nightwood a handful of times and have been pleased every time. I've taken friends who have been impressed. I support this nomination.
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more