LTH Home

In-On Thai

In-On Thai
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • In-On Thai

Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 9:41 pm
    Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 9:41 pm Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 9:41 pm
    I’m more than happy to nominate In-On Thai for a GNR this year. Ever since my first visit not terribly long ago, I have been in love with everything about the place, and many others LTHers have been similarly charmed. The family running the restaurant couldn’t be friendlier or more welcoming. They exhibit a serious dedication to the authentic flavors of central Thailand, never taming down strong flavors and using handmade ingredients wherever possible. In-On is the kind of restaurant where there are too many outstanding dishes to list them all, which means a lot here in Chicago where we are fortunate to have so many stellar Thai restaurants. And despite the others so well-documented here on LTH, In-On still manages to stand out. The fermented pork ribs are the the things dreams are made of (well, my dreams at least). The crispy fish with herb salad is another must order, but in all truth, you can't go wrong with any of their salads. My favorite bite there, however, is probably the pickled bamboo curry (with bone-in chicken).

Don’t stick to my favorites alone though - the board favorites are many and varied, so check out the main discussion thread.

The People of LTH seem to be in agreement that all the food is simply great, but here are a few select quotes:

petite_gourmande - “Having to choose between this place and Rainbow is like asking which of child is your favorite? I love them both with all my heart… The salads and curries were top notch, shoulder to shoulder with the best places and better than most that I visited in Thailand.”

BR - “Special shout outs though to In-On Thai for their amazing green curry (best version in Chicago)”

fropones - “I would rank In-On's pad thai up there with some of the best ones I recently had in Bangkok.”

jefe - “The salads were awesome, super fresh, bright, and popping with flavor.”

Vital Info - “It should also be noted that the owners here really enjoyed our company and made us feel most welcome. I would say that I felt like I was eating in their home, the way the food came across.”

A couple of "Best thing I’ve eaten lately" thread shout outs -
    Sweet Willie - “crispy fish w/herb salad”
    skull - “Green Bean Salad at In-On-Thai and the crispy fish with the dry red curry sauce a close second!”

I wish I was eating these right now:

3821 N Broadway St
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 857-2475
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:47 pm
    Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:47 pm Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:47 pm
    Heartily seconded. Bright flavors and perfectly executed dishes in balance with each other.
  • Post #3 - February 11th, 2016, 9:10 am
    Post #3 - February 11th, 2016, 9:10 am Post #3 - February 11th, 2016, 9:10 am
    The proverbial slam dunk (and frankly, so far, the only joint on this year's nom list that I've dined at). I had a perfect meal here just two nights ago–  juicy nubbins of sour pork ribs, my fave new Thai soup in town, the seasonal creamy fish filet soup, lily gilding fried wings in penang curry, and the work of art that is the crispy fish salad.

This place in the rotation just deepens the wealth of top tier Thai in Chicago and stacks up to my other favorite spots that rank among my very favorite restaurants in Chicago. But rather than make comparisons, I'd rather point out precisely what the kitchen here accomplishes so well– their soups, curries, and sauces are so honestly home made and each sings, soars, with its own distinct set of spicing. You're hit with pleasantly astringent slivers of galangal in the soup, ever-so finely sliced ribbons of lemongrass in the penang curry. And they bring the heat. On this recent dinner, I didn't specify "pet pet" since I was with mixed company. Everything was perfectly layered with building heat levels. We were all sweating for sure, but intoxicatingly reaching for more of everything. I do like burning my ass with you all as well, but even the baseline white boy level of heat is just right.

And great people too.

One question, does anyone know if there was resolution on the future of the building and if they will move?
  • Post #4 - February 18th, 2016, 7:16 pm
    Post #4 - February 18th, 2016, 7:16 pm Post #4 - February 18th, 2016, 7:16 pm
    Probably the best new place I tried this year--so many delicious dishes, most completely new to me, served by some of the nicest people around. In-On-Thai did the impossible for me--stood out in a field blissfully crowded with consistently wonderful Thai food. Hard to think of any way that In-On-Thai could be more deserving of the designation of GNR!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #5 - February 19th, 2016, 8:42 am
    Post #5 - February 19th, 2016, 8:42 am Post #5 - February 19th, 2016, 8:42 am
    Laikon,

Terrific nomination!

I just posted in the main thread

In-On Thai, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - February 20th, 2016, 6:19 pm
    Post #6 - February 20th, 2016, 6:19 pm Post #6 - February 20th, 2016, 6:19 pm
    I'm in on In On Thai being a GNR.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #7 - March 2nd, 2016, 12:23 pm
    Post #7 - March 2nd, 2016, 12:23 pm Post #7 - March 2nd, 2016, 12:23 pm
    They do many things well, but what stands out for me are the vibrant, aromatic curries. These are a must order for us. Love In-On-Thai, definitely a GNR.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more