LTH Home

Reviewing the GNR Classes of 2005/2006

Reviewing the GNR Classes of 2005/2006
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Reviewing the GNR Classes of 2005/2006

Post #1 - September 27th, 2017, 5:37 am
    Post #1 - September 27th, 2017, 5:37 am Post #1 - September 27th, 2017, 5:37 am
    I have created a survey seeking input on the restaurants and resources that are current members of the GNRs Classes of 2005 and 2006. Please take a moment to fill out the surveys.

https://goo.gl/forms/J5Opx6jAa58RZX1y2

Thanks
    Onur, for the GNRs
  • Post #2 - September 28th, 2017, 7:44 pm
    Post #2 - September 28th, 2017, 7:44 pm Post #2 - September 28th, 2017, 7:44 pm
    Thanks, I know it's a lot of work and most people who volunteer have real life jobs. I just filled out the survey, keep us updated.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #3 - October 2nd, 2017, 10:58 am
    Post #3 - October 2nd, 2017, 10:58 am Post #3 - October 2nd, 2017, 10:58 am
    Hi Onur, I completed survey but when hit submit my company's firewall prevented the next page from showing, please PM me if survey didn't go through.

Willie
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #4 - October 2nd, 2017, 11:07 am
    Post #4 - October 2nd, 2017, 11:07 am Post #4 - October 2nd, 2017, 11:07 am
    Hey Willie,

Your survey did not come through. Please submit again when you get a chance. I decided to respond here instead of pm, since it was a good chance to bump this thread. Also, I hope to get the next survey loaded up this week.
  • Post #5 - October 2nd, 2017, 2:56 pm
    Post #5 - October 2nd, 2017, 2:56 pm Post #5 - October 2nd, 2017, 2:56 pm
    Yeah, I had a similar issue when I tried to complete this at work. I will try it again from my home computer tonight.
  • Post #6 - November 10th, 2017, 9:18 am
    Post #6 - November 10th, 2017, 9:18 am Post #6 - November 10th, 2017, 9:18 am
    37 responses received so far. We can wrap up this survey in the next couple weeks. Please fill it out if you haven't yet and would like participate in the GNRs.

Should we publish the results here or just a summary of what we learned from the surveys?
  • Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 11:35 am
    Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 11:35 am Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 11:35 am
    We have received 50 total responses to this survey. This is the last call to fill in this survey.

I would like to publish the results here. We can discuss the results in this thread.
  • Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am
    Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am Post #8 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am
    The 2005/2006 survey is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated. We had 47 total surveys (after repeat entries were removed). The following people filled out surveys:

annak
    Behavioral
    Big Willi
    Bnowell724
    Boudreaulicious
    BuddyRoadHouse
    bweiny
    chapulin
    Cilantro
    Cyriaco
    Darren72
    dirtyappraiser
    eieileen
    ekreider
    EvA
    Food Nut
    FrankP
    G Wiv
    gastrognome
    GeorgeR
    gnarchief
    Italy83
    janeyb
    Jefe
    jeffheif1
    JoelF
    laikom
    Leek
    MarlaCollinsHusband
    mbh
    mhl
    noneoftheabove
    nr706
    Pairs4Life
    Puckjam
    RAB
    =R=
    Santander
    seebee
    SteveZ
    susan raphael
    The GP
    the wimperoo
    thetrob
    turkob
    Vital Information
    WhyBeeSea

I will post the survey results here for discussion.

Class of 2005

Image2005 by onurusmen, on Flickr

Class of 2006

Image2006 by onurusmen, on Flickr
  • Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am
    Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 11:27 am
    Based on the survey results, here are my initial thoughts. This is just a starting point for discussion and by no means a final decision.

Still GNRs
    Al’s Beef
    Freddy’s Pizza
    Laschet’s Inn
    Manny’s Deli
    Rivieria Italian Foods
    TAC Quick
    Calumet Fisheries
    Cemitas Puebla
    Gene and Jude’s
    Honey 1 BBQ
    Hopleaf
    Johnnie’s Beef (Elmwood Park)
    Katy’s Dumpling House
    Renga-Tei
    San Soo Gab San
    Scooter’s Frozen Custard
    Spacca Napoli
    Tre Kronor

Require Discussion
    Podhlanka
    Birrieria Reyes
    Burt’s Place
    Johnnie’s Beef (Arlington Heights)
    La Quebrada (Cicero)
    Sticky Rice

No Longer GNRs
    Lao Sze Chuan (Chinatown)
    Lao Sze Chuan (Downers Grove)
    La Quebrada (California Ave)
    La Quebrada (Aurora)
  • Post #10 - February 20th, 2018, 11:57 am
    Post #10 - February 20th, 2018, 11:57 am Post #10 - February 20th, 2018, 11:57 am
    I'd like to speak up on behalf of Podhalanka. I know many were turned off by their unwelcoming behavior during the chowathon and even more avoid the place all together because of the pushy antics of the famous "nephew". But I'm still a fan boy. It's the type of place I come to LTHForum to discover. I love the food and more often than not we are served by the always sweet Helen rather than he who shall not be named. It's on the short list of places I take visitors to show off something unique to Chicago. (Just checked yelp and a review from 2/19/2018 says the food was great but hated the upselling and felt ripped off. Old habits die hard I guess)

Also, just a word on Sticky Rice. We get their food delivered often and I haven't noticed a drop in quality. It's not as unique as it once was since the Thai food scene has evolved so dramatically over the years, so I understand why many have moved on. I won't be heart broken if they fall off the list (as I would be for Podhalanka) because I've never connected personally with the restaurant. That said, it still scratches the itch for me.
  • Post #11 - February 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm
    Post #11 - February 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm Post #11 - February 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm
    Speaking of old school spots, Podhalanka is a dying breed if there ever was one. I'm on record all over the place defending them. Hell, I was even the original whistle blower on "the guy" seven years ago. And it hasn't put me off the place.

Re: La Quebrada. I'm a newcomer to LQ. Its a super convenient and regular stop for me commuting on 290. They also strike me as a neighborhood anchor in a comfy diner-y setting, an oasis on a harsh wind-swept stretch of Roosevelt. The grub is always stick-to-your-ribs satisfying. The tacos de cesina are a top 5 Chi-land taco of mine period. Love the huevos plates, the warm salsa de molcajete, home made torts, and the belly busting plates of comida guerrerense!
  • Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:22 pm
    Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:22 pm Post #12 - February 20th, 2018, 9:22 pm
    I doubt I'll ever eat at Podhalanka again because the shenanigans that took (take?) place there happen to be a major pet peeve of mine. But I don't think those things should even come close to disqualifying it as a GNR. If the food is still good, which those who frequent it seem to confirm, it should definitely remain on the list. There are plenty of other places on the list where the service isn't so warm and fuzzy. It may not be for me, but Podhalanka seems to still be an epitomatic GNR.

I also think Sticky Rice should remain on the list. I haven't eaten there in while but friends who live nearby (and whose opinions I trust) still eat there with regularity, and still dig it. Because of that and some of the unique dishes they serve there, it remains in the handful of Thai places that I confidently recommend to folks who ask.

As for Burt's, I'd be very curious to know what people who've eaten there recently think of it. Either way, because of the lengthy closure and the ownership change, I'm inclined to think it should have to be renominated as a new GNR rather than renewed. That said, I could be convinced otherwise if the favorable sentiments were strong enough.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #13 - February 21st, 2018, 7:14 am
    Post #13 - February 21st, 2018, 7:14 am Post #13 - February 21st, 2018, 7:14 am
    I visited the La Quebrada in Cicero a couple times some years ago. Loved the food and I supported its place on the list at the time. For that location there is some support though a high number of people have never visited. The other two locations have virtually no track record and even fewer visits. Would it make sense to keep the Cicero location and remove the other two?
  • Post #14 - February 21st, 2018, 8:18 am
    Post #14 - February 21st, 2018, 8:18 am Post #14 - February 21st, 2018, 8:18 am
    turkob wrote:I visited the La Quebrada in Cicero a couple times some years ago. Loved the food and I supported its place on the list at the time. For that location there is some support though a high number of people have never visited. The other two locations have virtually no track record and even fewer visits. Would it make sense to keep the Cicero location and remove the other two?

I'm very mixed on Quebrada. When we first went there, almost 20 years ago, I was immediately struck by how superior it was. That is, it was not so much great as marginally better than other neighborhood places. The menu was broad and interesting; the house molcajete salsa amazing, and the tortillas some of the best I had ever had. Today, the salsa is still great, the menu, still interesting, and the tortillas still well made. A lot of it, though, is that they are not singularly above anything else. It's good but no longer special (in my mind). It's like that first car you'll always treasured, but you've since moved on to others.

And I hate to have to say this, but it's also at the expense of expense. The prices at Quebrada have creeped over the years and creeped and then creeped some more. I know there is an intersection between what is fair and appropriate for what is served and what is actually charge; plus all that value is all in the eye of the beholder stuff, but I find myself very often hesitant to go there because of cost. It's interesting that the place itself has wrestled with the issue. It's like how sometimes a milky way bar gets smaller instead of the price going up. At times, the menu has had, like really bad meat, as a way to keep prices down. I'm sure I'm not being fair on this point, but I cannot help it.

I forgot what I said in the survey. It's hard for me to rule it out as a GNR as I have a well documented attachment to this place. On the other hand, what I said above.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #15 - February 21st, 2018, 10:51 pm
    Post #15 - February 21st, 2018, 10:51 pm Post #15 - February 21st, 2018, 10:51 pm
    I'm in support of maintaining status for Sticky Rice and La Quebrada Cicero, with recent visits to both. Where prices have escalated or some things have moved off menus I think quality for mainstays is still strong. I also visited LQ Aurora more than most (I'd imagine) when my late great g-ma was out there and the welcome was always warm, but those data points are aging out of relevance.

Podhalanka: what Onur and Ronnie are saying is fine by me. Restaurant schtick (it's all there ultimately for the business bottom line) is a thing here and they have theirs, as self-defeating as it may be for some. If the food is still solid, I'm for it, but haven't been recently.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more