LTH Home

Tandoori - Savory Suburban Indo-Pak

Tandoori - Savory Suburban Indo-Pak
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Tandoori - Savory Suburban Indo-Pak

Post #1 - March 19th, 2018, 5:44 pm
    Post #1 - March 19th, 2018, 5:44 pm Post #1 - March 19th, 2018, 5:44 pm
    With many options for good Indian food in the northern suburbs, Tandoori stands out from the Indo-Pak. After finding this gem a few years back, we've found little need to trek to Devon. While Tandoori is nearly a 20-minute drive from home, it's become one of our regular stops and we wish something as good as Tandoori was in our neighborhood.

While we've enjoyed exploring the menu, our regular order has become:
    - Chicken biryani, flaky rice, well-seasoned, tender dark meat chicken
    - Aloo gobi, in a great tomato onion curry with tons of cauliflower
    - Palak gosht, tender mutton in wonderful spinach
    We often order the paratha, too, which is great on its own and even better dipped in the spinach.

Tandoori is a hole-in-the-wall in the truest sense, but what it lacks in decor, it makes up for in hospitality. They do a brisk takeout business, but we like to order heavy and eat in at one of the handful of tables. We look forward to our feasts at Tandoori and leftovers quickly get gobbled up.

Here's a link to the main thread http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19438, which includes the following recent posts . . .

G Wiv: "Terrific lunch today at Tandoori on Ballard highlights being rich textured daal fry and mirchi salan studded with tender melty jalapenos. Light crisp samosas, we tried all three types, chicken biryani and palak gosht rounded out our lunch. Naan light and flaky, paratha dense layered with a slight chew, crisp side dish fresh veg and slightly spicy raita. Tandoori was packed at 12:30 with friendly efficient service and a bare-bones yet comfortable room."

ronnie_suburban: "Palak Gosht - Delicious, herbaceous and tender . . .Mirchi Salan - As Gary posted above, this dish is special. I love everything about it, including the tender, slightly-hot jalapenos (a bit shy here) and the rich peanut-y sauce . . . Chicken Biryani - I loved the moist and savory bone-in pieces of chicken. The rice was light, with the grains just soft enough and not mushing together at all."

budrichard: "Chicken Biryani, Aloo Gobi, Palak Gohst, Mutton Biryani and Naan. Standout was the Palak Gohst! Everything was excellent . . . So happy to not have to brave Devon St traffic and parking. I can see this developing as a frequent Stop on my way back on 294!"

I'm glad that a few LTHers have visited recently and hope that more will join in.

Ronna

--------------

Tandoori
    9344 Ballard Road, Des Plaines IL 60016
    http://www.tandooridesplaines.com/
    847-824-6550
  • Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 7:26 pm
    Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 7:26 pm Post #2 - March 19th, 2018, 7:26 pm
    REB wrote:I'm glad that a few LTHers have visited recently and hope that more will join in.

I am very glad Tandoori was put on my radar via the close/no close kerfuffle. I've been twice and intend to make it a regular stop.

Tandoori is a terrific GNR nomination, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am
    Post #3 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am Post #3 - April 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am
    I think this a great nomination and I fully support it. I've enjoyed all my meals here immensely and the people who work here couldn't be more friendly or helpful.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more