LTH Home

The Future of LTH

The Future of LTH
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 7
  • Post #121 - September 26th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Post #121 - September 26th, 2023, 8:31 pm Post #121 - September 26th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Ronnie - I think the obvious way to drive more traffic and enjoyment of LTH, which is what most of us are here for, is to bring back NAV MAN.
  • Post #122 - September 26th, 2023, 9:02 pm
    Post #122 - September 26th, 2023, 9:02 pm Post #122 - September 26th, 2023, 9:02 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Ronnie - I think the obvious way to drive more traffic and enjoyment of LTH, which is what most of us are here for, is to bring back NAV MAN.

Fire up the Bourbon Chicken spotlight against the autumnal sky and we'll just have to see what happens.
  • Post #123 - September 26th, 2023, 10:30 pm
    Post #123 - September 26th, 2023, 10:30 pm Post #123 - September 26th, 2023, 10:30 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Ronnie - I think the obvious way to drive more traffic and enjoyment of LTH, which is what most of us are here for, is to bring back NAV MAN.

LOL - you are SO right! :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #124 - September 26th, 2023, 10:59 pm
    Post #124 - September 26th, 2023, 10:59 pm Post #124 - September 26th, 2023, 10:59 pm
    or Pizzaboy
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #125 - September 26th, 2023, 11:18 pm
    Post #125 - September 26th, 2023, 11:18 pm Post #125 - September 26th, 2023, 11:18 pm
    OK now you have to let newcomers in on the joke.
  • Post #126 - September 27th, 2023, 6:36 am
    Post #126 - September 27th, 2023, 6:36 am Post #126 - September 27th, 2023, 6:36 am
    Legendary old posts that old posters may or may not remember.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #127 - September 27th, 2023, 7:54 am
    Post #127 - September 27th, 2023, 7:54 am Post #127 - September 27th, 2023, 7:54 am
    Sausage Pizza - and only sausage pizza - for a month
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #128 - September 27th, 2023, 10:10 am
    Post #128 - September 27th, 2023, 10:10 am Post #128 - September 27th, 2023, 10:10 am
    Thanks, now I get that one. And I found this on the other guy (I assume they're a guy! Or is that my sexist take on "getting drunk" and "air guitar"?): NAV MANIA - June 28, 2012 - Intensity in Ten Cities
    A lively discussion to be sure!
  • Post #129 - September 29th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    Post #129 - September 29th, 2023, 3:11 pm Post #129 - September 29th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    You know I loved that thread back in the day. I not only could do it for a month, I pretty much did it for a month last summer in PA, NJ, NY.
  • Post #130 - October 1st, 2023, 9:42 am
    Post #130 - October 1st, 2023, 9:42 am Post #130 - October 1st, 2023, 9:42 am
    For those interested in "old-style" LTH where we met for a convivial dinner over ethnic food (with ordering power), consider the LTH Group Dinner at Tandoor Samsa on Sunday October 15, 6:00 p.m. in Buffalo Grove. This began as a food exchange, but that part is entirely optional, and the event is described as a group dinner. Dinners typically last about two hours. Tandoor Samsa serves Uzbeki cuisine, rare in Chicagoland. If you are interested, sign up on the Events Page. If this is not convenient, there will be another dinner in November.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #131 - October 1st, 2023, 3:08 pm
    Post #131 - October 1st, 2023, 3:08 pm Post #131 - October 1st, 2023, 3:08 pm
    Where to start? I'll foray the beginning.
    When discovering the World-Wide Web back in 1996, there were topics which were (and actually still are) infrequently discussed in “polite” circles.
    Lest you suspect I am heading down that avenue, I'll alert that one of those topics was soccer. People still considered that hosting the World Cup Finals in the U.S.A. was a “fad”.
    An outgrowth of Usenet groups, which were starting to be bloated with spam, (You can still find posts I made in "alt.fun.with.steve".) was fora where you could find a community also interested in soccer.
    An astounding side project of select soccer boosters (which I will not mention online in a substantial capacity) was a secretive topic being developed as a response to the hospitality displayed to U.S.A.-based soccer teams in other North American countries, including one just south of here.
    It was drummed into our heads early on that E-Mail is not as secure or private as somebody might think. So this lead to fora where these topics were featured. On my bookmark page: All those proxy judges and anonymity resources were being monitored by myself starting back then.
    Proxy and anonymity fora led to cracking W-WW websites and fora. This would go down that avenue, so I will halt here to keep this thread from going beyond a PG-13 rating.

Essentially, fora and long-form blogging were diminished when the organizations and corporations hosting them decided to monetize them. You should still remember the LiveJournal strike-through of May 2007, when entire communities and users were "permanently suspended". Some of the users had actually paid for a Permanent Account, but that did not help them. {A famous book published around the time was titled, "First they gave me a lifetime contract. Then they declared me dead."}
    Some of the deletions were due to content (a sought-after advertiser would not want its adverts appearing on pages where a blogger would express controversial opinions), but the majority were due to fear that Copyright Holders would send cease-and-desist orders [E.G.: "Harry Potter" fan fiction.].

From hereafter, you had corporations not wanting to host selected content, even if whatever was being espoused was entirely legal. Obviously, this still occurs. But segregating people leads to insular concentrations where only select topics can be discussed. This is bad because people should be exposed to vistas which differ from theirs. Lest those people arrive at a point in which they are so invested in their viewpoint that there is insufficient evidence which could ever convince them to change it.
    For LTHF, contemplate if it was redesignated to "carnivores only" (or, there is a “palace coup”, and it becomes "vegetarians and vegan only"). Either of these would be horrid.
    Because fora do expose people to potentially different vistas, people are leaving them in favor of the W-WW sites which only present content with which they agree.
    It will take diligent effort on anybody's part to pry their eyes and mind away from “only those topics”.

Now let's examine how people view fora. This post by Todd Alström, one of the founders of Beer Advocate, states 80% of its traffic is from mobile devices. Ron, you or another admin can inform us how much traffic LTHF gets from mobile devices. {I think it could be found if you check the screen resolution variable.} Forum posts do not comport to cigarette-pack sized screens. The "keyboard" on a mobile phone leaves a lot to be desired, which results in a reply being an insubstantial one or two sentences. And forget about putting a link in the response.

I posted here how I reference images into threads. Once you begin doing it this way, you will learn how to instinctly do it.
    I submit that looking at dark gray text on an off-white background is eventually eye-grating. This is why I change the color of my texts. I strive to stay away from fluorescent colors because of their luminosity. I also feel that blue and gray colors meld into fora backgrounds because they are basically blue and gray.
    There are links to color-definition W-WW sites on my regular bookmark page [in the HTML | JavaScript rubric].

I am willing to go just about anywhere there is public transit from where I can get back from after 9:00 pm. {R.E.M. has a song titled "Can't Get There From Here". Michael Stipe should record a sequel called "Can't Get Back From There".}
    The offer is still extant to meet me somewhere in the Chicago Loop from where we will ride the Red Line “L” to 95th St, the rush-hours-only route #100 Jeffery Manor Express, and #30 South Chicago to Pudgy's Pizza in Hegewisch. But we will have to carry it out to the Old Time Tap two blocks away because it doesn't have seating. The South Shore Line electric train would work outbound, but its last train to Chicago is at 9:03 pm. (11:08 pm on weekends.)

I am unsure if even this is enough. It is possible that attitudes and behaviors which were present fifteen years ago may not traffic anymore. And I know there are members here on LTHF who dislike me. On another fora I lurk (but am not registered, mostly due to the reception this man gets), there is one member in Texas with a cat avatar who could post "Water is wet." and get downvotes. But if you are not perturbing some other people on this planet, you are not really living.
    I shall close with an old H. L. Mencken quotation:
    H. L. Mencken wrote:A Puritan is someone who is desperately afraid that, somewhere, someone might be having a good time.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #132 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:23 am
    Post #132 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:23 am Post #132 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:23 am
    I'm hoping LTH does not go away. I've made some nice friends and acquaintances through it. I do try to post and visit, maybe not frequently but time to time. I cook a bit, and go out to eat and travel and have some good photos of food related things but I've never figured out how to post a photo. So there is that.

I've enjoyed the Dessert Exchange, and the Holiday parties I have been to as well as the picnic. I am willing to help on things if help is needed.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #133 - October 3rd, 2023, 9:01 pm
    Post #133 - October 3rd, 2023, 9:01 pm Post #133 - October 3rd, 2023, 9:01 pm
    I have enjoyed LTH Forum for almost 20 years even though I haven’t been a frequent poster. However, I do feel that the subject that I’d like to see are not discussed with any frequency.

While we live in the western suburbs, we mostly dine in the city. I find that there is not much content pertaining to many of the new restaurants that are featured on Eater Chicago on almost a daily basis. I don’t see much active discussion of the city’s fine dining establishments, some of which are garner national media attention (e.g. Esme, Parachute, Next, Ever) or simply offer a wonderful experience (Adelina, Obelix, Brindille (where we got engaged), RL, Boka). Now, I do own up to the fact that I could have started or revived threads on these restaurants but did not because of my own lethargy.

Aside from fine dining in the city, I’m surprised that there hasn’t been much discussion of other places that have garnered national buzz such as Kim’s Uncle Pizza in Westmont, which was profiled by one of my favorite food writers, Kenji Lopez-Alt of The New York Times.

Also, I’d like to know how new threads are started. I tried to start a new thread about Chicago Culinary Kitchen because the original thread is locked, but my post never showed up on the board. This was a place that garnered much enthusiastic attention on LTH back in the day. N.B. I wanted express my extreme disappointment at my recent (and first) visit to the place - the St. Louis ribs were almost inedible.
  • Post #134 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:53 pm
    Post #134 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:53 pm Post #134 - October 3rd, 2023, 10:53 pm
    ld111134 wrote:I have enjoyed LTH Forum for almost 20 years even though I haven’t been a frequent poster. However, I do feel that the subject that I’d like to see are not discussed with any frequency.

While we live in the western suburbs, we mostly dine in the city. I find that there is not much content pertaining to many of the new restaurants that are featured on Eater Chicago on almost a daily basis. I don’t see much active discussion of the city’s fine dining establishments, some of which are garner national media attention (e.g. Esme, Parachute, Next, Ever) or simply offer a wonderful experience (Adelina, Obelix, Brindille (where we got engaged), RL, Boka). Now, I do own up to the fact that I could have started or revived threads on these restaurants but did not because of my own lethargy.

Aside from fine dining in the city, I’m surprised that there hasn’t been much discussion of other places that have garnered national buzz such as Kim’s Uncle Pizza in Westmont, which was profiled by one of my favorite food writers, Kenji Lopez-Alt of The New York Times.

Also, I’d like to know how new threads are started. I tried to start a new thread about Chicago Culinary Kitchen because the original thread is locked, but my post never showed up on the board. This was a place that garnered much enthusiastic attention on LTH back in the day. N.B. I wanted express my extreme disappointment at my recent (and first) visit to the place - the St. Louis ribs were almost inedible.

Really appreciate the thoughts and yes, lethargy affects us all. I find it most commonly overcome by experiences that are so favorable, I feel compelled to share them. But yeah, not everything moves the needle.

As for your trouble starting a new thread, here is some guidance that I hope will be helpful . . .

First, clicking on Chat from just about any page on the site will bring you to the Forum Index page . . .

Forum Index Page

From here, click on the forum in which you want to start a new thread. For sake of this example, let's say it's Eating Out In Chicagoland. Once you click on that forum, this window will open . . .

Eating Out In Chicagoland

From here, click on the Post New Topic button (upper left) . . .

Doing so will bring you to this dialog window . . .

From here, just proceed as with any other post but in addition to your post's content, you must also include the Thread Title in the designated area.

That should do it. If you're experiencing technical issues beyond what is laid out here or if you have any questions at all, please PM me and I'll provide whatever assistance I can.

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #135 - October 4th, 2023, 6:13 am
    Post #135 - October 4th, 2023, 6:13 am Post #135 - October 4th, 2023, 6:13 am
    Really appreciate the thoughts and yes, lethargy affects us all. I find it most commonly overcome by experiences that are so favorable, I feel compelled to share them. But yeah, not everything moves the needle.

As for your trouble starting a new thread, here is some guidance that I hope will be helpful . . .

Thanks, Ronnie! I’ll follow the instructions.

A couple of additional points.

There was discussion up-thread concerning younger people’s participation in LTH. When we go to the restaurants that I mentioned in my post, they are invariably filled with younger people (with the exception of Brindille and RL). The same holds true for restaurants featured in Eater Chicago and The Infatuation.

Furthermore, where younger Chicagoans find out about restaurants has probably shifted over the past 20 years. There may be less reliance on “old media” and more stock placed in sites such as Eater Chicago (which actually showed up in an episode of “The Bear”) and The Infatuation, Instagram and TikTok posts, and threads on Reddit. That said, dining coverage in the Tribune has vastly improved since Louisa Chu and Nick Kindelsperger replaced Phil Vettel, whom I thought was horrible.
  • Post #136 - October 4th, 2023, 11:06 am
    Post #136 - October 4th, 2023, 11:06 am Post #136 - October 4th, 2023, 11:06 am
    I think people gravitate to sites/sources/media that supply what they want—v. engineering the particular medium to do what they want. I’ve always thought of LTH as a community that chats about food—v. a restaurant review site. So if people want to talk about the hot new places, they could certainly come here to do that. But there’s no one hired to write about hot new places—it would have to happen organically.

There has been interest in those types of places in the past (El Ideas is a GNR, for example) and I’m sure there would be in the future if people wanted to come here to discuss them. But someone has to be interested enough to start that discussion. I don’t think there’s anyone discouraging it.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #137 - October 5th, 2023, 12:27 am
    Post #137 - October 5th, 2023, 12:27 am Post #137 - October 5th, 2023, 12:27 am
    ld111134 wrote:When we go to the restaurants that I mentioned in my post, they are invariably filled with younger people (with the exception of Brindille and RL).
    When you go to restaurants that are discussed on LTH, are they invariably filled with old geezers? :lol:
    ld111134 wrote:Furthermore, where younger Chicagoans find out about restaurants has probably shifted over the past 20 years. There may be less reliance on “old media” and more stock placed in sites such as Eater Chicago (which actually showed up in an episode of “The Bear”) and The Infatuation, Instagram and TikTok posts, and threads on Reddit.
    Young people are more likely to use crowd-sourced information. That's a good thing, because it should reduce gatekeeping, promote diversity, and give more space for discussing the lower-budget options that many young people require. I see plenty of discussions on Reddit of hot dogs, Italian beefs, food trucks and obscure snacks. As you point out, the Trib has improved a lot in that regard, especially with Kindelsperger's work.
  • Post #138 - October 13th, 2023, 5:19 am
    Post #138 - October 13th, 2023, 5:19 am Post #138 - October 13th, 2023, 5:19 am
    My reasons for drifting away:

1. Food allergies. Like Mamagotcha, I was besieged with food allergies for a number of years. My laundry list of food allergies kept growing and made dining outside of the home nearly impossible. I had to stop participating in live events, and reading about other's food adventures was frustrating. Happy to say that a medication change has allowed me to resume eating as I once did.

2. Pandemic. The lovely COVID changed so many things in our lives. I actually became more active in the beginning of the pandemic as I joined the ranks of sourdough bakers. I also found/contributed new online resources for items. I fell off again as I became consumed in a non-food hobby.

3. Life and Health. Changes in family dynamics, severe back issues, and health of family members has drained my time and mental capacity. Retirement was supposed to make life easier...

4. Mobile phones and Google. I tend to write restaurant reviews on my phone when prompted by Google. (Should probably turn off location services...) Having been away from LTH, I don't think about copying those reviews over to LTH.

Regarding like or thank you buttons, I don't feel the need. Will make some happy and disappoint others.

Overall, life is cyclical. What's old is new again. I imagine LTH will find its way back. I think promoting it via other social media is probably worthwhile as many are active on various platforms. I won't use X, do very little on FB, never started Snapchat or Instagram. Life is too short to constantly be looking at the mobile screen. I spend enough time wading through emails, but it is a way of life for MANY others.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #139 - October 19th, 2023, 6:32 pm
    Post #139 - October 19th, 2023, 6:32 pm Post #139 - October 19th, 2023, 6:32 pm
    Haven’t posted here in a while, but have always appreciated it as a reference guide curated by like-minded food enthusiasts. For me (who was never a prolific poster), life just got in the way (still have kids at home, from age 17 down to age eight) but I really do value the content even if I’m mostly a consumer at this point instead of a contributor. Check back in ten years when I’m an empty-nester and have more time to explore and contribute. Thanks to all who make this place work.
  • Post #140 - October 21st, 2023, 3:36 pm
    Post #140 - October 21st, 2023, 3:36 pm Post #140 - October 21st, 2023, 3:36 pm
    Hi Guys,

I rarely post anymore due to a bit of an ethos I drew up a few years back, even pre-pandemic. Restaurants are a tough business and sometimes have off nights. Thus I don't find it is my place to post about bad food and/or experiences as it can have negative effects on hard working, mostly caring people. If I have a bad experience I just don't return!
    However, this makes me reluctant to post glowing reviews as I was trained that you need to be fair and balanced in your reporting! Now I am more likely to just chime in to confirm details or add onto a joke. Sorry to have become a friendly lurker...

Cheers,

Chico
  • Post #141 - October 21st, 2023, 3:56 pm
    Post #141 - October 21st, 2023, 3:56 pm Post #141 - October 21st, 2023, 3:56 pm
    Actually, what I love about LTH is that we focus more on “look what I found” than Yelp-style bashing. So if you enjoyed a place, particularly one that hasn’t gotten a lot of pub, I hope you’ll share it. There’s certainly no corresponding requirement to post negative reviews—I don’t think I’ve ever posted any.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #142 - October 26th, 2023, 5:31 pm
    Post #142 - October 26th, 2023, 5:31 pm Post #142 - October 26th, 2023, 5:31 pm
    Just a couple of thoughts so far in no particular order:

I understand that there are some for whom LTH is (almost if not) entirely about eating out at restaurants, some for whom it is (almost if not) entirely about cooking and eating at home, and LTHers everywhere on the spectrum in between. During COVID, we were all forced to move way toward the cooking-and-eating-at-home end of the spectrum, except for carryout/delivery options, and gradually, opportunities to go to restaurants again. But COVID brought not only social isolation and changes in routine to all but financial hardship to many (and not just restaurants and their employees), and for some, that's still not over. So, while it's great to be able to go to restaurants again and not wear masks all the time, I think the culinary side of LTH is as valuable as ever. I'm glad to read in Ronnie's post upthread that there are no plans for that side to go away.

I'm laughing a bit now because I only now noticed that this thread, "The Future of LTH," which grew out of the discussion of the 2023 picnic, didn't get established in Site Chat but rather in Eating Out in Chicagoland. (That may be only because that's where the picnic thread was; I don't remember.)

I'm also glad that there's a subforum called Eating Out in Chicagoland, as opposed to Eating Out in Chicago. I don't think negativity toward the suburbs and the people who live there contributes to a welcoming atmosphere on this forum, which I would think is desirable for encouraging more engagement from existing users and attracting new users. People live where they live for a lot of reasons. Restaurants in the suburbs (or in the city, for that matter) that don't interest you are just as easy to skip as discussion threads that don't interest you.

My thoughts on one more recent topic: Jay's earlier point about crime in the city influencing people's decisions about restaurant choices was, I think, a valid one, and we had a constructive and cordial discussion about various aspects of it at a recent LTHNLG lunch. A comment I made was that while what one would hope wouldn't turn into more than petty crime (someone insisting on taking your phone or wallet) is an issue to some degree for everyone, women spend their whole lives having to worry about their safety to a degree that men don't.

BUT, early on, the word "politics" entered the room here online, and what I think was an erroneous straw man was created: that the proposal was to open up LTH to discussion of all sorts of political and controversial topics, either in existing threads or in a new, sandboxed subforum. Neither of those options seems to be getting much traction, and I'm fine with that. But personally, I think that the discussion about whether to discuss politics went off-topic and obscured the original point.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #143 - October 26th, 2023, 8:26 pm
    Post #143 - October 26th, 2023, 8:26 pm Post #143 - October 26th, 2023, 8:26 pm
    Katie wrote:I'm laughing a bit now because I only now noticed that this thread, "The Future of LTH," which grew out of the discussion of the 2023 picnic, didn't get established in Site Chat but rather in Eating Out in Chicagoland. (That may be only because that's where the picnic thread was; I don't remember.)

It's actually a Global Announcement and, as such, this thread appears at the top of every forum. It was originally in Site Chat but one has to log in to view that forum, so we thought it best to convert it to Global.

=R=
    for the Mods
  • Post #144 - October 27th, 2023, 11:33 am
    Post #144 - October 27th, 2023, 11:33 am Post #144 - October 27th, 2023, 11:33 am
    Katie wrote:
    BUT, early on, the word "politics" entered the room here online, and what I think was an erroneous straw man was created: that the proposal was to open up LTH to discussion of all sorts of political and controversial topics, either in existing threads or in a new, sandboxed subforum. Neither of those options seems to be getting much traction, and I'm fine with that. But personally, I think that the discussion about whether to discuss politics went off-topic and obscured the original point.

I don't think it's so much a straw man argument as it is an attempt to avoid the distinction between politics with a lower case p that effects everything. (and
    especially all regulated business's), and Politics as in the running of our government, because it is such a blurry line.

As an example: I was reading a thread not long ago regarding a restaurant closed down due to failing health inspections. To be fair the thread was about that particular restaurant and then naturally, when the place was inspected and closed temporarily that was mentioned.

But continuing my example, I can tell you there are few things more political than health inspections; There are back room deals, payoffs, targeting, personal bias, and of course perfectly honest, necessary, and appropriate oversight. The major issue is the lack of inspectors, and they have to act on any complaints that come in, and then once you are under their radar it is very hard to get out from under, so it is really hard to create a fair and level playing field.

But my point is, getting from that discussion, and what effect, if any, this has on the lives of independent restaurant owners and their families, and us the customers in our perception of the industry and the food we eat, which Might be interesting, TO: Do inspections lean more heavily on certain immigrant groups, Or is it fair that anyone with a grudge can make a complaint, Or is it just that the City itself is so corrupt and there's nothing to do etc. etc. ,which still Miigghht (yes I'm stretching here) be interesting, TO: Those are bad people anyway and they should be closed and never allowed to reopen, or, who let them in anyway, or China town is the worse etc.; Well it's a very short distance, and then head over heels into the quagmire of our current political situation where red is red and blue is blue and never the two shall meet, especially online.

I think this is something the moderators, in an effort to keep their sanity, want desperately to avoid and I for one am thankful. Having had some recent interaction with the Man, waving Hi to Ron LOL, I know it could be handled, but but it really would be such a mess. So if it takes a strawman I get it.

I may be in the minority but I really don't see a problem, aside from coding issues, with this site. There's no bells and whistles to draw an Instagram crowd but without
    advertising and a large feeder site to draw from, this is what you get and I think it's pretty great. I say this as an outsider and a taker, so my opinion is really
    just that, I for sure think major content contributors should have the most input.
  • Post #145 - November 20th, 2023, 2:34 pm
    Post #145 - November 20th, 2023, 2:34 pm Post #145 - November 20th, 2023, 2:34 pm

Seconded. Nice to know I'm not the only one who occasionally hopes for NAV MAN updates.

I've been away, yadda yadda reasons, but after being invited to the 100th Dessert Exchange I thought I'd dip a toe back in by subscribing to Events only. Although it insists I'll be notified of new posts and comments, that hasn't happened. I assumed nothing's been happening since, life got distracting, and LTH slips back out of my radar. Not a complaint, just how it is.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #146 - November 20th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    Post #146 - November 20th, 2023, 4:07 pm Post #146 - November 20th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:

Seconded. Nice to know I'm not the only one who occasionally hopes for NAV MAN updates.

I've been away, yadda yadda reasons, but after being invited to the 100th Dessert Exchange I thought I'd dip a toe back in by subscribing to Events only. Although it insists I'll be notified of new posts and comments, that hasn't happened. I assumed nothing's been happening since, life got distracting, and LTH slips back out of my radar. Not a complaint, just how it is.

Hey girl!! Can’t speak to the site notification issue but there is definitely something going on—in a couple of short weeks!!

Hope to see you!

https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47017
  • Post #147 - November 21st, 2023, 1:03 pm
    Post #147 - November 21st, 2023, 1:03 pm Post #147 - November 21st, 2023, 1:03 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Hey girl!! Can’t speak to the site notification issue but there is definitely something going on—in a couple of short weeks!!

Hope to see you!

https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47017

I would love to but that night is book club!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #148 - November 21st, 2023, 11:44 pm
    Post #148 - November 21st, 2023, 11:44 pm Post #148 - November 21st, 2023, 11:44 pm
    I hope the site continues to exist in some form, and I’m grateful for the contributions you all have made over the years. The site was invaluable when I first moved to Chicago in 2006, and learning the personalities and predilections of various members over the years has been a privilege. You guys are great.
  • Post #149 - December 13th, 2023, 1:39 pm
    Post #149 - December 13th, 2023, 1:39 pm Post #149 - December 13th, 2023, 1:39 pm
    I guess it's been a while since I've been here... I used to visit a lot to find the best local places, but since COVID hit we haven't been out or even done carryout. Wife's immunocompromised and hyper-concerned about COVID, so even almost 4 years into this we've yet to eat at an indoor restaurant, eaten at an outdoor restaurant fewer than 10 times, restaurant food pretty limited to what we can get delivered (man, am I sore about New China Station's demise!).

As somebody who's trekked to the far corners of the city in search of some delicacy I learned about here, I'm hoping this site's still around and active whenever I'm FINALLY able to resume doing so.
  • Post #150 - January 11th, 2024, 1:30 pm
    Post #150 - January 11th, 2024, 1:30 pm Post #150 - January 11th, 2024, 1:30 pm
    Seemingly like many, life got in the way of posting in LTH for me.

Main hurdle if rejoining and posting is how difficult posting a picture is. I’d imagine I’d post more if it was a simpler process.

I get out and travel and eat more than ever and would love to share stone crab trips to the keys, return Trips to Nola and Colorado. A current lake perch project in NWI, Etc

For folks that are not wordsmiths. A photo is best

Happy new year.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more